Michelin Pilot Road 3s...I joined the club

Pterodactyl_imp said:
The PR3 club is getting quite exclusive, at least here on OZ. On placing an order today for replacement of my worn PR3s I was told that I could have a rear tyre that was in stock at another dealer, but the front was not available. I asked how long the wait would be for an order. The reply, "Not available, as in PR3s are no longer being distributed by Michelin Australia". Interesting, but surely not I thought. I then went to the Michelin Australia website to find that for the PR3s size availability and other information has been removed.

Unless I can find a set, front and rear, in stock outside of Sydney I will have to look at another tyre choice. Not good as I really did like those PR3s.

Cheers
That's very bad news indeed.

Pterodactyl, just out of interest I tried to order a tyre from Amazon and got all excited when it said it offered free shipping. When I got to the checkout, it told me it wasn't available for shipping to my address. Didn't pursue it, but I assume that means they won't ship to Australia.

Neither of the OEM tyres is now available in OZ. The size of the wheels on this bike may well cause us folks down under problems in the future.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus, you can't walk into a Honda dealer and order oem tires by part number?
 
Good question, Ferret. I've not tried, but I suspect dealers can only get what's available in OZ. I'll try to remember to ask when I'm next at the dealers.
 
Thread starter
I would think they would be considered hard parts and would have to be made a ailable, however I'd rather find a source for PR3's.
 
Not cheap. Wonder whether they'll continue to import them to NZ and not Aus or whether they're running down the stock?
The ferret_imp said:
I would think they would be considered hard parts and would have to be made a ailable, however I'd rather find a source for PR3's.
Yes, me too.

I'll have a chat with the dealer next time I'm passing.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
The PR3 club is getting quite exclusive, at least here on OZ. On placing an order today for replacement of my worn PR3s I was told that I could have a rear tyre that was in stock at another dealer, but the front was not available. I asked how long the wait would be for an order. The reply, "Not available, as in PR3s are no longer being distributed by Michelin Australia". Interesting, but surely not I thought. I then went to the Michelin Australia website to find that for the PR3s size availability and other information has been removed.

Unless I can find a set, front and rear, in stock outside of Sydney I will have to look at another tyre choice. Not good as I really did like those PR3s.

Cheers
That's bizarre. Michelin PR3s are one of the best selling sport/touring tires in the world. I could see them dropping an obscure type, but a popular tire like the PR3? That is very odd.

I suppose you could always fall back on the BT45s if there aren't any available radials in your size.
 
You Aussie lads should have bought the PR3's while at the rally and taken them home in garment bags as carry on luggage. :D Told the TSA agents they're rubber suit washers.
 
Pirelli Angel GTs available locally, fitted and balanced at AUD594. That is the 110/80 and 160/60.




Flynrider_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
The PR3 club is getting quite exclusive, at least here on OZ. On placing an order today for replacement of my worn PR3s I was told that I could have a rear tyre that was in stock at another dealer, but the front was not available. I asked how long the wait would be for an order. The reply, "Not available, as in PR3s are no longer being distributed by Michelin Australia". Interesting, but surely not I thought. I then went to the Michelin Australia website to find that for the PR3s size availability and other information has been removed.

Unless I can find a set, front and rear, in stock outside of Sydney I will have to look at another tyre choice. Not good as I really did like those PR3s.

Cheers
That's bizarre. Michelin PR3s are one of the best selling sport/touring tires in the world. I could see them dropping an obscure type, but a popular tire like the PR3? That is very odd.

I suppose you could always fall back on the BT45s if there aren't any available radials in your size.
Odd indeed. Maybe clearing stock in a limited market to concentrate on fewer and newer products. I don't think I will bother Emailing Michelin to find out :).

Cheers
 
I think the Angel GT might be worth looking at. The German magazine Motorrad placed them first in their test of the touring tires;

Here is the final result of the comparison, which places Angel GT at the top of the list followed by Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact tied with Bridgestone T30 and all the other tyres which were part of the test in fourth place:

1. Pirelli Angel GT
2. Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact
2. Bridgestone T30
4. Continental Road Attack 2
4. Dunlop Roadsmart 2
4. Michelin Pilot Road 3

My problem is I don't really want a 160 for the rear, and for 140 the choice is very limited. Most likely I will end up buying some T30 from Japan.
 
Thanks Henrik. I have been using the 110/160 combination for nearly 20,000kms and haven't been unhappy. I want radials as I prefer them to cross-ply so I will have a hard look at the Pirellis.

Cheers
I hope Cormanus' prediction regarding 18 size tyres for our CBs getting scarce doesn't eventuate.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
The PR3 club is getting quite exclusive, at least here on OZ. On placing an order today for replacement of my worn PR3s I was told that I could have a rear tyre that was in stock at another dealer, but the front was not available. I asked how long the wait would be for an order. The reply, "Not available, as in PR3s are no longer being distributed by Michelin Australia". Interesting, but surely not I thought. I then went to the Michelin Australia website to find that for the PR3s size availability and other information has been removed.

Unless I can find a set, front and rear, in stock outside of Sydney I will have to look at another tyre choice. Not good as I really did like those PR3s.

Cheers
That's bizarre. Michelin PR3s are one of the best selling sport/touring tires in the world. I could see them dropping an obscure type, but a popular tire like the PR3? That is very odd.

I suppose you could always fall back on the BT45s if there aren't any available radials in your size.
That's bizarre. Michelin PR3s are one of the best selling sport/touring tires in the world. I could see them dropping an obscure type, but a popular tire like the PR3? That is very odd.

I suppose you could always fall back on the BT45s if there aren't any available radials in your size.
Is it all PR3s or just the 18" PR3s that Michelin is no longer bringing to Australia? I suspect the latter. However this, on Michelin's Australian website, was disappointing.

 
The same message appears on the US site. They only list tires that are the size specified by the maker. Strange that Michelin does not list the PR3 120 front tire on their US site but it is available from Revzilla and others.
 
Looks like Avon's new Trailrider tire for ADV bikes is available in 110/80 18 and 140/80 18. I wonder how much difference there is in a 140/80 18 vs a 140/70 18? Found it, the difference is in the tire diameter. The 140/80 18 has a diameter that is 1.1 inch more then a 140/70 18. That would make it 1/2 inch closer to the swingarm pivot, fender under compression, etc. So it may not fit.
 
G'day 'Birds, I am going to persue the availability of the PR3s with Michelin Australia. The agent I spoke with didn't try to push me to something else so I don't suspect an ulterior motive on his part - I buy their often and they always behave well. Maybe it is lack of market for the 18 size road tyres that is the problem. They never produced the PR3 in a 140, as far as I know.

Cheers
 
The other day while recording the mileage for my latest oil change, I realized that the PR3 up front had racked up 500 miles more than the OEM BT54 it replaced. The BT54 was completely bald at 6K miles, while the PR3 has traveled 6.5K miles and still looks hardly worn. The difference is like night and day. I'm very pleased with their performance.
 
Back
Top