New Goldwings arrived

I've got a 7-speed DCT in my sports car and it's fabulous. And rated faster 0-60 and 0-100 than the available 6-speed manual (not that I care, but others seem to).
 
with DCT you never kill the engine bcos not enough rmp , you have still enough power bcos you are still in the right gear...........with your little thump you have short your enginebrake........no tired clutchhand by stop and go traffic...

i make always a joke and say : my dealer must never change my brakepads/disc bcos i use so much so easy and fine the enginebrake.....:D :D :D :D (by my batman mobile)

and just you never change the gears that fast with a classic manual gearbox...never lack of power by switching the gears : it goes linear up..

bcos 7 gear DCT by the GW are the steps so soft from gear to gear..

.
.

DCT works great too by offroad at the africa- twin.....
.
.


btw the GW has too a enigne stop automatic if you stop on a redlight........and a brakehelp for start on a hill..





peterbaron

in german we have a saying:

what the farmer does not know this he dont eat
.
.
.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
I would not buy anything that has DCT. Standard or auto.

"The Gold Wing also received a 7-speed DCT automatic transmission" , really???
Source: Motor Cycle News
EmptySea_imp said:
why not, peterbaron?
Sea, as I said, I would not for myself.
Seen too many (different makes) replacements, repairs, harsh shifting, lurching, some of bad design backed by ECU updates with no or little improvements.., so had enough.
Also, you must learn to like DCT characteristics, which I don't.
For me, a bike must have standard tranny, I want to control the bike and be busy while riding it, so too many "help" gizmos are of no need for me.
This is not to discourage anyone from buying DCT if you like it, but before, test it extensively.
If I had to buy GW, due to option, I personally would a six-speed manual, not a DCT equipped with.
I wonder if GW service manual gives any safety tips of proper DCT operation or something like it?, chime in guys.
:)
 
peterbaron_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
I would not buy anything that has DCT. Standard or auto.

"The Gold Wing also received a 7-speed DCT automatic transmission" , really???
Source: Motor Cycle News
EmptySea_imp said:
why not, peterbaron?
Sea, as I said, I would not for myself.
Seen too many (different makes) replacements, repairs, harsh shifting, lurching, some of bad design backed by ECU updates with no or little improvements.., so had enough.
Also, you must learn to like DCT characteristics, which I don't.
For me, a bike must have standard tranny, I want to control the bike and be busy while riding it, so too many "help" gizmos are of no need for me.
This is not to discourage anyone from buying DCT if you like it, but before, test it extensively.
If I had to buy GW, due to option, I personally would a six-speed manual, not a DCT equipped with.
I wonder if GW service manual gives any safety tips of proper DCT operation or something like it?, chime in guys.
:)
EmptySea_imp said:
why not, peterbaron?
Sea, as I said, I would not for myself.
Seen too many (different makes) replacements, repairs, harsh shifting, lurching, some of bad design backed by ECU updates with no or little improvements.., so had enough.
Also, you must learn to like DCT characteristics, which I don't.
For me, a bike must have standard tranny, I want to control the bike and be busy while riding it, so too many "help" gizmos are of no need for me.
This is not to discourage anyone from buying DCT if you like it, but before, test it extensively.
If I had to buy GW, due to option, I personally would a six-speed manual, not a DCT equipped with.
I wonder if GW service manual gives any safety tips of proper DCT operation or something like it??
:)
The best of both worlds PB: The GW DCT and CB1100.

- - -

RE DCT lurching: (So far) I have not detected that behaviour. It is quite remarkable. Harsh shifting? Essentially the opposite, and even if manually aggressive using the override paddles, it is typically faster and smoother than an aggressive clutch shift equivalent.
 
I hear (and see on youtube) guys dissing DCT on the Goldwing - until they ride it.

They still and sell the manual transmission so some folks either don't test drive the DCT or they insist on manual. But the last I heard; they sell about 5 or 6 DCT's for every manual (dated info, and faulty memory so don't take that as hard and fast numbers! remember, you heard it on the Internet!). Considering what the Goldwing is, I think the Goldwing and DCT were made for each other.
 
Rboe: Your statistics are sensible. I have spoken to multiple Honda dealerships and the ratios of DCT to manual gearboxes sold is about 4 or 5 : 1.

It is not uncommon for a seasoned manual gearbox GW owner to buy a new manual gearbox GW, but test drive the DCT anyway. While the rider is gone for the test ride, the dealer fills out the purchase order for the DCT model.
 
alprider_imp said:
with DCT you never kill the engine bcos not enough rmp , you have still enough power bcos you are still in the right gear...........with your little thump you have short your enginebrake........no tired clutchhand by stop and go traffic...

i make always a joke and say : my dealer must never change my brakepads/disc bcos i use so much so easy and fine the enginebrake.....:D :D :D :D (by my batman mobile)

and just you never change the gears that fast with a classic manual gearbox...never lack of power by switching the gears : it goes linear up..

bcos 7 gear DCT by the GW are the steps so soft from gear to gear..

.
.

DCT works great too by offroad at the africa- twin.....
.
.


btw the GW has too a enigne stop automatic if you stop on a redlight........and a brakehelp for start on a hill..





peterbaron

in german we have a saying:

what the farmer does not know this he dont eat
.
.
.
alprider_imp said:
peter baron

you drove ever for longer testdrive a bike with DCT ?
Never have and ever will, I guess. Nice bike but kind of heavy for my size..
 
well well...i wrote DCT "bike" not GW....and without 1meter to drive you cant impossible serious judge about DCT....
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Rboe: Your statistics are sensible. I have spoken to multiple Honda dealerships and the ratios of DCT to manual gearboxes sold is about 4 or 5 : 1.

It is not uncommon for a seasoned manual gearbox GW owner to buy a new manual gearbox GW, but test drive the DCT anyway. While the rider is gone for the test ride, the dealer fills out the purchase order for the DCT model.

The Honda dealership where I have my CB and Goldwing serviced said the same as what GoldOxide stated...DCT’s outselling manuals 4:1. Seems like taking the shifting function away would take part of the “thrill and skill” away from riding. Razor rode his DCT to the rally. He raved about his.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
mtneers_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Rboe: Your statistics are sensible. I have spoken to multiple Honda dealerships and the ratios of DCT to manual gearboxes sold is about 4 or 5 : 1.

It is not uncommon for a seasoned manual gearbox GW owner to buy a new manual gearbox GW, but test drive the DCT anyway. While the rider is gone for the test ride, the dealer fills out the purchase order for the DCT model.

The Honda dealership where I have my CB and Goldwing serviced said the same as what GoldOxide stated...DCT’s outselling manuals 4:1. Seems like taking the shifting function away would take part of the “thrill and skill” away from riding. Razor rode his DCT to the rally. He raved about his.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The buyer would definitely have to take the "thrill and skill" into consideration, and I am sure buyers are. It would seem an obvious thing to do since it is different, and buyers are paying a premium for that difference.

Maybe buyers have other standards in their stable and adding a DCT GW expands the riding choice spectrum. Or maybe the buyer can no longer manage a clutch for physical limitation reasons. The other real consideration is simply the DCT allows the rider to focus on one less thing to enjoy the journey. Maybe all of the above and more.

If the owner does not use a fully automatic mode of the DCT, then they would use the manual shifter which requires them to feel the optimal shift point, similar to a traditional gearbox. Afterall, it is still clutch plates coming together.

Compared to the CB1100, the "thrill and skill" don't necessary go away. In my opinion, they move elsewhere in the case of manual shift override mode. I find more attention is spent on the situation surrounding you, and you can still make crappy and smooth shifts. In other cases, there is simply less mental fatigue, which can come useful from time-to-time.
 
From the reviews I've read and watched, the new Goldwing is fairly sporty (within reason - still a land barge); but for eating up the miles, an auto is really the way to go. Like the Great American West.

If you're going to order a Buick or Thunderbird to do some serious road miles and automatic is the way most folks will go (assuming for the moment the manufacture would even offer a manual - try finding a manual in a pickup on the lot, I dare you :) ). Even a grand touring car is going to an automatic.

Considering how automatics have taken over the car industry, for many motorcycle segments I bet manuals will go away too. We might be forced to go electric before all the gas bikes go auto.
 
And yet, in the UK, manual cars are more common than their automatic counterparts. Go figure.
 
Same in Germany. Germans seem to love to change gears manually. I heard about only 20% of the cars is automatic, the rest is manual.
 
The Prius has only an automatic planet gear box.
I like it. Would after this experience driving automatic cars for nearly 10 years now with the Prii of course drive one with an manual gear box, but luckily don't have to. I prefer automatic with cars, makes driving so much easier. Don't have to switch gears in the city from traffic light to traffic light again and again.

On the other hand I like switching gears with a motorbike. It's a whole different story and part of the joy riding it.

Wisedrum
 
Most of my car driving is urban and I prefer automatic for that. However, if you find yourself on a winding road, they’re not quite as good.
 
See nothing worth in the Prius automatic, even not on winding country roads. It works well wherever you drive. But it is a special automatic system not comparable to any other automatic on the market.

Wisedrum
 
Wisedrum_imp said:
The Prius has only an automatic planet gear box.
I like it. Would after this experience driving automatic cars for nearly 10 years now with the Prii of course drive one with an manual gear box, but luckily don't have to. I prefer automatic with cars, makes driving so much easier. Don't have to switch gears in the city from traffic light to traffic light again and again.

On the other hand I like switching gears with a motorbike. It's a whole different story and part of the joy riding it.

Wisedrum
(+1)
 
Back
Top