Michelin Pilot Road 3s...I joined the club

Thread starter
Got my new PR3s put on this morning, just under 11,000 on the ones I replaced and they actually still looked pretty good, but wasn't sure they would go to Ark, ride around in Ark for a week, and then ride back home ...probably 2,000 miles total. Front would have made it for sure, just not sure about the rear, so a new set went on. Now no worries.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Got my new PR3s put on this morning, just under 11,000 on the ones I replaced and they actually still looked pretty good, but wasn't sure they would go to Ark, ride around in Ark for a week, and then ride back home ...probably 2,000 miles total. Front would have made it for sure, just not sure about the rear, so a new set went on. Now no worries.
Good call :thumbsup: I once took off on a long road trip with a rear tire that I thought would probably make it. After 1K miles it was clear that I was wrong. I wasted a full day of vacation riding from town to town trying to find a shop that had a tire that would fit, and could also mount it right away. I'll never make that mistake again.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Got my new PR3s put on this morning, just under 11,000 on the ones I replaced and they actually still looked pretty good, but wasn't sure they would go to Ark, ride around in Ark for a week, and then ride back home ...probably 2,000 miles total. Front would have made it for sure, just not sure about the rear, so a new set went on. Now no worries.
Hey Mr Ferret. I noticed you just got another set of PR3s and was wondering if you had considered the PR4s? ** I had followed your lead, and last Sept I bought the PR3s. Love these tires. I've got 8K on them now. The front looks like new, the rear looks very good. Problem is that I have nail thingy in my rear tire and dealership says they can only replace tire cause of legal reasons.
 
Thread starter
I have PR4GTs on my ST 1300 (on my 3rd or 4th set) but the PR4's don't come in our sizes do they?

I really like the PR3s on the CB, and we put tires to some real testing in Ark last week. Stick great, wear great.

Nail stink. I had to put 2 PR4GT's on the ST last year that got nails in them with low miles on them. I haven't had much luck plugging the PR4s. Plugged a lot of tires in my life with no issues, but these I just can't get them to quit leaking air around the plugs for some reason.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I have PR4GTs on my ST 1300 (on my 3rd or 4th set) but the PR4's don't come in our sizes do they?

I really like the PR3s on the CB, and we put tires to some real testing in Ark last week. Stick great, wear great.

Nail stink. I had to put 2 PR4GT's on the ST last year that got nails in them with low miles on them. I haven't had much luck plugging the PR4s. Plugged a lot of tires in my life with no issues, but these I just can't get them to quit leaking air around the plugs for some reason.
Your correct. PR4 has nothing for rear. Darn ... I really love these PR3's that you guys turned me on to. Anyway, my local motorcycle tire store (C&D) ordered a PR3 replacement rear tire but said PR3's are limited to whats available in store rooms because not made anymore. I will have to stay tuned to the CB1100 Forum for what my next set of tires will be. Thanks.
 
Thread starter
Boy I hope they are wrong about PR 3s not being made anymore. Not sure what I would choose as a replacement.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I have PR4GTs on my ST 1300 (on my 3rd or 4th set) but the PR4's don't come in our sizes do they?

I really like the PR3s on the CB, and we put tires to some real testing in Ark last week. Stick great, wear great.

Nail stink. I had to put 2 PR4GT's on the ST last year that got nails in them with low miles on them. I haven't had much luck plugging the PR4s. Plugged a lot of tires in my life with no issues, but these I just can't get them to quit leaking air around the plugs for some reason.
I've had good luck with the Stop & Go system, but have not tried on a PR4.
 
That is very sad news.
 
Stichill_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I have PR4GTs on my ST 1300 (on my 3rd or 4th set) but the PR4's don't come in our sizes do they?

I really like the PR3s on the CB, and we put tires to some real testing in Ark last week. Stick great, wear great.

Nail stink. I had to put 2 PR4GT's on the ST last year that got nails in them with low miles on them. I haven't had much luck plugging the PR4s. Plugged a lot of tires in my life with no issues, but these I just can't get them to quit leaking air around the plugs for some reason.
I've had good luck with the Stop & Go system, but have not tried on a PR4.

I've had good luck with the [url=https://www.stopngo.com/motorcycles/]Stop & Go system, but have not tried on a PR4.
I've had better luck with the "sticky rope" plugs from Napa and they're cheap.
 
Bought replacement Pilot Road 3 for rear two weeks ago (had nail in tire). Front still had another 1000mi left on it, but decided to check online inventories. OMG. Could only find 1 Pilot Road 3 110/80-18 front tire (was on Amazon), so I ordered it. So now I should be ok for the next year, which gives our forum leaders/gurus time to figure what my next brand/size will be.
 
Looked in my Honda Owners Manual for tire recommendations for the 2017 CB1100 CA (EX) and CB1100 NA (RS) models.

The recommended EX tire is the Dunlop 205 which is the Sportmax Touring tires that are on the bike. Unfortunately I have not found a source for them in North America. Road tires with tubes are passe. Apparently these are radial tires with radial tubes.

The Dunlop Motorcycle Tire representative in Dayton, Ohio that I spoke to is looking into it for me. The person in the Parts Department of my Powersports Canada dealer found radial tubes, but no tires. He thinks that the only source may be Honda Canada.

The recommended RS tubeless radial tires are Bridgestone Battlax, Dunlop Touring T30, Dunlop Road Smart III. As you are aware these are readily available.
 
Has anyone tried the 110/80 - 160/60 combo in other tires? The Pirelli Angel GT and the Continental Road Attack 3's can be had in those sizes? It sounds like clearance on the rear with this combo is ok?

I've had some poor performance with cupping on the PR3 front on another bike. I had the PR4s (not available in the correct size) on a 2012 Connie and loved them.
Thought this size comparison was a nice overall view of the two.

 
Forum member, Pterodactyl—who no longer posts—has had 2 or 3 sets of Angel GTs and prefers them to the PR3s. Indeed I once had a long ride one afternoon somewhere out the back of beyond to get him a new one.
 
bflint_imp said:
Bought replacement Pilot Road 3 for rear two weeks ago (had nail in tire). Front still had another 1000mi left on it, but decided to check online inventories. OMG. Could only find 1 Pilot Road 3 110/80-18 front tire (was on Amazon), so I ordered it. So now I should be ok for the next year, which gives our forum leaders/gurus time to figure what my next brand/size will be.
You might have got the last one. I started searching this week and couldn't find a front in 110/80. I settled for a 120/70 of which there were still a few available at Revzilla.

When I took my bike up to Idaho, I determined the front tire still had a good 3K-4K miles left (even though it had already gone 12K miles). What i miscalculated was how many miles I was going to put on the bike over the summer. When I left last week I'd already ridden another 2,500 miles and still had more to go, including the rally and the ride home. While in Idaho, I checked around Boise and there were no 18 inch PR3s available, so I ordered from Revzilla and had it delivered to me here in Phoenix. It'll fly back to Idaho with me in a week or so and I'll have it mounted up there.

BTW, with approximately 15K miles on it, the front PR3 still looks pretty good. It hasn't hit the wear bars yet, but it's getting close. I've never had a tire that wore this well and also stuck to the pavement so well. I'm really bummed that Michelin has decided to drop this one. :@
 
Someone else pointed us to a website out of the UK that is selling the 110 fronts. It was about $150 with shipping to Seattle for me. It arrived in a week including being backordered. However, it is no longer listed on their website.
 
TwoBrothersBusa_imp said:
Has anyone tried the 110/80 - 160/60 combo in other tires? The Pirelli Angel GT and the Continental Road Attack 3's can be had in those sizes? It sounds like clearance on the rear with this combo is ok?

I've had some poor performance with cupping on the PR3 front on another bike. I had the PR4s (not available in the correct size) on a 2012 Connie and loved them.
Thought this size comparison was a nice overall view of the two.



those sizes will differ from brand to brand, sorry
 
Back
Top