Oregon, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, etc

Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
You look at views like that and wonder how there could ever be a hill anywhere.
Yep! And I love that feeling...of course, in modern times we know the Rockies, will come...the sun will rise...but first peoples? What made them so sure things would be better by marching toward the sunset, sunrise? It's a good feeling out there to think the cb has taken me this far, why shouldn't it continue to do so?
EmptySea_imp said:
Thank you for capturing the beauty of the plains states. "Flat" is sometimes mistaken for "boring", but your story and pictures dismisses that notion.
Thanks, EmptySea...the view from beartooth is easy to see see beauty... the view from west oberlin, ks has a beauty of its own...maybe growing up in ks was training to appreciate the latter
No reason at all. Your story answers in the affirmative—again—the question of whether the CB is an OK touring bike.
No reason at all. Your story answers in the affirmative—again—the question of whether the CB is an OK touring bike.
You mean there was some doubt to that?!? 9.7 times out of 10 it's attitude I'd say...and how much time you got.
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Terrific reportage and photos. Thanks so much for sharing.
Thanks for taking a look!
dsan1964_imp said:
I love it ...thanks time to plan.. a long ride...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I hope your long ride becomes reality.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
You look at views like that and wonder how there could ever be a hill anywhere.
Yep! And I love that feeling...of course, in modern times we know the Rockies, will come...the sun will rise...but first peoples? What made them so sure things would be better by marching toward the sunset, sunrise? It's a good feeling out there to think the cb has taken me this far, why shouldn't it continue to do so?
EmptySea_imp said:
Thank you for capturing the beauty of the plains states. "Flat" is sometimes mistaken for "boring", but your story and pictures dismisses that notion.
Thanks, EmptySea...the view from beartooth is easy to see see beauty... the view from west oberlin, ks has a beauty of its own...maybe growing up in ks was training to appreciate the latter
No reason at all. Your story answers in the affirmative—again—the question of whether the CB is an OK touring bike.
No reason at all. Your story answers in the affirmative—again—the question of whether the CB is an OK touring bike.
You mean there was some doubt to that?!? 9.7 times out of 10 it's attitude I'd say...and how much time you got.
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Terrific reportage and photos. Thanks so much for sharing.
Thanks for taking a look!
dsan1964_imp said:
I love it ...thanks time to plan.. a long ride...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I hope your long ride becomes reality.
You mean there was some doubt to that?!? 9.7 times out of 10 it's attitude I'd say...and how much time you got.
Not in my mind, but there was a quite lengthy discussion about it once, and it raises its head from time to time.
 
Thread starter
Up to this point in the trip...6 riding days to Illinois, 6 days visiting mom there, then Springfield, MO 1 night, Topeka, KS 3 nights and I was to spend 3 nights in Denver as well. As promised, my sis had dinner waiting for me after the long ride, basically all Saturday, the 10th of Sept.
e60a0f62d60ecb0a286223f39920a960.jpg

Didn't spend much time site-seeing in Denver, rather just got a feel for what it's like to live in a metropolitan downtown area. Everything is within walking distance...that's kind of nice. Sis lives 5 minute walk from work, 5 minutes from grocery store, 5 minutes from outstanding restaurants...but a good 30-40 minutes to escape from it all.
f4899bfcc6b223ec705b97bc6b15aaa0.jpg

I live in Gresham, OR, about 25-30 minutes from downtown Portland. But I'm only 10 minutes from work and country roads, so that's not too bad.
Confluence of Platte River and Cherry Creek
fbb027820b0712a0074a5338b41f8bf8.jpg

The Platte was a river that we always crossed when I was a kid traveling north from KS to NB to visit the grandfolk's farm. I enjoyed connecting the rivers on this trip geographically.
Cormanus_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
You look at views like that and wonder how there could ever be a hill anywhere.
Yep! And I love that feeling...of course, in modern times we know the Rockies, will come...the sun will rise...but first peoples? What made them so sure things would be better by marching toward the sunset, sunrise? It's a good feeling out there to think the cb has taken me this far, why shouldn't it continue to do so?
EmptySea_imp said:
Thank you for capturing the beauty of the plains states. "Flat" is sometimes mistaken for "boring", but your story and pictures dismisses that notion.
Thanks, EmptySea...the view from beartooth is easy to see see beauty... the view from west oberlin, ks has a beauty of its own...maybe growing up in ks was training to appreciate the latter
No reason at all. Your story answers in the affirmative—again—the question of whether the CB is an OK touring bike.
No reason at all. Your story answers in the affirmative—again—the question of whether the CB is an OK touring bike.
You mean there was some doubt to that?!? 9.7 times out of 10 it's attitude I'd say...and how much time you got.
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Terrific reportage and photos. Thanks so much for sharing.
Thanks for taking a look!
dsan1964_imp said:
I love it ...thanks time to plan.. a long ride...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I hope your long ride becomes reality.
You mean there was some doubt to that?!? 9.7 times out of 10 it's attitude I'd say...and how much time you got.
Not in my mind, but there was a quite lengthy discussion about it once, and it raises its head from time to time.
You mean there was some doubt to that?!? 9.7 times out of 10 it's attitude I'd say...and how much time you got.
Not in my mind, but there was a quite lengthy discussion about it once, and it raises its head from time to time. Right! I've seen a bit of your road trips. AND...my only sib I didn't get to visit this trip lives in Adelaide...you guys are prolly neighbors! : )
Day 10: Denver to Green River, UT: 361 miles

Tuesday, the 13th. Weather was kind of getting iffy, colder and colder temps seem to be in store for me in the mountains. I had originally thought about heading for Yellowstone, but a news report of some snow there (later a member here said it wasn't all that), but also me running out of time made me think the best thing was to leave that for another trip and take a more linear route home, yet still not hurried. Leaving Denver meant for me getting back on 70, and soon I was enshrouded in misty fog, and I was happy to already have every stitch of clothing I could manage to get on for the temps were at 37 in the highest elevations.
Frisco, CO, some 11,000ft
235b6d65e7b7641ef195af04704a09f2.jpg

ba83d28198d5d3c641e3bad183682db8.jpg

9134976b366837ce1c3c8dfe5df50b68.jpg

4336a0ad7de52bd7fa9fb1f284c97897.jpg

e5109a7cf307ed15d44da0f70d51a3e2.jpg

The Eisenhower Tunnel is 1.7 miles (2.7k) long and its elevation is 11,158...pretty cool structure although I didn't stop to take pics. It was the beginning of the descent and I was happy to be headin' down the mountain and not too cold nor wet.
Vail, Avon, Edwards, Gypsum...some names I had only heard of before and if you had asked me before the trip, I wouldn't have guessed they were off I-70, but no stops, it just feels too good to ride sometimes and enjoy what you and the bike are doing. Plus it was warming up a little and that made me want to just keep going.
3f12c4b55d22807130b2d5c635e6b056.jpg

3282580efeffbc3e4ecae2e220f2874b.jpg

Really need to come back another day with more time to ride and hike. Glenwood Springs canyon area looked very inviting.
c50118cbb118df1522393636bced7989.jpg

86fdbf0b0740d59fb508fa2cb04c015e.jpg

At Glenwood Canyon, stopped for yet another Subway sandwich, but this time I got behind some Amish gents who were ordering for the entire family, at least 15 sandwiches, and it totalled $178 which the guy paid for with 2 $100 bills. Cool. Time to head for Grand Junction. Another town, that if you think about its name, it ought to cause you to think about gas. I did fill up, but...there wasn't a lot else for sometime after.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Up to this point in the trip...6 riding days to Illinois, 6 days visiting mom there, then Springfield, MO 1 night, Topeka, KS 3 nights and I was to spend 3 nights in Denver as well. As promised, my sis had dinner waiting for me after the long ride, basically all Saturday, the 10th of Sept.
e60a0f62d60ecb0a286223f39920a960.jpg

Didn't spend much time site-seeing in Denver, rather just got a feel for what it's like to live in a metropolitan downtown area. Everything is within walking distance...that's kind of nice. Sis lives 5 minute walk from work, 5 minutes from grocery store, 5 minutes from outstanding restaurants...but a good 30-40 minutes to escape from it all.
f4899bfcc6b223ec705b97bc6b15aaa0.jpg

I live in Gresham, OR, about 25-30 minutes from downtown Portland. But I'm only 10 minutes from work and country roads, so that's not too bad.
Confluence of Platte River and Cherry Creek
fbb027820b0712a0074a5338b41f8bf8.jpg

The Platte was a river that we always crossed when I was a kid traveling north from KS to NB to visit the grandfolk's farm. I enjoyed connecting the rivers on this trip geographically.
Cormanus_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
You look at views like that and wonder how there could ever be a hill anywhere.
Yep! And I love that feeling...of course, in modern times we know the Rockies, will come...the sun will rise...but first peoples? What made them so sure things would be better by marching toward the sunset, sunrise? It's a good feeling out there to think the cb has taken me this far, why shouldn't it continue to do so?
EmptySea_imp said:
Thank you for capturing the beauty of the plains states. "Flat" is sometimes mistaken for "boring", but your story and pictures dismisses that notion.
Thanks, EmptySea...the view from beartooth is easy to see see beauty... the view from west oberlin, ks has a beauty of its own...maybe growing up in ks was training to appreciate the latter
No reason at all. Your story answers in the affirmative—again—the question of whether the CB is an OK touring bike.
No reason at all. Your story answers in the affirmative—again—the question of whether the CB is an OK touring bike.
You mean there was some doubt to that?!? 9.7 times out of 10 it's attitude I'd say...and how much time you got.
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Terrific reportage and photos. Thanks so much for sharing.
Thanks for taking a look!
dsan1964_imp said:
I love it ...thanks time to plan.. a long ride...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I hope your long ride becomes reality.
You mean there was some doubt to that?!? 9.7 times out of 10 it's attitude I'd say...and how much time you got.
Not in my mind, but there was a quite lengthy discussion about it once, and it raises its head from time to time.
You mean there was some doubt to that?!? 9.7 times out of 10 it's attitude I'd say...and how much time you got.
Not in my mind, but there was a quite lengthy discussion about it once, and it raises its head from time to time. Right! I've seen a bit of your road trips. AND...my only sib I didn't get to visit this trip lives in Adelaide...you guys are prolly neighbors! : )
Day 10: Denver to Green River, UT: 361 miles

Tuesday, the 13th. Weather was kind of getting iffy, colder and colder temps seem to be in store for me in the mountains. I had originally thought about heading for Yellowstone, but a news report of some snow there (later a member here said it wasn't all that), but also me running out of time made me think the best thing was to leave that for another trip and take a more linear route home, yet still not hurried. Leaving Denver meant for me getting back on 70, and soon I was enshrouded in misty fog, and I was happy to already have every stitch of clothing I could manage to get on for the temps were at 37 in the highest elevations.
Frisco, CO, some 11,000ft
235b6d65e7b7641ef195af04704a09f2.jpg

ba83d28198d5d3c641e3bad183682db8.jpg

9134976b366837ce1c3c8dfe5df50b68.jpg

4336a0ad7de52bd7fa9fb1f284c97897.jpg

e5109a7cf307ed15d44da0f70d51a3e2.jpg

The Eisenhower Tunnel is 1.7 miles (2.7k) long and its elevation is 11,158...pretty cool structure although I didn't stop to take pics. It was the beginning of the descent and I was happy to be headin' down the mountain and not too cold nor wet.
Vail, Avon, Edwards, Gypsum...some names I had only heard of before and if you had asked me before the trip, I wouldn't have guessed they were off I-70, but no stops, it just feels too good to ride sometimes and enjoy what you and the bike are doing. Plus it was warming up a little and that made me want to just keep going.
3f12c4b55d22807130b2d5c635e6b056.jpg

3282580efeffbc3e4ecae2e220f2874b.jpg

Really need to come back another day with more time to ride and hike. Glenwood Springs canyon area looked very inviting.
c50118cbb118df1522393636bced7989.jpg

86fdbf0b0740d59fb508fa2cb04c015e.jpg

At Glenwood Canyon, stopped for yet another Subway sandwich, but this time I got behind some Amish gents who were ordering for the entire family, at least 15 sandwiches, and it totalled $178 which the guy paid for with 2 $100 bills. Cool. Time to head for Grand Junction. Another town, that if you think about its name, it ought to cause you to think about gas. I did fill up, but...there wasn't a lot else for sometime after.
Give or take 2,000 kms. :)
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Up to this point in the trip...6 riding days to Illinois, 6 days visiting mom there, then Springfield, MO 1 night, Topeka, KS 3 nights and I was to spend 3 nights in Denver as well. As promised, my sis had dinner waiting for me after the long ride, basically all Saturday, the 10th of Sept.
e60a0f62d60ecb0a286223f39920a960.jpg

Didn't spend much time site-seeing in Denver, rather just got a feel for what it's like to live in a metropolitan downtown area. Everything is within walking distance...that's kind of nice. Sis lives 5 minute walk from work, 5 minutes from grocery store, 5 minutes from outstanding restaurants...but a good 30-40 minutes to escape from it all.
f4899bfcc6b223ec705b97bc6b15aaa0.jpg

I live in Gresham, OR, about 25-30 minutes from downtown Portland. But I'm only 10 minutes from work and country roads, so that's not too bad.
Confluence of Platte River and Cherry Creek
fbb027820b0712a0074a5338b41f8bf8.jpg

The Platte was a river that we always crossed when I was a kid traveling north from KS to NB to visit the grandfolk's farm. I enjoyed connecting the rivers on this trip geographically.
Cormanus_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
You look at views like that and wonder how there could ever be a hill anywhere.
Yep! And I love that feeling...of course, in modern times we know the Rockies, will come...the sun will rise...but first peoples? What made them so sure things would be better by marching toward the sunset, sunrise? It's a good feeling out there to think the cb has taken me this far, why shouldn't it continue to do so?
EmptySea_imp said:
Thank you for capturing the beauty of the plains states. "Flat" is sometimes mistaken for "boring", but your story and pictures dismisses that notion.
Thanks, EmptySea...the view from beartooth is easy to see see beauty... the view from west oberlin, ks has a beauty of its own...maybe growing up in ks was training to appreciate the latter
No reason at all. Your story answers in the affirmative—again—the question of whether the CB is an OK touring bike.
No reason at all. Your story answers in the affirmative—again—the question of whether the CB is an OK touring bike.
You mean there was some doubt to that?!? 9.7 times out of 10 it's attitude I'd say...and how much time you got.
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Terrific reportage and photos. Thanks so much for sharing.
Thanks for taking a look!
dsan1964_imp said:
I love it ...thanks time to plan.. a long ride...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I hope your long ride becomes reality.
You mean there was some doubt to that?!? 9.7 times out of 10 it's attitude I'd say...and how much time you got.
Not in my mind, but there was a quite lengthy discussion about it once, and it raises its head from time to time.
You mean there was some doubt to that?!? 9.7 times out of 10 it's attitude I'd say...and how much time you got.
Not in my mind, but there was a quite lengthy discussion about it once, and it raises its head from time to time. Right! I've seen a bit of your road trips. AND...my only sib I didn't get to visit this trip lives in Adelaide...you guys are prolly neighbors! : )
Day 10: Denver to Green River, UT: 361 miles

Tuesday, the 13th. Weather was kind of getting iffy, colder and colder temps seem to be in store for me in the mountains. I had originally thought about heading for Yellowstone, but a news report of some snow there (later a member here said it wasn't all that), but also me running out of time made me think the best thing was to leave that for another trip and take a more linear route home, yet still not hurried. Leaving Denver meant for me getting back on 70, and soon I was enshrouded in misty fog, and I was happy to already have every stitch of clothing I could manage to get on for the temps were at 37 in the highest elevations.
Frisco, CO, some 11,000ft
235b6d65e7b7641ef195af04704a09f2.jpg

ba83d28198d5d3c641e3bad183682db8.jpg

9134976b366837ce1c3c8dfe5df50b68.jpg

4336a0ad7de52bd7fa9fb1f284c97897.jpg

e5109a7cf307ed15d44da0f70d51a3e2.jpg

The Eisenhower Tunnel is 1.7 miles (2.7k) long and its elevation is 11,158...pretty cool structure although I didn't stop to take pics. It was the beginning of the descent and I was happy to be headin' down the mountain and not too cold nor wet.
Vail, Avon, Edwards, Gypsum...some names I had only heard of before and if you had asked me before the trip, I wouldn't have guessed they were off I-70, but no stops, it just feels too good to ride sometimes and enjoy what you and the bike are doing. Plus it was warming up a little and that made me want to just keep going.
3f12c4b55d22807130b2d5c635e6b056.jpg

3282580efeffbc3e4ecae2e220f2874b.jpg

Really need to come back another day with more time to ride and hike. Glenwood Springs canyon area looked very inviting.
c50118cbb118df1522393636bced7989.jpg

86fdbf0b0740d59fb508fa2cb04c015e.jpg

At Glenwood Canyon, stopped for yet another Subway sandwich, but this time I got behind some Amish gents who were ordering for the entire family, at least 15 sandwiches, and it totalled $178 which the guy paid for with 2 $100 bills. Cool. Time to head for Grand Junction. Another town, that if you think about its name, it ought to cause you to think about gas. I did fill up, but...there wasn't a lot else for sometime after.
Give or take 2,000 kms. :)
Give or take 2,000 kms. :)
See? Neighbors! : )

I kept crossing the Colorado River and it finally dawned on me that I was criss-crossing the same river that of the Grand Canyon. Don't know why it took me awhile to realize that because I used to live in AZ and have hiked the GC at least 7 times. In this part of CO, it's just beginning to take shape
19ee5826035b46ff686adae0e41018cf.jpg

236788a12f89871179eae12d35ee79bb.jpg


After Grand Junction, the rain clouds began to appear and we would play tag the rest of the afternoon.
28b61b4987da74a3d21af2cec61ad289.jpg

Ran into a few of the fiercest of brief storms, winds of 10 second 'bout blew me over on the initial hit, then hard rain for a minute or two, then light rain for 5 minutes. Dry within another 15 minutes of desert riding!
c4b659bcf3bb65d7b2e8124cadf64ebe.jpg

5b7f7bc9094db4489045fd004283ada7.jpg

16fea2ba098d66242a3d2a6cae018b78.jpg

I wanted to make it to Price, UT for the day, but at Green River my weather check showed heavy storms hitting Price the rest of the later afternoon...looking like I would arrive there the same time as the rains, I decided Green River was good enough. It was a neat enough town, and besides, by stopping early it game me time to go for a run, ride around, by some breakfast for the next day...enjoy the small town life in the desert!
It reminds me of some movie...310 to Yuma maybe
3b74f7af7f2ea29bb86e77dc2ae162c4.jpg

3f4ff31a847b8faad1f0fcdcb11c61bb.jpg

Had I continued I might have run into that...I was happy where I was at
85f1dfeabef3a43405902c3249785802.jpg

I simply love the desert light at dusk. I got a little wet, and I would the next day, too. But the clouds make all the difference.
709e6156ab04f2a49ce9b900fee165f4.jpg

a35401b6f4f9ef956eda7d33da619845.jpg

1e55a4c0a60fa7b0888d6c8224dcacfa.jpg

e264c397fbd2eb96a85e55275d97748b.jpg

Had started the day in Denver, a little concerned about the cold and rain for the day, but now was warm and dry in Utah! A very good riding day.
 
This is a great adventure. Love the light big skies can produce.
 
Wonderful pictures and ride report pdedse! :thumbsup:

I do miss the wide open spaces of the west and mid-west from time to time since I grew up in ND.

In the Northeast, panoramic views are rare and most of my riding is trees to the right and trees to the left. When I first moved here it felt claustrophobic!
 
Thread starter
curlyjoe_imp said:
Wonderful pictures and ride report pdedse! :thumbsup:

I do miss the wide open spaces of the west and mid-west from time to time since I grew up in ND.

In the Northeast, panoramic views are rare and most of my riding is trees to the right and trees to the left. When I first moved here it felt claustrophobic!
I lived in AZ for 9 years before accepting a job in OR. I've thought a lot about that claustrophobic feeling...I think it's a combination of the trees swallowing up the light, the horizon is not longer flat and straight, often times it's not there because of hills and forests, and here in OR the clouds come in as a massive frontal system and it lowers the ceiling so to speak. When I go ride along the Columbia River or out on a boat on it, I feel free! Yes, the NW is beautiful and all that, mountain curves are fun of course, but it's that openness that makes me happy when I ride the states of this trip.
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Your photos from outside Denver are terrific. God's Country for sure.
Thanks Inhouse Bob, some of the photos pre-Denver are flatter than KS...I'm gonna assume you mean the post-Denver photos in the mountains. Indeed, beautiful, makes you feel like taking a lot more time to "do it right".
Day 11: Green River, UT to Elko, NV: 425 miles
Woke up to skies that still showed evidence of the thunderstorms that lit up the sky throughout the night. In OR west of the Cascades, we don't get much thunder and lightening, and I miss that. Took my time getting ready for there looked to be some storms still lingering in the Price, UT area, an hour north of me.
2a25865c815ecfcab6a1978d9b11664a.jpg

0d0c4f7904307edc1839a731771e31b2.jpg

Finally found the type of motel I should have been looking for more when I began the trip. $50 a night instead of the $75-90 I was paying while traveling east. I had thought about carrying camping gear to keep the costs down, but in the end, I thought about the type of places I like to camp and often times it's in out of the way places on forest service roads...not that a CB1100 can't, but it's not how I wanted to finish a long days ride. I go on to eastern OR on my KLR to do trips like that, but I'm only riding 100 miles a day on unpaved roads, already in the area I want to camp, much easier. So it was the charm of places like this
0b09a070983c3e34e1325ede66749ced.jpg

Hiway 191 north between Green River and Price was a gorgeous stretch. Finally off 70 for good, two lane traffic, slower, more relaxed, a very good way to start the day
7b364962594746cbc4e923226d1f0710.jpg

In Topeka, I found a knee-pad, you can see it in the photo above, it's a 1.5" pad used for kneeling when you do house projects. It worked very well! Raised the seat higher for me which helped my knees and hips feel more loose, and my back end wasn't sore at all by the end of the day. The bungee straps used to hold down the passenger seat bag held it in place if I needed to stand on the pegs briefly. So that made 3 seat pads for the ride back home. Maybe I should buy a new seat, but the pads cost me a total of $25, more in my budget.
03802276a45defdfbddc8e1ab8d25c0a.jpg

ab739f0800f2807ab078d67a30f2b099.jpg

b6bf34d7f3be4cfd2be34469cdf1f63c.jpg
 
Thread starter
It never really warmed up much throughout the day. I started with warm clothes in the morning and didn't feel the need to remove much because it was just cool enough. Hiway 191 turned into 6 west. Gaining elevation after Price
85de5d6b150d9883ad3240cc2b0a1263.jpg

172460426529353c4885ec5d20427d1b.jpg

cefd018494473d943629f51cf51bc227.jpg

A few riders with Montana plates zoomed by me, good to see others out here too. Towards Provo, UT
1287791184724ee0efdc99799df673b5.jpg

Had never seen Salt Lake before...I'm sure it looks prettier other days
463cde386d99b5b87cf4e813b8c5e1c9.jpg

670baf8b432f3e618f091598328e6608.jpg

And then I was back on another super-divided hiway, 90 west.
5fd4b84a3c67df108bb3f7181237635c.jpg

But once you're out there and the Salt Lake City traffic thins, it still has the feel of an isolated area, even tho 90 is a major east-west route.
I was a little unsure of the gas availability between Salt Lake and the NV border at Wendover, so I did pack a few bottles with extra gas. Turns out I didn't need them because the distance was something like 95 miles between stations, but it was nice knowing I had 'em along.
ec8cfd7c9fa1e6005293bf31356792fd.jpg

As with any trip, there are a few spots that come up where one should have taken more time to appreciate what's there. So it was with the Bonneville Flats area. This was actually several miles before, but being the first time I had seen these, I immediately stopped to take photos. Once I had these it seemed redundant to stop again, even tho in the back of my mind I wanted to walk out on them and take some more photos. Had the perfect chance at a rest stop, but my mind was thinking other things and I blew right by what I wanted to do. Then 10 miles later...do I go back? That's hard for me to do some times.
b5c1707b045c403aea969bdeac6de5ae.jpg

a3185cd3650a9ba2b710aaa3e757f713.jpg

7053ec16144f0964e62fb19fd0b761d5.jpg

444a24b37c8ea854bff467c842b80af1.jpg

It was good to see the NV border...me destination was Elko, some 150 miles to go and it was only around 3pm, so plenty of time.
 
Fantastic photos. Again. Like the Ferret, I like mountains, so that escarpment really appeals.

Are you allowed to ride on the salt flat? Although you'd probably not want the stuff too near the bike.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Fantastic photos. Again. Like the Ferret, I like mountains, so that escarpment really appeals.

Are you allowed to ride on the salt flat? Although you'd probably not want the stuff too near the bike.
I wasn't too sure. At the rest stop people were out there walking on them, taking pictures, and I at least had in mind to walk out there, but kind of spaced it off.

From this site:

Bonneville Salt Flats Special Recreation Management Area (SRMA) - Utah | Bureau of Land Management

"Motor vehicle use is limited by seasonal closure during the spring when the salt is moist or has standing water on the surface. Closure dates may vary and will be posted by sign."

From this vid, watch min 2:30 to 3:30, looks fun!

Don't watch this one!
The last 1.5 hours into Elko were a bit rainy off and on, and quite chilly. Felt good to finally pull into town and find a hotel. The next day I would make it back into Oregon...I could feel the trip coming to a close. Moonrise over Elko, NV
437fa6ec637afc3b2d9477485dec70aa.jpg


Day 12: Elko, NV to Burns, OR: 360 miles
Temps were a brisk 37 degrees at 7am, so I thought it would be best to take my time, let the sun rise a bit more and warm up to a balmy 45 by 9, which sounded a bit more reasonable. Back to full clothing mode. But it was going to be a bright, sunny day and I would actually catch up to some hiway that I've ridden before. On 90 still, west of Elko, love the sage aroma
081ad2ac031b934bb49654ef55a49de8.jpg

c4f22f1cc7a0d2c5e7b7e40e9e15da3c.jpg

5c4d30f754f171c8a7b58a78a5fcdc22.jpg

At Winnemucca, turned north on 96 towards McDermmitt, which is right at the NV / OR border. Gaining elevation...saw two very healthy looked foxes along this stretch...larger than what I've seen elsewhere.
6cd429461b5111fea48a5538ba18a597.jpg

34ef919f23b7d1b4600530370958fbad.jpg

At some point, I really want to take 140 towards Denio, but gas stations really are limited...as in, there aren't any within the cb1100 range. Another day on the KLR650. I had made it back to Oregon
fed4a7d7ba30bb4d671320adb2ca8d65.jpg

fbf6af3032a9e85db1364b7154b60926.jpg

I filled some extra gas bottles at McDermitt and this time I'm glad I did because mileage was 148 between the two towns. Supposedly, there's gas at Burns Junction after 40,50 miles, but I'd been thru there a number of years back and it was closed. Not much out here. I love it.
5765387cca478d890d27ad37e1b4bf79.jpg

ed430bfc2ef08c82721efb5cde8f5910.jpg

Maybe 12-15 cars between Burns Junction and Burns itself. Agriculture lets you know you're getting close to Burns.
22eac557b2e86c85450bc577464f23d4.jpg

Found a nice Mexican restaurant for dinner
84067d5953d0c9635ddfc008076cd223.jpg

Hotel...cheapest of the trip, but not exactly the nicest. Didn't care! It was my last night! View from my door
88322b89dabfe31cd62fe796b335d54e.jpg

1b8e9cd7c9eae6ddba3ef0de2ef10798.jpg
 
Thread starter
Day 13, last day: Burns to Gresham, OR: 364 miles

Another chilly morning with blue skies. Right away, I started thinking about deer in the fairly early morning. Saw a few dead ones on the side of the road, then in the distance blue lights on the opposite of the road. As I passed, there was an elderly gentleman standing with a sheriff officer in front of his SUV with an obvious dent in the front bumper / grill about a foot deep...hmmm, wonder what caused that? Then I saw a gorup of 'em about 100 meters off the side of the road, perhaps 12 of them, laying down in a grassy field. Please, not on my last day, not any day!

Fill up if at Riley if you've got less than 104 miles left
fe4487d18ade30e74c7d47ab5a84507d.jpg

6ebb9b231a61f64afbe514d45c7bd267.jpg


These guys weren't small either
3ab447452aa4304b4ec2514800aa4546.jpg


More sage...it and creosote are among my favorite smells
32809ee97b3e73e53d850c04fb5d6bc7.jpg


Three weeks plus trip and over 5000 miles on the road, it's starting to sink in that it's the last day of riding as I see areas familiar to me. On the long mc trips I've taken--six now of 5 days or more, 4 of those longer than 2 weeks--I always feel that I could keep going. What's over the next horizon? Sometimes I just want to keep riding, like that's what I'm supposed to do, it's my job, right? Sometimes I think about a RTW trip...reality of time and money prolly says otherwise, but I have done a couple of trips in to MX and Central America. I think I'll get to South America at some point. I'm interested in those mountains and plains they have down there. The distance from Buenos Aires, Argentina to Tierra del fuego is 1500 miles, some 2350 kilometers. And they say it's flat, boring and windy...just like western KS! I tell myself it could happen.
Arriving in Bend was somewhat of a shock to the system. Hadn't really been in traffic since Denver, and in Bend it doesn't seem to flow well. But after my last Subway stop (12th of the trip, I should do a commercial for them), wiggled my way thru town, found 20 again and was on my way towards mountains that I was going to ride thru, not along side of.
c859dc07cc6df65ef66aa430c7b158a7.jpg

7c89a59cb46fbe234f9bd161d9ff268d.jpg

Got behind several trailer homes in a long no-passing zone, but once I was able to get around them, had 20 seemingly to myself. Something looked a bit different
c512eaa291de1ffb6823f9e502c2bf6c.jpg

Where were my sweeping views that I had grown used to? No more 50 mile visibility. Just that curve in front of you a few hundred yards down the road. Gas station attendant came out to assist me with my credit card at the pump--forgot that in OR you don't pump your own gas, unless you're on a mc then they let you. So annoying. They still insert the card for you and select the grade. Petty annoyances that shouldn't bring down the euphoria of getting closer to home...except I just wanted to keep riding! My son studies at OR St. U and he had just started his junior year. I didn't get the chance to see him off due to this trip, so we had a nice dinner together. Then, back on the road, on that "beautiful I-5" stretch to Portland...veer back east one more time this trip to Gresham, and arrived with a huge, full moon that symbolically was illuminating the way home. Maybe that's a bit over the top, but it worked for me.
 
Thread starter
Well, it's been a week since I've returned, and I still haven't even started the CB since I got home. It sits still road dirty from the 5500 miles. I did ride my KLR650 to work every day this week and my commute totaled 50 miles for the 5 days. First day on the KLR, it felt very much like it must feel to saddle up a squirrel for a ride. I think I'll clean up the CB today, for I have a mash of OR-WA-ID-MT-WY-SD-MN-IO-IL-MO-KS-CO-UT-NV bugs on it. Except for my headlight, my mom couldn't stand the sight of it and had to wipe it down for me.

My thoughts on the gear, the bike and the ride...

Gear and mods:
I put on SW Mo-tech engine guards, bought for $80 from a member here, and then right before the trip, slapped on a pair of $20 hi-way pegs to the guards. Very good move. I rode more than 95% of the time in normal position, but it felt great to stretch the legs at times, leave them forward resting on the pegs for 15-20 minutes at at time. Often times, I found myself putting just one leg forward. In short, it gave me more leg movement and that was welcome because I was frequently on the road by 730 or 8am, and would finish between 5-7pm.

My luggage was a pair of saddlebags, nothing special, an $80 set that I already had. I did put protective tape on the rear chrome blinkers and on the shocks where the bags would rub otherwise. That did the job nicely and kept any scratches away. I also used a leather HD bag that sat on the passenger seat. I like it because it gives some support to me back. Bungee chords and straps hold the saddle bags and the HD bag in place. So no movement of turn signals, very simple setup. And instead of tank bag, I use a lightweight backpack, just big enough to carry water, some food, map, extra gloves, small things very accessible.

That's really about it as far as the gear goes. Packed tools, tire plug kit, compressor, bike locks, extra straps, running shoes ect. in the passenger bag, and clothes in the saddle bags. I forgot to bring my rain cover for the bike.

The CB1100 for long distance...I bought mine new in Jan and had put 1600 miles on it prior to the trip. The dealership did the 600 mile because they gave me a good price on that at purchase time. So there wasn't much bike prep to do. I checked the chain play before leaving and it was on the tighter side, right at 25mm. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the spec is 25-35mm. After 2500 miles I checked it again in Illinois, and there wasn't any change. I did the oil change right at 4000 miles and I oiled chain at the end of each day's ride 'cause my daily average was 425 miles over the 13 riding days. Oil change was easy-peasy, got 4 liters back in as I rocked the bike back and forth over 30 minutes to let as much oil as possible drain out. All good for return trip. I checked the chain tension again in Denver on the way home, still right at 25, maybe 27mm. Haven't checked it since I got home. So 7200 miles on the bike now, and the chain was adjusted at the 600 mile point, and nothing after that. Rear tire is definetly squared off a bit, but both front and rear seem to have plenty left, I'd say at least 2k miles if not more. On the return trip, I seemed to notice come clicking and other noises that may not have been there on the first half of the trip. Would notice noises at the end of day, after 400 plus miles. Hard to make a determination on that. I'm 6'4" with 34" inseams. The bike is a bit short for me, but so are most other bikes. I used two seat pads totaling 1.5" on the first half of the trip, and other 1" pad on the way back. That third one helped a lot, taking end of day soreness away. What else can be said about the bike? It's awesome! Af first, after purchasing, I was wanting a little louder exhaust. But on this trip, with earplugs in, full face helmet, colder days had on scarf type of thing to keep the chill out...all that made for a very quiet ride. I could hear some wind, but barely, barely hear the purr of the engine. That was kind of cool, especially out in the long stretches of nowhere. I felt like a bird flying through the desert. I have no windshield on the bike. I've ridden just a few bikes with over the years with, and they all simple make the wind flow were, forcing it right smack into the to of my forehead. Now on windy days (mostly the whole way back) I paid the price, but as long as I moved around on the bike, stretched my neck a bit at the gas stops, walk around some at all the stops, I was good. I feel like my neck muscles are stronger than they've ever been before! Gas mileage...who cares, really. I suppose all loaded up 45 was common. Windy days, low of 37. Coming down the west side of the Cascades (drop from 8000 to 1000ft) got me 57. Mainly I checked for when I would have to ride a long stretch with few gas stations. A couple times I filled some water bottles with an extra 30-40oz of gas just to be sure, after 40-50 miles I would empty them in the tank just for peace of mind. So the '14 standard's 3.8 gallon tank was fine by me. I know of a couple at ADVrider that rode these bikes from back east to to Panama and did just fine on them. I didn't take my on any real stretch of unpaved road, just wasn't the trip for that type of thing. But very nice ride at any speed really. Did 70-80 most of the time on the bigger hiways...bikes hums, same at 65. I had little interest in sustaining any speed over 80mph.

The ride: I had about 3 weeks to do this trip. I wanted family time, meaning this wasn't a trip to slow down every single day and take the lesser road traveled. I tried to mix up the interstate with the secondary hiways. I have a KLR650. It's taken me to Guatemala and back, Mexico, Baja. It's on '07 with 40k miles. I know I could have ridden it for this trip...but I really wanted a more road worthy bike. Plus, I would have been tempted to explore every gravel / unpaved road out there in the west. So I bought this bike knowing full well it would be the one I would use for this trip. In fact, this trip was one of the main reasons I bought the CB1100. I would like to do a similar ride every other year on the CB, do a different route to visit my family. I think I will take tent next time. This time I didn't, and I didn't really regret that. The route was a good one. Tried to slow down at times to see some new things, but I left Yellowstone out there. That's ok, because it's close enough to do on another trip. Had to back out of a plan with a good friend in Kansas City who wanted to take me down to Arkansas to the Ozarks, but time and family committments wouldn't allow for it.

A huge thanks to all of you for checking this report out, for your kind comments. If you're passing through Gresham, OR, let me know if you need to save on some hotel money.

So there it is...just got off the phone with my mom. She wonders when I'm coming to visit again. I told her soon if she promised to clean my headlight...maybe help me with the oil change next time. She's 91...she's got quite a legacy in her kids, I visited 6 of the 7 sibs I have. We all get along, would do anything for each other. That's gotta be one of the things she's happy about. A very good woman.
 
pdedse, thanks again for takin us along on this ride. Fantastic to have the contrast between the mountains and the wide-open spaces. While my preference is mountains and roads that twist and turn a bit, I've never regretted trips to the flatlands as they have their own beauty which is well worth a look—even if only to remind oneself that the world really is round!

This CB1100 is a great bike isn't it? I was thinking of a way to describe it and the words 'no-fuss' came to mind. You just get on it and ride all day and it keeps on going quietly and efficiently hauling you and your gear—even a big load—without a murmur of complaint. And, as you say, when you get home, you have the feeling that you'd just rather keep on riding. That couple you mentioned from ADV rider were from Belgium, is that right? They joined up here briefly. As I recall they were going on into South America but had to abandon the trip because her back needed serious treatment. They rode their CBs through pretty much everything and they took it all.

Thanks again. Go riding again as soon as you can so we can tag along again!
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
pdedse, thanks again for takin us along on this ride. Fantastic to have the contrast between the mountains and the wide-open spaces. While my preference is mountains and roads that twist and turn a bit, I've never regretted trips to the flatlands as they have their own beauty which is well worth a look—even if only to remind oneself that the world really is round!

This CB1100 is a great bike isn't it? I was thinking of a way to describe it and the words 'no-fuss' came to mind. You just get on it and ride all day and it keeps on going quietly and efficiently hauling you and your gear—even a big load—without a murmur of complaint. And, as you say, when you get home, you have the feeling that you'd just rather keep on riding. That couple you mentioned from ADV rider were from Belgium, is that right? They joined up here briefly. As I recall they were going on into South America but had to abandon the trip because her back needed serious treatment. They rode their CBs through pretty much everything and they took it all.

Thanks again. Go riding again as soon as you can so we can tag along again!
Thanks for the comments throughout, Cormanus. Yes, that was the couple. I was actually in Costa Rica at the time of their ride and we had made tentative plans for them to meet up with me as I'm there with study abroad groups every other year. Alas, I had to leave CR before they got there. Personally, I would have chosen a different bike to go thru Central America primarily because a much smaller displacement bike can do all you need to do, and a dual purpose bike can take you to places that I wouldn't be comfortable on the CB1100. But I did like their attitude with the CBs. My ride in Costa Rica? A Honda CGL125!
 
Haven't been posting to this for the last week because I was on our annual Men's Fall Trip which I will be doing a seat time report for. At night i would check in with my I pad and do a little modding and answer a few "easy" threads but wanted to wait until I got home to digest the rest of your report pdedse and I'm glad I did was well worth the wait and just a fantastic seat time report. Glad everything went well and you arrived home safely.

Had to laugh about you saddling up a squirrel comment. My CB went on the Mens Fall Trip this year but not with me in the saddle. A nephew from Nevada flew in to join us this year and I loaned him the CB as it was closest to what he rides back in Nevada, an NC700. I rode the ST. This morning I got up to go for my morning ride as usual and couln't wait to get back on my CB. After 7 days and 1400 miles on the ST, it felt so light and responsive, maybe too much so. I was riding down the road and said to myself "this thing is so tiny". I'm only 5'6".... I can't imagine being 6'4" and riding one. It has to feel like a mini bike.

Anyhow, thanks again for the great report. I enjoyed it immensly. The pics and narration were all outstanding.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Haven't been posting to this for the last week because I was on our annual Men's Fall Trip which I will be doing a seat time report for. At night i would check in with my I pad and do a little modding and answer a few "easy" threads but wanted to wait until I got home to digest the rest of your report pdedse and I'm glad I did was well worth the wait and just a fantastic seat time report. Glad everything went well and you arrived home safely.

Had to laugh about you saddling up a squirrel comment. My CB went on the Mens Fall Trip this year but not with me in the saddle. A nephew from Nevada flew in to join us this year and I loaned him the CB as it was closest to what he rides back in Nevada, an NC700. I rode the ST. This morning I got up to go for my morning ride as usual and couln't wait to get back on my CB. After 7 days and 1400 miles on the ST, it felt so light and responsive, maybe too much so. I was riding down the road and said to myself "this thing is so tiny". I'm only 5'6".... I can't imagine being 6'4" and riding one. It has to feel like a mini bike.

Anyhow, thanks again for the great report. I enjoyed it immensly. The pics and narration were all outstanding.
Thanks, Ferret, glad to know that you enjoy the road reports, I cetainly do. Clarification, you thought the cb1100 was tiny or the other bike you were riding?
 
Back
Top