Mazda Miata?

Bighonda14_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I am 54 years old and thinking about selling my beloved Honda CB1100 Deluxe and buying a Mazda Miata or similar car. Don't ride the motorcycle as much as I used to ride other bikes in the past. My 10 year old daughter and wife would both enjoy a convertible way more than the bike. A VW Golf or GTI with a manual, in place of my Honda Accord, is also an option.

Any stories from guys who made a similar move? What did you learn from the experience? Any advice? I could sell my bike and for another $5-8,000 get a pretty sweet used Miata.

I live in NJ so have cold weather some of the year.

Let me be clear -- I dearly love riding and my CB1100. Just wondering if it's time for a change.

Thanks for any thoughts!
 
Bighonda14_imp said:
I am 54 years old and thinking about selling my beloved Honda CB1100 Deluxe and buying a Mazda Miata or similar car. Don't ride the motorcycle as much as I used to ride other bikes in the past. My 10 year old daughter and wife would both enjoy a convertible way more than the bike. A VW Golf or GTI with a manual, in place of my Honda Accord, is also an option.

Any stories from guys who made a similar move? What did you learn from the experience? Any advice? I could sell my bike and for another $5-8,000 get a pretty sweet used Miata.

I live in NJ so have cold weather some of the year.

Let me be clear -- I dearly love riding and my CB1100. Just wondering if it's time for a change.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Do what you gotta do, life's short so cram in all you can, good luck

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
 
Owned a first year Miata and a Gen II with a removable hard top. Fun cars; you can do lot's of mods. Wife loved the Miata. Go test drive a nice used one{:>)
 
Miata - small car - a bit hard to get into and out of.

Used Mustang convertible = more room and better fuel economy - but get one new enough to get the 3.7L V-6.

Next opinion, please.
 
I had the CB and a Mustang GT convertible both in my garage at the same time. Both were fun in different ways though I looked forward to riding the CB more than driving the Mustang - but that was just me. Do what floats your boat and enjoy!
 
I've had three Miatas. Still have a 2000 and my wife's 2008. Great cars!
Around here; most are driven by an older generation, and not driven in the winter. As mentioned previously; test drive and search for what you want.

Good luck!
 
Find an S2000. Maybe a bit more money, but the engine rev's higher than our bikes and still a honda, you can probably find the same colour as your bike!
Pfft, never mind, guys are asking ridiculous money for what it is. Maybe they're more reasonably priced around where you are, but around here guys are asking 14000 for a '08 with 219000km!
 
I owned a Miata for 15 years, and it is a fantastic, balanced, reliable sports car. It's the equivalent of what an MG or Triumph was back in the day, except it won't break your heart. Ideal for NJ back roads, and I taught my son how to drive a manual trans in the Miata.

I now have a Lotus Elise, which is a dramatically better performance car, but I'd have another Miata in a minute, and likely will some day.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I suppose for men of a certain age and life station, this might be a common question, and admittedly one I have wondered if I might have to make someday. I know even in my mid 60's I'm not ready to ask myself that question. I still enjoy and look forward to riding, every day.

I'm not sure any 4 wheeler, whether it has a top or not, could replace the visceral experience I get from riding.

My brother has a hard top convertible Miata which he says is fun, but not fun like his Triumph Bonneville. He has a Triumph tattoo that covers his right forearm, but he doesn't have a Mazda tattoo if that tells you anything lol
 
Miata is tiny and can give an uncomfortable ride, but I haven't driven the new one yet. I like the Fiat version's styling more.

I'll not advise you to keep riding if you're really not that interested in riding now.
 
Another former Miata owner here. Great car, lots of fun. I moved on to a Mini because of extra space while keeping the gocart feel.
 
I don't think this can be rationalized. BH, follow your heart and do what's best for you and your family. By virtue of your airing this on a public forum, I presume the Miata will win, which is fine if you don't want both the bike and the car.

My personal quandary has always been Porsche 911 / Corvette vs. a bunch of motorcycles... I imagine it'll reach the tipping point sometime soon.
 
Miata. Good car. Pretty sporty. I have considered this or a similar sports car if my wife and I were ever to give up riding. It wouldn't be the same, but it would still be a fun way to get around.
 
I am 53. I am on pause so far as racing goes, but will be back at it soon as finances permit. I know guys in their 60's that still do track days and guys in their 70's that still ride. You will miss it. Don't do it. Keep a bike. Get a project car that needs some work.
 
I could not fit into a Miata. But a few years after I quit motorcycling, I bought this 9 year old Martian Red Rabbit from my uncle. Only a 4-cylinder engine, but the 5 speed transmission made it scoot. I drove it for 13 years and sold it to a friend. It was a lot of fun, and as reliable as a Honda.
 
Haven't quit motorcycling, however to fulfill the car bug, I got a Subaru BRZ. It has a tiny enough back seat for a car seat and small kid..

2800 lbs, rwd, 200hp, traction control, stability control (both of which you can turn off). Handles like a much more expensive car.. Most fun on 4 I've ever had and I've driven a lot.
 
Back
Top