Loving our bike(s) vs. internet trolls

No, I don't popgun. I remember it happening to me once and taking ages to fix it, but I don't remember now how I did it.

I've downloaded it and re-uploaded it and it remains upside down. I'll have a play and see if I can find a way to flip it for our dad.



Imagine spinning disk while computer works away ...



Bingo!

I loaded it into a very simple photo editing program, flipped it and re-saved it. Unfortunately I can't use my moderator superpowers to substitute it for regularworkingdad, although he may have decided he likes the view from there.

RWD, if you want to change it, try downloading the image I've rotated and re-uploading it as your avatar.
 
I think he owned an RC51 which turned him into a "full fledged Honda hater" (I believe those were his words), and a W650 Kaw which he thought was the best bikeon the planet. he also apparently had a Kawasaki sport bike according to the pics in the link Cormanus provided. He said Honda made "disposacyles" or something like that because they would last past 50,000 miles.

edit now that I think about it it was "disposabikes"
 
Maybe the old Honda ad is true: "You meet the nicest people on a Honda..."
:)
By the way, even though I don't go around quoting it, and was quite surprised to find out what the book was actually about, I have read Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance a few times and really love it. Could my DQ be out of control without me even knowing it? :)
But seriously, I too must echo all the kind words here. Great advice, encouragement and respect all around. It's the one forum I look forward to reading everyday...hitting "View Today's Posts" and scrolling through everything with my morning coffee is one of my favorite things to do.
 
Rboe_imp said:
It takes a core group that set a certain demeanor with moderators that enforce that attitude when needed. I'm more in the background at an astronomy forum I used to be much more active in (and helped run) and folks think very highly of it.

Some days it's work, but if the core group sets a good example, uses positive reinforcement vs. using a large hammer. People notice things like that and will take cues for their future posts. It's hard to do some days and let me tell you; almost impossible to practice shutupedness when needed (a word invented by one of our fearless leaders) but many times, refusing to post can be more important than posting. :D

Another mod/admin posted some wisdom early in our forum: Do not be quick to take offense, do not be quick to give offense.

I got nothing original to add though. :D
This is the key in my mind.

Many here are aware that the conversations that take place on this forum grew from a single thread over on the advrider forum. [url=http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2013-honda-cb1100.820439/page-40#post-20481843]Here is where I joined that discussion. I really enjoyed that conversation and didn't want to see it end. Back when that thread started, there wasn't a CB1100 forum to be found, so I decided to try my hand at starting one.

I had experienced "forum fatigue" elsewhere where the dialogue had become far too caustic and had little to do with the core subject. i figured it would be worth a shot to create a place where the tone was a bit different and the subject matter was pretty narrow in it's focus (thankfully quite a few others seemingly agree). Fortunately a number of folks from that first conversation over on the advrider forum joined up here (including some guy named The other Ferret, lol). The end result is this thing that we all are now participating in together.

Rboe_imp said:
This too — my post count would probably be close to double what I have now if it wasn't for pre-moderating myself. :cool:
 
Well Guth, I for one am glad you started this forum. I could never get signed up on adv and the UK CBForum was not all that active. But it was what there was. And as you know, I signed up here as soon as I saw it turned on. Thanks again.

I have to say, I don't like the caustic dialogs on adv (but I do lurk there) and like the fact that we can discuss things here without being flamed. And even when we do get flamed it is just in jest :) Like this: I'm still taking credit for Ferret for getting to be moderator as I nominated him first! (Not that I have any say whatsoever... ;) ) OK, maybe that wasn't much of a flame.
 
Thanks, Guth. Your link led me to this great picture.

 
What's so great about it? There are no RLETS! (is that a flame?)

J/K Cormanus, please don't ban me!
 
Guth_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
It takes a core group that set a certain demeanor with moderators that enforce that attitude when needed. I'm more in the background at an astronomy forum I used to be much more active in (and helped run) and folks think very highly of it.

Some days it's work, but if the core group sets a good example, uses positive reinforcement vs. using a large hammer. People notice things like that and will take cues for their future posts. It's hard to do some days and let me tell you; almost impossible to practice shutupedness when needed (a word invented by one of our fearless leaders) but many times, refusing to post can be more important than posting. :D

Another mod/admin posted some wisdom early in our forum: Do not be quick to take offense, do not be quick to give offense.

I got nothing original to add though. :D
This is the key in my mind.

Many here are aware that the conversations that take place on this forum grew from a single thread over on the advrider forum. [url=http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2013-honda-cb1100.820439/page-40#post-20481843]Here is where I joined that discussion. I really enjoyed that conversation and didn't want to see it end. Back when that thread started, there wasn't a CB1100 forum to be found, so I decided to try my hand at starting one.

I had experienced "forum fatigue" elsewhere where the dialogue had become far too caustic and had little to do with the core subject. i figured it would be worth a shot to create a place where the tone was a bit different and the subject matter was pretty narrow in it's focus (thankfully quite a few others seemingly agree). Fortunately a number of folks from that first conversation over on the advrider forum joined up here (including some guy named The other Ferret, lol). The end result is this thing that we all are now participating in together.

Rboe_imp said:
This too — my post count would probably be close to double what I have now if it wasn't for pre-moderating myself. :cool:

This is the key in my mind.

Many here are aware that the conversations that take place on this forum grew from a [url=http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2013-honda-cb1100.820439/]single thread over on the advrider forum. [url=http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2013-honda-cb1100.820439/page-40#post-20481843]Here is where I joined that discussion. I really enjoyed that conversation and didn't want to see it end. Back when that thread started, there wasn't a CB1100 forum to be found, so I decided to try my hand at starting one.

I had experienced "forum fatigue" elsewhere where the dialogue had become far too caustic and had little to do with the core subject. i figured it would be worth a shot to create a place where the tone was a bit different and the subject matter was pretty narrow in it's focus (thankfully quite a few others seemingly agree). Fortunately a number of folks from that first conversation over on the advrider forum joined up here (including some guy named The other Ferret, lol). The end result is this thing that we all are now participating in together.

Rboe_imp said:
This too — my post count would probably be close to double what I have now if it wasn't for pre-moderating myself. :cool: That explains everything. Go to tumblr or buzzfeed for the shouting matches. Or so I am told by my millenial friends.
 
kvdv_imp said:
Maybe the old Honda ad is true: "You meet the nicest people on a Honda..."
:)
By the way, even though I don't go around quoting it, and was quite surprised to find out what the book was actually about, I have read Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance a few times and really love it. Could my DQ be out of control without me even knowing it? :)
But seriously, I too must echo all the kind words here. Great advice, encouragement and respect all around. It's the one forum I look forward to reading everyday...hitting "View Today's Posts" and scrolling through everything with my morning coffee is one of my favorite things to do.
I have read it and enjoyed it, too. The key is that you're not quoting it much. My extensive research is showing something of a parabolic arch, DQ increasing at an increasing rate with every additional quote. I suspect you're fine...just watch yourself mister.
 
Just as well I looked back through the posts. Google told me DQ was Diary Queen. :P

popgun, you're forgiven.

This time. :D
 
I was a member of the NC700 forum for the 10 months I owned the bike, my first. Not a bad forum. I take it's proportional to the machine. I don't think anybody that rides a NC suffers from airs of grandeur or badass complex.

I came here when I decided the CB was the one for me, and it was very evident that this place is one of utmost civility. My first impression was "what a bunch of cool old dudes!" :D

I have no experience in any other motorbike fora. However, my other hobby/side biz has taken me to web places that bring out the worst in people. For some reason too many that have read an article in Guns & Ammo and fired a .22lr single shot rifle at a can of beer ipso facto become firearm experts and tactical gurus. There the constant pseudo testosterone jolts lead to the most disrespectful and ungracious interactions. The culprits we call keyboard commandos.

I'm glad I found this place and most of the people that come with it. Gotta confess it makes the experience of owning my awesome bike so much more enjoyable.

Salud! :beerchug:
 
Thank you for the no ban Cormanus :worship:

I'll try again: Teenage girls are usually the Diary Queens, but Dairy Queens have good milkshakes! :P :D
 
:rofl:

Brace yourself popgun!
 
Cormanus_imp said:
No, I don't popgun. I remember it happening to me once and taking ages to fix it, but I don't remember now how I did it.

I've downloaded it and re-uploaded it and it remains upside down. I'll have a play and see if I can find a way to flip it for our dad.



Imagine spinning disk while computer works away ...



Bingo!

I loaded it into a very simple photo editing program, flipped it and re-saved it. Unfortunately I can't use my moderator superpowers to substitute it for regularworkingdad, although he may have decided he likes the view from there.

RWD, if you want to change it, try downloading the image I've rotated and re-uploading it as your avatar.
I thought it would appear right side up to you George.
 
Watch out Redbirds or you'll be joining me in band camp :)
 
Must say I thought RandyB had dibs on upside down jokes. You're slowing down, mate.

Popgun, be careful, I'm about to propose to Guth that people with 3950 posts and a username beginning with pop automatically be appointed as moderators.
 
Hummm, trying to figure out how to answer that without getting to 3950 Hummmm :D

Edit: Darn it. Didn't work.
 
Congratulations! :thumbsup:
 
What is refreshing about THIS forum is that the average post(er) exemplifies a strong command of the English language, where literacy of the written language is quite evident. Occasionally, there is something posted here with grammatical errors, but on other forums there are all too many examples of bad grammar, misspellings, run on sentences, run on paragraphs, no structure, etc. This reflects badly on the general membership at large when there are so many poorly written posts. Over here on THIS forum, we simply have higher standards.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Thanks, Guth. Your link led me to this great picture.
Wow! Those headers are amazing!
They must be modeled after the old CB400F pipes.

Back to the thread subject, this is one of my favorite forums due to the civility and lack of drama & snark.

All I know is that at this age, I'm not out to win races or win approval. I just want to ride. And I think most of the people here are of the same mindset.
 
Back
Top