new bike to the stable

I don't really follow trends and had no idea that Adv bikes were the next big thing (Harley is still king around here) and had never even sat on one until I read this thread and stopped at my local Honda shop and sat an the new Africa Twin (I went to see the 2017 CB1100EX - don't ask). I never considered one as if I want to ride dirt I have a dirt bike, street - street bike but I can see the utility of one with road tires for street touring.

The ergonomics were quite good and the riding position is what I was looking for when I bought the CB1100, but the aesthetics of Adv bikes just don't appeal to me.
 
You won't alienate me -- I couldn't agree more.

I see lots of ADV posers here who think it's cool to stand on their pegs on the freeway at 80 mph. I don't get it.
 
I test rode a VFR1200DCT in 2014, it was glorious. Even the DCT. I didn't think I would use it, but it was so intuitive and easy to use I found myself clicking out of "drive" and using the finger controls almost immediately. Anyway, I tried to buy it (at $6k with 4,000 miles?!?), but I got beat to the punch by the guy in front of me. Anyway to make a long story short, while I love sport(ish) bikes, I don't love the position anymore. Too many stupid things in my youth I suppose. Anyway, I would totally buy the Crosstourer if there were used (and cheap) ones on the market. What's not to like? All the big power, technology, and performance from the VFR1200 with a upright position, some suspension travel, and a stout subframe ready to hold my gear? Heck yeah!
 
Thread starter
how bout this as an st1300 replacement using the vfr1200 motor
its to be a poss vfr1200t
it would be real nice
also dont knock the adv bikes till ya try them
if you can handle the height you would love to ride these adv bikes
even though they will never see off road for many guys
no perfect all around bike for everybody
my 2014 vstrom 1000 was a great touring bike,
also really good 2 up
for me i dont know why they class them as adv but i suppose they have to put it in a class or never sell them because we cant think out of the box
i would put street tires on them and class them as sport touring. as that is all that is going to happen with 85% of them anyway
 
I could live with that Gtmn. But want electric windshield, ride by wire with modes, and cruise control. And a 6 speeds. I'll add Heli bar risers for some setback.
 
Sold my 2006 R1200GS for more than enough to buy the CB1100, gotta love the ADV bike craze. Only bike I miss is my ST1100, over 90,000 trouble free miles on it.
Sport touring bikes are where my heart is. At my age I need them low enough to almost flat foot and light enough (maybe) to maneuver in a parking lot or garage. Big reason I tried a sidecar rig, my future.
 
Broken record time: I wish they made a V4 like the mid-80s Sabre. Strong V4, (1200cc would do just fine) upright seating and shaft drive. Add the hard luggage option and with Honda build quality it would compete nicely in the large (not huge) displacement touring category. I know development $ are precious. But c'mon Honda, instead we get the NM4?
 
4 Paws_imp said:
Sold my 2006 R1200GS for more than enough to buy the CB1100, gotta love the ADV bike craze. Only bike I miss is my ST1100, over 90,000 trouble free miles on it.
Sport touring bikes are where my heart is. At my age I need them low enough to almost flat foot and light enough (maybe) to maneuver in a parking lot or garage. Big reason I tried a sidecar rig, my future.
Cue F800GT...

 
Good job Futter... er, Stichill. 90 hp, 450 lbs, locking integrated luggage, ABS, electronically adjustable rear suspension damping, belt drive, 3-year warranty... What's not to like?
 
The ST1300 is still selling well in England and Europe (as the Pan European), a much, much larger market than the US. A fully faired VFR12 would only steal from their sales. The number of VFR12s in any form sold in the US are very small, but the NM4 sells out easily and in far greater numbers.

My complaint with the DCT on this, the Africa twin, and the NC700X have only to do with very low speeds, like splitting lanes. The loss of the ability to feather the clutch means you are modulating speed with the rear brake. Not too bad unless you're switching between bikes.
 
The 1200X is 628lbs wet and a lot of that is up high. One at a dealer was on a SLIGHT hill to the left. I could not lift it to save my life. I really like it but I'd have to go for the Africa Twin ...although my Instagram and Youtube buddy Schaaf just totaled one off the side of a mountain in Austria because that front tire is so slim. He rides fast but still...
If I had the money and I weren't 160 lbs soaking wet, I'd buy a 1200X.
 
Thread starter
as a reminder this is a 2up rig for me and thats why i bought it and for that it is superb
no goldwing in my future and no harleys and absolutley no bmws in my future, all likely good bikes that many will be happy with just not in my world so with that said there isnt alot of Touring bikes that i would ride
this bike fits the need
and also is super fun when i take for 1up rides
i really liked the AT but didnt think 2up would be as good
or i could have got another vstrom 1000 as they give them away, i have alot of parts here for one of those just begging to be put on
if i want to go faster i can use my buddies tounno factory, thats just not and own bike for me
i am more of a cb1100 guy and thats why we are all here
 
Thread starter
vstrom likely fits better at my size
it really is a great bike
i was fighting with suzuki to fix a computer update so that you could ride it at slow speed and finely
just traded it in on my beloved cb
the honda has a bit larger and more substantial presence on the road, it really is big
for guys that never really looked at the 1200 the motor itself is smaller and lighter then the vfr800 motor according to honda
so you would think honda would us it in other bikes or a sport side by side would be awesome
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Good job Futter... er, Stichill. 90 hp, 450 lbs, locking integrated luggage, ABS, electronically adjustable rear suspension damping, belt drive, 3-year warranty... What's not to like?
The price, at around $15k
 
Yep, new, they're priced like BMW's. I'd argue a new leftover '15 VFR800 for $8000 is a better deal. But you can find used '15 F800GT's for about the same price as that VFR. They're both nice bikes, but different.
 
I would like to ride a F800GT for a bit to see how nice it is, and to see how they compare, but I will tell you I love my ST1300 and would buy another in a heartbeat if Honda still sold them and upgraded them a little bit... Cruise control, 6 speed trans, heated grips, digital gear indicator.
 
Back
Top