"Older" guys ride a CB1100

Gumby 1100_imp

Been there
Thread starter
To complement the thread: "Good guys ride CB1100", I just wanted to confirm something that may be true.

I should be picking up my new 2014 CB1100A (Canadian version which has the ABS and the same Engine Finish as the US Deluxe) in a week or so, and I am very much looking forward to it after owning mostly heavy cruisers along with an Italian CBF1000 in the mix.

I'm 53ish now, but I always loved the looks of the classic Japanese bikes from the '70s. Back then, however, my parents preferred to assist in the purchase of my first car rather than my first bike. That was probably for the best, as I might not have survived the experience of buying my neighbour's used Yamaha RD350! If the bike didn't kill me, my parents may have ;)

Long story, short, I was well out of my teens when I finally purchased my first bike (V-Star Classic 1100) and mature enough not to get myself killed.

How many other "mature" CB1100 owners out there purchased this bike because it harkens back to their youth? State your age if you dare ;)
 
Michael age 53. I got the cb1100 because of the 70,s look and the pure raw power of a modern bike. I had back in the 70,s a 350four. 750four. And have a 750four now. Got a 14 cb1100 deluxe. Getting another 14 deluxe next week I hope. My son has been riding mine and I have been riding the old cb750. So maybe next week we can both ride the best honda ever built together :)
 
Just turned 60,but this bike brings back fond memories of my youth, that's for sure. I was as excited as a little boy to pick up this machine.
 
Thread starter
Ridem32_imp said:
Newhemi. I have never seen so many guys age 50+ be so excited over a bike as this cb1100 has done.
Yes, I finally found one in Milton, Ontario in a showroom. It had only been unpacked the day before and there were already appointments for others to see it, so I pulled the trigger, then and there before it was too late.

The only other retro style bikes I considered were the Moto Guzzi V7 and the Triumphs. The Triumphs were physically too small and the Guzzi couldn't compete with the Honda quality and power (and the Guzzi V7 lacks ABS).
 
Thread starter
Ridem32_imp said:
Congrats Gumby1100. You will love that bike. Is yours blue?
Thanks! and yes, it has a blue tank. I would have preferred a red tank with matching side covers, or even the previous year's white tank with silver side covers, but Canada only gets Blue Tanks with Black Plastic Side Covers for 2014.

At least it has the polished aluminum engine casings and valve covers...I'm not crazy about the black painted casings some countries get. Not to offend, but painted cases look cheap on a bike this expensive.
 
Send some pics and go register you vin. # in that thread Then you will be a official member lol. And stay away from the farkles lol
 
Ordered mine out of Toronto, placed a deposit and they guaranteed I would get first one in; glad I did that as these bikes seem to be hard to locate at least in Canada. As for color blue I love it, black cases grow on you, to me gives off the right contrast with the chrome fenders, etc, not too much shine but just enough. Been trying to place a picture on this site but no matter what I try it says pictures are too large, what's up with that.
 
We already had a thread about "age", but I'll jump in anyway.
I got my CB about the same way as Gumby got his - I happened to be there when it was being unloaded off the truck. I had to pull the trigger then and there as they were only getting two and one had been spoken for as I learned later.
Only Pearl Spencer blue is coming to Canada so Gumby's will be blue too just like I posted in another thread. It's not the deluxe model that's available in the US, but it certainly has a lot of "deluxe" features that I like - and I'm sure he will too.
I jumped from British motorcycles in the 1950's to a new Honda in 1992 - the year I retired and rode off into the sunset. I missed everything between those dates because it was nose to the grindstone for 34 years.
But I like vintage bikes and there are a number of the CB750's in our bike club. When the 1100 became available here last year I knew I had to have one, but missed getting one then so had to wait another year.
Oh yes, BTW, I'm 76 years-old and loving the new CB :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
This bike is the CB750 that I was too poor to have at a time when it was all I could do to keep my CB350 running.
I showed a middle-aged (but only interested in motorcycles for a few years now) co-worker a side by side photo of the '13 that I traded in for the '14 deluxe. He was puzzled and said that he doesn't see what this is all about and what's so different about them.
I replied that 'well, I think you'd have to have been into motorcycles circa 1974 to really 'get it'. The '14 is a rose-tinted look at the past' that we can have today'.
 
Thread starter
Rocky_imp said:
We already had a thread about "age", but I'll jump in anyway.
I got my CB about the same way as Gumby got his - I happened to be there when it was being unloaded off the truck. I had to pull the trigger then and there as they were only getting two and one had been spoken for as I learned later.
Only Pearl Spencer blue is coming to Canada so Gumby's will be blue too just like I posted in another thread. It's not the deluxe model that's available in the US, but it certainly has a lot of "deluxe" features that I like - and I'm sure he will too.
I jumped from British motorcycles in the 1950's to a new Honda in 1992 - the year I retired and rode off into the sunset. I missed everything between those dates because it was nose to the grindstone for 34 years.
But I like vintage bikes and there are a number of the CB750's in our bike club. When the 1100 became available here last year I knew I had to have one, but missed getting one then so had to wait another year.
Oh yes, BTW, I'm 76 years-old and loving the new CB :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I didn't realize that the US Deluxe had dual mufflers. It does look more retro that way, but my CBF1000 had dual mufflers and I always found that the left muffler got in the way at chain cleaning/adjusting time. Besides, the 4-into-1 looks more like the older Kerker header system from my youth. Most CB750 owners I knew back then scrapped the original four mufflers for the lighter Kerkers.
 
LOL from my experience it wasn't for the weight it was for the noise....er sound.
 
Rocky_imp said:
We already had a thread about "age", but I'll jump in anyway.
I got my CB about the same way as Gumby got his - I happened to be there when it was being unloaded off the truck. I had to pull the trigger then and there as they were only getting two and one had been spoken for as I learned later.
Only Pearl Spencer blue is coming to Canada so Gumby's will be blue too just like I posted in another thread. It's not the deluxe model that's available in the US, but it certainly has a lot of "deluxe" features that I like - and I'm sure he will too.
I jumped from British motorcycles in the 1950's to a new Honda in 1992 - the year I retired and rode off into the sunset. I missed everything between those dates because it was nose to the grindstone for 34 years.
But I like vintage bikes and there are a number of the CB750's in our bike club. When the 1100 became available here last year I knew I had to have one, but missed getting one then so had to wait another year.
Oh yes, BTW, I'm 76 years-old and loving the new CB :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
+1 That's awesome Rocky
 
G'day and welcome, Gumby. Mine was the CB500 I couldn't afford in the early 70s.
 
I was only 11 when my '76 CB750 was built. So I had to go back in time first, (so glad I did) and now coming forward with the 2014 CB1100. Both are wonderful bikes and I grew up around Honda. Actually, I grew up in a time when Japan was taking over the market share in America. During my youth, people couldn't believe Harley-Davidson was still in business. In the seventy's and most of the eighty's all everyone did was lament the AMF years of H-D. Oh well, not going anywhere with this, just reflecting on how growing up in different era's can influence the decisions you make on even such things as purchasing a motorcycle. :thumbsup:
 
I'm in my late 50's so the CB1100 reminds me of what bikes were like when I first started getting interested in them in my teens. The first bike I ever rode was a Honda 90 that my older brother was brave enough to let me ride on my own at 14. Not on the street of course, but on some desert roads in So. Cal. My sister said he chewed on his nails the whole time I was gone on the bike, maybe 5 minutes at most. I've always loved him dearly for trusting me with his motorcycle. :heart: What a sweet guy he is.

But yes, the CB is what I expected to find to ride when I first started riding 10 years ago, but unless I wanted to buy a vintage bike I was out of luck. There was nothing like this out there when I started riding so ended up on cruisers since I didn't think a sport bike would be suitable for an old lady like me, LOL.
 
Back
Top