Mazda Miata?

To me, there is little correlation between a motorcycle and a convertible. I enjoyed the Miata, and the Lotus, as sports cars, not as top- down cruising cars. I don't find the motorcycle itch scratched just because there is no roof over my head in a cage. Maybe if I wore a helmet with the top down? Hmmmmm....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I've never owned a convertible, but for the last 20 years my cars have had sunroofs. I can open the roof, put the windows down and it's close enough for me. My current ride is a '16 Focus ST, which is a very fun car to drive. :banana:
 
Capo_imp said:
To me, there is little correlation between a motorcycle and a convertible. I enjoyed the Miata, and the Lotus, as sports cars, not as top- down cruising cars. I don't find the motorcycle itch scratched just because there is no roof over my head in a cage. Maybe if I wore a helmet with the top down? Hmmmmm....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe if you straddle the door while hanging onto the windshield and leaning over as far as you can with the turns?
 
bigsheep_imp said:
Capo_imp said:
To me, there is little correlation between a motorcycle and a convertible. I enjoyed the Miata, and the Lotus, as sports cars, not as top- down cruising cars. I don't find the motorcycle itch scratched just because there is no roof over my head in a cage. Maybe if I wore a helmet with the top down? Hmmmmm....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe if you straddle the door while hanging onto the windshield and leaning over as far as you can with the turns?
Maybe if you straddle the door while hanging onto the windshield and leaning over as far as you can with the turns?
Yes! I might be the first person to get a knee down in a car!
 
Bighonda14_imp said:
I am 54 years old and thinking about selling my beloved Honda CB1100 Deluxe and buying a Mazda Miata or similar car. Don't ride the motorcycle as much as I used to ride other bikes in the past. My 10 year old daughter and wife would both enjoy a convertible way more than the bike. A VW Golf or GTI with a manual, in place of my Honda Accord, is also an option.

Any stories from guys who made a similar move? What did you learn from the experience? Any advice? I could sell my bike and for another $5-8,000 get a pretty sweet used Miata.

I live in NJ so have cold weather some of the year.

Let me be clear -- I dearly love riding and my CB1100. Just wondering if it's time for a change.

Thanks for any thoughts!
I sold the Miata when I got my motorcycle license (back - after 30 years - the usual thing: last of the kids graduating...). So, a similar move, just in the opposite direction.

Miata is an excellent motorcar, you will not regret your decision. I made a couple of trans-continental tours with it, and recommend it highly. The only way to beat it for a more enjoyable, spirited ride is to reduce the number of wheels by half.
 
Co-worker got one of the latest-gen Miatas last summer, and let me take it for a spirited spin with him. Very fun car, great fit and finish, *outstanding* new one-handed mechanism for the convertible top. Recommended. Keep the bike, though. :)
 
I thoroughly enjoyed my Rabbit convertible for 13 summers.
The windshield was tall enough to eliminate the wind blast and noise.
The vent windows on the side of the windshield allowed cooling air.
You could rest your arm on the top of the door because all the windows were down.
You could put the roof up in a couple of minutes if it rained.
You didn't have to wear a helmet or clunky motorcycle riding gear.
It had a heater for cold weather.
You could haul enough stuff to go fishing for a week.
I could sing along to my Johnny Cash CDs as I drove.
It would hold four people comfortably.
Even the boss liked it, although I never taught her how to drive it.
It ticked cagers off seeing me having so much fun and enjoying the sun.
They would try desperately to pass me in the twisties, but fail.
I was much safer to drive than a car.
Dirt roads were no problem.
Every where I stopped people would say "What a cute car".
Every one I knew wanted to buy it from me.
I sold it for $1200 although it was 22 years old.
It cost far less to insure and maintain than my motorcycles.

Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't buy that new CB1100EX.:cool:
 
Sports cars are fun to drive, convertibles especially so.Wife has had one for more than 10 years and I occasionally get to drive it! Can they replace a motorcycle? Only if you are ready to make the change and have decided to walk away entirely, know when to say when.

Miata is just a fun car, no two ways about it plus service and parts are readily available. I think they made a turbocharged model for about two years. All in all a great choice.

My intermediated step was trying a sidecar rig and discovered I thoroughly enjoyed them. Practical - as far as motorcycles go - and fun. Original plan was to sell the Ural (fun but......) and add a sidecar to the CB when I was ready. We'll see.
 
nhawk7504_imp said:
I can't get in and out of sports cars anymore LOL. Too low. But fun!
Although I am 6'2" tall, the Rabbit was easy to get in and out of because the doors were wide, the seat high, and no roof to bump your head on. As there were no window frames on the door, you could lean on the door entering or leaving.

I wonder what a second hand Rabbit convertible cost? :rolleyes:
 
I thought the same thing; went to the dealer and much preferred the CX-9 Signature. Go figure.

The little Miata was OK, but I have a long frame and long legs and sitting up higher and the nice leather interior was to die for.

So I was a wee bit bummed because on one level the Miata is pretty cool, but I think in real life the SUV is a better fit. For me.

So don't test fit the CX-9 - you may be seduced!! :D
 
I currently have my CB and a 2016 Miata. The Miata makes me happy on the days I can't ride my bike. Whether you get the current one or any of the previous generations, I'm pretty sure you'll be happy you did. The S2000 is a great car too but I searched for several months and it was impossible to find one in SoCal that wasn't overpriced - too many S2K fanboys down here!

Here's mine:
92052710fb5add456a412610089fc163.jpg

c32b019194c418511805279d0818af52.jpg

4ebe1976d050e5307bff2d5da24551e5.jpg
 
I have both a 2001 SE Miata and a tricked out cb1100 and wouldn't sell either one. They both represent pinnacles of mechanical achievement. As others have said, the Miata wins on cold or wet days or when I need to carry stuff, but the CB......ah....and then there's the Sportster.....
 
Wow, great Miata reviews! Guess I'll have to go test drive one. Keeping The CB though. Haven't been without a bike for over 50 years. I think you'll miss the CB as well.

RLETS, Baby face Sliders, Staintune Slip-on, CB500 Mirrors, smaller led taillight, OEM rear rack, Guhl reflash, handlebar risers, Kawasaki Gaiters.
 
Thread starter
Guys, I really appreciate the comments and stories. Cool to hear how many of you do own, or have owned, a Miata.

There is a nice used one at a dealer close to home and I hope to check it out tomorrow and take a demo. To the person who told the story of going to look at the Miata and then ending up buying a CX-9, funny you should say that because I am also keen to see the new redesign of the CX-5. The CX-5 is probably the more reasonable and practical choice, right? But my main goal is fun. Will keep you all posted.
 
I'm also a huge fan of the S2000, enough to have one parked out front. But I agree with others: finding a clean one at a decent price is becoming increasingly difficult.
The Miata is a worthy alternative, but I'll throw you a curveball....have you considered a Jeep Wrangler?

With the roof and doors off, it's a very "lively" ride. Absolutely 100% fun, even if in a different way than a sports car. You can easily find one with a 6spd, and 4wd will always be nice for those Jersey winters; even take it to the beach if you want. Plus, you can continue to enjoy the wave to fellow owners that we all enjoy on our bikes.

If you haven't driven one, it's at least worth a test drive if you care to. Good luck!
 
Thread starter
Today gave me the opportunity to demo a 2012 Miata. Beautiful vehicle. Silver. Hard top that folds into the trunk. But . . . on the highway it was the noisiest vehicle I have ridden or driven in memory. Reminded me how much I value a smooth, refined, and quiet ride. May demo another one in the warmer weather, just for fun, but pretty sure I will not buy one. The CB1100 is looking like the more enjoyable and relaxing option!
 
I bought a 1990 silver Miata in 1994. I did this because I decided to quit riding bikes (four kids, wife, and debt). I sold my Moto Guzzi and a couple of years later I found the Miata. It is the closest you can get to riding a bike without being on two wheels. I could feel the change in temperature, and smell the pig farm a mile away. If you're good, you can really wind the transmission up and feel the curves. It gave me an emotional outlet until I retired and brought another bike. If you don't want a three wheeler, this is a great option.
 
Jim, the Jeep is a great suggestion - my friend has one and it really is great with the roof and doors off! Being able to take it camping, off-roading, and snowboarding is flippin' fantastic too.
 
Back
Top