Low resale value

obleo_imp said:
If you needed to finance it , should have waited and saved enough to pay cash. Don't let the borrower be a slave to the lender. Don't ask how I know that quote?
I know how you know that quote... and agree with you and him. :worship:
 
I kinda stopped reading around page number 4 because everyone keeps giving the same advise. And it's a good advise. Don't buy new unless you ready to either lose money or keep it for a loooong time.

I don't get the "pay cash" mentality here. I chose to finance about $4k of my bike because Honda Financial gave me 1.9% and because other than mortgage I have no credit whatsoever. I'm keeping this bike forever and my credit keeps going up instead of stagnating.
 
LikeAfox_imp said:
I kinda stopped reading around page number 4 because everyone keeps giving the same advise. And it's a good advise. Don't buy new unless you ready to either lose money or keep it for a loooong time.

I don't get the "pay cash" mentality here. I chose to finance about $4k of my bike because Honda Financial gave me 1.9% and because other than mortgage I have no credit whatsoever. I'm keeping this bike forever and my credit keeps going up instead of stagnating.
The "pay cash mentality" as you put it hit me when I got my first loan for a truck and saw how much I would end paying back over 5 years. It only got worse when I saw the same (only far worse) thing on my mortgage. I decided that money was far better in my pocket than someone else's. So my wife and I decided to always make do with what we had until we could pay cash for something new.

That's why I rode a 1984 Yamaha Virago 1000 (with the gold trim) from '91-02. At 6'1" and change it was terribly uncomfortable and long rides almost crippled me but it was I could afford.
 
If one can borrow at a rate that is less than they can earn, then of course it can make sense to finance. My only issue with financing, aside from the interest, is that the lender has a lien on your asset and can require you to fully insure it, which gets expensive. I prefer to carry liability and uninsured motorist coverage only and not carry property or comp and collision coverage, even with a high deductible. I pay the premiums to myself instead and self-insure.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
If one can borrow at a rate that is less than they can earn, then of course it can make sense to finance. My only issue with financing, aside from the interest, is that the lender has a lien on your asset and can require you to fully insure it, which gets expensive. I prefer to carry liability and uninsured motorist coverage only and not carry property or comp and collision coverage, even with a high deductible. I pay the premiums to myself instead and self-insure.
I do exactly the same thing! I've never paid for more than basic insurance since that first loan.
 
I also only have the basic insurance needed by law, even on brand new bikes.
We have high deductibles on car and house insurance , do not be insurance poor and do not use your house insurance for house maintenance.
 
Here in Canada basic insurance (as I understand it anyway, I am by no means an insurance expert) is public liability only as in if I get sued I'm covered. That's about it, I have no collision, theft or fire protection on any of my 10 vehicles.

If I smash it, burn it or lose it the cost is on me.

My house is different of course.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I guess I have to ask what you all define as “basic” insurance.
I define "basic" insurance as the insurance you HAVE to HAVE in the state you live , every state has some difference in the amounts .
I live in NC and this is different than when we lived in Upstate NY.
I never have theft, fire or comprehensive insurance on any of my bikes , that risk I can take myself.
Have been with Progressive for over 30 years , never put in a claim yet and pay about $ 80 for each of my 3 bikes.
My insurance in New York was much cheaper for the following reasons :
shorter riding season , safer roads than WNC and less tourists
Insurance companies know more about you than you think.
Having good credit also lowers your insurance rates , less likely to put a claim in for something.
One of my farmer customers in Upstate NY always wanted to "break even " on his insurance premiums by putting claims in for something.
I warned him that sooner or later nobody wanted to insure him and that happened after changing companies 5 times in 7 years.
 
"Basic" and "Have to have in the state" are not very accurate terms, actually. I believe that all 50 states have mandatory vehicle insurance laws in place. To me, "basic" means the minimum limits of liability allowed in a particular state. Is that what you are saying you do, Houtman and W/R?
 
EmptySea_imp said:
"Basic" and "Have to have in the state" are not very accurate terms, actually. I believe that all 50 states have mandatory vehicle insurance laws in place. To me, "basic" means the minimum limits of liability allowed in a particular state. Is that what you are saying you do, Houtman and W/R?
Close but not quite although I think the difference is the definition of basic, as you identified.

Here the term "basic" is as I stated - public liability only, nothing else - but you can different levels of liability coverage. The "bare minimum" and up.

I have basic coverage but I pay for a higher level of liability. Again, I have no idea if these are the technical terms used by the ins industry or local slang.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
"Basic" and "Have to have in the state" are not very accurate terms, actually. I believe that all 50 states have mandatory vehicle insurance laws in place. To me, "basic" means the minimum limits of liability allowed in a particular state. Is that what you are saying you do, Houtman and W/R?
Yes , that is what I mean with basic :the minimum the law in my state requires.
 
Thanks W/R. I am an insurance agent and was a little concerned because it appeared that advice might have been provided in this thread that encouraged carrying minimum limits of liability. In most US states, that minimum limit is $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident with $15,000 of property damage (of others) liability. Many people refer to this as "Basic" coverage. Advising someone to carry coverage limits that meager would be irresponsible.

The above was posted prior to my seeing Houtman's response:

Carrying the state required minimum limit of coverage is stupid and irresponsible. It is, of course, your prerogative to do so, but you are putting those assets you accumulated by not financing your purchases at risk. Worse, in my opinion, is that if you happened to injure someone severely, you may not have enough assets to pay for the injuries you caused. It doesn't even have to be THAT severe of an injury, either. For example, my wife broke her leg in a motorcycle accident and the total medical cost ran about $60,000. The cost of repairing the bike was about $3000. I don't know what NC's minimum limits are, but it's safe to assume they are similar to IL's. If you had caused her injury, that would leave you with a bill of about $35,000 due pretty much immediately. If you had put her in a wheelchair for the rest of her life, your bill would be, ohhh $2,000,000 maybe?
 
I fully understand that as an insurance agent you have to give the best advise for that particular person.
Right or wrong I am willing to take some risks but also have a million umbrella policy.
 
Your million umbrella will not kick in (in most cases) until you or the underlying insurance vehicle insurance policy pays $500,000 (sometimes it's $300,000). If you are carrying, say $25,000 liability on your motorcycle policy, you will be personally responsible for the $475,000 difference.
 
MTC, I fully agree. $250k/$500k liability on all of my vehicles, plus a $2mm umbrella. I would also recommend similar limits for uninsured / underinsured coverage.
 
I would have to dig out my ins files but my liability coverage is in the neighborhood of $3-5,000,000. I can't remember the minimum but I think it is around $500,000. Also liability laws are different in Canada than the US.

I should add that most of my vehicles are older and not really worth very much so full coverage just doesn't make sense to me.
 
Insuring the value of your vehicles is optional (except if you're financing) and, if you can afford to fix it immediately out of pocket or live without the vehicle while you save up to pay for the repairs, it could be prudent to go without this coverage. The key thing is that you know the cost of the potential loss. It is impossible to quantify the cost of the damage you could cause to another person.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Your million umbrella will not kick in (in most cases) until you or the underlying insurance vehicle insurance policy pays $500,000 (sometimes it's $300,000). If you are carrying, say $25,000 liability on your motorcycle policy, you will be personally responsible for the $475,000 difference.
My umbrella kicks in as soon as the limit for the individual liability has been reached.
 
Back
Top