Paint Flaking - Spark Plug Manifold

Thread starter
The paint is flaking off the Spark Plug Manifolds on Pot 1 & 2 on my bike which has done about 4k Miles.

Anyone else noticed this?

It's not the end of the world but a bit poor on a bike of such low mileage. I don't think it can have anything to do with weather or damp as this area sees very little spray. Fins all around are fine.

It concerns me more that its just Cyl. 1 and 2. 1 more so than 2. Thinking it could be a heat problem. Any thoughts on this or any one else had the same happen?

I'm going to get the dealer to service it in a week or two, so i'll bring it up then....

Kev
 
How about some pics? Im having trouble picturing where you are describing.

There was some reported paint flaking on cylinder fins back in 2013 on the black motors I think. Ack may have had an issue with it, and I know of 1 in Britain. There may have been a couple of others, but certainly isolated cases. Both of those bikes sat outside covered I think. Going from memory here.

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1924

Keep us informed as to what Honda says.
 
Ferret, that is pretty much what I remember too. This is the first complaint I've seen since Ack. I just looked at mine (a 2013) and everything looks fine.
 
I had a little flake come off of my '13 probably 15 months ago. At the time I kind of flipped out about it, but folks on the forum here talked me off the ledge. My main was concern was the possibility of losing more of the finish, but I'm pleased to say that nothing at all is changed. Mine is about 2 x 4 mm in size, between cooling fins on the right side if the engine. Maybe at some point, years (15? 20?) from now I'll consider having the case repowder coated. For now, I'm just loving my time with the bike! :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
That would be one advantage of the shiny metal cases......never thought about the paint flaking off the case, bike was too purty to even think about it!
 
Flaky fin paint here as well. I have reached a zen-like acceptance of my bike accruing aspects of use to the point where I simply accept that which is out of my control. Much like the oxidation around the top of the engine. Can't do much about it, too expensive to fix. if the bike still runs, ride it.
 
Obliviontoad_imp said:
Flaky fin paint here as well. I have reached a zen-like acceptance of my bike accruing aspects of use to the point where I simply accept that which is out of my control. Much like the oxidation around the top of the engine. Can't do much about it, too expensive to fix. if the bike still runs, ride it.
Most guys just can't do that. Good for you that you can. You will be much happier in the short and long term for it.

I have come to realization that nothing I ever have will remain perfect. Everything I own will acquire it's own beauty marks from use. Some if easy enough I will take care of, others if too difficult will just be part of that vehicles character. I rode thru an area they were spraying road paint with my ST 1300 on vacation in the UP one year. Didn't realize till hours and hundreds of miles later my shiny black bike got a custom white speckle paint job from front fender to rear license plate. Every square inch was speckled, like my bike had been run thru some kind of vacuum paint booth. Nothing I could do about it at that point. Named it STarship and cut out a little decal of an Xwing fighter from Star Wars (because the white specks look like stars in the black outer space)and put it on the nose of the fairing. Only bike like it around now. It's unique, and it's mine. No sense blowing a gasket over it, the bike has taken me all over the country in grand style. Paint specks had no affect on that. Resale down the drain? Probably, but I don't care. When I am done putting miles on it, no one is going to give me anything for it anyway.

Ride more...worry less :thumbsup:




.
 
I had some black flaking on my fins also. Black nail polish to the rescue.
The flaking has stopped so I think it was just maybe improper applications in those two tiny areas. I live with it as my dealer said Mother Honda said nothing could be done. It was still on warranty when I first spotted it.
 
Wow, even the silver engine cases/fins are doing it?

I've had Honda ATC 250 Big Reds that don't show that kind of damage almost 30 years after the build date
 
Thread starter
Here are the pics....

I'm away at the mo but looking at it, I'm not sure if one is worse than the other.
Only on 1&2 tho...

e1d85e47dda4be6999920a5b32b2443d.jpg


4f7a8b0aefd0f61babbc9344be1c9a3b.jpg


http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/...00EX K10 Paint Flake/IMG_4203_zps2vtmumqj.jpg
Another pic.

Just to clarify, it's on the Spark Plug Mounts on the top of the Cyl's.

I think they are inserts, into the cyl.
33d67be5fb41dfed9daee31e88d4d6be.jpg

kev
 
On the parts list that thing is called the cover, plug hole. A new one can be had online for around $19 plus there is a gasket under it for sealing the oil.

I would think you could remove them and paint or powder coat them.

As far as I'm concerned, Honda should replace them as it looks like paint failure due to improper surface prep.
 
And the rest of the paint on the motor is ok? I don't think anyone has reported an issue there. Weird. The good news is, cheap, easy to get to, and I would think Honda would replace those under warranty, however warranty with any company any more is a crap shoot.

Keep us informed.

One other question and I bet Honda will ask this, was this bike washed with a high pressure hose like at a car wash?
 
Thread starter
Hey All,
Just an update....

I sent pics to the Honda dealer I bought the bike from and he's replacing the parts, when I take it in for a service next week.
All on warranty, All good and no quibbles.
My worry was overheating, I'll take some temps with a laser thermometer later in the week and have a check. I think it would have to be stupid hot and I'd know about it.
I'm fitting a new cat free exhaust and the air box funnel and intake mods later this week and so I'll have to get it dyno'do after. If it is running lean then that should sort it, if indeed there is any prob.
Most likly just some bad prep/paint.
 
Thanks for the update Beardy. Nice to see Honda step up!
 
Back
Top