Moving a bike in tight quarters - Centerstand dolly

pekingduck

Road warrior
Thread starter
From another thread, several people have commented about the difficulty of turning a bike around in tight quarters, or putting it on the centerstand. This is a 2-part problem, and I'll first look at maneuvering in tight quarters.

I always park my bike on the centerstand, and a couple of them are where space is at a premium, with a door that only opens to 32", so it's fairly easy to ride it in, but hard to back it out. So I use centerstand dollies to turn them around once inside.

I first park the bike on the sidestand, slide the dolly into position with my right foot, straighten the bike up, and lift the bike up with the centerstand atop the dolly. Then I can slide it sideways, or if I push down on the back of the seat or rack, spin it around easily. You can find Venom motorcycle dollies on Amazon for $65.

I can park bikes closer, putting 3 in the space of 2. They do make it a little harder to put the bike up on the centerstand, but there is an easy cure for that.

I also use sidestand dollies, like the one from Harbor Freight. They are easier to roll on and off, are really well thought out and made, but take up a little more room when not in use. About $100 or less, (don't forget the 20% off coupons).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The second issue of difficulty putting the bike up on the centerstand can be eased by reducing the height you have to lift it. On my Triumph Bonneville, there was a 2" gap under the rear tire. I installed the 1" longer Thruxton shocks, and now the centerstand is effortless, it just rolls on up (and steers better too). But without having to resort to longer shocks/taller tires, you can just use a thick piece of board or equivalent under front or rear tire.

Most of us with garages have a set area a certain bike lives. If the rear tire has a 2" gap under it when on the centerstand, having a 1"-1-1/2" thick board or plywood square where the front wheel will be rolled onto will greatly lessen the effort needed.
 
Thanks for this. Though I don't need the dolly, the tip about putting a block under the wheel is sweet. I have never been able to get this bike onto the center stand without help. I am just not heavy enough to get it moving.
 
That's interesting, Bob. I'm not much heavier than you and I only have trouble when it's fully laden.
 
Thread starter
Any modifications such as lower-profile tires, shorter shocks, or fork tubes slid up in the triple clamps will make it harder. So will uneven ground where the centerstand is at a higher point than the wheels.
 
Many different solutions are good and make us happy.
I use this one, which already helped me move my bike from a tight spot, while still winterizing, quick and effective, 1,100+ lbs weight capacity.

424162ac13b98386650690be97b63278.jpg
 
Quote: Inhouse Bob: Thanks for this. Though I don't need the dolly, the tip about putting a block under the wheel is sweet. I have never been able to get this bike onto the center stand without help. I am just not heavy enough to get it moving.
It's all in the technique Bob, it's more pushing down with your foot that it is lifting the bike.
 
Thread starter
Ack-CB11_imp said:
I gave up on those after I found these.

Amazing.........

Wow, that's pretty interesting, with those omni-directional wheels. A great solution for sidestand-only bikes. A bit pricey at $540, though I wonder if they could have had almost the same results using less expensive regular casters. Hmmm.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Many different solutions are good and make us happy.
I use this one, which already helped me move my bike from a tight spot, while still winterizing, quick and effective, 1,100+ lbs weight capacity.

424162ac13b98386650690be97b63278.jpg



Peter- that looks VERY sturdy and well built.

Can you give us more info on who / what / where?

Thanks!
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Many different solutions are good and make us happy.
I use this one, which already helped me move my bike from a tight spot, while still winterizing, quick and effective, 1,100+ lbs weight capacity.

424162ac13b98386650690be97b63278.jpg



Peter- that looks VERY sturdy and well built.

Can you give us more info on who / what / where?

Thanks!
Peter- that looks VERY sturdy and well built.

Can you give us more info on who / what / where?

Thanks!
Josh, I am extremely happy with those two, for my STD and DLX.
Make sure you ask for 1,100+ lbs weight capacity, as there is a cheeper/skinnier one of 500lbs = not good for our CB.
These won't collapse, including the CB and a rider together.
Very smooth operation across my epoxy garage floor.
Once, I came to an ugly total lock up situation when in hurry the centre stand got entangled with the dolly and needed three people to resolve the sticky issue.

853722c84446d67d0914bf01ee8094bb.jpg


8defb533dfce3bf97cb7a2b0ae3e3f39.jpg


7bc942a4c243ee9e96d04bd6834c2b87.jpg


Since then, one has anti skidding rails installed across the dolly and the other one already came with an anti skidding rough application.

9a828c969f22d1f41b078d9a20ee8a2a.jpg


Both were made in Canada :D....
Both came from Twisted Throttle, Canada and US.
Paid C$300-350 S&H included.

https://admorelighting.com/product/park-n-move/

Park-n-Move Wheeled Dolly


AdMore Park-N-Move Motorcycle Product Review | Motorcycle Mojo

Lord Popgun may chime in as he got one from the US
 
Glad I asked- as I would not have thought about that- but scrolling back up to the venom above I can see it has a lip- and diamond plate.

I just checked out the website and they haven't addressed that problem yet- so despite the otherwise apparent sturdiness- for the cost they charge, and locking wheels- deficiencies are not acceptable.

I know I *could* fix it- but for that price? Nope.

Thanks for the info!
 
I saw a guy in a crowded bike parking area tilt his sportbike onto the sidestand and pivot it 180 degrees, mount up and ride away. He was a big guy on a small bike and made it look easy.
When I stuffed my CB into a POD, I put it on the side stand, shoved a wheel chock into place and jammed a wooden wedge under the rear wheel and lashed it down to the D-rings in the POD. During transit, things shifted and it took two of us, my son and me, with a lot of colorful expletives, to get the bike out of the POD but we did it. I had planned to rent a U-Haul to trailer my Suzi and the Honda to TX, but the cost of renting a trailer one way to another state was too much.
 
I've seen guys do the side stand pivot on lightweight dirt bikes, and the tilt is handy on my little 300 to lift the rear wheel to rotate for chain lubing, but not sure I'd want to try it with an 1100. I can just picture it leaning over too far and hitting my car in the garage.

Of course, I would instinctively dive between the bike and the car to let my body absorb whatever damage would be inflicted on both vehicles.
 
PB, I think I got mine from Admore lighting. Haven't done your mod to it yet. Have to get busy on that.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
PB, I think I got mine from Admore lighting. Haven't done your mod to it yet. Have to get busy on that.
OMG, MiLord >>> Haven't done your mod to it yet. Have to get busy on that.
.. you need to take a couple of days off work to finish this project :)

The second one I have for my DLX, doesn't have rails across at all, I installed emery cloth sandpaper = works flawlessly
 
Maybe this weekend PB. Being a .gov employee we have Friday off (Veterans Day) and I’m taking Monday as a vacation day. So 4 days to either do it, or think about doing it :)
 
....which is funny... the gov will pay all its completely NON-veteran's to have off while the vast majority of us ACTUALLY GAVE YEARS OF OUR LIVES true vets- are still working that day.

Such disingenuous B.S.
 
At least everyone I work with (and me) is a veteran. Heck, I even had to go ride the Nimitz a couple weeks ago. And yes, I was working—12 on 12 off.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
....which is funny... the gov will pay all its completely NON-veteran's to have off while the vast majority of us ACTUALLY GAVE YEARS OF OUR LIVES true vets- are still working that day.

Such disingenuous B.S.
I wish the motive could be simple and disassociate the government and banks from a paid day of remembrance crap. All persons can take the day and reflect on ultimate sacrifice, no matter which generation, war and duty.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Maybe this weekend PB. Being a .gov employee we have Friday off (Veterans Day) and I’m taking Monday as a vacation day. So 4 days to either do it, or think about doing it :)
MiLord, forum members would like to see a photo proving job completion..5 days = plenty of time :)
5e128b40c40db45b6f0128d11125f6ab.gif
 
Back
Top