Michelin Pilot Road 3s...I joined the club

Thread starter
I'll keep riding mine until the handling just drives me crazy. Then I buy new ones and wonder why I waited so long. But I'm frugal and hate to waste.

lol I bought one lottery ticket back in the 70's. Didn't win. Figured never would, so I quit buying tickets. Not my nature anyway. I don't even gamble lol. Live right down the road (15 mins) from a horse track and casino. Been there once. For dinner.

I do have a friend that won $11 mil.
 

yea, square tire.

the new PR3's are great. i can't detail specific handling characteristics, i just have a better feeling of confidence with traction.

-Kirk Out
 
Does someone have a picture of the 2013 center stand clearance with the PR3? I don't want to cut the center stand but would like to have a reasonable gap.
 
I don't have a picture handy but I've been running the PR3 for the last 30K miles and it has plenty of clearance.
 
Me too. As far as I know, only Pterodactyl trimmed his centre stand when he first installed PR3s.
 
I remember Ptero trimming his center stand as a precaution. I know of no others on the forum, running PR3's, doing this. There is plenty of clearance from the center stand foot and PR3 rear on my 2013.
 
The Pilot Road three was the tire recommended to me at the dealership for my CTX when the stock Metzlers wore out (20000 km). I really like the PR3 on the ctx. After looking at the options today I went with the Michelins again, my dealer had no issue putting the slightly wider tire on the back. It's 10mm wider on each side, I can't see it changing the bike that drastically. I suppose I'll see for myself soon enough. My bike came with foam grips so I'm also getting a set of pro grip 719 in black on black thrown on. I don't find the vibration on the bike all that bad and I don't like the disconnected feeling the foam grip gives. Oh yeah, and I guess I joined the club.
 
Running a PR3 on the rear for past 2K miles with no issues. Enough clearance on either side not to cause me any concern. In fact, I'm getting ready to order a front one from Revzilla tonight to get installed before I make a trip the weekend of the 28th of April to Boise, Idaho (weather permitting).
 
Were are you guys finding the 160/60EZ18 Rear PR3? I searched Revzilla and could only find the 110/80ZR18 Front?
Found them on Amazon of course:
Rear: Amazon.com $167
Front: Amazon.com $135
Both from Chaparral Motorsports.

No Tax, No Shipping $302 Delivered
 
Any Canadians that are able to chime in about how to acquire the PR3s? Chaparral won't ship to Canada and calling dealerships in town, PR3 sets are not available in this country.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
I just ordered another set of PR 3s today. My current set looks pretty good still, but they have over 10,000 miles on them and I'd rather have a new set on for the Ark rally.
 
run-tmc_imp said:
Any Canadians that are able to chime in about how to acquire the PR3s? Chaparral won't ship to Canada and calling dealerships in town, PR3 sets are not available in this country.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Honda dealer Powersports Canada in Ottawa installed Michelin Pilot Road 4s on my CB500XA.

Canada's Fort Nine advertise both Michelin Pilot Road 3s and 4s. They also have free shipping on any order over $49.
 
Thanks Nortoon! After striking out at a few dealerships in Calgary I was worried I'd have to take what I could get to fit the bike. I ordered a set from Fortnine and should get them shortly. Looking forward to joining the PR3 club!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
run-tmc_imp said:
Thanks Nortoon! After striking out at a few dealerships in Calgary I was worried I'd have to take what I could get to fit the bike. I ordered a set from Fortnine and should get them shortly. Looking forward to joining the PR3 club!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know what tires come on the CB1100. My CB500XA had Pirelli Scorpions. A decent handling tire that was also stable on dirt roads. The PR4s are a better handling road tires than the Scorpions, but not as agile in the dirt.

My PR4s lean more quickly when cornering. Nothing unsafe or uncomfortable about it, it just took a few corners to get use to them. The difference in handling may also have been my well used Scorpions were thread bare and square.
 
Nortoon, it will be interesting to see what your 2017 comes with. Earlier models come with either Dunlop or Bridgestone radial tyres. In Australia at least, the OEM tyres were no longer available at the time replacements came around and the only options were bias ply. At that point people started fitting the PR3, even though the rear tyre is larger than spec. Most of us who have them have been really happy. I'm on my second set having got 20K out of the first set. Then again, I was reasonably happy with the bias ply Bridgestone BT45s that I had on for a bit.
 
Since the '17 EX has wheels with spokes, I'm assuming there will be tires with tubes. Does that dictate what type of tire you can fit to the '17 EX?
 
Thread starter
Cormanus you got 20,000 miles or KM's (12,000 miles) out of a set? Never mind you had to mean KMs lol.
 
I got 15,670 kms (9,800 miles) on the OEM Bridgestone BT54s; 11,432 kms (7,142 miles) on a set of BT45s. I only got 9,861 kms (6,163 miles) on the next set of BT45s, but that was because the rear tyre developed a very nasty gash and I swapped them to PR3s earlier than I'd have liked. That set of PR3s—my first—got 21,567 kms (13,479 miles) on the rear and 25,099 kms (15,687 miles) on the front. Can't complain about that so I'm on a second set of PR3s!
 
My source for PR3 no longer carries the 18" fronts. I need to find a new vendor.

I have over 12000 miles on my second set but still have plenty of tread on both. The rear is squared off and the front is starting to cup so they are due for replacement soon.
 
Back
Top