My probable design for my new gas tank-

PowerDubs_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Something like this. Thoughts?

d715573be57459a7149c4fd0e8c72223.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Looks good. Maybe get the chrome ring around the headlight bucket painted that old gold / brownish color as well?
 
Your bike is one of the coolest CB1100's out there, 'Dubs. I love the looks of it!

Re: the tank decoration concept. What aesthetic are you going for with it? It looks tasteful, but somehow the plain black tank already seems perfect. Maybe I would say just the retro HONDA lettering and call it done?
 
Thread starter
Idea came from a CB360 actually- but I can see the GB vibe as well.

I like the early 80’s CB custom look, but don’t want painted wings, and nobody makes nice accurate metal wing reproductions that I can find.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Yea I can see a little CB 350 or CM 400 in there too
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Well- that's not my bike- just a google image to have a rough idea.

Here is my bike as it sits now-


e8b0ef1f9cd4d360a521d75a257d1d34.jpg


818d4a54a4510443a0b75d965a513b15.jpg


7c6808ddfb38ff78651d4abbe6cec630.jpg

Great looking bike that. If you do go for a paint job I would definitely keep it minimal, and darker colours, maybe gold against the black, such a cool bike as it is.
 
I like your plan Dubs.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
427031101d6361deb2515a9072a86c5f.jpg


bba6e42416a5a094daa6bca14f43575c.jpg

28e4993f0b9046c05a639f2cc4543bf9.jpg

c01de693b0195a7a0c9139f6c8dfb3fd.jpg

00a4aba8e4920c918747eacc891959b7.jpg

8bdde10a9e9f811d60554fcebba0931c.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like these tank designs. Oh how these pictures bring back memories! I would have purchased the red, 1976 CB750F shown, but they were out of red at the time. I am "still" the proud owner of a yellow, 1976 CB750F, that I bought instead of the red.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Something like this. Thoughts?

d715573be57459a7149c4fd0e8c72223.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind of reminds me of what I was going for with my CB750 but to a modern CB. I went hotrod black with yellow/gold striping and the center was glossy black. I like where you're going with this.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Reminds me of the GB 500
My thoughts exactly.

PD - If I were going to do a different color with you getting a new tank, I'd go with the classic 70's 750K/F schemes. But then it's been done before, I'm sure

I've always been a big fan of the stock tank outlining on the older XS750 triples(standard) but then again it's not Honda heritage

e493892d527067460af64bf677181b88.jpg


Whichever color you decide to go with, will come out great I'm sure since you have an eye for a classic yet timeless scheme on your bike :thumbsup:
 
E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Reminds me of the GB 500
My thoughts exactly.

PD - If I were going to do a different color with you getting a new tank, I'd go with the classic 70's 750K/F schemes. But then it's been done before, I'm sure

I've always been a big fan of the stock tank outlining on the older XS750 triples(standard) but then again it's not Honda heritage

e493892d527067460af64bf677181b88.jpg


Whichever color you decide to go with, will come out great I'm sure since you have an eye for a classic yet timeless scheme on your bike :thumbsup:
My thoughts exactly.

PD - If I were going to do a different color with you getting a new tank, I'd go with the classic 70's 750K/F schemes. But then it's been done before, I'm sure

I've always been a big fan of the stock tank outlining on the older XS750 triples(standard) but then again it's not Honda heritage

feb308b489a9a016f7eee1f33dd792ed.jpg


Whichever color you decide to go with, will come out great I'm sure since you have an eye for a classic yet timeless scheme on your bike :thumbsup:
Still brings back fond memories. :thumbsup:
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Something like this. Thoughts?

d715573be57459a7149c4fd0e8c72223.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK, I now have a final opinion, after days of pensive reflection. :P

My aesthetic Spidey senses were tingling a tiny alarm, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Now I know what it is.

Your bike is, essentially, racey-looking. It looks like all business, no fooling around, no time for pomp and fluff.

The pictured design is an embellishment; classic and conservative, almost dignified.

I don't they go together...I think each would detract from the other and make the whole, less.
 
15e07c47ad7d6c03bd93967067bf3623.jpg


Stichill_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Something like this. Thoughts?

d715573be57459a7149c4fd0e8c72223.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK, I now have a final opinion, after days of pensive reflection. :P

My aesthetic Spidey senses were tingling a tiny alarm, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Now I know what it is.

Your bike is, essentially, racey-looking. It looks like all business, no fooling around, no time for pomp and fluff.

The pictured design is an embellishment; classic and conservative, almost dignified.

I don't they go together...I think each would detract from the other and make the whole, less.
This image - again it haunts me - Hank gets it.
 
Thread starter
Stichill_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Something like this. Thoughts?

d715573be57459a7149c4fd0e8c72223.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK, I now have a final opinion, after days of pensive reflection. :P

My aesthetic Spidey senses were tingling a tiny alarm, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Now I know what it is.

Your bike is, essentially, racey-looking. It looks like all business, no fooling around, no time for pomp and fluff.

The pictured design is an embellishment; classic and conservative, almost dignified.

I don't they go together...I think each would detract from the other and make the whole, less.

The only thing I can think of on my bike that has any sort of 'racey' lines is the tank shape, and the staintune.

The tank will be switched to a DLX / EX which should look more traditional, and I am most likely going to put a Moriwaki exhaust on it- just undecided if I want the 4-4 or the 4-2 megaphones.
 
Back
Top