Inhouse Bob
Road warrior
Terrific reportage and photos. Thanks so much for sharing.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
No reason at all. Your story answers in the affirmative—again—the question of whether the CB is an OK touring bike.Cormanus_imp said:No reason at all. Your story answers in the affirmative—again—the question of whether the CB is an OK touring bike.pdedse_imp said:Yep! And I love that feeling...of course, in modern times we know the Rockies, will come...the sun will rise...but first peoples? What made them so sure things would be better by marching toward the sunset, sunrise? It's a good feeling out there to think the cb has taken me this far, why shouldn't it continue to do so?Cormanus_imp said:You look at views like that and wonder how there could ever be a hill anywhere.
Thanks, EmptySea...the view from beartooth is easy to see see beauty... the view from west oberlin, ks has a beauty of its own...maybe growing up in ks was training to appreciate the latterEmptySea_imp said:Thank you for capturing the beauty of the plains states. "Flat" is sometimes mistaken for "boring", but your story and pictures dismisses that notion.
Thanks for taking a look!Inhouse Bob_imp said:Terrific reportage and photos. Thanks so much for sharing.
I hope your long ride becomes reality.dsan1964_imp said:I love it ...thanks time to plan.. a long ride...
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You mean there was some doubt to that?!? 9.7 times out of 10 it's attitude I'd say...and how much time you got.pdedse_imp said:No reason at all. Your story answers in the affirmative—again—the question of whether the CB is an OK touring bike.Cormanus_imp said:No reason at all. Your story answers in the affirmative—again—the question of whether the CB is an OK touring bike.pdedse_imp said:Yep! And I love that feeling...of course, in modern times we know the Rockies, will come...the sun will rise...but first peoples? What made them so sure things would be better by marching toward the sunset, sunrise? It's a good feeling out there to think the cb has taken me this far, why shouldn't it continue to do so?Cormanus_imp said:You look at views like that and wonder how there could ever be a hill anywhere.
Thanks, EmptySea...the view from beartooth is easy to see see beauty... the view from west oberlin, ks has a beauty of its own...maybe growing up in ks was training to appreciate the latterEmptySea_imp said:Thank you for capturing the beauty of the plains states. "Flat" is sometimes mistaken for "boring", but your story and pictures dismisses that notion.
You mean there was some doubt to that?!? 9.7 times out of 10 it's attitude I'd say...and how much time you got.
Thanks for taking a look!Inhouse Bob_imp said:Terrific reportage and photos. Thanks so much for sharing.
I hope your long ride becomes reality.dsan1964_imp said:I love it ...thanks time to plan.. a long ride...
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You mean there was some doubt to that?!? 9.7 times out of 10 it's attitude I'd say...and how much time you got.Cormanus_imp said:You mean there was some doubt to that?!? 9.7 times out of 10 it's attitude I'd say...and how much time you got.pdedse_imp said:No reason at all. Your story answers in the affirmative—again—the question of whether the CB is an OK touring bike.Cormanus_imp said:No reason at all. Your story answers in the affirmative—again—the question of whether the CB is an OK touring bike.pdedse_imp said:Yep! And I love that feeling...of course, in modern times we know the Rockies, will come...the sun will rise...but first peoples? What made them so sure things would be better by marching toward the sunset, sunrise? It's a good feeling out there to think the cb has taken me this far, why shouldn't it continue to do so?Cormanus_imp said:You look at views like that and wonder how there could ever be a hill anywhere.
Thanks, EmptySea...the view from beartooth is easy to see see beauty... the view from west oberlin, ks has a beauty of its own...maybe growing up in ks was training to appreciate the latterEmptySea_imp said:Thank you for capturing the beauty of the plains states. "Flat" is sometimes mistaken for "boring", but your story and pictures dismisses that notion.
You mean there was some doubt to that?!? 9.7 times out of 10 it's attitude I'd say...and how much time you got.
Thanks for taking a look!Inhouse Bob_imp said:Terrific reportage and photos. Thanks so much for sharing.
I hope your long ride becomes reality.dsan1964_imp said:I love it ...thanks time to plan.. a long ride...
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not in my mind, but there was a quite lengthy discussion about it once, and it raises its head from time to time.
Give or take 2,000 kms.pdedse_imp said:Up to this point in the trip...6 riding days to Illinois, 6 days visiting mom there, then Springfield, MO 1 night, Topeka, KS 3 nights and I was to spend 3 nights in Denver as well. As promised, my sis had dinner waiting for me after the long ride, basically all Saturday, the 10th of Sept.
![]()
Didn't spend much time site-seeing in Denver, rather just got a feel for what it's like to live in a metropolitan downtown area. Everything is within walking distance...that's kind of nice. Sis lives 5 minute walk from work, 5 minutes from grocery store, 5 minutes from outstanding restaurants...but a good 30-40 minutes to escape from it all.
![]()
I live in Gresham, OR, about 25-30 minutes from downtown Portland. But I'm only 10 minutes from work and country roads, so that's not too bad.
Confluence of Platte River and Cherry Creek
![]()
The Platte was a river that we always crossed when I was a kid traveling north from KS to NB to visit the grandfolk's farm. I enjoyed connecting the rivers on this trip geographically.
You mean there was some doubt to that?!? 9.7 times out of 10 it's attitude I'd say...and how much time you got.Cormanus_imp said:You mean there was some doubt to that?!? 9.7 times out of 10 it's attitude I'd say...and how much time you got.pdedse_imp said:No reason at all. Your story answers in the affirmative—again—the question of whether the CB is an OK touring bike.Cormanus_imp said:No reason at all. Your story answers in the affirmative—again—the question of whether the CB is an OK touring bike.pdedse_imp said:Yep! And I love that feeling...of course, in modern times we know the Rockies, will come...the sun will rise...but first peoples? What made them so sure things would be better by marching toward the sunset, sunrise? It's a good feeling out there to think the cb has taken me this far, why shouldn't it continue to do so?Cormanus_imp said:You look at views like that and wonder how there could ever be a hill anywhere.
Thanks, EmptySea...the view from beartooth is easy to see see beauty... the view from west oberlin, ks has a beauty of its own...maybe growing up in ks was training to appreciate the latterEmptySea_imp said:Thank you for capturing the beauty of the plains states. "Flat" is sometimes mistaken for "boring", but your story and pictures dismisses that notion.
You mean there was some doubt to that?!? 9.7 times out of 10 it's attitude I'd say...and how much time you got.
Thanks for taking a look!Inhouse Bob_imp said:Terrific reportage and photos. Thanks so much for sharing.
I hope your long ride becomes reality.dsan1964_imp said:I love it ...thanks time to plan.. a long ride...
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not in my mind, but there was a quite lengthy discussion about it once, and it raises its head from time to time.
Not in my mind, but there was a quite lengthy discussion about it once, and it raises its head from time to time. Right! I've seen a bit of your road trips. AND...my only sib I didn't get to visit this trip lives in Adelaide...you guys are prolly neighbors! : )
Day 10: Denver to Green River, UT: 361 miles
Tuesday, the 13th. Weather was kind of getting iffy, colder and colder temps seem to be in store for me in the mountains. I had originally thought about heading for Yellowstone, but a news report of some snow there (later a member here said it wasn't all that), but also me running out of time made me think the best thing was to leave that for another trip and take a more linear route home, yet still not hurried. Leaving Denver meant for me getting back on 70, and soon I was enshrouded in misty fog, and I was happy to already have every stitch of clothing I could manage to get on for the temps were at 37 in the highest elevations.
Frisco, CO, some 11,000ft
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
The Eisenhower Tunnel is 1.7 miles (2.7k) long and its elevation is 11,158...pretty cool structure although I didn't stop to take pics. It was the beginning of the descent and I was happy to be headin' down the mountain and not too cold nor wet.
Vail, Avon, Edwards, Gypsum...some names I had only heard of before and if you had asked me before the trip, I wouldn't have guessed they were off I-70, but no stops, it just feels too good to ride sometimes and enjoy what you and the bike are doing. Plus it was warming up a little and that made me want to just keep going.
![]()
![]()
Really need to come back another day with more time to ride and hike. Glenwood Springs canyon area looked very inviting.
![]()
![]()
At Glenwood Canyon, stopped for yet another Subway sandwich, but this time I got behind some Amish gents who were ordering for the entire family, at least 15 sandwiches, and it totalled $178 which the guy paid for with 2 $100 bills. Cool. Time to head for Grand Junction. Another town, that if you think about its name, it ought to cause you to think about gas. I did fill up, but...there wasn't a lot else for sometime after.

Give or take 2,000 kms.Cormanus_imp said:Give or take 2,000 kms.pdedse_imp said:Up to this point in the trip...6 riding days to Illinois, 6 days visiting mom there, then Springfield, MO 1 night, Topeka, KS 3 nights and I was to spend 3 nights in Denver as well. As promised, my sis had dinner waiting for me after the long ride, basically all Saturday, the 10th of Sept.
![]()
Didn't spend much time site-seeing in Denver, rather just got a feel for what it's like to live in a metropolitan downtown area. Everything is within walking distance...that's kind of nice. Sis lives 5 minute walk from work, 5 minutes from grocery store, 5 minutes from outstanding restaurants...but a good 30-40 minutes to escape from it all.
![]()
I live in Gresham, OR, about 25-30 minutes from downtown Portland. But I'm only 10 minutes from work and country roads, so that's not too bad.
Confluence of Platte River and Cherry Creek
![]()
The Platte was a river that we always crossed when I was a kid traveling north from KS to NB to visit the grandfolk's farm. I enjoyed connecting the rivers on this trip geographically.
You mean there was some doubt to that?!? 9.7 times out of 10 it's attitude I'd say...and how much time you got.Cormanus_imp said:You mean there was some doubt to that?!? 9.7 times out of 10 it's attitude I'd say...and how much time you got.pdedse_imp said:No reason at all. Your story answers in the affirmative—again—the question of whether the CB is an OK touring bike.Cormanus_imp said:No reason at all. Your story answers in the affirmative—again—the question of whether the CB is an OK touring bike.pdedse_imp said:Yep! And I love that feeling...of course, in modern times we know the Rockies, will come...the sun will rise...but first peoples? What made them so sure things would be better by marching toward the sunset, sunrise? It's a good feeling out there to think the cb has taken me this far, why shouldn't it continue to do so?Cormanus_imp said:You look at views like that and wonder how there could ever be a hill anywhere.
Thanks, EmptySea...the view from beartooth is easy to see see beauty... the view from west oberlin, ks has a beauty of its own...maybe growing up in ks was training to appreciate the latterEmptySea_imp said:Thank you for capturing the beauty of the plains states. "Flat" is sometimes mistaken for "boring", but your story and pictures dismisses that notion.
You mean there was some doubt to that?!? 9.7 times out of 10 it's attitude I'd say...and how much time you got.
Thanks for taking a look!Inhouse Bob_imp said:Terrific reportage and photos. Thanks so much for sharing.
I hope your long ride becomes reality.dsan1964_imp said:I love it ...thanks time to plan.. a long ride...
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not in my mind, but there was a quite lengthy discussion about it once, and it raises its head from time to time.
Not in my mind, but there was a quite lengthy discussion about it once, and it raises its head from time to time. Right! I've seen a bit of your road trips. AND...my only sib I didn't get to visit this trip lives in Adelaide...you guys are prolly neighbors! : )
Day 10: Denver to Green River, UT: 361 miles
Tuesday, the 13th. Weather was kind of getting iffy, colder and colder temps seem to be in store for me in the mountains. I had originally thought about heading for Yellowstone, but a news report of some snow there (later a member here said it wasn't all that), but also me running out of time made me think the best thing was to leave that for another trip and take a more linear route home, yet still not hurried. Leaving Denver meant for me getting back on 70, and soon I was enshrouded in misty fog, and I was happy to already have every stitch of clothing I could manage to get on for the temps were at 37 in the highest elevations.
Frisco, CO, some 11,000ft
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
The Eisenhower Tunnel is 1.7 miles (2.7k) long and its elevation is 11,158...pretty cool structure although I didn't stop to take pics. It was the beginning of the descent and I was happy to be headin' down the mountain and not too cold nor wet.
Vail, Avon, Edwards, Gypsum...some names I had only heard of before and if you had asked me before the trip, I wouldn't have guessed they were off I-70, but no stops, it just feels too good to ride sometimes and enjoy what you and the bike are doing. Plus it was warming up a little and that made me want to just keep going.
![]()
![]()
Really need to come back another day with more time to ride and hike. Glenwood Springs canyon area looked very inviting.
![]()
![]()
At Glenwood Canyon, stopped for yet another Subway sandwich, but this time I got behind some Amish gents who were ordering for the entire family, at least 15 sandwiches, and it totalled $178 which the guy paid for with 2 $100 bills. Cool. Time to head for Grand Junction. Another town, that if you think about its name, it ought to cause you to think about gas. I did fill up, but...there wasn't a lot else for sometime after.![]()

I lived in AZ for 9 years before accepting a job in OR. I've thought a lot about that claustrophobic feeling...I think it's a combination of the trees swallowing up the light, the horizon is not longer flat and straight, often times it's not there because of hills and forests, and here in OR the clouds come in as a massive frontal system and it lowers the ceiling so to speak. When I go ride along the Columbia River or out on a boat on it, I feel free! Yes, the NW is beautiful and all that, mountain curves are fun of course, but it's that openness that makes me happy when I ride the states of this trip.curlyjoe_imp said:Wonderful pictures and ride report pdedse!
I do miss the wide open spaces of the west and mid-west from time to time since I grew up in ND.
In the Northeast, panoramic views are rare and most of my riding is trees to the right and trees to the left. When I first moved here it felt claustrophobic!
Thanks Inhouse Bob, some of the photos pre-Denver are flatter than KS...I'm gonna assume you mean the post-Denver photos in the mountains. Indeed, beautiful, makes you feel like taking a lot more time to "do it right".Inhouse Bob_imp said:Your photos from outside Denver are terrific. God's Country for sure.
I wasn't too sure. At the rest stop people were out there walking on them, taking pictures, and I at least had in mind to walk out there, but kind of spaced it off.Cormanus_imp said:Fantastic photos. Again. Like the Ferret, I like mountains, so that escarpment really appeals.
Are you allowed to ride on the salt flat? Although you'd probably not want the stuff too near the bike.
Thanks for the comments throughout, Cormanus. Yes, that was the couple. I was actually in Costa Rica at the time of their ride and we had made tentative plans for them to meet up with me as I'm there with study abroad groups every other year. Alas, I had to leave CR before they got there. Personally, I would have chosen a different bike to go thru Central America primarily because a much smaller displacement bike can do all you need to do, and a dual purpose bike can take you to places that I wouldn't be comfortable on the CB1100. But I did like their attitude with the CBs. My ride in Costa Rica? A Honda CGL125!Cormanus_imp said:pdedse, thanks again for takin us along on this ride. Fantastic to have the contrast between the mountains and the wide-open spaces. While my preference is mountains and roads that twist and turn a bit, I've never regretted trips to the flatlands as they have their own beauty which is well worth a look—even if only to remind oneself that the world really is round!
This CB1100 is a great bike isn't it? I was thinking of a way to describe it and the words 'no-fuss' came to mind. You just get on it and ride all day and it keeps on going quietly and efficiently hauling you and your gear—even a big load—without a murmur of complaint. And, as you say, when you get home, you have the feeling that you'd just rather keep on riding. That couple you mentioned from ADV rider were from Belgium, is that right? They joined up here briefly. As I recall they were going on into South America but had to abandon the trip because her back needed serious treatment. They rode their CBs through pretty much everything and they took it all.
Thanks again. Go riding again as soon as you can so we can tag along again!
Thanks, Ferret, glad to know that you enjoy the road reports, I cetainly do. Clarification, you thought the cb1100 was tiny or the other bike you were riding?The ferret_imp said:Haven't been posting to this for the last week because I was on our annual Men's Fall Trip which I will be doing a seat time report for. At night i would check in with my I pad and do a little modding and answer a few "easy" threads but wanted to wait until I got home to digest the rest of your report pdedse and I'm glad I did was well worth the wait and just a fantastic seat time report. Glad everything went well and you arrived home safely.
Had to laugh about you saddling up a squirrel comment. My CB went on the Mens Fall Trip this year but not with me in the saddle. A nephew from Nevada flew in to join us this year and I loaned him the CB as it was closest to what he rides back in Nevada, an NC700. I rode the ST. This morning I got up to go for my morning ride as usual and couln't wait to get back on my CB. After 7 days and 1400 miles on the ST, it felt so light and responsive, maybe too much so. I was riding down the road and said to myself "this thing is so tiny". I'm only 5'6".... I can't imagine being 6'4" and riding one. It has to feel like a mini bike.
Anyhow, thanks again for the great report. I enjoyed it immensly. The pics and narration were all outstanding.