Painting chrome?

White Dog_imp said:
Anyone had any success spray painting chrome--like black paint? Will it stick?
The answer is powdercoat. The item will get sanded to a base - possibly bare metal, then electro-sprayed with a paint powder, then baked in an oven apx 450 degrees F for 20-30 minutes. This assumes the part is capable of taking the heat. No rubber, oil, seals, ... Depending on where you go, who you know, inexpensive or $$$.
 
Please post pictures after completed. I'm going through the same debate. Plastidip isn't the solution for me... I tried it, but too dificult for fine work. Plus if you remove parts to plastidip nicely, you have to re attach everything. tightening of any bolts will stretch / twist/ rip. .. all the nice work you did with the plastidip.

Paint or powder coat seem to be the only solution in my book. If it is a part that isn't heated during operation or constantly abused (Foot pegs). I believe the best solution would be to lightly sand the chrome and to spray paint it.
 
I have had decent results painting chrome but the prep is very important and I would not recommend using rattle cans.
Here is my process
First rough up the surface with 180 grit sand paper.
Then use a catalyzed epoxy primer for grip.
Then a sandable primer to make sure any scratches are gone.
Finally paint.
Some painters will recommend an etching primer first but some do not. I have had good results with PPG Epoxy primer.
Let us know how it works after you are done. Always like looking at good paint jobs.:)
 
Moini:hello:

why painting?
perhaps you can foiling it!

it's durable and there no damage to the chromfinish, because you can remove it:idea:
it's available in all colors! May be you can do it by yourself!


Have a nice day
T:cool:M
 
Thread starter
Tom CUX_imp said:
Moini:hello:

why painting?
perhaps you can foiling it!

it's durable and there no damage to the chromfinish, because you can remove it:idea:
it's available in all colors! May be you can do it by yourself!


Have a nice day
T:cool:M
Trying to get my chrome pegs and mounts black to match the Motech bars and black engine.
JF Coastal_imp said:
Please post pictures after completed. I'm going through the same debate. Plastidip isn't the solution for me... I tried it, but too dificult for fine work. Plus if you remove parts to plastidip nicely, you have to re attach everything. tightening of any bolts will stretch / twist/ rip. .. all the nice work you did with the plastidip.

Paint or powder coat seem to be the only solution in my book. If it is a part that isn't heated during operation or constantly abused (Foot pegs). I believe the best solution would be to lightly sand the chrome and to spray paint it.
I think I can block off areas I don't want sprayed and just do the mounting clamps, arms and pegs while they are in position on the cycle. Plastidip is the most accessible to me, as I live no more than 10 minutes from Lowes. I could have black pegs by this time tomorrow, but I'll probably wait until Saturday. Too much humidity around right now. Have had hard rain so far today and more is on the way. Power coating is probably the best idea thus far but the cost is prohibitive and there is always a timing issue.
 
Thread starter
I now have both sides completed and the chrome arms and pegs mounted on the black Motech bars do not look bad at all. There is some chrome on my black engine, the forks are chrome plus the muffler is stainless so I'm going to rethink this project.
 
Back
Top