New / old bike

hotrodhornet_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I purchased a 2013 CB1100 yesterday with just 4 miles on it. The original owner bought it, had it delivered to his house intending to to take riding lessons but never did. I am in the process of cleaning the fuel tank,replacing the fuel pump assembly and changing all the fluids. After reading all the reviews on this bike and how much everyone loves their's I can't wait to ride it.
 
:hello: Howdy and welcome to the forum

Wow 4 miles. that must be some kind of record for a used bike. The previously low miles I saw on a bike that old was 40.
 
Congratulations on your find hotrodhornet, and welcome to the Forum!

I reckon based on the tank work you have planned that the fuel has gone real sour and gunked the tank innards up?

Any images of the tank inside to observe and appreciate?
 
Hotrodhornet, I envy you riding in the San Antonio area. I put a lot of miles on a new '76 KZ750 around there. The road to Bandera has been widened and straightened since then, but there are lots of great rides there. Have fun with that CB.
Oh, I almost forgot - welcome to the Forum. Keep is posted on the progress on your bike and post a few pictures when you get it going.
 
Thread starter


Trying to figure out how to post these pics from my phone. It only resizes them so much. I have to crop them also to get below the limit.
GoldOxide_imp said:
Congratulations on your find hotrodhornet, and welcome to the Forum!

I reckon based on the tank work you have planned that the fuel has gone real sour and gunked the tank innards up?

Any images of the tank inside to observe and appreciate?
Yes, the level sensor is virtually destroyed and I'm sure the pump is also . The tank itself doesn't look to bad besides needing to be cleaned.
The ferret_imp said:
:hello: Howdy and welcome to the forum

Wow 4 miles. that must be some kind of record for a used bike. The previously low miles I saw on a bike that old was 40.
The bike is legitimately new, the titties are still on the tires and there are no scratches or flaws anywhere on the bike besides the inside of the fuel tank.
I payed $2000. For it
 
Phosphoric Acid is the bee's knee's for rust in a fuel tank.

Dang, so much damage for just sitting. :(
 
Thread starter
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Hotrodhornet, I envy you riding in the San Antonio area. I put a lot of miles on a new '76 KZ750 around there. The road to Bandera has been widened and straightened since then, but there are lots of great rides there. Have fun with that CB.
Oh, I almost forgot - welcome to the Forum. Keep is posted on the progress on your bike and post a few pictures when you get it going.
Yes, I can't wait. Back in the early 90s I had a 1978 Honda 750k and like a idiot sold it way to cheap.
I had a great time riding that bike in the hill country.
I have some friends with bikes to ride with so it should be a blast.
 
hotrodhornet_imp said:
Trying to figure out how to post these pics from my phone. It only resizes them so much. I have to crop them also to get below the limit.
GoldOxide_imp said:
Congratulations on your find hotrodhornet, and welcome to the Forum!

I reckon based on the tank work you have planned that the fuel has gone real sour and gunked the tank innards up?

Any images of the tank inside to observe and appreciate?
Yes, the level sensor is virtually destroyed and I'm sure the pump is also . The tank itself doesn't look to bad besides needing to be cleaned.
The ferret_imp said:
:hello: Howdy and welcome to the forum

Wow 4 miles. that must be some kind of record for a used bike. The previously low miles I saw on a bike that old was 40.
The bike is legitimately new, the titties are still on the tires and there are no scratches or flaws anywhere on the bike besides the inside of the fuel tank.
I payed $2000. For it
The bike is legitimately new, the titties are still on the tires and there are no scratches or flaws anywhere on the bike besides the inside of the fuel tank.
I payed $2000. For it
4 miles and paid $2000...they both have to be records. But those inards...that photo should be blurred, much too graphic.

Hope you get 'er running tip-top real soon.
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
Be careful what you use to clean the tank. Just an accidental drop or two on the paint could ruin it.
So far it looks like I am going to try 30% vinegar. Some friends have used it and there is alot of info on the internet about it. I will still do everything I can to keep it off the paint.
 
Welcome hotrodhornet and congratulations on a remarkable find. Good luck cleaning the tank.
 
So far it looks like I am going to try 30% vinegar. Some friends have used it and there is alot of info on the internet about it. I will still do everything I can to keep it off the paint.
[/QUOTE]

After viewing multiple videos on the internet I tried using vinegar to remove the rust from the gas tank of a bike I was restoring. I filled the tank completely with vinegar and let it sit for two weeks (I even put loose nuts inside of it and shook it vigorously to break the rust loose first). Using this technique was a complete waste of time for me. I don't understand how those who posted the videos of the miraculous results obtained using vinegar achieved those results. The only thing the vinegar did was to eat the concrete surface of the floor of my garage where it leaked out of the tank and sat for two weeks. I ended up using a product called Evapo-Rust that did the trick. I used a high-pressure water sprayer to flush the tank clean. This particular tank was extremely rusted, as it had sat for over seven years.
 
"Lime scale and rust remover" is pretty handy on these type of tasks, and a very low impact on the environment.

Not sure if any side effects inside a fuel tank though.
 
Thread starter
Dave_imp said:
So far it looks like I am going to try 30% vinegar. Some friends have used it and there is alot of info on the internet about it. I will still do everything I can to keep it off the paint.

After viewing multiple videos on the internet I tried using vinegar to remove the rust from the gas tank of a bike I was restoring. I filled the tank completely with vinegar and let it sit for two weeks (I even put loose nuts inside of it and shook it vigorously to break the rust loose first). Using this technique was a complete waste of time for me. I don't understand how those who posted the videos of the miraculous results obtained using vinegar achieved those results. The only thing the vinegar did was to eat the concrete surface of the floor of my garage where it leaked out of the tank and sat for two weeks. I ended up using a product called Evapo-Rust that did the trick. I used a high-pressure water sprayer to flush the tank clean. This particular tank was extremely rusted, as it had sat for over seven years.
[/QUOTE]
After viewing multiple videos on the internet I tried using vinegar to remove the rust from the gas tank of a bike I was restoring. I filled the tank completely with vinegar and let it sit for two weeks (I even put loose nuts inside of it and shook it vigorously to break the rust loose first). Using this technique was a complete waste of time for me. I don't understand how those who posted the videos of the miraculous results obtained using vinegar achieved those results. The only thing the vinegar did was to eat the concrete surface of the floor of my garage where it leaked out of the tank and sat for two weeks. I ended up using a product called Evapo-Rust that did the trick. I used a high-pressure water sprayer to flush the tank clean. This particular tank was extremely rusted, as it had sat for over seven years.
[/QUOTE]
My tank does not appear to be rusted, it does have a nasty brown coating that seems to rub off. i will find out more when i get into it. I actuall ordered 45 % vinegar and am going to dilute it some.
 
Back
Top