Noroomtomove's First Law of Motion and Fuel Consumption

Cormanus

Administrator
Staff member
Thread starter
Pterodactyl and I recently took a very agreeable lunch with noroomtomove and his delightful wife at their very agreeable house where, ironically, there's plenty of room to move.

Pterodactyl and I were moving on after lunch to a destination nearer Phillip Island and the conversation—as it inevitably does with CB1100 owners—moved on to where our next fuel stop should be. It's an issue with the CB1100 because it doesn't carry an enormous payload of fuel and the 2010 and 2011 models sold in Australia—like the 2013 model in the US—don't have the fancy computer that tells you how many miles/kilometres you have to ride.

Noroomtomove suddenly announced, "It's easy. When the reserve light starts blinking I know I've used 10 litres of fuel. I divide the distance I've travelled since I filled up by 10 and then multiply by 4 which tells me how many kilometres I have left to run."

An example: The reserve light starts flashing at 201.3 kilometres. Divide by 10 = 20.13. Multiply by 4 = 80.52 kilometres left before there's a hideous sputtering and the bike stops.

The formula for Noroomtomove's First Law of Motion and Fuel Consumption can be expressed thus:

KR = KT/10 x 4

Where—
KR = Kilometres remaining; and
KT = Kilometres travelled

Why 4, I hear you ask. Because the CB's tank carries 14.6 litres of fuel which means that, with 10 litres gone, 4.6 remain. 4 is near enough as a multiplier for a back-of-the-fag-packet calculation and leaves a margin of error.

Now Pterodactyl and I are naturally cautious and believe we are slightly harder on the right wrist than noroomtomove, so we decided to use 3 as the multiplier to give us some margin of error. A later check with the manual said that, if the tank is level, the reserve light will start to flash when approximately 3.6 litres remain in the tank. As the tank is said to hold 14.6 litres, the calculation should be based on a divisor of 11 and a multiplier of 3.6. However, if, like me, you're a mathematical klutz and can't use a calculator without pulling over, noroomtomove's first law is pure genius.

Neither Pterodactyl or I ran out of fuel, but then we never have. We did push on further for our next refuel than we otherwise might have. However, I can say that application of the Law gave me much greater comfort than I have ever had when running close to the line.

Thanks noroomtomove.
 
Holy crap math while riding? In my head? I'm not even good with the calculator in my iphone. Thank goodness I have a 14 DLX with a big tank and built in computer.
 
That's funny - one of the things I do to amuse myself on long rides is math equations in my head.

Can't wait to try this one out!
 
Am I the only one who uses the trip odometer?
I use my head for important things while riding - like day dreaming.
 
With my 13 I just ride till I get close to 150 and stop, but with my Versys 300X I don't
even have to think about it - 4.5 Gal. and it gets 70 mpg . It does have a mileage computer but I don't think I have ever got it below 100 miles left in the tank -
 
I ride for pleasure. Two gas gauge bars remaining on the gauge didn't bother me. But one bar made me nervous, as I ride a lot of barren back roads during the week to avoid traffic. Once I had the last flashing bar go blank. After pushing the right dash button twice, I was shown the calculated remaining mileage. Sweated it out till I reached a gas station near home. Swore I wouldn't do that again.

Now I top my CB1100 EX at the end of my rides so I know it is full for the next ride. I also plan for the needed gas stop during my 8 to 5 day rides. My run dry distance is 300 kilometers - 185 miles, but I usually top up at 250 kilometers - 155 miles. If both a good restaurant and a reliable gas station are available, I will stretch it to 275 kilometers - 170 miles. That is usually when my the last gas gauge bar goes blank.
 
Thread starter
4 Paws_imp said:
Am I the only one who uses the trip odometer?
I use my head for important things while riding - like day dreaming.
4paws, for noroomtomove’s Law to work, you have to use the trip odometer as you have to know how far you’ve travelled since you filled up.
 
I did quite a bit of back road touring this year. The only times I really worried about my fuel situation was when a gas station was not where it was supposed to be. I typically plan for 150 miles to between gas stops if I'm riding typical back road speeds (55-65 mph) which means the gauge will start flashing about 5 - 10 miles before my gas stop.

On my last long trip, I did have a few fuel scares. The first was when I had a planned stop off an Interstate and the exit was closed for repairs. The next exit was another 8 miles down the highway, then an additional 7 miles from that exit to the nearest station. I arrived pretty close to empty. The following day, I mistakenly assumed that there would be a gas station at the junction of two Interstate highways. You know what happens when you assume? :D I got to the junction and there was nothing there. Ended up riding another 24 miles with the gauge flashing before reaching a little town a small gas station/convenience store.

My rule of thumb is that when the gauge starts flashing, you have at least 20 miles left. Anything beyond that you can attribute to luck or clean living. :P
 
Thread starter
Good rule, Flyn.

A bit like you, I've always operated on the premise that I could probably wring about 250 kms (155 miles) out of a tank, and I've tended to want to fill up around 230 kms. The beauty of Noroomtomove's First Law of Motion and Fuel Consumption is that I'm now pretty comfortable that touring I can get a more than that without becoming too anxious.

On a recent trip my reserve light has usually started flashing at around 210 kms (130 miles). Applying NRTM's Law tells me I have another 84 kms (52 miles) up my sleeve which is an extra 44 kms (27 miles) over my normal expectation—294 kms total rather than 250 kms. However, if the thing starts flashing at 165 kms (102 miles), I've got only 66 kms (41 miles) and I need to be much more concerned about filling up. Plenty of city riding dramatically reduces my fuel economy.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Good rule, Flyn.

A bit like you, I've always operated on the premise that I could probably wring about 250 kms (155 miles) out of a tank, and I've tended to want to fill up around 230 kms. The beauty of Noroomtomove's First Law of Motion and Fuel Consumption is that I'm now pretty comfortable that touring I can get a more than that without becoming too anxious.

On a recent trip my reserve light has usually started flashing at around 210 kms (130 miles). Applying NRTM's Law tells me I have another 84 kms (52 miles) up my sleeve which is an extra 44 kms (27 miles) over my normal expectation—294 kms total rather than 250 kms. However, if the thing starts flashing at 165 kms (102 miles), I've got only 66 kms (41 miles) and I need to be much more concerned about filling up. Plenty of city riding dramatically reduces my fuel economy.
That's also what i like about Noroomtomove's method. It takes into account the current fuel burn. One of the things that worried me about my second fuel scare was that I'd been riding at 80 mph into a 20 mph headwind. The gauge started flashing early because I was getting less than 40 miles/gallon rather than my usual 50.

I use a similar method in my airplane. By running one of my two tanks until it's empty, I can calculate the exact fuel burn on that particular flight and accurately estimate how far I can go with my remaining fuel. (fuel burn rate varies with altitude, power setting and winds)

Thanks for the this extremely practical and usable post! :thumbsup:
 
On one trip at my planned gas stop the station was closed to install new pumps. I hate doubling back, but I should have. It was only 10 minutes back to a open station. Instead I sweated it out for an hour on barren roads to reach the next station. Dumb! :(
 
I've regretted the stress every time I've done the same thing :shy:

Nortoon_imp said:
On one trip at my planned gas stop the station was closed to install new pumps. I hate doubling back, but I should have. It was only 10 minutes back to a open station. Instead I sweated it out for an hour on barren roads to reach the next station. Dumb! :(
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Pterodactyl and I recently took a very agreeable lunch with noroomtomove and his delightful wife at their very agreeable house where, ironically, there's plenty of room to move.

Pterodactyl and I were moving on after lunch to a destination nearer Phillip Island and the conversation—as it inevitably does with CB1100 owners—moved on to where our next fuel stop should be. It's an issue with the CB1100 because it doesn't carry an enormous payload of fuel and the 2010 and 2011 models sold in Australia—like the 2013 model in the US—don't have the fancy computer that tells you how many miles/kilometres you have to ride.

Noroomtomove suddenly announced, "It's easy. When the reserve light starts blinking I know I've used 10 litres of fuel. I divide the distance I've travelled since I filled up by 10 and then multiply by 4 which tells me how many kilometres I have left to run."

An example: The reserve light starts flashing at 201.3 kilometres. Divide by 10 = 20.13. Multiply by 4 = 80.52 kilometres left before there's a hideous sputtering and the bike stops.

The formula for Noroomtomove's First Law of Motion and Fuel Consumption can be expressed thus:

KR = KT/10 x 4

Where—
KR = Kilometres remaining; and
KT = Kilometres travelled

Why 4, I hear you ask. Because the CB's tank carries 14.6 litres of fuel which means that, with 10 litres gone, 4.6 remain. 4 is near enough as a multiplier for a back-of-the-fag-packet calculation and leaves a margin of error.

Now Pterodactyl and I are naturally cautious and believe we are slightly harder on the right wrist than noroomtomove, so we decided to use 3 as the multiplier to give us some margin of error. A later check with the manual said that, if the tank is level, the reserve light will start to flash when approximately 3.6 litres remain in the tank. As the tank is said to hold 14.6 litres, the calculation should be based on a divisor of 11 and a multiplier of 3.6. However, if, like me, you're a mathematical klutz and can't use a calculator without pulling over, noroomtomove's first law is pure genius.

Neither Pterodactyl or I ran out of fuel, but then we never have. We did push on further for our next refuel than we otherwise might have. However, I can say that application of the Law gave me much greater comfort than I have ever had when running close to the line.

Thanks noroomtomove.
There is a simpler accurate formula. 3.6/11 = 1/3.06 so...

KR = KT / 3 [kilometers]

Then the USA version is 3.6×.62/11=1/4.93 or...

MR = MT / 5 [miles]

My light starts flashing at 130 miles typically. That should leave about 26 miles to go on the tank by that formula. I've exceeded that many times so it should be a conservative formula.
 
if you have a regular driving style so you know you Average consumption.....and you know the tankvolume.....where is the problem ? if you are scared so you take the highest consumption that you ever had....all other you have learned in the school , like to caculate/compute how much i need for 100km or just 1 km.....

or if start the reserve/ blink and you know how much liter is it (drivermanual) , no problem to comput , right ? ........well minimium at the DLX you have some luxury : it shows the the rest/remaining distance and too the Average consumption ..or how much gaz you had burn until now....or the actual consumption...and i must say its most realy exactly



the only real problem can be ; if you dont know your ridedistance /wehre is the next gazstation...

:
:
and minimum at the tank from the DLX....for the last liter you need some patience , swallow for swallow ....
 
Alprider in some areas of this country particularly the west, knowing how far you can go and where the next gas station is can be critical. Same goes for Australia. Not like most of Europe where cities and even countries are close together. When my wife and I rode in Europe we went thru 3 countries in 160 miles. 160 miles won't get you into 2 states out here, not even through one state in most circumstances. It can easily be a couple hundred miles between stations here.
 
just i said..thats the only real problem : to know wehre i am and wehre is the next gazstation

the basic averach reach of the bike you know......

and yes i know about my luxury/luck...in my place i have minium every 15km a gazsation in my whole country ...
i have no navigation........so far i know its easy with it to findout the distance to the next gazstation i mean the gazstations its in the menue like "points of interests"...well clear its only the question how actual and exact are the maps from the navigations...
 
alprider_imp said:
just i said..thats the only real problem : to know wehre i am and wehre is the next gazstation

the basic averach reach of the bike you know......

and yes i know about my luxury/luck...in my place i have minium every 15km a gazsation in my whole country ...
i have no navigation........so far i know its easy with it to findout the distance to the next gazstation i mean the gazstations its in the menue like "points of interests"...well clear its only the question how actual and exact are the maps from the navigations...
Yeah, it's a little crowded there. The complete road network of Switzerland is just 71,464 km, compared to 6,586,610 km of the USA. :cool:

Schweiz vs USA: Ländervergleich und Statistiken
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Pterodactyl and I recently took a very agreeable lunch with noroomtomove and his delightful wife at their very agreeable house where, ironically, there's plenty of room to move.

Pterodactyl and I were moving on after lunch to a destination nearer Phillip Island and the conversation—as it inevitably does with CB1100 owners—moved on to where our next fuel stop should be. It's an issue with the CB1100 because it doesn't carry an enormous payload of fuel and the 2010 and 2011 models sold in Australia—like the 2013 model in the US—don't have the fancy computer that tells you how many miles/kilometres you have to ride.

Noroomtomove suddenly announced, "It's easy. When the reserve light starts blinking I know I've used 10 litres of fuel. I divide the distance I've travelled since I filled up by 10 and then multiply by 4 which tells me how many kilometres I have left to run."

An example: The reserve light starts flashing at 201.3 kilometres. Divide by 10 = 20.13. Multiply by 4 = 80.52 kilometres left before there's a hideous sputtering and the bike stops.

The formula for Noroomtomove's First Law of Motion and Fuel Consumption can be expressed thus:

KR = KT/10 x 4

Where—
KR = Kilometres remaining; and
KT = Kilometres travelled

Why 4, I hear you ask. Because the CB's tank carries 14.6 litres of fuel which means that, with 10 litres gone, 4.6 remain. 4 is near enough as a multiplier for a back-of-the-fag-packet calculation and leaves a margin of error.

Now Pterodactyl and I are naturally cautious and believe we are slightly harder on the right wrist than noroomtomove, so we decided to use 3 as the multiplier to give us some margin of error. A later check with the manual said that, if the tank is level, the reserve light will start to flash when approximately 3.6 litres remain in the tank. As the tank is said to hold 14.6 litres, the calculation should be based on a divisor of 11 and a multiplier of 3.6. However, if, like me, you're a mathematical klutz and can't use a calculator without pulling over, noroomtomove's first law is pure genius.

Neither Pterodactyl or I ran out of fuel, but then we never have. We did push on further for our next refuel than we otherwise might have. However, I can say that application of the Law gave me much greater comfort than I have ever had when running close to the line.

Thanks noroomtomove.
I think the same NFLM&FC will apply to my 17L (16.8L) tank.....toooo late to test it due to already started hibernation::
HIBERNATION
Thanks
pb
 
As you know, Cormanus, my butt gives out before the gas does. I guess you could say that when it comes to fill-ups, I fly by the seat of my pants :P
 
good to see Motogeezer back :thumbsup:

i have a 4.7 gal tank and was rushing into the nearest station as soon as the red started flashing only to find I could only put 3 gals in the tank .
now i go 30-35 more miles and fill it with about 4 gals.
or i just tank every 150 miles around town.
not very complicated but do miss the reserve fuel leaver on my older bikes
 
Back
Top