Not What I wanted for my 2nd posting...

Thread starter
ss2wheels_imp said:
Jim,so glad you're ok and I think I am going to start wearing more protective gear when I ride.Hope you recover quick my friend...
Second that! I too am guilty of ditching the jacket on warm days (tho never the helmet, boots or gloves). However going forward, if it's too warm to even where a mesh jacket, I might just forgo the ride.

Pauley, the girlfriend and her mom badgered me all weekend to go to the hospital, but I HATE those places, been there more times than I care to remember (9 surgeries in total due to a variety of sports related injuries), so I didn't and it's now day 3, tho still sore I feel less so than yesterday. I think I'll indulge my inner stubborn mule yet again :D

CA200, I only carry liability insurance on the bikes, always that accident coverage was a scan. Between the deductible and the amounts your future rates increase once you submit a claim it's really worth it unless you total the bike.
 
GLAD YOU ARE OK, JIM! I've had the same problem before. Sounds like they passed you halfway which put you into their blind spot and then jerked their wheel across your path. When I am passing an exit in the right lane, I ASSUME this is going to happen and watch that left side like a hawk. Another member in FL was hit from the left as well by someone changing lanes. I've had to move all the way over to the guardrail as a van changed lanes into me as I passed him on the left. He was full of people and chatting with them. - Sorry bout the bike, but you were saved by your gear as you said and that's the main thing. If you, or any of us are riding ahead of someone, let THEM do the paying attention TO YOU. We can't keep looking behind us to make sure someone stays with us. My wife has lagged behind me (as I ride or drive) and I just keep on trucking at the speed limit. It may not be polite to lose them, but it's deadly on a bike to lag behind with someone following. I later told my wife that if she is going to lag behind, I'm not waiting. Too dangerous. I ride in the middle lane until I need the exit and assume then, that the left lane guy will come over across my path, which they do from there too!
 
Miami Jim_imp said:
ss2wheels_imp said:
Jim,so glad you're ok and I think I am going to start wearing more protective gear when I ride.Hope you recover quick my friend...
Second that! I too am guilty of ditching the jacket on warm days (tho never the helmet, boots or gloves). However going forward, if it's too warm to even where a mesh jacket, I might just forgo the ride.

Pauley, the girlfriend and her mom badgered me all weekend to go to the hospital, but I HATE those places, been there more times than I care to remember (9 surgeries in total due to a variety of sports related injuries), so I didn't and it's now day 3, tho still sore I feel less so than yesterday. I think I'll indulge my inner stubborn mule yet again :D

CA200, I only carry liability insurance on the bikes, always that accident coverage was a scan. Between the deductible and the amounts your future rates increase once you submit a claim it's really worth it unless you total the bike.

CA200, I only carry liability insurance on the bikes, always that accident coverage was a scan. Between the deductible and the amounts your future rates increase once you submit a claim it's really worth it unless you total the bike.
If you report the crash and the police find the one responsible, you collect for your damages under THEIR insurance if they have it, and under uninsured motorist fund if they don't. Your rates will not rise if the other driver is at fault.
 
Like Nhawk was saying.....on multi lane roads, I like to be going faster/past everyone, that way, "I" decide what happens and make the decisions...especially when I was younger on my Ninja, I was in far left lane usually one of the fastest on the road, and felt fate was in my own hands.
 
Jim,
We still have relatives in Miami so we visit a couple of times a year and are able to see the South Florida driving habits. It is seriously the worst environment that I've seen in the south. Turn indicators do not exist down there, people just change lanes in an instant and expect others to get out of their way and there are 2 types of speeds, warp speed for everyone not a senior citizen who in turn drive at a snails pace. I'm amazed you ride in that environment. I have noticed more and more residential road improvements are including roundabouts to try and control the Miami local road traffic speeds since it's a huge grid with plenty of opportunities to bypass the horrible I-95/836/826 congestions. Of course I'm painting a broad picture but I'm sure everyone that rides becomes more aware of the "cager" traffic habits of their surroundings. Glad you had the gear on and came across relatively clean.
 
Miami Jim_imp said:
ss2wheels_imp said:
Jim,so glad you're ok and I think I am going to start wearing more protective gear when I ride.Hope you recover quick my friend...
Second that! I too am guilty of ditching the jacket on warm days (tho never the helmet, boots or gloves). However going forward, if it's too warm to even where a mesh jacket, I might just forgo the ride.

Pauley, the girlfriend and her mom badgered me all weekend to go to the hospital, but I HATE those places, been there more times than I care to remember (9 surgeries in total due to a variety of sports related injuries), so I didn't and it's now day 3, tho still sore I feel less so than yesterday. I think I'll indulge my inner stubborn mule yet again :D

CA200, I only carry liability insurance on the bikes, always that accident coverage was a scan. Between the deductible and the amounts your future rates increase once you submit a claim it's really worth it unless you total the bike.
Second that! I too am guilty of ditching the jacket on warm days (tho never the helmet, boots or gloves). However going forward, if it's too warm to even where a mesh jacket, I might just forgo the ride.

Pauley, the girlfriend and her mom badgered me all weekend to go to the hospital, but I HATE those places, been there more times than I care to remember (9 surgeries in total due to a variety of sports related injuries), so I didn't and it's now day 3, tho still sore I feel less so than yesterday. I think I'll indulge my inner stubborn mule yet again :D

CA200, I only carry liability insurance on the bikes, always that accident coverage was a scan. Between the deductible and the amounts your future rates increase once you submit a claim it's really worth it unless you total the bike.

There could be injuries that you don't know about that could cause issues down the road. Your medical insurance will cover you for the doctors visits seeing as you only have liability on the bike. I can't stress enough how important it is to get checked out after something like this.
Inner mule or not, you need to get in there, even if they tell you there is nothing major wrong. And if they do happen to find the BLEEP, BLEEP, BLEEP that did this, it can end up being more money for you.

/lecture :beerchug:
 
This is the sort of thread that I just hate to see. Glad the poster is a-ok, but just scares me a great deal. The most common reason is- well, just didn't see the biker. When in reality, just wasn't paying attention/ was talking on the darn phone or texting, or in such a hurry, only a glance.
 
I keep wondering to myself if this is one of those situations where loud pipes might have helped? The stock CB is sewing machine quiet when compared to many HD out there.

I need someone to invent a button on the handle bar to uncork the baffle when needed ;-)
 
It's called the horn button. I had 0 time to even think about reacting to my incident, and I can't imagine that he had much more time than I did.
 
huxley2_imp said:
This is the sort of thread that I just hate to see. Glad the poster is a-ok, but just scares me a great deal. The most common reason is- well, just didn't see the biker. When in reality, just wasn't paying attention/ was talking on the darn phone or texting, or in such a hurry, only a glance.
SMIDSY we call it in Australia: Sorry, mate I didn't see you. From Jim's description, I reckon the SUV would have hit him no matter what. My guess is that they saw the exit and realised late they were meant to take it and just set off for it without a glance. Fools. No. Darned incompetent fools.

Jim, Randy's right. See a doctor; you just don't know.
 
A police officer told me that on a Friday night up to 20 percent of everyone on the road is impaired. In Boston I notice many places where the highway planning is so bad you don't know where the exit is nor what lane to be in. Exits can end up being "suddenly" there. People also drive very slowly so someone drives around them before their exit, perhaps around a truck, and suddenly see their exit on the other side of a truck. All said and done, WE have to pay more attention. - It's tough in the cities with highways and congested traffic. And some people DON'T care about us. Some people don't care about anyone. A car full of dumb teens? They will do something stupid just for a laugh. Tired people. Habitual coffee drinkers who don't sleep enough and are between fixes. Countless people on psych meds that do who knows what to attention. Assume they WILL do the wrong thing. Spot good drivers and stay around them. - Gave my wife a new phone with super duper GPS. I will follow HER next time!
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Interesting to see the gloves knuckle area worn like that.....my Dainese gloves have the armored protection there too, although I saw a debate on this forum once and someone thought the knuckle protection was not needed because you never fall on your knuckles, guess that's not always the case.
Glad you're OK, hope you have not lost your nerve and will ride again!
After crashing multiple times on a track...I can vouch for those armored knuckles. They're mostly designed to project your knuckles when you're tumbling. Most often your hands are pulled away from your body and the back of your elbow and hand slap the ground pretty hard. The knuckle tries to dissipate some of that force over the back of your entire hand.

Miami Jim - Glad you're ok. I would definitely call the police and let the know the details. They can look for cars with damage to the side you were struck with and possibly find the culprit. Good luck.
 
The statistic I saw when I ran the Traffic Bureau of my department was that after 10PM, 1 out of every 40 drivers on the road were drunk. I avoid riding at all after dark.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Thank God for protective gear Jim. Hit and run driver was probably high on drugs or alcohol. Very happy you were not seriously injured.
Most likely "high" on their cell phone. Oblivious to the world around them and the fact that they even hit anything.
 
Seems to me that, even in an SUV on the phone with the radio up full bore, it would be hard not to realise you'd hit something. This driver got scared for any one of a number of possible reasons and did a runner. The more I think about it, the more heinous a crime it becomes.
 
Especially after you have been on the wrong end of that unwarranted fight.
 
You know, people are creatures of habit and get into one single commute route, at exactly the same time every day. When I was with the PD, it was easy sometimes to go back another day and I'd find the particular previous hit and run vehicle driving right by the same spot.

Maybe you could sit in a safe area near that exit ramp say, 15 minutes prior to the time of your crash on the same day of the week and wait and see if the vehicle goes by again. Snap a photo of the rear with license plate visible, and maybe even follow it a while and see where it goes. But just with the photo the police can run it and find their residence. And there's a good chance there will be some evidence of contact with you still on that vehicle.
 
Thread starter
George, I got but a glimpse of the SUV as it veered into me, I only know that it looks like one of those "crossover" types and that it was white. It could be one of 10 different brands, not enuf for an ID unfortunately. Yes it burns me that the bast_rd didn't stop, but I've decided to let it go.

However, on a brighter note, I'm happy to report that I'm doing MUCH better, the only really soreness that I still have worth mentioning is my ribs, shucks maybe they're broken after all.... Still..... feeling up to a little work, I replaced the bent handlebar with a new one from Takashi (what a nice person to deal with!), replaced the left side turn signals and while I was at it, installed new mirrors (CB500 F Honda OEM) and red side covers.

Before:



After:

[url=http://s654.photobucket.com/user/Almuli/media/Bikes/Misc%20Bikes/CB1100After-1.jpg.html]
 
Back
Top