Michelin Pilot Road 3s...I joined the club

And yet, Henrik, in the past I have known tubeless car tyres that have been punctured to be repaired by the simple expedient of putting a tube into them. That was a while ago, I admit. Perhaps CA200 could enlighten us?
 
Cormanus, having experienced tire problems on both cars and bikes in the past, I am always more concerned about the consequences of it happening on a bike again.
 
Put some more miles on the PR3s yesterday. Was able to find a few curves and was favorably impressed. From new I never liked the OE Bridgestone's, especially the front which seemed to want to fall into a turn and then search for a line through. With the 120/70 PR3, the bike rolls into the turn predictably and readily settles into the line chosen. They do ride better also, absorbing small bumps better than the OE tires. And they are so much better in sand, not of any importance to most but important to me as my road at home gets dry and the sand deep. The PR3s seem to "float" over the deep sand, very nice.
 
redbirds_imp said:
jazzmans_imp said:
I have PR 4s on my FZ09, had PR3's previously.

There is no doubt whatsoever about which tires I'll put on the CB once the stock tires are worn enough to justify it.

Michelin Pilot Road 4s (if I can find my size,) or Pilot Road 3s.
PR4's still not available in 18" for our bikes but PR3's are good with two choices for the front. Revzilla is the only site I've seen that lists the larger front, 120/70-18. It's not listed on Michelin's site for some reason.
PR4's still not available in 18" for our bikes but PR3's are good with two choices for the front. Revzilla is the only site I've seen that lists the larger front, 120/70-18. It's not listed on Michelin's site for some reason.
Would PR4's ever be in a different size now? Tooling would be expensive to set up now for such a low volume item unless there was huge demand. At this point, most are probably happy to just have the PR3.
 
I use a trash bag with talcum when changing tubes (on tubed tires), toss the tube in there, give her a good shake and install the tube. Lets the tube conform to the tire while inflating, it's a dry lube. I suspect the same effect could be used when installing in a tubeless tire.

Long ago I borrowed a buddies bike for a trip, on the way back I suffered a puncture in the rear tire about twenty miles from home. Unknown to me he had a tube in a tubeless tire. Didn't help when it was holed..... :D

Now you guys have me worried about new tires. :(
 
OK, I'm a full member of the club today. Mounted a PR3 on the back to match the one I put on the front last year. So far I'm really liking them. They're plenty sticky. I was scrubbing in the sidewalls at the airport and even with the peg feelers scraping on both sides, she felt firmly planted. Since I'm on call for work I can't leave town, but I still managed to put 100 miles in this afternoon.

I'm expecting these tires to wear much better than the stock BT54s. My front BT54 was showing wear bars at 5K miles and was bald at 6K. So far, the PR3 on the front has 3.7K miles and still looks brand new. The rear BT54 went 9.7K, but wore very unevenly in the last half of its life. I think the dual compound rear PR3 will fare much better.
f28c10a35112db34e1a96cd0b3df202f.jpeg


BTW, when I was putting the rear wheel back on I was wondering how accurate the marks on the chain adjusters were. Normally, I just eyeball the adjusters on each side, then sight down the chain to make sure it tracks straight. Today I got out my calipers and used them to measure the gap between the adjuster and the swingarm on each side. I was able to get both adjusters within a few thousands of an inch. Using the eyeball method the difference was a few hundredths. Not sure if it makes a whole lot of difference, but it certainly can't hurt.
 
In an abundance of caution, some have trimmed off part of the center stand foot, but most of us have not and no one, to my knowledge has had clearance issues.
 
obleo_imp said:
Any clearance issues on the rear tire? I have a 2013 also and would like to switch to these tires.
I was a bit concerned when I heard that some were trimming the center stand foot, but enough members had switched without issues that I felt OK about the clearance. No issues so far.
 
I had a long discussion with the mechanics at the dealers about whether we should trim the centre stand. Long story short, we didn't.
 
Wear bars are showing on my Bridgstones. I been following this thread thinking I want to go with a new set of PR3's. Call up dealer get a price on the tires. Good price 135.00 for the front 168.00 for the rear. Then I tell them what bike I'm putting them on. Service Manager says no way. They refuse to put the 160 on the rear. Safety and Liability reasons. I know I can go somewhere else. My point is that dealers want to make money and for a dealer to send me somewhere else for this reason leads me to believe there may be validity in their reasoning. Comments from the CB1100 community? (I have been doing business with this dealer for a long time and have a good relationship with them).
 
Thread starter
Lots of us have been running them for thousands of miles, no issues. Buy the tire from him, take the wheel and tire someplace else to be mounted.

or just buy another Bridgestone
 
Well, this group is doomed then since I'm guessing about a dozen of us have PR3s now. From personal experience, just putting about 1,500 miles on mine, they are working out okay. My tire installer didn't bat an eye putting these on either but he doesn't have to worry about the insurance agent canceling a policy over it.
 
I know it's Australia, but my dealer expressed no concern about the PR3 rear. That said, Pterodactyl and I had a conversation with a man who runs a business selling and fitting types to motorcycles and he had some reservations about the effect the PR3 may have in the bike's handling.

My limited experience is that they're fine; Pterodactyl and others can add their two bob's worth.

The man we really need to hear from is CA200.
 
My dealer was enthusiastic at the idea of going up one size on the front and rear PR3's. All I know is that my CB handles and rides better on the new tires and I would never go back to the original Bridgestones.
 
redbirds_imp said:
My dealer was enthusiastic at the idea of going up one size on the front and rear PR3's. All I know is that my CB handles and rides better on the new tires and I would never go back to the original Bridgestones.
I'll endorse that 'Birds. My PR3s are at the end of their (long) life and the new tyres will be PR3s.

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
My dealer was enthusiastic at the idea of going up one size on the front and rear PR3's. All I know is that my CB handles and rides better on the new tires and I would never go back to the original Bridgestones.
I'll endorse that 'Birds. My PR3s are at the end of their (long) life and the new tyres will be PR3s.

Cheers
Please post pictures of how they wore out. Is the wear uniform or are they scalloped or lumpy?

Thanks!
 
Back
Top