Not What I wanted for my 2nd posting...

Miami Jim_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
So… Friday nite I’m riding the CB1100 back from Brickell to Miami Beach via the 195, my girlfriend who’s following in her car has fallen behind, so I’m tooling in the right lane at around 55mph waiting for her to catch up. As the exit for 2nd avenue approaches, a white SUV in the middle lane realizes at the very last second that this is their exit and swerves suddenly into me.

No turn signals, nada (as the locals say). Problem is, I’m directly in their intended path and there’s no time to swerve or brake. I’m an experienced rider, taught the Canadian equivalent of the MSF course in Ontario for a couple of years, but there was simply no avoiding this one.

With the impact, the bike was knocked out from under me and I found myself sliding, the tumbling, then finally sliding again to a stop in the divider between the exit and the highway. Coming to a rest where I did, kept me away from oncoming traffic or I wouldn’t be here telling this cautionary tale. It’s amazing what you have time to think about in moments like these. I distinctly recall thinking (“this is going to really hurt” just as I fly off the bike, then (“shoot, I wonder how much of this my body can take”) as I’m tumbling along the highway.

Thank heavens it was a cool evening (for Miami), so I had full gear on.

After catching my breath for a moment I tried to sit up and check myself over, and was astonished to find that I was basically ok. A moment later I’m on my feet and looking for my bike that’s slid about 50 yards down the exit ramp he/she/it was trying to make - no they never stopped……..

A couple of kind folks including 2 lovely nurses stop to assist me and we get the CB back on its wheels and off to the shoulder where I can better assess damage to it and me.

The bike: trashed left rear view mirror and rear turn signal, passenger foot peg and left handlebar counter weight ground to 2/3 their previous width, and deeply scuffed left side engine cases. My brand new series 2 handle bar was also bent out of shape. Tho it felt normal on the ride back home, I’ll take the bike to a pro to check if the forks got tweaked. The headlight chrome trim me is slightly scuffed, but that’s about it, the bike is still rideable and I’m walking, thank my lucky stars!

That my gear literally saving my skin is the reason I’m typing this on my Mac at home rather than getting a crash course (pun intended) on the latest reconstructive surgery and skin graft techniques.

This is my Bering jacket, which has the heaviest leather of any bike gear I’ve ever owned and CE armour in elbows and shoulders. It’s been perforated in both elbows and seriously scuffed of the fore arms (I figure I must’ve been trying to keep my head off the pavement as I slid).


[url=http://s654.photobucket.com/user/Almuli/media/Misc/Jacket1.jpg.html]

These are my favourite Hein Gerick winter gloves, note the worn down knuckle protectors. The outside wrist area is also perforated, can’t figure how this might’ve happened. My hands are totally fine, but I shudder to think the mess they’d be without the protection.

[url=http://s654.photobucket.com/user/Almuli/media/Misc/Gloves.jpg.html]

My favourite Shoei helmet is no more….. I was so annoyed I tossed it before taking a picture, but the face shield gives you an idea. The impact was to the left temple area and had I not been wearing it, plastic surgery would’ve been in my year end plans instead of Christmas.

[url=http://s654.photobucket.com/user/Almuli/media/Misc/facesheild.jpg.html]

Even with the armour my elbow took a good whack and I’m pretty sure I have bruised a rib or two cause it hurts when I cough. Two days after the crash I’m already feeling a lot better, so I don’t think anything’s broken. Other than that I have a few minor abrasions where my jeans didn’t do as good a job as my leathers.

[url=http://s654.photobucket.com/user/Almuli/media/Misc/Elbow.jpg.html]

On a brighter note, I just got an email informing that my Comet fairing and color matched side panel have just shipped, so tomorrow I'll order the damaged bits - I'll have her looking nice pretty soon.
 
Wow! I'm so glad that you're even able to type this report. That sounds and looks like quite the thrashing you took.

Good luck with the repairs to body, bike, and psyche.
 
Jim glad to hear you are OK. Sounds like your gear did its job. Ive experienced this same scenario on the interstates while driving my truck with near misses a time or two. Often wondered and thought had I been on my bike
what could have happened. I now avoid interstate highways if at all possible when riding my CB. These nitwits texting and talking on cell phones are the drivers I fear the most on any road.
 
Glad you came out of it relatively unscathed! The fact that those people/person took off without stopping is infuriating. I hope you reported it, for whatever it's worth. With a general description of the vehicle and a time of the incident, there's always the chance that the vehicle was picked up on a surveillance cam from a business/gas station just off the freeway and a little investigation by the local police might lead to their identification and arrest.

Thank God your girlfriend was following in her car instead of on the back of your bike. Terrifying.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea, thanks for the good wishes.

Powerdogg, bet those cars just bounce right off your rig :)
metallyguitarded_imp said:
Glad you came out of it relatively unscathed! The fact that those people/person took off without stopping is infuriating. I hope you reported it, for whatever it's worth. With a general description of the vehicle and a time of the incident, there's always the chance that the vehicle was picked up on a surveillance cam from a business/gas station just off the freeway and a little investigation by the local police might lead to their identification and arrest.

Thank God your girlfriend was following in her car instead of on the back of your bike. Terrifying.
Agreed and AGREED. Thank goodness the GF wasn't on the back.
 
Glad things weren't worse Jim, the gear saved you from writing from a hospital bed. Sounds like a accident that can not be anticipated, wrong place at the wrong time. So, the SUV would have just left you for dead!!! Amazing how people just don't give a **** for human life.
 
Wow glad you are able to report that you are good. I can't believe they didn't stop. Unconscionable. Nobody got their lic plate?

Hope you heal quickly and fully and the bike gets repaired. Sometimes humankind disappoints me.
 
Interesting to see the gloves knuckle area worn like that.....my Dainese gloves have the armored protection there too, although I saw a debate on this forum once and someone thought the knuckle protection was not needed because you never fall on your knuckles, guess that's not always the case.
Glad you're OK, hope you have not lost your nerve and will ride again!
 
I'm glad you came out of that OK, Jim. Could have been a lot worse for you and the bike. I also. Hope you reported it and that the police take tracking down the driver seriously. It's a pretty heinous offense, in my view, to run away from an accident.

Thank god for good gear.
 
Wow. I am glad you are ok. I ride interstates a lot and have never encountered what you went through and Im usually in the far right hand lane just trying to stay out of everybodies way. Its one more thing I need to watch out for now around exits. It infuriates me that the person who hit you sped away.
 
Thank God for protective gear Jim. Hit and run driver was probably high on drugs or alcohol. Very happy you were not seriously injured.
 
Thank goodness you came out as well as you did. Any early Christmas present.

You must report, an I hope the find these criminals.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Nowhere in our society is our incivility and lack of respect, courtesy, or common decency more apparent than in our driving practices. Anyone who would knowingly run someone over like that and fail to stop to render assistance - let alone take responsibility, should be subject to losing their privilege to drive. For life.

JMHO.
 
Hope all is OK with you mate. Bikes are repairable or replaceable. The positive from this ugly incident is that you are alive and kicking. Get well quick and back in the saddle soon.

Best wishes, Tony.
 
Thread starter
Elipten_imp said:
Thank goodness you came out as well as you did. Any early Christmas present.

You must report, an I hope the find these criminals.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Indeed I had someone looking out for me on Friday.

Thanks for kind words everyone, I'll be fine in a week or so. I asked the folks who did stop to help but they came up after it had happened, so no witnesses. I'm pretty good at IDing cars like most gear heads, but it was only a flash from my left that looked like a late model SUV and I couldn't tell even the make.

I thought I'd let it slide, but I suppose the right thing to do is report it to the cops, tho the chances of finding the driver are pretty slim.
 
Glad you survived!

Thanks for the great pictures of your equipment...might save some of us who need to armour up.
 
I can't say this enough.....GO TO THE HOSPITAL. You might feel alright, but those bruised ribs might not just be bruised. I was knocked over at 30 mph in a similar manor and ended up with a broken collarbone, two ribs and a small puncture on my left lung. You can't be too careful in these circumstances. I also had a 1/4" deep puncture wound on my left ankle that took months to heal...that was fun.

I'm still not done with the doctors. I have an appointment this week for an MRI on my hip that could be a torn labrum and could end up needing surgery. My accident was on 5/23/14 and I'm not done yet. Just an FYI.

Heal up my friend.
 
Short Timer_imp said:
Nowhere in our society is our incivility and lack of respect, courtesy, or common decency more apparent than in our driving practices. Anyone who would knowingly run someone over like that and fail to stop to render assistance - let alone take responsibility, should be subject to losing their privilege to drive. For life.

JMHO.
And that's an opinion I share.
If there ever was a case for wearing gear, this is it.
This could have been so much worse, but we can't dwell on that.
Heal well and quickly Jim, and make a police report anyway as has been suggested.
 
Heal fast. When I had my store I always tried to sell up to the better
gear. Young guys doing track days would often stop back to show us
how well their gear held up.
Are you going to have your insurance cover the crash?
 
Glad you came through it with minor scuffs. Your guardian angel was on your shoulder that day for sure.

Randy's recommendation to have a doctor check you out is a good one.

Unconscionable the jerk did not stop and own up to it. Bad karma is on his or her way.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top