Michelin Pilot Road 3s...I joined the club

Some members got on to the Pilot Road 3 early on because it was one of the only viable, decent tires that fit, albeit two sizes larger than stock.

I recall that some of the 160 series tires available from some manufacturers were ok'd for fitment on a 4.5" rim, which is the size of the CB1100's rim. It was not optimal for the rim but acceptable.

So, if a guy wants to use something acceptable rather than optimal, there you are.

If some members are hooked on the PR3 there must be some reason for it, but now in 2016 there are quite a few choices that are optimal.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I think the many PR3 testimonials on this forum are likely quite valid and justified (I have no experience with these tires on my CB), but you should absolutely adhere to Honda's recommendation if you have any concerns. The second-guessing is not worth the anxiety. There is nothing wrong with that decision, and there is nothing wrong with the OE-recommended tires.
You are exactly right. The second-guessing is not worth the anxiety. That was my point all along, just not as succinctly stated. It would seem that the right decision for you would be to go with the OE-recommended tires.
"Optimal" means the best. Because a tire is not the best fit on the rim, does not disqualify it from being the best tire for the bike and rider. As it happens, there is no optimal tire choice because the tire that is best for me most certainly is not the best for Ulvetana. The correct way to state the current situation is that we are lucky to now have a wider range of tires from which to choose. This increases the chances of a CB1100 rider of finding his optimal tire.
 
Thread starter
Looking good. Angled valve stems are the cats meow. That's about right out of the Dunlops.
 
Thread starter
Personally I run a little different than most +2 on front -2 on rear or 38/40 FR.
 
Thread starter
beibg short I pretty much sit up against the tank so I think I put a little more weight on the front end. I think the 2# extra helps keep it from cupping too. I run the rear 2# soft to smooth the ride and keep the rear end from bouncing. I don't know, works for me.
 
Thread starter
MMC?..You have 12,000 on Dunlops or on Bridgestones?
 
Thread starter
wow you have to have gotten the most miles on a set of those on the forum..by a bunch. The Bridegestone rears were getting exceptional mileage, but the fronts not so much. The Dunlops seemed to wear out between 6500 and 8500 if I remember correctly.
 
Rboe_imp said:
I'm getting used to the new handling of the PR3's now and they are not as alarming as the first ride. I do have to be careful to not drop into a corner too aggressively as the bike is too willing to go for it.

I think I may have to try them on the Griso next.
Haven't checked in on this thread in a while - this is quite the opposite experience from mine. The stock Bridgies would tip in very easily because of the thinner width and taller aspect. The Michies make the handling a tic heavier, IMHO. Rider height, weight and underwear all may be contributing factors though.
 
Thread starter
MMC_imp said:
12,822 miles..... it's done! New tires on the way. :cool:




Sent from me......

Lol, yep that's toast
 
Just bought the front PR3 for my bike. ODO is at 8080 and the front looks as bare as the salt flats. I'm pretty sure this forum could secure a sponsorship with Michelin due to so many members unknowingly advertising this brand.
 
Back
Top