Michelin Pilot Road 3s...I joined the club

EmptySea_imp said:
If it helps,I'm have about 6 or 7k miles on mine and they look great and still feel great. Love them on wet pavement.
Agreed. 16000kms on mine. The rear is just on the wear indicators with the front not far behind. They are the best tyres I have used on the CB. I like the 160 rear, gives the bike a nice feel.

Cheers
 
I ordered a set of PR3's for my 2013, a 120/70-18 for the front which I think is different from what others here have tried. Although 10mm wider the rolling diameter should be similar to the 110/80-18. Hope to have them mounted this coming week and will report on how the front tire works. The OE Bridgestones still look good but for the center tread flat, a result of riding on mostly straight roads.

I've had PR2's on my last two bikes and really liked the extended wear and good wet traction. I hope the PR3's will prove even better.
 
redbirds_imp said:
I ordered a set of PR3's for my 2013, a 120/70-18 for the front which I think is different from what others here have tried. Although 10mm wider the rolling diameter should be similar to the 110/80-18. Hope to have them mounted this coming week and will report on how the front tire works. The OE Bridgestones still look good but for the center tread flat, a result of riding on mostly straight roads.

I've had PR2's on my last two bikes and really liked the extended wear and good wet traction. I hope the PR3's will prove even better.
Let us know the clearance and how those 120's feel.
 
Mickey, any input now that you've had them for a few months? I'd be curious about what you think about handling - stickiness, turn-in, wet and/or dry traction, etc. Any massive improvements, or just a decent alternative to the stockers?
 
Thread starter
Papa, I love the tires, Probably 2000 miles on them now. I really can't say they have any more traction than the stock Dunlops. I never had an issue with the traction of the Dunlops. I am hoping to get some more mileage out of the PR3s. With the wider rear I think there is a cushion of safety as I was able to get right to the edge on the stock Dunlops but have not been able to on the PR3 and I think it's because of the wider profile. I'm not riding any easier. I'm no Marc Marquez, but I think I ride pretty hard thru the curves. I've not ridden much in the rain and when I do I slow it down and ride more vertical, so I' m not likely to find the tire limits in the wet. Would I give them my endorsement, yes. Will my next set be the PR3's. I believe they will.
 
Good report. Anybody try Pirelli Angel GTs? Have heard good things about them too. After using Michelin PR2s in the past, would be nice to try something new.
 
Got the Pilot Road 3's mounted today at my dealer in Jacksonville so I was able to put about 110 miles on them heading home. Not enough miles to really make an evaluation but I do think they ride smoother. Maybe the tires sidewalls are less stiff than the stock Bridgestones. My dealer was unable to order the 110/80 front as their distributor was out of stock so I went with a 120/70 front which has about the same diameter as the 110/80 but 10mm wider.

15dd10ae1871aad07792295af50b5255.jpg


6f54c84567dbd3cc5507eab2c98578eb.jpg
 
redbirds_imp said:
Got the Pilot Road 3's mounted today at my dealer in Jacksonville so I was able to put about 110 miles on them heading home. Not enough miles to really make an evaluation but I do think they ride smoother. Maybe the tires sidewalls are less stiff than the stock Bridgestones. My dealer was unable to order the 110/80 front as their distributor was out of stock so I went with a 120/70 front which has about the same diameter as the 110/80 but 10mm wider.

15dd10ae1871aad07792295af50b5255.jpg


6f54c84567dbd3cc5507eab2c98578eb.jpg
The ferret_imp said:
Papa, I love the tires, Probably 2000 miles on them now. I really can't say they have any more traction than the stock Dunlops. I never had an issue with the traction of the Dunlops. I am hoping to get some more mileage out of the PR3s. With the wider rear I think there is a cushion of safety as I was able to get right to the edge on the stock Dunlops but have not been able to on the PR3 and I think it's because of the wider profile. I'm not riding any easier. I'm no Marc Marquez, but I think I ride pretty hard thru the curves. I've not ridden much in the rain and when I do I slow it down and ride more vertical, so I' m not likely to find the tire limits in the wet. Would I give them my endorsement, yes. Will my next set be the PR3's. I believe they will.
'Birds, I don't think you will regret it. Like Ferret, and others, I like the feel of the RP3s. Despite a statement to the contrary on the forum, it is definitely not a function of "they feel good 'cause they are new". Even after a lot of use I still feel they are a better tyre than the OEM Dunlops or the Bridgestones I had fitted. And that is at all stages of wear.

I have now travelled 2100kms (just over 13000 miles) on my RP3s. I will admit that I may have over-used them a little, just look at the rear tread pictured below compared with your brand newies above.

I agree with the The Ferret (quoted above). I used my Dunlops and Bridgies pretty much right to the edge but, if you look closely, there is still a some chicken strip remaining on the RP3s. I haven't treated them gently, with quite a few peg touchdowns even as recently as the last few weeks, but the edges still feel very secure. So they should, there is still plenty of tread there. The centre tread is pretty much down to the the wear indicators so I leave plenty of room in front of me in the wet. I am going to change them after the NC rally trip, along with the chain and sprockets.

a0e86ae5ccb0839a0410ff0708ae1a94.jpg


Cheers and enjoy the RP3 ride.
 
They're falling like flies here.

I've been running BT45s for the past 9,000 kms or so. They replaced a set that lasted 12,000 kms or so and had more life in them. But, when the bike went for its 36,000 km service recently, the eagle eyed mechanic noticed a rip in the rear tyre.



So, earlier than expected or desired, today I had a set of PR3s fitted to the bike.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Got the Pilot Road 3's mounted today at my dealer in Jacksonville so I was able to put about 110 miles on them heading home. Not enough miles to really make an evaluation but I do think they ride smoother. Maybe the tires sidewalls are less stiff than the stock Bridgestones. My dealer was unable to order the 110/80 front as their distributor was out of stock so I went with a 120/70 front which has about the same diameter as the 110/80 but 10mm wider.

15dd10ae1871aad07792295af50b5255.jpg


6f54c84567dbd3cc5507eab2c98578eb.jpg
They look good red :thumbsup:
f71711d07025ec859c271eeacdf72ea0.jpg


Wow P, 13,000 miles, can't ask for more than that out of a tire.
 
You all have sold me. PR3s on order. I'll have 'em in time for the NC Rally. It's getting to be like the RLET wave: all the cool kids are doing it!
 
I put a PR3 on the front last summer. Just ordered one for the rear.

Normally I like to stick with stock tire sizes, but the CB11 makes it tough. I think the only ones that fit are the OEM Bridgestones and Dunlops. I wasn't impressed with the wear on the Bridgestones and couldn't find the Dunlops at any of the usual outlets on the Internet. I spent an evening searching all of the major manufacturers for radials in the CB11's tire sizes and came up empty. The PR3 on the front has been excellent, so I'm going to bite the bullet and mount the 160/60-18 PR3 on the back.
 
I have PR 4s on my FZ09, had PR3's previously.

There is no doubt whatsoever about which tires I'll put on the CB once the stock tires are worn enough to justify it.

Michelin Pilot Road 4s (if I can find my size,) or Pilot Road 3s.
 
jazzmans_imp said:
I have PR 4s on my FZ09, had PR3's previously.

There is no doubt whatsoever about which tires I'll put on the CB once the stock tires are worn enough to justify it.

Michelin Pilot Road 4s (if I can find my size,) or Pilot Road 3s.
PR4's still not available in 18" for our bikes but PR3's are good with two choices for the front. Revzilla is the only site I've seen that lists the larger front, 120/70-18. It's not listed on Michelin's site for some reason.
 
well that sure sucks, the PR4's grip better AND have better tread life, but PR3s are better then the stockers, that's for sure.
 
Tire choice, or rather a lack thereof, is really the only thing that bothers me with the CB1100. For the beautiful spoke wheels on my EX the choice is basically non-existent. The Dunlops that came with the bike are okay, but they are no longer available, and so I really don't know what to do when I will need to change. Having tried a number of different ones over the years, I have never liked Michelins. It is their shape that I don't like, as they tend to drop in to corners rather than roll in to corners. In general, I prefer Pirellis, and on sportier bikes that has often been my choice. The last Diablos I had were amazing, and I would love to find something like that for the CB.

Right now it looks like I will be obliged to put tubes in a tubeless tire, and that is something I would rather avoid. The alternative will be to replace the spoke wheels....
 
Honest question....why would putting tubes in a tubeless tire be a big deal, reason I ask is I'm somewhat flirting with getting spokes wheels and while trying to price dunlops in the U.S. in a attempt to save money rather then buy and ship from japan I found out like you that they were being discontinued...
 
Headbanger, from what I have been told by my motorcycle shop as well as a specialized tire shop I have often turned to in the past, the first thing is the tubeless tires were not designed to have tubes in them. There is a risk of friction inside the tire that will cause chaffing and/or over heating of the tube which can lead to unexpected blowouts etc. The carcass of a tubeless is stiffer than a tire designed for tubes, and I suppose this has an impact on how the tube "behaves" inside the tire as well.
 
Back
Top