new bike to the stable

gtmn_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
sold my ctx1300 and added a 16 vfr1200x
i couldn't help my self
a guy should never take 2 days away from work
 
I love the idea of that bike, but like Birds, I can only reach the ground on one side. very cool.
 
Thread starter
ok so just went over 1100 miles
really big bike
really strong bike
i need some help from you guys
i cant seem to keep the front wheel on the ground its a really good thing its got traction control
all the press about how bad the tc and abs is is crap, its keeping meatheads like me from flipping it over
all in. i think its a great bike
really and i mean really good 2 up
power is everywhere. not sportbike power just really strong torque
the bad is some drivline lash and the throttle is really bad
cb is steller and vfr not so much
i am getting used to it now but still not great
when you come on the gas there is alot of power and it make for a really jerky ride till you get it down
the bike gets better every ride and i get better with it
this bike will never see off road so cant wait to put real tires on it
oh ya the wife likes it better then the ctx so i win
ya it could be a little closer to the ground
i think a touring bike like the ctx or a new st with this motor would be a really good move for honda
its really good
 
I really want to ride one, but the dealership I work at ordered none. Can't say I blame them as there have been zero inquiries on them. I think the ADV market is moving in two directions. Lighter is righter and Powerful Pigs. The latter group seems to need 150+ hp and every electronic gizmo possible to be taken seriously. That sort of leaves this bike in the middle, which is a shame.
 
I don't understand why Honda has not made this bike into a replacement for the ST 1300. Lower it, give it a bit more weather protection, cruise control and some nice detachable luggage like the ST 1300 and voila, up to date sport tourer. It has so much going for it.
 
I think it has to do with market research. ADV is the hot category. I read a review of this bike that said Honda sees two ADV segments: hardcore true offroad (Africa Twin) and street-based image (VFR1200X).

I recall reading somewhere that the ADV is the new sport tourer, implying that sport tourers are a dying category.
 
Yamaha still updates their fine FJR1300 on a regular basis, BMW has their RT1200, Triumph the Sprint and Kawasaki still sells the Concours.
 
I like the BMW K1600 but that price...

If I had to replace my ST1300 (and couldn't get another one) I would be looking at either the FJR1300 or one of the K1600 models, price be darned.
 
Love the Honda V4 power plant and join the crowd wishing it was available in a sport tourer. The Adventure bike fad should be close to being replaced soon. Wonder if Honda will come out with a retro scrambler style bike?
An updated ST would be a strong temptation for me.
 
The VFR 1200 was a sports tourer, sold here in the US for over 5 years, it died in the market, being overpriced. They merely made the X version to try and grab some of this exploding ADV market segment. You can buy a slightly used VFR 1200 for well under $10k now, a major bargain.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
gtmn_imp said:
ok so just went over 1100 miles
really big bike
really strong bike
i need some help from you guys
i cant seem to keep the front wheel on the ground its a really good thing its got traction control
all the press about how bad the tc and abs is is crap, its keeping meatheads like me from flipping it over
all in. i think its a great bike
really and i mean really good 2 up
power is everywhere. not sportbike power just really strong torque
the bad is some drivline lash and the throttle is really bad
cb is steller and vfr not so much
i am getting used to it now but still not great
when you come on the gas there is alot of power and it make for a really jerky ride till you get it down
the bike gets better every ride and i get better with it
this bike will never see off road so cant wait to put real tires on it
oh ya the wife likes it better then the ctx so i win
ya it could be a little closer to the ground
i think a touring bike like the ctx or a new st with this motor would be a really good move for honda
its really good
RE: The driveline lash -- check the throttle cables for too much play. If you can adjust them to have minimal play it will help a lot.
 
It's heavy but I like it. The motor is really Nice. Comfy for long rides. I got used to the throttle on my 919 by not closing it all the way. I just eased it on and eased it off. Triumph Bonnevilles and so many other fuel injected bikes have the same issue to pass Euro/Japan/California emissions laws. It's interesting what Honda was thinking with the CTX1300 and now the VFR1200X as they are not selling like hotcakes. But both are nice machines nonetheless.
 
Capo_imp said:
The VFR 1200 was a sports tourer, sold here in the US for over 5 years, it died in the market, being overpriced. They merely made the X version to try and grab some of this exploding ADV market segment. You can buy a slightly used VFR 1200 for well under $10k now, a major bargain.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really like that bike. Very expensive when new. By the time I became interested, the prices of new leftovers were more reasonable. The deal killer for me was the short range on a tank of fuel. Kind of put a crimp in the touring part of sport touring. But what a gorgeous machine it is.

03eb2de8a4ba2981bb6e3f5817170068.jpg
 
To me the VFR was never a real ST bike. It needed a bit more "DNA" from the ST1300 like an upright riding position, electric screen and standard luggage.
 
I loved the look of the VFR but the instrument panel looked like Mattel designed it and the ergo's didn't suit me. Bikes like the Africa Twin, visually don't appeal to me as much (especially compared the CB1100) but I fit them much better. I find the VFR-X attractive; but the weight is scary. The Africa Twin makes more sense.

A 650-750 version that was lighter than the Africa Twin would be ideal (the CB500X is a tad too small in the frame for me - in an ideal world).

I don't think the Adventure market has jumped the shark yet.
 
Back
Top