Mazda Miata?

Bighonda14_imp said:
Today gave me the opportunity to demo a 2012 Miata. Beautiful vehicle. Silver. Hard top that folds into the trunk. But . . . on the highway it was the noisiest vehicle I have ridden or driven in memory. Reminded me how much I value a smooth, refined, and quiet ride. May demo another one in the warmer weather, just for fun, but pretty sure I will not buy one. The CB1100 is looking like the more enjoyable and relaxing option!

My sister has a Miata, I own a BMW M Roadster (Z3 generation). No comparison in comfort, smoothness, power, and IMO looks. Try one of those if you really want a small fun drop top.
 
Capo_imp said:
bigsheep_imp said:
Capo_imp said:
To me, there is little correlation between a motorcycle and a convertible. I enjoyed the Miata, and the Lotus, as sports cars, not as top- down cruising cars. I don't find the motorcycle itch scratched just because there is no roof over my head in a cage. Maybe if I wore a helmet with the top down? Hmmmmm....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe if you straddle the door while hanging onto the windshield and leaning over as far as you can with the turns?
Maybe if you straddle the door while hanging onto the windshield and leaning over as far as you can with the turns?
Yes! I might be the first person to get a knee down in a car!
Maybe if you straddle the door while hanging onto the windshield and leaning over as far as you can with the turns?
Yes! I might be the first person to get a knee down in a car!
You may be the first person to get a knee down in a Miata, but I promise you're not the first to get a knee down in a car. Although not perhaps in the way you meant. :)
 
The reason S2000 demand such a high price is because it's a great car with a "cult" following. And I mean cult in a good way. Ask me how I know. Bought my 2005 new and it's the auto equivalent to a motorcycle. Every time I go to the Honda dealer they want to buy it from me!!
 
Rumor has it another S 2000 is in the works from Honda.

Did you know Hondas original sportscar the S 600 was chain drive
 
The Mazda Miata is definitely a fun car. The wife will love it. We tried a S2000, really fun car but the wife thought the suspension was too harsh. The Mazda really handles well without such a harsh ride. It really depends on who the car is for.

They are extremely reliable, in fact I still have the original battery in my 2006. Only problem I've had is the drains become clogged with debris. You have to clean the drains every 6 months if you have a lot of trees.

I'll be 69 this June and still can easily get out of the car. I still get out using just one leg just like always. However when you get a little older it's important to do leg, arm, back, shoulder and chest exercises for comfortable motorcycle riding. I've used a couple dumbbells and a Weider Powerstack Multi-Gym for years to stay in shape. 35 to 45 minutes 3 times a week is fine.

It helps with every aspect of riding and doing everyday chores and what not. I'd definitely recommend the Miata but with this caveat, keep the CB1100. At a young 54 if you get rid of it, you will regret it, and most likely buy another bike a couple springs from now. They don't take up much room anyway. :-)
 
Troll time. If the S200 was such hot stuff, why is it the Miata is unquestionably the world's best selling sports car, in continuous production for decades, while the S2000 is just a memory? Kinda like the Vincent; if it was the world's greatest bike, why did its contemporary Harley outlast it? You can't just say people don't appreciate true greatness. Look at the Miata, or say, the Corvette, also in production continuously for decades.
 
Original msrp of S2000 was $34k to $37K. It was a limited enthusiasts sports car. THe Miata was probably around $15k cheaper in 2009 and was a mass produced every mans sports car

Same story with the Vincent and Harley
 
Good answer. But in the real world it's selling a good value that keeps your business rolling a long time. Give people a product they like and can afford and you're on the way to the bank. Witness the Civic, the Accord, the CRV. All are at or near the top of the auto press best value lists year in and out. The s2000 was focused at the BMW boys but didn't convey the instant status. So, the Z4 lives.....as does the Miata.
 
as you said the Civic, Accord and CRV pay the bills and lets Honda play with things like the S2000 which was never meant to be a mainstream car. Same with things like GB500, CBX, VFR1200R, DN-01,and Rune. The Goldwings, CB 750's, CB 500's, Honda Shadows etc were paying the bills and allowed Honda to try some out of the box stuff.

The Harley Sporster has been around since the 50's. But the VFR1200R is without doubt a better motorcycle. One has lasted 1/2 century, the other a couple of years. I'd rather have the VFR1200R..and the S2000.
 
Troll away physics-teacher!! Using your logic, the best car would be the one that sells the most. Using one model year sales figures would put the Ford Fairmont in contention for the title of "world's best car". S2000 was produced for a long time. At the time, it had the best hp per liter of displacement of any naturally aspirated car, even beating Ferrari at the time. Today they are still competitive in road racing, even though they are grouped against larger displacement vehicles. Miatas generally compete against Miatas, not S2000s. S2000s still dominate in most autocross type events. The Miata is a great sports car, but it was designed for the masses. The S2000 was designed for enthusiasts!


physics-teacher_imp said:
Troll time. If the S200 was such hot stuff, why is it the Miata is unquestionably the world's best selling sports car, in continuous production for decades, while the S2000 is just a memory? Kinda like the Vincent; if it was the world's greatest bike, why did its contemporary Harley outlast it? You can't just say people don't appreciate true greatness. Look at the Miata, or say, the Corvette, also in production continuously for decades.
 
To me, Miata = CB1100. Affordable, reliable, good build quality, makes you feel good, forgiving, sporty but not a racer and never intended to be.

S2000 = VFR1200. High tech, relatively expensive, excellent quality, high performance, a bit more discriminating customer.

Or not.
 
Funny on todays ride, I had to go down the main drag to the Honda/Yamaha shop to pick up some 10/30 for the CB which is due for an oil change? On the main drag of course there are several car dealers. As I'm driving past one of them I look over and there dispayed in the corner by the road was a silver S-2000 with the top down. I ALMOST turned around to see what they were asking for it lol
 
physics-teacher Wrote:If the _____ was such hot stuff, why is it the ____ is unquestionably the world's best selling ___? if it was the world's greatest ___, why did its contemporary ___ outlast it? You can't just say people don't appreciate true greatness. (then contradiction-) But in the real world it's selling a good value that keeps your business rolling a long time. Give people a product they like and can afford and you're on the way to the bank.


Troll indeed. You know the answer. Affordability and 'good enough'.

I'll back that up with an example- the VW Phaeton, by several metrics is the best car ever made. In many ways it is indeed better than the Bentley Continental it spawned other than outright power from the turbos.

The CGT made numerous compromises in the name of style and 'sportiness'... yet they sold like hotcakes. The Phaeton sold very few- and yes part because it looked like a big Passat, but the Passat sold well, with nowhere near the same capability or build quality- it came down to cost 100%. The person paying the amount the car cost wanted perception of prestige and flashiness. It didn't matter that the car was superior- massive sales failure.
 
I think you nailed it. The Phaeton was visually too similar to the Passat to discriminate it as something different or superior. That said, I had a '99 Passat V6 and you're right, the build quality wasn't that impressive, despite the fact it was simply a rebadged Audi A6 2.8L (for whatever that's worth). It took a bunch of money to coax it to 195k miles before I gave up on it.
 
I never said or even implied that'll the Miata is the best sports car. There is no such thing since there is no commonly accepted metric. The results are totally arbitrary, just like a beauty contest.
What is provable is that the Miata is the best selling sports car of all time. By THIS metric, it is the most successful sports car ever.
Now you are free to pick your own metric, and I can't criticize. Snob appeal? Top speed? 0-60?
Maybe rarity or short production run? That's as good a measure as any, since all are arbitrary. I always wanted a Morgan Plus-4!
Peter Egan has owned a couple of Miatas and never seems to have a bad word for them. Maybe he's not an "enthusiast!" Come to think of it, he's owned several Harleys, including a brand-new Sportster. To my knowledge, Peter hasn't fallen for an S2000 yet, though I would'nt be shocked if he did.
 
LOl if you use Egan as a benchmark the best bike must be some British twin that usually leaves him stranded (big Egan fan btw). His newest motorcycle love is also British, a T120. he has always been a car enthusiast and usually loves something a less mainstream. I'm surprised he is a Miata fan. They are so 'common".
 
Late to this discussion and maybe too late. I have a 1992 Miata (MX-5 down here in Australia) and it has been a joy from the first day. It is showing it's age now, though. I'll likely get a new one "for my wife" soon. Maybe a red one for valentines Day?
 
redbirds_imp said:
I think I'll start a bird watching thread and mention it's most entertaining when done from a motorcycle.
Good plan redbirds. I'd had my first motorcycle for about 24 hours when I got engrossed in watching a bird and rode straight into the back of the car in front of me.
 
Back
Top