Oregon, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, etc

1st class ride report Pdedse!!!! Made all the better by the fact you have some great pics of roads I ride (Beartooth et al) a couple times a year. The BigHorns are a hidden gem. The northern section through them is the more scenic of the two (southern being the other one). Heading down south of them brings you to Kirby (Wyomings first legal modern distillery).

Home Page - Wyoming Whiskey

and Thermopolis, proclaimed as the worlds largest hot springs.

Little known factoid...you prob passed right by that section of Badlands were Starship Troopers filmed several of the battle scenes on Klendathu....
 
Thread starter
Frulk_imp said:
1st class ride report Pdedse!!!! Made all the better by the fact you have some great pics of roads I ride (Beartooth et al) a couple times a year. The BigHorns are a hidden gem. The northern section through them is the more scenic of the two (southern being the other one). Heading down south of them brings you to Kirby (Wyomings first legal modern distillery).

Home Page - Wyoming Whiskey

and Thermopolis, proclaimed as the worlds largest hot springs.

Little known factoid...you prob passed right by that section of Badlands were Starship Troopers filmed several of the battle scenes on Klendathu....
Thanks for the comments, Frulk...blessed are ye who live to ride Beartooth frequently!, no offense to the Beatitudes. I really wished I would have known about the beauty of the Bighorns. My friend told me the northern route was the way to go, but I was trying to see them some (with fading light) and "break on to the other side" to start the next day on 90. On a long trip with only 3 weeks for there and back, some decisions are just painful! But I'm thinking of doing this trip every other year now. Northern Wyoming will get more attention from me. Did not know about the Starship Troopers! but will have to look for that scene again.
EmptySea_imp said:
wonderful report. thanks again for sharing it.
Thanks EmptySea...the ride back to Oregon wasn't bad either...coming soon.
Frulk_imp said:
1st class ride report Pdedse!!!! Made all the better by the fact you have some great pics of roads I ride (Beartooth et al) a couple times a year. The BigHorns are a hidden gem. The northern section through them is the more scenic of the two (southern being the other one). Heading down south of them brings you to Kirby (Wyomings first legal modern distillery).

Home Page - Wyoming Whiskey

and Thermopolis, proclaimed as the worlds largest hot springs.

Little known factoid...you prob passed right by that section of Badlands were Starship Troopers filmed several of the battle scenes on Klendathu....
That site made me thirsty for some Wyoming Water!
 
Thread starter
curlyjoe_imp said:
Awesome ride report and pictures, pdedse! :thumbsup:
Glad you like it, Culyjoe!
Cormanus_imp said:
pdedse, this continues to be a great report. Thank you.

Indeed it continues to interest me so much that I've done the best I can to make a rough plot of your route. It was a really serious ride covering a goodly chunk of the northern United States:



The map I drew for this picture is here. There will be much of the detail that is wrong, but it gave me a good idea of the magnitude of the endeavour.

Wow! Somebody has been paying attention to the route! That's an awesome map, and you're pretty darn close with the details.

1. At The Dalles, OR, crossed the Columbia River on 197 to 14, on the Washington side, and then continued on 14 to 82 north thru Kennewick

2. In Wyoming, after Cody, stayed on 14 to Greybull, then 20 south to Worland (missed that turn you show, but I wanted to take it), then 16 to Ten Sleep

3. Right in Rapid City, SD, got on 90 west to Wall where I veered south on 240 and began the Badlands there; from that point the map looks good to Champaign, Ill

4. Return trip, after Champaign...in Springfield, Ill I stayed on 72 west till 54 west and took 54 thru Pittsfield and Atlas towards the Miss. River, avoiding St. Louis completely. Stayed on 54 west as it meanders south by southwest thru Jeff City and Lake Ozark. At Camdenton took 5 south to 44 and then to Springfield, MO

5. In Kansas, south of Topeka, when I was on 169 north, veered west at Colony on to 58 west to 75 north to 31west to Osage City, then 56 north thru Auburn and Topeka.

6. After Topeka, when I veered off 70 and went north to Wamego, I stayed on 24 into Manhattan and then continued on 24 west to to 281 to Smith Center on 36. Then stayed on 36 (avoiding 70) all the way into into Oberlin where you show me meeting up with 36--I was already on it.

From there, you're spot on! Incredible job in that I wasn't always specific. Thanks so much for doing that because I'm sure in another week I would begin to forget some details.
My main purpose for this trip was to visit my mom and sibs and to spend time with them and not have to worry about whether my kids were bored. It was a wonderful week with my 91 year ol' momma. She was a professional seamstress for years and still has her shop. On her right you can see my mc pants which she is about to mend.

If she were into mc's her shop would be the envy of many of us.

Three generations: my 25 year old neice, mom and me


There's the 8 of us sibs, back in 1967 or 68? Wanna guess which one I am?

And how do they all look as of a year or two ago? (I'm not in this one)


Selfie of Mom, sis Jo, and me

I don't understand how an apple orchard in Illinois gets away with having a Dorothy / Oz theme when that's exclusive to Kansas, but we couldn't pass up the photo.
 
Thread starter
My mom on HER ride back in the day, maybe 1942?
c4c96bd1d5b883bb1516e55eb5159102.jpg

Here she's helping me clean up my ride
7f4bf93700a202e83c6f2a01b2f83d26.jpg

My 91 year ol' mom! Doing maintenance on my ride! She still drives, mind is sharp like a tac, and has a window into the past if you ask the right questions. Still, sometimes she prefers to just sit awhile
747e5e56e46d70d431a685ca0a8575d6.jpg

When it came time to change the oil, check chain tension before beginning the return trip, she was very interested in the process, checking to make sure I was doing it right.
75447f0e293289186d0ec1db15930455.jpg

The week went by quickly and it was time to say adios, mamá
c0cfec419244d771ce37abc261aac178.jpg
 
You are so lucky to still have your mom and that she is sharp and livly. Lost my mom in 1986. Miss her every day. She has missed so much in my life. She is the one who convinced me to get back on a motorcycle after a bad wreck in 1968. Said I would regret it if I didn't ride again. She was so wise.
 
pdedse, try the link again. I've trie to incorporate the changes; however, some of it may be foiled by Google Maps which sometimes has a mind of its own. Short of redrawing it all, I think I've done what I can. I had real trouble between Sweet Home and Corvalis where Google would not let me send you where I thought you went.

It was a mighty ride.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
You are so lucky to still have your mom and that she is sharp and livly. Lost my mom in 1986. Miss her every day. She has missed so much in my life. She is the one who convinced me to get back on a motorcycle after a bad wreck in 1968. Said I would regret it if I didn't ride again. She was so wise.
I can't imagine not having my mom around since 1986, sorry for that Ferret, but good mom yours! I know when my mom says something like "I wish I had..." I listen closely.
redbirds_imp said:
Wonderful story and write up and a lovely family also. You are a blessed man.
Thanks Redbirds, I am blessed. I have seven older sibs and all of us get along, all of us would help the other at the drop of a hat. We all have our professions, but mom would be most proud of the former.
Cormanus_imp said:
pdedse, try the link again. I've trie to incorporate the changes; however, some of it may be foiled by Google Maps which sometimes has a mind of its own. Short of redrawing it all, I think I've done what I can. I had real trouble between Sweet Home and Corvalis where Google would not let me send you where I thought you went.

It was a mighty ride.
No worries, Cormanus, it was a treat for me to see my trip outlined like you did. It was very close the way you had it. Thanks again!
After a week with my mom, two sisters and brother, several home remod jobs, day outings here and there, it was time to head out. My destination leaving Champaign was Springfield, MO. I intended heading south on 57 and cross the Mississippi near Cape Girardeau and then explore some of the forested areas east of Springfield, but when I started doing the math, that was going to be one long day and my brother had limited time to see me that evening. So I took the most direct route I could while still avoiding St. Louis. Just didn't feel like riding thru big cities on the trip. So I headed west by southwest all day against a strong headwind, the first I encountered on the trip. I started out on 72 west and after Jacksonville, headed south and west on 54 towards the big river
46716890c7d6ea99c7de7dc4b7e98cfa.jpg

ad705e75b7bb2918efb7edb3e64d8f10.jpg
78cafccbdf1bbf30c7c2fe30f049d9b3.jpg

This was a tough riding day. Quite hot and humid, I was taking one route when I really wanted to go another, and the headwind would not relent. I'm fairly tall at 6'4" and windshields always seem to just push the wind right smack into my forehead and my head gets buffeted, not fun. So when the wind blows, it takes me a while to grow used to it. By afternoon I was fine, and I had an awesome dinner with brother, but by next morning I had to pull out because he had some pressing work to do.

I didn't take many pics this day, but there was one funny thing that happened. I'm quite careful to follow a routine at the gas stations because I've learned from other trips that it's easy to forget something. Well, I pay for gas w/ card, check phone for maps and upcoming route. Then I get receipt from the pump and I'm on my way. The last thing I do is check my chest pocket of mc jacket for phone and billfold. This time, I didn't. I rode 2 miles down the road at 35-40mph and was just accelerating up the on-ramp to hiway, when I checked for my phone and wallet...and-it-was-not-there!!!!. My very first reaction was "my daughter is going to kill me because I'm always getting on her about not losing her phone"...my second was, no $ and no phone...not good...by the third second I looked back at my saddlebags and there they both were, just resting on top of the saddle bag, hadn't moved at all after 2 miles of riding. Ok...good...no harm done. Phew!

Day 7: Champaign, Ill to Springfield, MO: 442 miles
 
Thread starter
Day 8: Springfield, MO to Topeka, KS: 299 miles

I began this leg of the trip more happy than the previous day because I knew the distance was shorter, the day slightly cooler, still winds blowing from the west, but I would be heading north a good deal as well as west. 300 miles meant more time to stop for photos. Little by little the topography was changing from Ozark to Kansas, if you know the area, you know what I mean, but in short...few trees and less hills, but for me no less interesting nor beautiful--and I mean that about Kansas.
10fb6c666b0f72a7379e784b18194156.jpg

df7e678a5c1c857f55bb5a45151e3df4.jpg
7c48486d52ef310fe91f26c59ab4b81f.jpg

I took 44 west out of Springfield after breakfast with brother, and then 96 to get away from the truck traffic. Saw some mid morning deer who obviously weren't respecting their limits to early morning and late evening hours. At Avila, it was 37 north to 160 and then west towards the KS border. I could smell it before I saw it--and I mean that as well, in a good way.
15faa8e7302b960d7443d0f63145eae9.jpg

7d32ca6a2abe9cf4360fb4b460996093.jpg

I was "back home", but still several hours from Topeka where I was born and where I still had two brothers to visit.
 
Thread starter
Storms were to my south and west, while I was heading northwest, so dodged showers that seemed to be dumping somewhere, maybe Wichita. All the sites and smells seemed so familiar to me, yet I had actually never been in this area of Kansas before. Fort Scott cathedral...
1ce57322c493572f32a56a4c84809ad3.jpg

6f7c0ea15e8f07c79a3a2197e922cdbf.jpg

Wildlife...
1f492b34e8a8bc45639b427b59b95943.jpg

56b8fd5b877092077eea72dad8f22939.jpg

I stopped at my bother's house in Auburn, but nobody home so I went to my other brother's place in Topeka...and back with family for a few days.
My hometown of Topeka, Kansas. My brother and I went on a hike near the Kansas River, by the Govenor's Mansion. I had never been out here before, except maybe when I was 12 and did a 5 day rafting trip down the Kansas River. Long time ago. What year did the Beach Boy's "Good Vibrations" song come out? That song was played incessantly that summer.
31e45c51968ec53312aa5f65fb7bc49f.jpg

a02941194988d81cfcf4b99c1637a80b.jpg

660e874481f427675173840e9902acb9.jpg

My eldrest bother is an accountant but has mad work working skills and a 40'x25 shop where he practices his craft. Makes music boxes, jewelry chests, chairs, tables, bookshelves, guitars, cabinets, benches...it it's made of wood, he can probably make it and most likely has the machine and tool for the job. He just finished building the shop about 6 months ago...has bathroom, heated flooring, nice ventilation system...just no one to clean it. Wish I had the space for my motorcycles!
33334c5b6efba7519c9f1929b4e85875.jpg

He offered to show me how to make elegant pens
de8382a20ea5d056083ff98ed7a8dee7.jpg

Ready? Here's the basics...pick your block of wood
c08c02c6c2366a82ef42ae5c26deb40e.jpg

Cut in half
2539ba8c14ff94b5bfb58d2c0733d435.jpg

Drill out holes
6198bc1ac9afe865d0f641870dcd730d.jpg

Should look like this
475d32cb4587ccb5c15176b9c0fabd4a.jpg

Insert tubing into cut out holes
9bc0d286ffac0948d637628e5a9d14de.jpg

Next step is to put the two pieces on a lathe and watch your expert brother do the next steps...but he let me have a go of it and I got a lot of it done, but he did the finishing touches so that there was some curvature to the wood.
6344969cebf0ae726a27cbbee4257461.jpg

a07805c4efb9c085152e1f7965b554ed.jpg

Trying not to butcher it!
af26e911971a3a37857458d7f3150367.jpg

Compare to an untouched block, now it's ready for sanding (2000 grit, 4000, 6000, 8000, then 12000! it was more like sand cloth, not paper)
68b2c16976f33b7d940faaaaa19033e5.jpg

I found out that lathing is fun! Bits of non-pen flying everywhere! My son belongs to SAE fraternity so we engraved that on one of the pieces. Then sanding, sanding and more sanding followed by polishing, polishing and more polishing!
dcf27b389a4a2d1858aecc77e621760a.jpg

0db698ec9cf65a20a49c0c5658f53d3d.jpg

Finally, the pieces are ready for the hardware, clip, spring, actual pen cartridge.
3f2a6efb9bfb03a2409ceee1cef53ff0.jpg

The end pieces must be pressed on with a vice
4460edb8069354858f9102e238135e35.jpg

Insert cartridge and you have a pen that costs $29 in parts and some sell online for $120!
8d3e5cde813e42623ecac49b1e366ab4.jpg
 
Thread starter
Before I left Topeka for Denver, I took some time to visit the downtown area. Grace Cathedral. Burned down a number of years ago, but has since been rebuilt
810b37416a36dd9925e19897bcc6c826.jpg

Topeka High School, still one of the most impressive HS in the States...but I'm biased as I graduated from there in '82.
f2073fd33ec98ceef4f10467f7a9df33.jpg

The Topeka Capitol building. It just underwent major renovations to the tune of $360 million dollars. It did look awesome, inside and out. In '66 a tornado hit the dome and when I lived in T-town, the copper dome was green and you could see where they patched the damage from the tornado.
3317930166ece9948258b76ac1b2c89c.jpg

7903ee35266f112218ae88eb7292fb54.jpg

Day 9: Topeka, KS to Denver, CO 580 miles, my longest riding day.

I had every intention of making it to Oberlin, KS where I would break up the Topeka-Denver trip into two days. Said my goodbye to my brother...
ca1c23bd7d73d0f2dd7e16ee07163213.jpeg

And sped away...my brother snapped these as I drove away, not often you get to see how you look on your bike...I look like a dork!
dd0ac1443eea8e0f88484d73a0f64a1d.jpeg

It was cool this morning, and for the first time since I left Wyoming, I had to stop and put on clothes under the riding gear. The Kansas River before Wamego, on my way to Manhattan.
e2e74cc65ffdfde0ae1ebc16737725ae.jpg

I really wanted to try some tacos here but it was too early in the morning
a2e90e15a145fb742900cfdce310b848.jpg

This was the only museum that interested me during the trip
85ddfc6894c249604c74ee22a8e5d630.jpg

I attended 5 undergraduate universities (St. John's in Kansas; one in Sevilla, Spain; Washburn; Kansas U; and Kansas St U.). Received my degree from KSU even tho I only went there 1.5 years. Lots of good memories.
7c7f7f8e6a6bcb2450a4cfa65206573b.jpg

9d4b95859f833fce868693e5cc4575a9.jpg

KSU Wildcats!
2406435efa46c19c6db5b4d145974895.jpg

Kansas...the sunflower state
4a37c2b2a0baf89fb55a52efbc3fdef4.jpg

I've been on hiway 70 far too many times to want to take that route again, so outside of Manhattan, I headed north / northwest on 24 to Smith's Center where I met up with 36
a5319cbef8dbe13b495e56e167a4a734.jpg

535df4c20bba509ec815d1dd07d539f8.jpg

I think 36 was my favorite stretch of road during the trip, even tho some might take issue with it's,....uh...flatness.
981380abc6c94de529f9e8242d43869e.jpg

c0f9f4b1545d5217d49f91ca6e13d2a0.jpg

No mountains and few trees, not many curves...just long stretches of straightness, some gently rolling hills...but mainly......f-l-aaaaa-t. I love it. Can see forever!
Got to Oberline around 2pm, much sooner than I thought and too early in the day to stop. Consulted with me sis in Denver and we thought about 5 more hours to Denver, so why not push through and she'd have dinner waiting. Sounded good to me! What I didn't think about was limited gas availability on 36. Filled in St. Francis, KS, but then there's no much till 36 meets with 70 about 35 miles before Denver, about 150 miles. How many of you get 150 miles on a tank with a 15-20mph headwind blowin' against you? I was getting about 38mpg against the wind. I wasn't too worried, because I thought I could always ask someone...but when you're out there, there's not a whole of folks to ask gas from. Was really relieved when this pump was open (store was already closed, but it's one of those un-manned pumps) and even more so when it accepted my card.
4374acbf7f2ef82ecdbfbec6cfec5c8a.jpg

289ac0bee94f91658208a2b7e413c8b8.jpg

Looks like the scene from "Castaway" at then end when Chuck (Tom Hanks) has to decide which direction he has to take.
66eb04bae20144f873319d327c68c3e9.jpg
 
You look at views like that and wonder how there could ever be a hill anywhere.
 
Thank you for capturing the beauty of the plains states. "Flat" is sometimes mistaken for "boring", but your story and pictures dismisses that notion.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
You look at views like that and wonder how there could ever be a hill anywhere.
Yep! And I love that feeling...of course, in modern times we know the Rockies, will come...the sun will rise...but first peoples? What made them so sure things would be better by marching toward the sunset, sunrise? It's a good feeling out there to think the cb has taken me this far, why shouldn't it continue to do so?
EmptySea_imp said:
Thank you for capturing the beauty of the plains states. "Flat" is sometimes mistaken for "boring", but your story and pictures dismisses that notion.
Thanks, EmptySea...the view from beartooth is easy to see see beauty... the view from west oberlin, ks has a beauty of its own...maybe growing up in ks was training to appreciate the latter
 
pdedse_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
You look at views like that and wonder how there could ever be a hill anywhere.
Yep! And I love that feeling...of course, in modern times we know the Rockies, will come...the sun will rise...but first peoples? What made them so sure things would be better by marching toward the sunset, sunrise? It's a good feeling out there to think the cb has taken me this far, why shouldn't it continue to do so?
EmptySea_imp said:
Thank you for capturing the beauty of the plains states. "Flat" is sometimes mistaken for "boring", but your story and pictures dismisses that notion.
Thanks, EmptySea...the view from beartooth is easy to see see beauty... the view from west oberlin, ks has a beauty of its own...maybe growing up in ks was training to appreciate the latter
No reason at all. Your story answers in the affirmative—again—the question of whether the CB is an OK touring bike.
 
Back
Top