New rear tire or both new tires?

Has anyone on this forum had personal experience of a plugged tyre failing?
 
I had an Avon rear tire on an ol' Yamaha Seca 550 that had three plugs in it. Never leaked, no imbalance behaviour.

For clarity: I never used "mushroom plugs", but rather the "shoe string" type. I always vulcanized the endpoint after installation.
 
Only had the original rear that the dealer wouldn’t plug. My friend plugged it for me and I rode it until I replaced the tires when they wore out.
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
Whoops_imp said:
Front and rear tires ordered. :D
Which ones did you order??
I ordered the Bridgestone’s from Partzilla using the OEM part numbers. I presume they will be the Battlax BT54’s?

Mixagon_imp said:
What's wrong with sticking a tube in it.
Didn’t even occur to me to be honest. I wouldn’t know where to begin with finding a tube that fits.
 
Solid move on replacing both at the same time IMHO.

Years ago I replaced just the rears on my S2000 and less than a year later, I needed fronts...and from that point on I was "off cycle" with always having a mismatched set. Needless to say, like socks, I just replace them both. If one is still in good shape, maybe hold onto it in case you have an emergency and then pitch it after a year. Just my 2 cents.
 
Mixagon_imp said:
What's wrong with sticking a tube in it.
[li]Excessive heat buildup from friction[/li] [li]Potential for catastrophic blowout / deflation
[/li] I'd rather ride on a plug personally.
 
Stichill_imp said:
Mixagon_imp said:
What's wrong with sticking a tube in it.
[li]Excessive heat buildup from friction[/li] [li]Potential for catastrophic blowout / deflation
[/li] I'd rather ride on a plug personally.
[li]Excessive heat buildup from friction[/li] [li]Potential for catastrophic blowout / deflation
[/li] I'd rather ride on a plug personally.
I know a few people who do this on cars and motorcycles with no problems, of course the tyre shops are against this because they want to sell tyres.
 
Thread starter
So I called around and as previously stated, pretty much everyone refused to repair the tire. I did find one shop that said “bring it down and I will take a look at it”. Once I got there he said “Nope, can’t touch it. But go down to this other shop and ask for Chris. Tell him I sent you.”

Turns out Chris doesn’t give two craps about liability and was happy to try and plug it. It still has a slow leak though but he offered to try again if that happened. I will give him another crack at it and if nothing else it gets me by until the Bridgestone’s arrive.

Again, I learn that life is more often who you know rather than what you know. :dodgy:
 
A tire can legally be repaired if one inspects it and follows DOT regulations. Simple.
 
Interesting that I found this so fast... I need tires on my 2014 DLX. After 7000 miles, the front is worn unevenly and shows signs of dry rot. The rear looks pretty good... go figure. Anyway it’s time for new tires. Does anyone have experience with Michelin’s? P3 I think? The local Honda dealer seems to stock them and I’ve always favored Michelin’s for the cars.
 
ride4now_imp said:
Interesting that I found this so fast... I need tires on my 2014 DLX. After 7000 miles, the front is worn unevenly and shows signs of dry rot. The rear looks pretty good... go figure. Anyway it’s time for new tires. Does anyone have experience with Michelin’s? P3 I think? The local Honda dealer seems to stock them and I’ve always favored Michelin’s for the cars.
I don't think you'll be able to buy PR3s any longer. I just bought Pirelli Angel GTs (110 and 160), which for me looked like the best PR3 alternative here in the US.
 
My baby needs new shoes, too. OEM size is backordered everywhere, so I'm riding the Suzi more now. Back when I had the Kawi Nomad, I would go thru two rear tires to every one front tire.
 
Whoops_imp said:
So I called around and as previously stated, pretty much everyone refused to repair the tire. I did find one shop that said “bring it down and I will take a look at it”. Once I got there he said “Nope, can’t touch it. But go down to this other shop and ask for Chris. Tell him I sent you.”

Turns out Chris doesn’t give two craps about liability and was happy to try and plug it. It still has a slow leak though but he offered to try again if that happened. I will give him another crack at it and if nothing else it gets me by until the Bridgestone’s arrive.

Again, I learn that life is more often who you know rather than what you know. :dodgy:
Just to be clear, Chris took the tire off and put a mushroom T-patch in from the inside? Or did he try plugging from the outside only? I've not heard of an internal patch/plug failing.
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
Whoops_imp said:
So I called around and as previously stated, pretty much everyone refused to repair the tire. I did find one shop that said “bring it down and I will take a look at it”. Once I got there he said “Nope, can’t touch it. But go down to this other shop and ask for Chris. Tell him I sent you.”

Turns out Chris doesn’t give two craps about liability and was happy to try and plug it. It still has a slow leak though but he offered to try again if that happened. I will give him another crack at it and if nothing else it gets me by until the Bridgestone’s arrive.

Again, I learn that life is more often who you know rather than what you know. :dodgy:
Just to be clear, Chris took the tire off and put a mushroom T-patch in from the inside? Or did he try plugging from the outside only? I've not heard of an internal patch/plug failing.
Just to be clear, Chris took the tire off and put a mushroom T-patch in from the inside? Or did he try plugging from the outside only? I've not heard of an internal patch/plug failing.
He dismounted and did a plug from the inside. I haven’t checked it today to see if it lost any air though.
 
[/QUOTE]

He dismounted and did a plug from the inside. I haven’t checked it today to see if it lost any air though.
[/QUOTE]

My guess is that he drilled the hole in between the 2 small holes, which is what I would have done. The rubber would have shifted and tightened with the plug and should have sealed it, but the patch portion is the added extra. Let us know how it is holding up.
 
when I plug a tire I take a series of increasingly longer rides 10 mi, 30 mi, 50 mi etc, and check the pressure before and after each ride. If it doesn't lose pressure after those rides I consider it good to go, and never give it another thought until the tire is worn out. But if it doesn't hold air, I will replace the tire.
 
Thread starter
So it lost about 2 lbs psi overnight. I checked it and put it at 43 psi and the took it out for about 45 minutes today, all at 40 mph or less. I did check when I got back while it was still warm and it was at 43. I suspect after it cools back down though (it was cold on my preflight) it will have lost a bit.

Partzilla has bumped my tires shipping ETA twice now though so this slow leak might by just good enough to get me by until I take delivery of my new tires. I know there is usually a rush on attire and stuff like that in the spring, but with COVID messing with logistics it sure seems like it wouldn’t be a bad idea to keep an extra set on hand.
 
Hey Whoops: Also keep in mind pressure drops in the tire as temperature falls and vice versa without going anywhere. The difference is typically a few pounds, unless of course the temperature drops to below freezing.
 
If only there was a person who could have come up with an explanation and simple math formula that would explain pressure and temp and volume relationships. Hummmm
 
Back
Top