Need help ! Center stand installation

enterlance_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi guys, I recently bought my Cb, but the previous owner removed the center stand for some reason. Since I plan to do all the regular maintenance myself so I want to put it back...

Is there an instruction of how to do it?
 
I don't know how to do it (don't even have a CB1100 at this point) but perhaps looking at an exploded parts diagram on one of the major OEM parts sellers like bikebandit.com would help show how it goes together.
 
Have you purchased a shop manual for it yet? You have the '14 standard and it's spelled out on pages 2-23 and 2-24.

In summary, it says to remove the muffler guard, remove the main spring, remove the sub spring and then remove the spring plate. Remove the pivot pipe while holding the centerstand, then remove the centerstand from the frame.

In your case, it goes on to say that installation is in the reverse order.

Take note to install the springs with the large hook side facing up. Apply grease to the pivot pipe and replace the pivot pipe mounting bolt with a new one. Torque the mounting bolt to 9 ft-lbs.

Lastly, make sure it retracts smoothly.
 
I haven't done it. But in the manual, it is a one page job.

Abreviated removal
Depending on year, support the motorcycle on a stand or something
Remove the muffler guard
Remove centerstand main spring and sub spring, then spring plate.
Remove pivot pipe mounting bolt.
Remove the pipe while holding the centerstand.

Installation is the reverse of removal. Members here have said the worst part is putting the springs back on. Most likely all the bad words you know will be used in that effort. Keep children at bay... :)

If you need the page from the manual, PM me. I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Looks like Stateboy and I are typing at the same time and he hit post first!! I'm going to bed :)
 
Putting the center stand spring on was discussed on the CB500X Forum. The easiest way is the following.
Place the hook of the spring on the center stand.
Place a medium sized Phillips screwdriver through the hook on the other end of the spring.
I greased shaft of my screwdriver.
Lift the stand up, and place the tip of the screwdriver on the frame tab.
Lift the screwdriver handle up and the spring will slide down the shaft onto the frame tab.

There were lots of other suggestions, but this worked first time for me.
 
enterlance, somewhere on this forum there's a discussion about how to put the centre stand on. I'm prepared to try to find it, but only if these instructions let you down. The screwdriver trick sounds familiar.
 
It's probably because your aftermarket exhaust didnt come with the correct center-stand bracket.

The 2014 has a different bracket than the 2013, and specifically for us 2014 owners with the 2013 Yoshi RS3 slip-on, the center-stand bracket has to be removed unless you order the specific 2014 center-stand bracket from Yoshi via phone. I'm not familiar with the exhaust system you have but I imagine it's similar.

The reason why we put the 2013 Yoshi RS3 on the 2014 is because for some odd reason Yoshi baffled the 2014 muffler.
 
Updated from my original post:

Try this, no tools needed:

Be sure the bike is in gear, and/or put a bungee cord around front brake lever so it will not roll. You'll be laying on the ground on the right side of the bike.

Hook the springs to the frame and stand FIRST, with the stand more or less horizontal. (On a 2014, the"C" hooks to the frame first).

Insert the pin into the right side on a 2013, (on a 2014, either side) just enough to engage the stand. This becomes the pivot point.

Now you can grab the stand itself as a lever and push/pull it to align the left side, and push the shaft through. The stand becomes the "handle" and provides all the leverage needed.

If you have an aftermarket exhaust, the center stand may not fit. Try it without the springs first.

I figure this out after years of attaching the stand first, then struggling with the spring. This works on almost all bikes. Some bikes use 2 separate bolts - attach the side closest to the spring.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Updated from my original post:

Try this, no tools needed:

Be sure the bike is in gear, and/or put a bungee cord around front brake lever so it will not roll. You'll be laying on the ground on the right side of the bike.

Hook the springs to the frame and stand FIRST, with the stand more or less horizontal. (On a 2014, the"C" hooks to the frame first).

Insert the pin into the right side on a 2013, (on a 2014, either side) just enough to engage the stand. This becomes the pivot point.

Now you can grab the stand itself as a lever and push/pull it to align the left side, and push the shaft through. The stand becomes the "handle" and provides all the leverage needed.

If you have an aftermarket exhaust, the center stand may not fit. Try it without the springs first.

I figure this out after years of attaching the stand first, then struggling with the spring. This works on almost all bikes. Some bikes use 2 separate bolts - attach the side closest to the spring.
I concur.... I've done this on loads of bikes and it's a winner. It's a bit of a hairy chested manoeuvre but the stand can take it. Also, I have a '14 and if your aftermarket exhaust doesn't have a bracket welded to it for the stand to butt up to then your centre stand may crash into you exhaust when you push it off. Not nice...
 
I took my stand off because I just don't like the looks of it (that's the 70's in me) and the slip-on has no stop, but I use it when i change oil or tires. I put it on without the spring, perform maintenance and take it back off.
 
enterlance_imp said:
exhaust is Staintune. I don't know if there would be a problem of the bracket, but let's see...
The Staintune comes with an integral, welded-on, centre-stand stop...as do most slip-ons specifically made for the CB1100...so, there should not be any problem with a stock centre-stand.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Updated from my original post:

Try this, no tools needed:

Be sure the bike is in gear, and/or put a bungee cord around front brake lever so it will not roll. You'll be laying on the ground on the right side of the bike.

Hook the springs to the frame and stand FIRST, with the stand more or less horizontal. (On a 2014, the"C" hooks to the frame first).

Insert the pin into the right side on a 2013, (on a 2014, either side) just enough to engage the stand. This becomes the pivot point.

Now you can grab the stand itself as a lever and push/pull it to align the left side, and push the shaft through. The stand becomes the "handle" and provides all the leverage needed.

If you have an aftermarket exhaust, the center stand may not fit. Try it without the springs first.

I figure this out after years of attaching the stand first, then struggling with the spring. This works on almost all bikes. Some bikes use 2 separate bolts - attach the side closest to the spring.
Thank you for this, it is what worked. I still needed to use a screw driver for some leverage. Took me a bit, but I got it, with out and cuss words!! Now, the Yosh center stand bracket, that was a pain in the @XX, I did end up cussing that thing. Eventually got it, but it was a fight.
Happy to have the center stand on so I will be able to properly service the bike in the spring.
 
Back
Top