Michelin Pilot Road 3s...I joined the club

I have mine sitting in the garage ready to take to the dealer the next day it doesn't rain.....my question....do they "spin" balance them like car tires?


One more question: With these being directional tires....does the most interior grooves hit the road first or the most exterior. I notice on some pictures the front when one way and the rear the other?
 
Here is an interesting review. Part way down it show the tire mounted on a bike. Michelin Pilot Road 3 Review - webBikeWorld

I've seen a number of people on different boards think the grooves point the wrong way. It has to do with moving water. One review I read showed this, but that was a while back and I don't remember where.
 
I have always installed the tires myself and static balanced the tires. The few shops I've inquired with about installing them for me do the same. I'm not sure if there is a spin balance machine out there for motorcycle tires or not.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Nortoon, it will be interesting to see what your 2017 comes with. Earlier models come with either Dunlop or Bridgestone radial tyres. In Australia at least, the OEM tyres were no longer available at the time replacements came around and the only options were bias ply. At that point people started fitting the PR3, even though the rear tyre is larger than spec. Most of us who have them have been really happy. I'm on my second set having got 20K out of the first set. Then again, I was reasonably happy with the bias ply Bridgestone BT45s that I had on for a bit.
Won't know for sure for at least a couple weeks. But I spent a silly amount of time in a dark room stopping 2017 CB1100 EX videos and peering at the 23 inch computer screen through a magnifying glass. After gathering enough clues, it appears the tires are Dunlop Sportmax Touring D205s.
 
OK. That was one of the options in Australia in 2010-11.
 
kennyw_imp said:
I have always installed the tires myself and static balanced the tires. The few shops I've inquired with about installing them for me do the same. I'm not sure if there is a spin balance machine out there for motorcycle tires or not.
There is. Both of the tire shops I've used over the past decade or so had spin balancers. From the outside, at least, they look pretty much the same as the ones at the car tire shop.
 
I tried to get a set of pilot 3's a couple of months ago before the rally down under but they were no longer available here. I ended up getting the BT45's but there was only one rear tyre available and it was in Perth 2241 miles away as the crow flies. Turned up a couple of weeks later. Seems our choice of 18" tyres is fast disappearing.
 
Tezza, did you try Tyres for Bikes? They sold me a rear PR3 in January and ordered me in a front a few weeks later.
 
I searched for the Dunlop Sportmax Touring D205 tire. It is available in Europe, but not North America. I guess the CB1100 is still Honda's best kept secret here.

I have visions of people returning to their 2017 CB1100 EX and finding it sitting on a cinder block with the wheels missing.

Left an e-mail message for Dunlop.com.

Searched for a sport touring radial that would fit. Bridgestone's Battleax BT-54 is available.

What did we do before the Internet?
 
The BT54 was the other OEM option in Austrlaiia. Trouble is, neither it nor the D205 are available in Aus to fit the CB1100. Hence the PR3 which has an outsize rear tyre.
 
Today I noticed that my front PR3 had travelled 12K miles. I'm astounded that it hardly looks worn at all. Compared to the OEM Bridgestone that was totally bald at 6K, this is amazing.

The rear is at 8K miles and showing very little wear.

These tires are really great!
 
Thread starter
I'm at about 10,300 on this set. The rear is probably within 1000-1500. Ordered a new set for the Ark rally at the end of the month though.
 
Just prior to the get together in March had the local shop fit Pirelli Sport Demon. I do not recall any difficulty in the shop getting them in.

Regards
 
11,100 miles on this Avon Road Rider. Going with a Bridgestone Battle Axe dual compound next.
6361ebf0f6bfa74c4729fa1125064097.jpg



Sent from me
 
Finally got my PR3's installed today! First thing I noticed is I don't have to brace for rough payment as much! Very smooth ride.
 
I got my PR3's installed today. Getting the rear wheel installed was fun. I used a 1x4 and large plastic wedge to get things lined up, thanks to Ferret's post. Went for a
70 mile ride after dinner and I found them to be much smoother than the stock BT54's. I did manage to lock up the rear tire slowing down a little too aggressively, but they felt surefooted around corners. Plenty of clearance with my 2013 center stand--I was a little concerned about that.
 
don't understand this any longer now that Metzeler Z8's are here in the US in our sizes. I have them 1,300 miles so far and they are tops! Couldn't ask for a better tire for this bike wet or dry.
 
Back
Top