Loving our bike(s) vs. internet trolls

Papa Weeley_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Wow, I was just thinking about what a great bunch we've got here: friendly, helpful, funny members, eager to lend a hand or their knowledge for others, etc.,...when I got caught up in an interesting thread that I hadn't seen before (that was started about 2 1/2 years ago, and was recently raised from the dead). In the midst of it all, I was blown away by nasty remarks from a long-gone member here. Just to clarify my impression, and to verify that he wasn't just having a bad day here, I checked his other posts, and found that yup, they're almost all of the same vitriolic B.S., quite often directed at, or regarding the CB1100.
I'm sure Mr. Ferret has some fond memories of him by the looks of things... "Calamarichris". (I invite you to run a search on him and luxuriate in his own special brand of douchebaggery yourself.)
Woweee, what an a**-hat!
Even after all of these years, being active on many, many different forums, it still just amazes me, how some people compose themselves...the attitude, the insults, the "know-it-all" approach...oy. Can you imagine hanging out, or riding with a guy like this? You just KNOW people like this have ZERO friends whatsoever in real life, and feel they can get away with acting like a complete douche online without having to deal with any real consequences. But you have to wonder just exactly WHAT they're thinking with that kind of behavior? They must get some kind of thrill out of it. And if that's truly how they make themselves somehow feel "superior" to the rest of mankind, I can't feel much other than pity for the miserable excuse of a life they must have.
Just wow.
Really glad I missed out on his 140-post, two-month-long presence here...it allows me to carry on with my (nearly) 100% positive impression of my fellow members. :D
 
PW...the CB1100 FORUM is a VERY civil site to be sure. I occasionally frequent another bike site for the other brand I own and by and large the vibe there is MUCH different. To the point were I post very infrequently now. Guys with 3K+ posts will implode at the drop of a hat (and I've seen this more than just a couple of times) while a small group of long timers snide remarks about this and that detract from the overall whole in my estimation. Part of that may be the sheer numbers there. I appreciate the firm, fair hand used here by our moderators EARLY-ON, on the RARE occasion when things just start going south. You need quality folks to have a quality site. We have both here.
 
I think a lot of the decorum around this place has to do with the generally older demographic that both owns these bikes and are members here. That's not to say that some are not younger, but for the most part I find that to be the case.
I also see a totally different mind set with sport bike riders in general. And with those you have the sub-set that are stunters, and to be honest, I really don't care for them all that much. The way they tend to post is reflected in the way they ride....with total disregard for everyone else for their own gratification.

These are just my observations....YMMV.
 
It does always amaze me how some people comport themselves online. We have several local forums and Facebook groups where people just dump on one another. The funny thing about them is the groups are small and local enough that almost everyone knows who everyone is in real life and sees them in person regularly, yet none of the stuff carries over.

I think the CB Forum is kind of a reverse case of broken windows theory -- everyone is so civil to one another that newcomers kind of get the message to keep it nice or be ostracized.
 
LOl we get one every once in awhile that make thing... um... interesting around here. Still this group is mostly self moderating, friendly, helpful, funny and just a joy to be around both in person (rallies and meet ups) and anonymously on the web. Only 1 legitimate member has been banned here that I recall (no it wasn't chris, believe it or not we have had worse lol) and one person was blocked. We have had to have a private discussion with a few, and we have had a few voluntarily leave BECAUSE of the civility here. Not bad in 3 1/2 years. I credit that to the nature of the bike and the median age of the posters. A more gentlemanly bike for a more gentlemanly crowd, and the fact that it's pretty evident up front what the administrator wanted for of the site and a little enforcement from the moderators.

I think it's awesome we can have gear threads and lane sharing threads, and yes even the occasional oil thread here that don't get dirty, ballistic or nasty. Good, honest discussions with knowledgeable people making valid points on all sides. Good stuff. It makes me proud.. of you guys!

Promise, we will do our best to keep it that way. Carry on ...............
 
Now where did I put all of those unexploded incendiary devices.........

:D
 
Well, thank you PW for distracting me from my workday with the miscellaneous and misanthropic ramblings of Calamarichris. His posts have added anecdotal evidence to my still-forming theorem that a person's douchebaggedness quotient (DQ) increases in proportion to the number of times that person quotes "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"
 
Thread starter
:thumbsup:
And I have to add here that not only is the great ambience around here due to just the higher caliber of members, but as Frulk mentioned, also to the very fair hand of our moderators and the site's originator/administrator.

Yay us. I'm off to the doctor now - I believe I've dislocated my shoulder patting myself on the back... :D
EmptySea_imp said:
Well, thank you PW for distracting me from my workday with the miscellaneous and misanthropic ramblings of Calamarichris. His posts have added anecdotal evidence to my still-forming theorem that a person's douchebaggedness quotient (DQ) increases in proportion to the number of times that person quotes "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Yes, I literally laughed out loud over that one! Touche', good sir!
 
I'm continually amazed by the sheer number of quality topics and courteous contributors on this forum, considering it's dedicated to one limited production, short-lived, niche motorcycle from one manufacturer. There are other forums, devoted to entire model runs or brands, that don't have this much activity. The BMW F800 forum comes to mind, but there are others too. My helmet's off to the good folks here.
 
I just want to add my :thumbsup: :thumbsup: to the positive remarks made here.
This is indeed a one-of-a-kind forum when it comes to the civility, good humor and willingness to help shown every day.
As has been suggested, most of us are "of a certain age" and don't have to prove anything to anybody by getting involved in p*****g contests with fellow members.
Give yourselves a pat on the back everyone :clap:
 
As a relatively recently joined member here, I think this forum is the best. I think this is in part because it is narrowly focused on basically one motorcycle make and model. Also, I believe there are many other members here a lot like me, i.e. older guys - perhaps retired - with a lot of years of overall motorcycling experiences. Out of curiosity, I'll start a new (polling) thread to find out the average age of members.
 
I will jump on the back slapping bandwagon, because I used to be a member of several Harley Davidson Forums, and FB groups, and can attest to the overall negativity that seems to prevail on them. I am a new member here, but so far this seems to be the most enjoyable, and helpful group that I have come across. I can honestly say as a new CB1100 owner, I really think this group will add to my overall ownership experience. I look forward to logging on to see if there are any new threads. The only thing that seems to befuddle me is that I have tried a million times to upload an avatar pic, and no matter what I do it comes out upside down:))))
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Well, thank you PW for distracting me from my workday with the miscellaneous and misanthropic ramblings of Calamarichris. His posts have added anecdotal evidence to my still-forming theorem that a person's douchebaggedness quotient (DQ) increases in proportion to the number of times that person quotes "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"
Very good calculus there. Phaedrus, my arse!
Papa Weeley_imp said:
Wow, I was just thinking about what a great bunch we've got here: friendly, helpful, funny members, eager to lend a hand or their knowledge for others, etc.,...when I got caught up in an interesting thread that I hadn't seen before (that was started about 2 1/2 years ago, and was recently raised from the dead). In the midst of it all, I was blown away by nasty remarks from a long-gone member here. Just to clarify my impression, and to verify that he wasn't just having a bad day here, I checked his other posts, and found that yup, they're almost all of the same vitriolic B.S., quite often directed at, or regarding the CB1100.
I'm sure Mr. Ferret has some fond memories of him by the looks of things... "Calamarichris". (I invite you to run a search on him and luxuriate in his own special brand of douchebaggery yourself.)
Woweee, what an a**-hat!
Even after all of these years, being active on many, many different forums, it still just amazes me, how some people compose themselves...the attitude, the insults, the "know-it-all" approach...oy. Can you imagine hanging out, or riding with a guy like this? You just KNOW people like this have ZERO friends whatsoever in real life, and feel they can get away with acting like a complete douche online without having to deal with any real consequences. But you have to wonder just exactly WHAT they're thinking with that kind of behavior? They must get some kind of thrill out of it. And if that's truly how they make themselves somehow feel "superior" to the rest of mankind, I can't feel much other than pity for the miserable excuse of a life they must have.
Just wow.
Really glad I missed out on his 140-post, two-month-long presence here...it allows me to carry on with my (nearly) 100% positive impression of my fellow members. :D
Remember some of those posts as a lurker. Provocative to say the least.
I think forums are all gradually getting much more civil. I know I voluntarily stopped posting the the ZX-10R forum for four months because of some just silly stuff. Now I am back on, no problems at all. I still got a couple of guys on my ignore list there but none here, lol.
 
It takes a core group that set a certain demeanor with moderators that enforce that attitude when needed. I'm more in the background at an astronomy forum I used to be much more active in (and helped run) and folks think very highly of it.

Some days it's work, but if the core group sets a good example, uses positive reinforcement vs. using a large hammer. People notice things like that and will take cues for their future posts. It's hard to do some days and let me tell you; almost impossible to practice shutupedness when needed (a word invented by one of our fearless leaders) but many times, refusing to post can be more important than posting. :D

Another mod/admin posted some wisdom early in our forum: Do not be quick to take offense, do not be quick to give offense.

I got nothing original to add though. :D
 
I'd even venture to see that the younger guys on here that are attracted to a classic motorcycle like the CB1100 are of a different cut than the young guys that are into "crotch rockets". I'm 43 now but even when I started riding at 28 sport bikes never really appealed to me, although I appreciate the cutting edge technology. Maybe we have "old souls". Lol. I've always had an affinity for retro cars and motorcycles.
 
Cormanus, Any advice on why Dad's avatar pic is posting upside down?
 
Back
Top