no more Motus motorcycles

That sucks...I hate this. They built a tremendous motorcycle at a price a few could justify. I would have one today if I could come to terms with the cost.
 
Unfortunately they built a terrific sport touring bike in a market that doesn't care about sport touring bikes. I never thought the price was unreasonable considering what you were getting in terms of beautiful styling, engineering uniqueness, and raw capability. High-end CVO Harleys cost much more.
 
Stichill_imp said:
Unfortunately they built a terrific sport touring bike in a market that doesn't care about sport touring bikes. I never thought the price was unreasonable considering what you were getting in terms of beautiful styling, engineering uniqueness, and raw capability. High-end CVO Harleys cost much more.
I agree. HD sells CVO models every year that cost more than a Motus yet the CVO's lack the premium components that made the Motus special. A friend has a CVO Ultra Classic which needed an aftermarket suspension upgrade to make it ride decent. The new Gold Wing is in the same price category but does have top grade engineering and is probably wort the cost.
 
If it had had ABS, cruise control, riding modes, etc. I would have been in the market for one at the price.
 
Stichill_imp said:
Unfortunately they built a terrific sport touring bike in a market that doesn't care about sport touring bikes. I never thought the price was unreasonable considering what you were getting in terms of beautiful styling, engineering uniqueness, and raw capability. High-end CVO Harleys cost much more.
this is true, and i agree with your sentiment, but high end CVO harleys are harleys. the people that can afford a Motus are the kind of people that Harley spends all their time marketing too. what i meant by my statement was that I think they were playing around in a price bracket that was dominated by a demographic that just doesn't want a sport touring bike.
 
A fitting epitaph
Stichill' pid='217104' dateline='1535849731 said:
Unfortunately they built a terrific sport touring bike in a market that doesn't care about sport touring bikes....
+1
(Could you somehow make this a bit shorter, so it fits on their tombstone?)

Too late now, but they should have moved the sales focus to Europe. More rich sport touring customers, tighter geography for dealer support...
 
Feel sorry for those that bought one. Hard to imagine any dealer support going forward and what will the parts availability be like? Not to mention what are probably worthless warranties.

Great bikes but too expensive. Personally I would take a sport tourer over an ADV any day but I know that isn't the way the market is today.

Sad.
 
I reckon it's a bit sad. In truth I doubt I'd ever have bought one, but I like the look of them a lot.
 
Roper_imp said:
Crap. Maybe Polaris could buy Motus. They worked a miracle with Indian.
That would be a good outcome but will never happen. That motor is a real gem and belongs in a high performance touring bike. A company like Polaris could make it work I think.
 
People buy Motus crate motors and put them in RZRs. There's even a fit kit for it. I wonder if there's a customization company out there with deep enough pockets to at least keep the motor production going. That motor could go in lightweight roadsters, side-by-sides, sand rails, as well as motorcycles.
 
saw one at the Barber museum in Alabama, really like them.

Really liked, couldn't afford.

Have not seen much on the aftermarket.
 
The Motus is marketed at guys my uncle used to say "had more balls than brains". Add in there "more money than sense". Actors and musicians, tech geeks wanting to look cool and exclusive were the customers for toys like that, but that said, I would love to ride one, just for sh!ts'n'giggles. One half of a V8! What's not to love?
 
Back
Top