Picked up the Quarter horse and first ride report

Thread starter
LOL that's my younger brother. He's 68. He rides a 2016 Triumph Bonneville T-120 now, but like me he's been riding since the late 60's and has had everything from Guzzi's to Goldwings to XT 500 Yamaha's, to 650 Yamahas to CX 650 Honda to 900 Kawasaki. Started out of a Sears moped .Former AMA professional flat tracker. Certified Yamaha/Guzzi mechanic for 7 years and retired firefighter after 22 years. We have ridden hundreds of thousands of miles together.

Our two retro bikes side by side

8d972722e174365dde4388efef21f6bd.jpg


Here we are headed to Gatlinberg in 1972 on his Guzzi Eldorado

07b2ee938bb303c5a25fca6b318ac9a6.jpg


On the Blue Ridge Parkway in 1981 with his Kaw and my Suzuki

025bcf10709ab9229798af2e1cd181cb.jpg


On his (formerly mine) 2003 Bonnie and I'm on a 2000 750 Nighthawk

320206efab6280e1a7cfb92fd82b3b9a.jpg


Men's Fall Trip with me, my nephew, my son's father in law, my son and my brother

189ef29ad8d34f096548b65034096196.jpg
 
Wow, very impressive achievement!!
When I meet him, I owe him an ice cream...
Meantime :beerchug:
 
The ferret_imp said:
LOL that's my younger brother. He's 68. He rides a 2016 Triumph Bonneville T-120 now, but like me he's been riding since the late 60's and has had everything from Guzzi's to Goldwings to XT 500 Yamaha's, to 650 Yamahas to CX 650 Honda to 900 Kawasaki. Started out of a Sears moped .Former AMA professional flat tracker. Certified Yamaha/Guzzi mechanic for 7 years and retired firefighter after 22 years. We have ridden hundreds of thousands of miles together.

Our two retro bikes side by side

8d972722e174365dde4388efef21f6bd.jpg


Here we are headed to Gatlinberg in 1972 on his Guzzi Eldorado

07b2ee938bb303c5a25fca6b318ac9a6.jpg


On the Blue Ridge Parkway in 1981 with his Kaw and my Suzuki

025bcf10709ab9229798af2e1cd181cb.jpg


On his (formerly mine) 2003 Bonnie and I'm on a 2000 750 Nighthawk

320206efab6280e1a7cfb92fd82b3b9a.jpg


Men's Fall Trip with me, my nephew, my son's father in law, my son and my brother

189ef29ad8d34f096548b65034096196.jpg
"The Ferret" you look mighty good on that Nighthawk. How long did you have it?:thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
clearview, I had it a few years. It had a lot of nice things about it. No smog stuff, easy to put pads on and bleed the single front disc and put drum rear shoes on it. I ran a clip masterlink chain so that was easy to replace. I loved the hydraulic valves. I put a plexi fairing on it. All in all a good bike.

7cb5c691f23f15c2dca7024365fb2fe7.jpg
 
The ferret_imp said:
clearview, I had it a few years. It had a lot of nice things about it. No smog stuff, easy to put pads on and bleed the single front disc and put drum rear shoes on it. I ran a clip masterlink chain so that was easy to replace. I loved the hydraulic valves. I put a plexi fairing on it. All in all a good bike.

9f6852f93ea95f2a724026f9a7c1f024.jpg
Nice nighthawk! My first bike was a 93 nighthawk 750. Great bike.

I wish honda would come out with another 750.


Are you able to hit 60mph in second gear on the nc? I have been eyeing the blue nc750 myself.

Edit: you have the dct version so I imagine it is already in top gear by 60
 
Thread starter
Dude_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
clearview, I had it a few years. It had a lot of nice things about it. No smog stuff, easy to put pads on and bleed the single front disc and put drum rear shoes on it. I ran a clip masterlink chain so that was easy to replace. I loved the hydraulic valves. I put a plexi fairing on it. All in all a good bike.

9f6852f93ea95f2a724026f9a7c1f024.jpg
Nice nighthawk! My first bike was a 93 nighthawk 750. Great bike.

I wish honda would come out with another 750.


Are you able to hit 60mph in second gear on the nc? I have been eyeing the blue nc750 myself.

Edit: you have the dct version so I imagine it is already in top gear by 60
A I doubt I'd even TRY and hit 60 in second. I don't do that on my CB. And yes the DCT is in 6th by about 45 in std mode.

Todays ride 58 miles. Much better, as I didn't try and grab the clutch OR shift with my foot. I even had a white tail fawn run right out in the road ahead of me, maybe 25 yards, and I just applied lots of brakes (and didn't grab for the clutch) and it turned around and ran back in the woods. I took that as a good sign that I'm getting used to the bike.

On the other hand I went by a buddy's house, went to blow the horn, and downshifted to fifth lol. Dang it. Got to get used to this switch

BTW being able to downshift while in drive is a pretty cool feature and I used it twice on today's ride while riding in standard mode going into an uphill curve, and into a series of down hill curves

Also tried Sport mode and it's pretty aggressive if you ask me. The roads I ride and at the speeds I ride, it kind of held it in 4th the whole time. Seemed to shift about 4500 rpms vs 3200 rpms for the standard mode.

I also pulled off the "wear a helmet read the manual sticker" off the frunk lid and put some clear static sheeting on the center between the frunk ribs where my lanyard camera was hitting it.
 
It might have been cool if Honda did a "shift by wire" foot lever instead of the handlebar buttons. Would be more natural and quick to deploy.

Tap down, tap up for manual mode

Push and hold (up or down) to go back to D
 
Stichill_imp said:
It might have been cool if Honda did a "shift by wire" foot lever instead of the handlebar buttons. Would be more natural and quick to deploy.

Tap down, tap up for manual mode

Push and hold (up or down) to go back to D
The earlier 2009+ Aprilia Mana had a foot shift by wire as well as paddle shifters. I basically never used it. But, it was a smooth as heck. The paddle switches were faster to use.

Some Africa Twin folks put an optional Honda accessory to foot shift the DCT. It is very expensive.
 
Thread starter
When you hit a paddle shifter, it shifts instantly, faster than any human including Pee Wee Gleason could shift. It's crazy.
tj_gee_imp said:
How's the frunk working out, ferret?
Frunk is huge, just swallows up stuff lol. Like a giant built in tank bag that's not as accessible lol.
 
Thread starter
Yes, it is efficient. Fast it's not.... considering I traded in a 145 hp Yamaha FJR lol. It does cruise nicely at 70 mph though.

70 is 3750 rpm thereabouts

254d3b02a05d599932ddaae92aa99657.jpg


60 about 3200

0c6291652ee89d191f30252941482e0b.jpg


55 about 2700

3eb2b5bc34703b2831d12a686254f927.jpg



I rode 81 miles today. Filled it up after going through it's first full tank of gas, went 185 miles used 2.49 gallons of fuel, so averaged 74 miles per gallon. Also got it's first ride in the rain. Being pretty didn't last long lol

Also today I neither reached for the clutch lever or moved my foot over to shift not even once. I did blow the horn trying to cancel my turn signal lol.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Yes, it is efficient. Fast it's not.... considering I traded in a 145 hp Yamaha FJR lol. It does cruise nicely at 70 mph though.

70 is 3750 rpm thereabouts

d85eee78cc855bc17005142cdb6c0f17.jpg


60 about 3200

220fedb51214c4134c92ee73fd0cf21c.jpg


55 about 2700

b010f36ac045f6fd1412ebddeb9021e5.jpg



I rode 81 miles today. Filled it up after going through it's first full tank of gas, went 185 miles used 2.49 gallons of fuel, so averaged 74 miles per gallon. Also got it's first ride in the rain. Being pretty didn't last long lol

Also today I neither reached for the clutch lever or moved my foot over to shift not even once. I did blow the horn trying to cancel my turn signal lol.
Holy crap that is awesome! That mpg is better than most 300cc scooters lol. Is it buzzy at 70 or just overall smooth throughout?

Just dont forget about your clutch when you hop on your CB :D
 
Yeah, the NC750X is likely to most fuel efficient 750 twin class bike made today. I found the NC not buzzy at speed and when used in Manual Mode or in Sport Mode, could romp up to freeway speed confidently enough.

Remember: It is only about 55 to 58 hp, depending on the model year.
 
Thread starter
Dude_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Yes, it is efficient. Fast it's not.... considering I traded in a 145 hp Yamaha FJR lol. It does cruise nicely at 70 mph though.

70 is 3750 rpm thereabouts

d85eee78cc855bc17005142cdb6c0f17.jpg


60 about 3200

220fedb51214c4134c92ee73fd0cf21c.jpg


55 about 2700

b010f36ac045f6fd1412ebddeb9021e5.jpg



I rode 81 miles today. Filled it up after going through it's first full tank of gas, went 185 miles used 2.49 gallons of fuel, so averaged 74 miles per gallon. Also got it's first ride in the rain. Being pretty didn't last long lol

Also today I neither reached for the clutch lever or moved my foot over to shift not even once. I did blow the horn trying to cancel my turn signal lol.
Holy crap that is awesome! That mpg is better than most 300cc scooters lol. Is it buzzy at 70 or just overall smooth throughout?

Just dont forget about your clutch when you hop on your CB :D
It's not buzzy because it's a 270 degree twin which means at low rpms it's lumpy like a V twin but smooths out as rpms and speed increases. It's actually quite comfortable at 65-70 mph, which is as fast as I have ridden so far. But it will probably never see over 80 with me on it.
 
When I picked up Sparky's 2015 NC700X in Jacksonville I rode it home, a trip of about 100 miles. About half on I-95 and the rest rural two lanes near home. I was amazed at the smoothness of the motor and it's relaxed feeling at 80+ mph. First tank she recorded 72mpg average. The larger screen has cut my mileage down and now averaging about 68mpg.

Remember when 750's were thought of as big displacement bikes? The NC and Suzuki's V-strom have shown me that a medium displacement bike is all that's needed for long distance travel.
 
750s were very adequate. I rode a GT- 750 Suzuki back and forth between Syracuse NY and Edmonton Alberta several times. The two stroke oil fill under the seat and keeping the chain lubed were the hassles.
 
Thread starter
Willmarth_imp said:
Thanks for the detailed info on the NC750 DCT and the priceless pictures of you and your brother. Love the old Guzzi and Nighthawk. I have 8,000 miles on this DCT Wing and it took a few thousand miles to get used to it. Now I consider it magic.

https://i.vgy.me/HtcDXl.jpg[/img]]

Thanks, yea my brother and I have been riding all over the country for a looonnnggg time lol

I'll bet the DCT IS awesome with the power of the Goldwing motor behind it. Good looking bike!

I only have 310 miles on it so far, but I recognize the DCT's brilliance.
 
Back
Top