Polishing up the pipes

Tom_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Getting near time to think about winter projects on the old bike. It's in good shape but would be nice to hit the spring looking even better. Anyone have a good way to polish up the pipes?

Thanks
 
My method is pretty simple. Get some Blue Magic, about six bucks at Walmart or Amazon. I take a discarded microfiber, cut it into a wide strip, wrap it around each pipe, put some polish on the pipe, and push/pull until it looks perfect.

I also used it on the years of bluing on the pipes on my Bonneville with great results. Just about 15 minutes of work each month keeps them looking good.
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
+1 on the Stain Magic. Saves a lot of elbow grease.
Yeah, I find once a year application in the spring after the local salt is gone from the roads lasts until the following spring season.

I suppose if it weren't for the road salt, an application could last longer than a year?
 
I use 0000 steel wool to make them glass smooth and then some Mothers Chrome polish.
Been doing that to all my chrome pieces for many years.
0000 steel wool also great for windows.
 
Gold i wonder if you ( or someone else ) could clear up something; i'm using autosol, have done for years since i had a bycicle with success, how does it compare with stainmagic in strength and how do you apply stainmagic, do you let it sit for a while to let the chemicals work?

Just cannot work this out from info on the net as hard as i try, in N.Z. stainmagic is not available and i have to order it from Japan and it is about 3 times the price of autosol and samurider seem out of stock at the moment;
Yoshimura Abrasive Stain Magic Stainless Muffler Cleaner 120g Japan for sale online | eBay

Would like to try stainmagic but i find it hard to prove it has an edge on autosol.
 
Max I use the autosol to polish after using stain magic. The application is about the same. Spread it on, let it sit for a minute and then rub off. It just cleans them up much quicker with less rubbing but it doesn't leave a bright polished finish. That's why I touch up with autosol.
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Max I use the autosol to polish after using stain magic. The application is about the same. Spread it on, let it sit for a minute and then rub off. It just cleans them up much quicker with less rubbing but it doesn't leave a bright polished finish. That's why I touch up with autosol.
Thanks Kiowa eagle, it sounds like you recommend both products then,i had not thought of using them in that way, thanks, that's good info:thumbsup:
 
You may think it’s all about the chemistry (the product) and the final shine. But make sure you do always use ultra soft tissues. Microfiber is not good enough. Chrome is only micro-meters thick. What seems to work well for a long time, can still slowly break the Chrome down.
 
j3gq_imp said:
You may think it’s all about the chemistry (the product) and the final shine. But make sure you do always use ultra soft tissues. Microfiber is not good enough. Chrome is only micro-meters thick. What seems to work well for a long time, can still slowly break the Chrome down.
In this case we are talking about stainless steel headers. I would never recommend using Stain Magic on chrome. It is formulated for stainless steel.
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Max I use the autosol to polish after using stain magic. The application is about the same. Spread it on, let it sit for a minute and then rub off. It just cleans them up much quicker with less rubbing but it doesn't leave a bright polished finish. That's why I touch up with autosol.
(+1) I use an easy metal polish after STAIN-Magic. It gives it that "chrome-like" shine.

I should mention that I use Yoshimura STAIN-Magic on stainless steel headers only.

You don't need a lot of paste to do the job, however, you do have to shake the tube well before dispensing the product.

I think my little tube should last another five years easily.
 
Thanks gentlemen, on that happy note i have ordered a tube from Japan and look forward to the experience when it decides to arrive, i like stuff from japan, always have:D

Progress report to be submitted after product evaluation has been confirmed as requested by the Canadian branch-full stop.
 
max_imp said:
Thanks gentlemen, on that happy note i have ordered a tube from Japan and look forward to the experience when it decides to arrive, i like stuff from japan, always have:D

Progress report to be submitted after product evaluation has been confirmed as requested by the Canadian branch-full stop.
My tube came from Japan too.

Just remember to shake it before use.

And you don't need to use a whole lot.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
We need pics of spoken shiny headers...and the best would be before and after ;)
This job was done at the end of the third week in March, the end of the calendar winter in Canada.

The "before look" (no image) is the typical brown with black splotches and maybe a bit of purple/blue. The black splotches was salt brine washing up against the hot stainless steel headers during winter. In any case, there is no shine. Brown, brown, black.

In Canada, if you have to ride your CB1100 in winter, sometimes it is better to ride in sub-freezing temperatures because the salt will likely be dry. -10C is quite reasonable, although it sucks on the freeway if skin is exposed. -25C on the freeway and your eyes will freeze if you open the visor for less than a minute. It actually begins to hurt in the head.

I really dislike washing bikes, let alone polishing them. I have no patience. But, the headers on the CB1100 are designed to impress the onlooker (*sigh*). Soooo, this job took a total of about 25 minutes (including a 5 minute coating of metal polish to give it the mirror finish). It was a quick job and I didn't focus at all down below. I believe I had to be somewhere else after this picture was taken. This will last until next March. If I took the time maybe during the summer and do the pipes patiently, I might spend about 60 minutes and do it right.

Once the pipes heat up well, the bright chrome look will slightly hue to a very light and uniform gold colour and lock in, just like the day the CB1100 rolled out of the showroom.

 
Sparky80_imp said:
I use 0000 steel wool to make them glass smooth and then some Mothers Chrome polish.
Been doing that to all my chrome pieces for many years.
0000 steel wool also great for windows.

100 percent spot on for chrome detailing


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I always keep 0000 steel wool on hand for chrome, windows and all sorts of stuff. Very handy!

I've made no secret about being a skinflint. When I was shopping for a CB1100, prices of 2013s were considerably lower than anything else, and I considered that part of that included having to work a bit to keep the pipes perfect. Living where it doesn't rain or snow helps quite a bit. But, since I park inside my shop, my coworkers joke with me when they see a tinge of gold on the pipes..."Getting lazy there, aren't you?"
 
Back
Top