New Yamaha

Looks like you just had the wrong bike in the foreground. :P

Seriously, tell us more. Are you happy with it?
 
Thread starter
I didn't know what to think at first.

I saw it roll onto the dealership sales floor, just after it was set up and serviced, and I thought it looked like a bunch of parts that really didn't like each other.

They threw me the keys and said go try it out. It's fast, handles well, and although it's a bit tall and feels like a supermoto, it's really easy to ride. Quite fast, and has a wicked three cylinder snarl as I rip through the gears.

I liked it, so I bought it. Only one they're getting this year.
 
Good for you, Roger. Looks like you beat Motogeezer to the draw. Hope you have a lot of fun with it.
 
Congrats! My son loves his FJ 09. Says the motor is a gem.
 
Do what makes you happy. Congratulations
 
What a nice looking machine; must be stupid fun to ride in town and just zip around. A lot of owners go ahead and do the shock and forks; Ohlins and Penske seem to be the ticket. Heard an ECU reflash helps cure the snatch throttle. Buddy of mine got the first one when the came out in '14 and says those things help a lot, but it's not a track bike. Two-piece frame and all gets a bit springy in the high-speed stuff. Not meant for that anyhow.
 
Thread starter
Sure is a lot of fun, especially with the traction control turned off and a more agressive engine map selected. Front end got very light accelerating down the freeway on ramp on my way to coffee this morning. :D
 
Roger the shrubber_imp said:
Sure is a lot of fun, especially with the traction control turned off and a more agressive engine map selected. Front end got very light accelerating down the freeway on ramp on my way to coffee this morning. :D
How light did it get AFTER you had your coffee?
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
What a nice looking machine; must be stupid fun to ride in town and just zip around. A lot of owners go ahead and do the shock and forks; Ohlins and Penske seem to be the ticket. Heard an ECU reflash helps cure the snatch throttle. Buddy of mine got the first one when the came out in '14 and says those things help a lot, but it's not a track bike. Two-piece frame and all gets a bit springy in the high-speed stuff. Not meant for that anyhow.
Those issues apparently were with the first year FZ09 and have already been addressed as per the moco. I'm sure there is room for improvement but the throttle issue is supposed to be much better than before.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
 
uscgmac_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
What a nice looking machine; must be stupid fun to ride in town and just zip around. A lot of owners go ahead and do the shock and forks; Ohlins and Penske seem to be the ticket. Heard an ECU reflash helps cure the snatch throttle. Buddy of mine got the first one when the came out in '14 and says those things help a lot, but it's not a track bike. Two-piece frame and all gets a bit springy in the high-speed stuff. Not meant for that anyhow.
Those issues apparently were with the first year FZ09 and have already been addressed as per the moco. I'm sure there is room for improvement but the throttle issue is supposed to be much better than before.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
Those issues apparently were with the first year FZ09 and have already been addressed as per the moco. I'm sure there is room for improvement but the throttle issue is supposed to be much better than before.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk So I have heard. First year bikes sometimes have glitches.
 
Thread starter
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Roger the shrubber_imp said:
Sure is a lot of fun, especially with the traction control turned off and a more agressive engine map selected. Front end got very light accelerating down the freeway on ramp on my way to coffee this morning. :D
How light did it get AFTER you had your coffee?
How light did it get AFTER you had your coffee?
Lol... It's a new bike. I'll get back to you after it's broken in.
Nothing major to report, I think they got the fueling sorted out on the FZ-FJ-09 series bikes and that includes the new XSR. However, It's just a tiny bit snatchy at low revs if I'm in too tall of a gear, but does smooth out as rpm increases. My Yamaha guys told me they can adjust the CO and fuel maps with the proprietary scan tool. I know this is possible with my FJR without the tool, as you can put the ECM into diagnostic mode using the select and reset buttons next to the clocks.
 
Back
Top