New seat

Swartzracer_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Well I gave it a good honest try. I put 4300 miles on my bike and the stock seat has to go. I like the looks of it but after an hour of riding I feel the burning sensation coming on pretty strong. I broke down and ordered a Corbin. I hope it works out for me. They are pretty pricey. Now I just have 6-7 weeks of waiting until it gets here. Anyone else have a Corbin that would like to share some thoughts to ease my mind in making a good purchase?
 
Swartzracer_imp said:
Well I gave it a good honest try. I put 4300 miles on my bike and the stock seat has to go. I like the looks of it but after an hour of riding I feel the burning sensation coming on pretty strong. I broke down and ordered a Corbin. I hope it works out for me. They are pretty pricey. Now I just have 6-7 weeks of waiting until it gets here. Anyone else have a Corbin that would like to share some thoughts to ease my mind in making a good purchase?
Swartz,

I've been using a Corbin on my CB11 for two years now. It's excellent. I can ride on it all day.

Chip
 
Swartzracer_imp said:
Well I gave it a good honest try. I put 4300 miles on my bike and the stock seat has to go. I like the looks of it but after an hour of riding I feel the burning sensation coming on pretty strong. I broke down and ordered a Corbin. I hope it works out for me. They are pretty pricey. Now I just have 6-7 weeks of waiting until it gets here. Anyone else have a Corbin that would like to share some thoughts to ease my mind in making a good purchase?
I have to echo your comments. I have about 2000 kms now on my 2014 cb1100 and although I love the look of the seat, and find it comfortable enough for short trips, anything longer (1 hour or more) is a killer and just hard to enjoy the experience when my butt is on fire lol.
Im looking into the Corbin as well- I may wait until the off season and just suffer it out for now tho-but a new seat is the next upgrade for my CB.
 
I am planning on the same thing.. I even tried 'Anti Monkey Butt Powder" lol. Stock seat is not for me! I didn't know it took that long though, maybe I will wait until season ends idk.
 
I would love to have a Corbin or one of the other seats available, but with my short legs I can't afford to give up any distance to the ground.
What I did do was buy a pair of Moto-skiveez Moto-Skiveez | Redefining Riding Comfort With Technical Base Layers which has helped some. They're like bicycle shorts with padding in the right places.
I've only worn them a couple of times so far and can ride for about 90 minutes before I start to squirm. By then it's time for a break anyway.
They aren't the be-all and end-all, but do help.
Sorry if I hijacked this thread.
 
Rocky_imp said:
I would love to have a Corbin or one of the other seats available, but with my short legs I can't afford to give up any distance to the ground.
What I did do was buy a pair of Moto-skiveez Moto-Skiveez | Redefining Riding Comfort With Technical Base Layers which has helped some. They're like bicycle shorts with padding in the right places.
I've only worn them a couple of times so far and can ride for about 90 minutes before I start to squirm. By then it's time for a break anyway.
They aren't the be-all and end-all, but do help.
Sorry if I hijacked this thread.
Thanks for the tip Rocky. My neighbors are serious touring guys. we do 3/4 hour trips every other weekend. 3/4 hours for them is a drop in the bucket-but for me...its quite a workout on the stock seat.
You brought up another good point tho that I wonder if anyone can comment on?
Does the seat height of the Corbin put you at the same height as the stock seat (or is it higher). I'm the same as you Rocky-shorter legs and I don't want to add any height.
 
Rocky_imp said:
I would love to have a Corbin or one of the other seats available, but with my short legs I can't afford to give up any distance to the ground.
What I did do was buy a pair of Moto-skiveez Moto-Skiveez | Redefining Riding Comfort With Technical Base Layers which has helped some. They're like bicycle shorts with padding in the right places.
I've only worn them a couple of times so far and can ride for about 90 minutes before I start to squirm. By then it's time for a break anyway.
They aren't the be-all and end-all, but do help.
Sorry if I hijacked this thread.
Looks like a great product. Synthetic compression undies from Target (Champion brand) make the stock seat a lot more bearable too and cost about $15.

It's funny, the stock seat feels great when you first sit on it. Soft and comfy. Then after a half hour the burn starts to creep in and you can't really escape it. Too-soft seats dig in and don't let go.

I've ridden a Corbin on my Hawk for years and been to South Dakota and Durango no problem. It's firm, and that's a good thing (for me at least)!

That all said, can't wait for my new Daytona Cozy on its way from Japan :).
 
I had a Corbin on my NT650 Honda Hawk and liked it very much.
It was quite a bit wider than the factory seat and caused me to spread my legs more, thus giving up a bit of leg length.
But I got used to it and didn't have any problem. Once my feet were on the pegs I enjoyed the wider seat.
The Hawk is lower than the CB anyway and I rode the bike on many long trips in good comfort.
I think most of the other seats available are thicker (higher).

http://s392.photobucket.com/user/Rock500_2008/media/Motorcycles/Honda Hawk NT650.jpg.html
 
Rocky_imp said:
I had a Corbin on my NT650 Honda Hawk and liked it very much.
It was quite a bit wider than the factory seat and caused me to spread my legs more, thus giving up a bit of leg length.
But I got used to it and didn't have any problem. Once my feet were on the pegs I enjoyed the wider seat.
The Hawk is lower than the CB anyway and I rode the bike on many long trips in good comfort.
I think most of the other seats available are thicker (higher).



Here's the one I rode everywhere. It was on the bike when I bought it. I got a new Corbin for it a while back though, so this seat happens to be for sale!
[url=http://www.hawkgtforum.com/forum/forum/classifieds/for-sale-threads-buy-sell-trade/728634-fs-corbin-gunfighter-lady-w-backrest]http://www.hawkgtforum.com/forum/forum/classifieds/for-sale-threads-buy-sell-trade/728634-fs-corbin-gunfighter-lady-w-backrest



[url=http://s732.photobucket.com/user/eojacobson/media/Colorado%20Motorcycle%20Tour%20June%202011/P6230001.jpg.html]
 
My bike came with a Corbin. I have one on my KLR650 and was looking forward to this new one. But the challenge for me, as a little guy, is that my ass sits about three inches in front of the point the designers want it to. I'm sure it would be very comfortable if I could sit at the point where my tail was against where the raised part of the seat starts, but that position leaves me leaning way forward. So I end up sitting on the narrower front part of the seat. As to seat height, I find it to be about the same as the stock seat.
I switch the seats out regularly, as my daughters like the Corbin and it's back rest. I'm riding long on Friday, so I'll see how comfortable it is over the course of a day.
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
My bike came with a Corbin. I have one on my KLR650 and was looking forward to this new one. But the challenge for me, as a little guy, is that my ass sits about three inches in front of the point the designers want it to. I'm sure it would be very comfortable if I could sit at the point where my tail was against where the raised part of the seat starts, but that position leaves me leaning way forward. So I end up sitting on the narrower front part of the seat. As to seat height, I find it to be about the same as the stock seat.
I switch the seats out regularly, as my daughters like the Corbin and it's back rest. I'm riding long on Friday, so I'll see how comfortable it is over the course of a day.
that's really good info. I called Corbin and asked them a few questions on seat position and they didn't seem to know too much.
my concern as you point out -is that you will be sitting too far back with the Corbin as the stock allows you a little more forward position -and this could affect your control over the motorcycle (balance, steering etc).
Im wondering (out loud so to speak) that if putting a "cruiser" style seat on a street styled bike would affect its handling dynamics?
does anyone have any direct experience with the Corbin in that area that they could share? Thanks
 
Rocky_imp said:
I would love to have a Corbin or one of the other seats available, but with my short legs I can't afford to give up any distance to the ground.
What I did do was buy a pair of Moto-skiveez Moto-Skiveez | Redefining Riding Comfort With Technical Base Layers which has helped some. They're like bicycle shorts with padding in the right places.
I've only worn them a couple of times so far and can ride for about 90 minutes before I start to squirm. By then it's time for a break anyway.
They aren't the be-all and end-all, but do help.
Sorry if I hijacked this thread.

Hey Rocky, about to trek on a 3 hour trip soon and I have the 13 standard...pretty uncomfortable seat for long rides. Those skiveez work pretty well for the long haul? Thinking about getting my gf and I a pair.
 
specialist8_imp said:
Rocky_imp said:
I would love to have a Corbin or one of the other seats available, but with my short legs I can't afford to give up any distance to the ground.
What I did do was buy a pair of Moto-skiveez Moto-Skiveez | Redefining Riding Comfort With Technical Base Layers which has helped some. They're like bicycle shorts with padding in the right places.
I've only worn them a couple of times so far and can ride for about 90 minutes before I start to squirm. By then it's time for a break anyway.
They aren't the be-all and end-all, but do help.
Sorry if I hijacked this thread.

Hey Rocky, about to trek on a 3 hour trip soon and I have the 13 standard...pretty uncomfortable seat for long rides. Those skiveez work pretty well for the long haul? Thinking about getting my gf and I a pair.

Hey Rocky, about to trek on a 3 hour trip soon and I have the 13 standard...pretty uncomfortable seat for long rides. Those skiveez work pretty well for the long haul? Thinking about getting my gf and I a pair.
As I said, they aren't the greatest thing since sliced bread, but they do help. A lot depends on the person and your weight I think. I weight 190 and lasted about 90 minutes of steady riding before I began to feel the burn. Time for a rest by then anyway.
As a matter of fact, the first day I tried them was on a three hour loop along the coast and back and they worked quite well for me.
You may like them - or maybe not.
 
I feel the stock seat (13) pushes me forward a little. If I want to sit perfectly straight up, I feel the pressure on the tail bone from the rise in the shape between rider and passenger . Does the corbin seat do that as well?
 
The Corbin has a more pronounced rise to the passenger level, but I think that is because it dips a bit toward that "sweet spot" you are supposed to sit in. But I can't reach that spot, so it's no help to me. That might keep you from feeling like you are being pushed forward. More of a bucket, if you will.
 
Thread starter
Well it came. A lot quicker then I thought.
I would like to say I love it. Even though I paid a lot for it I am going to be honest. I liked the look of the stock seat. I guess this one will have to grow on me. It is very firm. I am probably going to purchase 1" bar risers so I can slide back a little into the pocket of the seat. I'm only 5'6" so that is keeping me from taking advantage of the seat. I will post more about it as the miles are put on.

 
Is it just me? I sit right up next to the tank on both my bikes. I wouldn't be able to ride sitting that far back. I tried on my CB the other day and just couldn't make it work.

I've always sat close to the tanks on bikes. Edit to add: Can anybody comment on this?
 
Back
Top