Live to Ride...Ride to Eat

that is some good stuff Stichill and gang as i love good food.
working on a curve ball right now ............. stand by
 
Thread starter
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Nothing like a good Aussie Pub Shnitty. Goes well with beer. And more beer. Always a favourite on a long ride.




Cheers


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks amazing! Is that pork or chicken?
Nortoon_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Thanks, suhawk! :thanks:
Cormanus_imp said:
Great report Stichill. I really like railway structures too, particularly that they don’t seem to need guard rails of any description. Not that it would be easy to make one strong enough to stop a falling train.
In my misspent youth I trespassed on many railroad properties and rights-of-way. One of them was this viaduct:

e7c6b34966706718a82b8b1dff8028c8.jpg


It was a busy double-tracked mainline heading north-south on the eastern seaboard of the US. The only refuge for a human on foot was found at every third arch support, where a shallow rectangular bump-out was located that had five-foot / 152 cm walls around it. There were many occasions where I literally ran for my life to one of them. One was never more than one-and-a-half arches away from safety, but in some instances the closest refuge meant that you had to run toward the oncoming train.

The default option in the event that making it to a bump-out wasn't possible was to leap onto the other track. Which wasn't a bad option, provided there wasn't another train on it or approaching. Thankfully, I never had to jump onto the other track and always made it safely to a bump-out. The welded rails would quietly "sing" a few moments before the train appeared, so there was plenty of notice if you were vigilant. I have to say: even motorcycling cannot compare to the rush of running away from an oncoming freight train and then standing three feet / 1 m away from the thundering locomotive and rushing cars as they roared past.
In the old days of wooden trestles these small platforms held water barrels in case the sparks from a steam engine ignited the creosote on the ties. No need for them on this concrete structure, so they must be preplanned for mischievous kids.

I walked a smaller trestle when I was 10 while fishing with friends.

They would always cross it quicker and start yelling train. I was so terrified of it, I had recurring dreams about falling off of it. It occurred so often I finally said to myself during a fall "you're dreaming". I woke up just as I felt the impact of hitting the rocks in the rapids. Took a while for my eyes to adjust enough to have me realize I was in my own bedroom. Never had that dream again.

That trestle is now part of the Carleton University Campus and has regular light rail passenger trains crossing it. Sure looked bigger to a 10 year old than the photo.
Maybe they were there for storing equipment of some kind (track maintenance tools), or refuge for legitimate track workers.

Nortoon_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Thanks, suhawk! :thanks:
Cormanus_imp said:
Great report Stichill. I really like railway structures too, particularly that they don’t seem to need guard rails of any description. Not that it would be easy to make one strong enough to stop a falling train.
In my misspent youth I trespassed on many railroad properties and rights-of-way. One of them was this viaduct:

e7c6b34966706718a82b8b1dff8028c8.jpg


It was a busy double-tracked mainline heading north-south on the eastern seaboard of the US. The only refuge for a human on foot was found at every third arch support, where a shallow rectangular bump-out was located that had five-foot / 152 cm walls around it. There were many occasions where I literally ran for my life to one of them. One was never more than one-and-a-half arches away from safety, but in some instances the closest refuge meant that you had to run toward the oncoming train.

The default option in the event that making it to a bump-out wasn't possible was to leap onto the other track. Which wasn't a bad option, provided there wasn't another train on it or approaching. Thankfully, I never had to jump onto the other track and always made it safely to a bump-out. The welded rails would quietly "sing" a few moments before the train appeared, so there was plenty of notice if you were vigilant. I have to say: even motorcycling cannot compare to the rush of running away from an oncoming freight train and then standing three feet / 1 m away from the thundering locomotive and rushing cars as they roared past.
In the old days of wooden trestles these small platforms held water barrels in case the sparks from a steam engine ignited the creosote on the ties. No need for them on this concrete structure, so they must be preplanned for mischievous kids.

I walked a smaller trestle when I was 10 while fishing with friends.

They would always cross it quicker and start yelling train. I was so terrified of it, I had recurring dreams about falling off of it. It occurred so often I finally said to myself during a fall "you're dreaming". I woke up just as I felt the impact of hitting the rocks in the rapids. Took a while for my eyes to adjust enough to have me realize I was in my own bedroom. Never had that dream again.

That trestle is now part of the Carleton University Campus and has regular light rail passenger trains crossing it. Sure looked bigger to a 10 year old than the photo.
I had those dreams too! Usually about one of my more klutzy buddies not making it, and me seeing them plunge over the side and onto the rocks below.
Cormanus_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Thanks, suhawk! :thanks:
Cormanus_imp said:
Great report Stichill. I really like railway structures too, particularly that they don’t seem to need guard rails of any description. Not that it would be easy to make one strong enough to stop a falling train.
In my misspent youth I trespassed on many railroad properties and rights-of-way. One of them was this viaduct:

e7c6b34966706718a82b8b1dff8028c8.jpg


It was a busy double-tracked mainline heading north-south on the eastern seaboard of the US. The only refuge for a human on foot was found at every third arch support, where a shallow rectangular bump-out was located that had five-foot / 152 cm walls around it. There were many occasions where I literally ran for my life to one of them. One was never more than one-and-a-half arches away from safety, but in some instances the closest refuge meant that you had to run toward the oncoming train.

The default option in the event that making it to a bump-out wasn't possible was to leap onto the other track. Which wasn't a bad option, provided there wasn't another train on it or approaching. Thankfully, I never had to jump onto the other track and always made it safely to a bump-out. The welded rails would quietly "sing" a few moments before the train appeared, so there was plenty of notice if you were vigilant. I have to say: even motorcycling cannot compare to the rush of running away from an oncoming freight train and then standing three feet / 1 m away from the thundering locomotive and rushing cars as they roared past.
I can’t imagine it. You’re a braver man than me.

I do remember putting a 1¢ coin on a rail track and, after a train had passed, finding it fused into the track. I can’t think how, but I’m sure my memory is correct.
You're a smarter man than me! It was foolhardy but youth feels immortal.

Cormanus_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Thanks, suhawk! :thanks:
Cormanus_imp said:
Great report Stichill. I really like railway structures too, particularly that they don’t seem to need guard rails of any description. Not that it would be easy to make one strong enough to stop a falling train.
In my misspent youth I trespassed on many railroad properties and rights-of-way. One of them was this viaduct:

e7c6b34966706718a82b8b1dff8028c8.jpg


It was a busy double-tracked mainline heading north-south on the eastern seaboard of the US. The only refuge for a human on foot was found at every third arch support, where a shallow rectangular bump-out was located that had five-foot / 152 cm walls around it. There were many occasions where I literally ran for my life to one of them. One was never more than one-and-a-half arches away from safety, but in some instances the closest refuge meant that you had to run toward the oncoming train.

The default option in the event that making it to a bump-out wasn't possible was to leap onto the other track. Which wasn't a bad option, provided there wasn't another train on it or approaching. Thankfully, I never had to jump onto the other track and always made it safely to a bump-out. The welded rails would quietly "sing" a few moments before the train appeared, so there was plenty of notice if you were vigilant. I have to say: even motorcycling cannot compare to the rush of running away from an oncoming freight train and then standing three feet / 1 m away from the thundering locomotive and rushing cars as they roared past.
I can’t imagine it. You’re a braver man than me.

I do remember putting a 1¢ coin on a rail track and, after a train had passed, finding it fused into the track. I can’t think how, but I’m sure my memory is correct.
Cool. We used to do that to but were able to pick them up easily. Maybe if the track isn't smooth enough it gets fused in place.
offroadfx4_imp said:
Wow Stichill....that would be a rush! As with many past events, it's funny now because you lived to tell about it Lol
Yes, indeed. Some never live to tell the tale...
 
Thread starter
Today was a perfectly glorious day to ride! I had planned to do chores around the house and yard, but decided the weather was just too beautiful to waste on anything other than riding.

I don't get over to Indiana enough, because my favorite parts are pretty far away and it's an all-day trip. Plus in the summertime it can be hot over there in the open country. So at 9:00 am I was rolling out the driveway in sunshine with low humidity and 68 °F / 20 °C.

First stop was...for gasoline. Second stop was Granny's Home Cooking in Vevay, Indiana along the Ohio River.

aa6c56749ef5ffb17df8e2179017ec5d.jpg

Two eggs over easy, two sausage patties, grits, white toast, Diet Coke

Upon leaving Granny's, the temperature had risen to 77 °F / 25 °C. I removed the wind liner in my mesh jacket.

Rural Southern Indiana (offroad's back yard) is very pleasant riding. There's a good mix of wooded and open areas, and a mix of flat and hilly terrain. The farms are generally well kept and there are tidy single-story residences along many roads and byways. In general, Indianans make less of a mess than we Kentuckians.

3ae48a2e05aab8b3b933fad01705a441.jpg

Typical Southern Indiana crossroads

I found this covered bridge at Leota.

314a3e14cc79cb266e61f454db9b7305.jpg

The sign reads in part "Leota Covered Bridge Over Cooney Creek - 1995"

Here's what I love about riding in Southern Indiana...just west of Leota I was surprised and delighted to find this twisty little bit through a wooded area. With fresh asphalt it was a delight to zoom along though here.

efb71dad713708c43b37f258b5779064.jpg

Approximate location

Shortly after the twisty wooded bit, the road became perfectly straight and ran up and down right over the terrain instead of following it the way we do in Kentucky. You get a real sense of "roller coaster" along stretches like this, however the very real possibility of running into something slow or stationary on the other side of these blind hills cautions against too much throttle.


I'm in a dip after a hill, heading toward another hill, dip, and yet another hill in the distance.
[url=https://goo.gl/maps/6NskQABnQo52]Approximate location

I was amazed that the bike's thermometer remained stuck on 77 °F / 25 °C. I was wondering how long such perfection could possibly last.

I puzzled over these marks on the road for a couple of miles, until it dawned on me what they could be. Later on, my deduction was validated.


Any guesses as to what kind of road-going equipment leaves marks like this?

I just had to stop and get a photo of this unusually impressive old barn.


It's covered in a type of pressed steel siding made to resemble blocks of stone.
This kind of material has probably been out of production since the 1920s.

I rolled through the town of West Baden Springs. Suddenly there was a look of money. The infrastructure of the streets, sidewalks, and street lighting was new and of high quality. Suddenly I caught a glimpse of something unusual poking through the treetops on my right.


A structure of some significance...

On the right was a grand entrance. At this point, I'm still not sure what it is.


Whatever it is...it seems rather auspicious.

To my great surprise, it was a historic grand hotel called the West Baden Springs Hotel.


Built in 1902, it was once billed as [url=http://www.historichotels.org/hotels-resorts/west-baden-springs-hotel/history.php]"The Eighth Wonder of the World" and boasted the world's largest dome during that time.


Formal gardens. Suddenly I feel as if I've been transported to the gardens at [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schönbrunn_Palace]Schönbrunn.

By now it's well after 1:00pm EDST and I've got another 45 minutes' riding to reach my intended lunch destination. The thermometer finally nudged upward again to 80 °F / 27 °C. Still extremely pleasant.

At last I arrived at my luncheon spot. Offroad had posted about it I believe: the Schnitzelbank in Jasper.


[url=https://www.schnitzelbank.com]Schnitzelbank
I was hoping that spaetzle would be on the menu and it was. Ideally, it would be served with pork cutlets, mushrooms, and gravy but alas it was served with beef goulash. Essentially, beef stew with carrots just like (American) moms make at home. Well, just like moms make except way saltier. So salty, in fact, that I was glad that the hot potato salad was kind of sweet-sour. I was able to mix a little potato salad with the stew & noodles and make it somewhat palatable. If I ever return, I think I'll try one of the wurst platters.


The standard tossed salad with bleu cheese was a good starter.


Beef goulash over machine-made spaetzle with a side of hot potato salad. Yes to the hot potato salad, no to the goulash.

The whole place is kind of retro-kitchy. Very popular with the older crowd and Harley riders. It's like an American's idea of Germany who never went there and only heard stories from their mom and dad about their great grandfather who came over in 1892.


Teach yourself German in the bar.

On the way out I couldn't resist taking a picture of this item hanging in the gift shop. It's one of those things that shouldn't exist in a sane world, but somehow finds a paying customer base anyway.


Mrs. Stichill thinks these are sold to people who like to dress up in Bavarian costumes and want an easy way to dress the baby as well.
Maybe...it's still too weird for me to handle. :rofl:

It was after 3:00pm when I stepped out of the dark restaurant into the blinding sunlight. The temperature had risen to 87 ° / 31 °C and it was feeling warm. I decided to slab the 164 mi / 264 km home. I stopped for gas on the way out of town and made one rest stop east of Louisville. I rolled back into my garage a few minutes after 6:00pm, a total of 327 mi / 526 km on the trip odometer.
 
What a great report. Thanks so much Stichill. Pity about the goulash.

Did the machine have caterpillar tracks?

I also really like the barn, and the hotel is amazing. Probably worth giving it a shot for lunch one day.

Oh ... and the onesie is way too weird. But thanks for recording it for posterity. I’d like to think a lack of demand will drive them from the shelves.
 
Thread starter
You’re welcome, Cormanus. It’s almost as fun to write about these rides as it is to take them, ha ha! Great suggestion to try the hotel for lunch! I will have to do that for sure.

The tracks were made by....Amish horse-drawn buggies. Indiana has a lot of Amish communities. One pair of buggy riders gave me friendly waves when I coasted by as quietly as I could with clutch in and engine idling, as did an Amish farmer working his crops close to the road.
 
So, it’s the horses that leave the marks?
 
Indiana has a lot of Amish communities. One pair of buggy riders gave me friendly waves when I coasted by as quietly as I could with clutch in and engine idling, as did an Amish farmer working his crops close to the road.
[/QUOTE]


Are you sure they were waving ? I made a trip through that part years ago. Taking pictures of everything. When I mentioned to my uncle how friendly the Amish were, waving and all, he laughed and said they don't like having their picture taken and hold their hand up to block their face.


I was born in South Bend, Ind. but left before I got to know the Amish.

Enjoyed your trip
 
That was quite a pleasant ride. Always fun when you out exploring and find something like the wooden twisty road, and that grand hotel.

Here in Ottawa we had a number of good German restaurants. Our favourite was Manfred’s in the west end. Very good veal Wiener Schnitzel, excellent spaetzle, and a properly chilled bottle of Burg Layer Schlosskapelle Riesling. Penny liked his bananas in pyjamas for dessert, but I always chose the apple strudel with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Unfortunately Manfred went back to his home country, and it seems that every other German Restaurant owner followed. No one makes Wiener Schnitzel with veal anymore. Now all there is available are beer and sausage gastropubs. The word gas in the name tells me it is not what I am looking for.
 
Thread starter
gmike_imp said:
Indiana has a lot of Amish communities. One pair of buggy riders gave me friendly waves when I coasted by as quietly as I could with clutch in and engine idling, as did an Amish farmer working his crops close to the road.


Are you sure they were waving ? I made a trip through that part years ago. Taking pictures of everything. When I mentioned to my uncle how friendly the Amish were, waving and all, he laughed and said they don't like having their picture taken and hold their hand up to block their face.


I was born in South Bend, Ind. but left before I got to know the Amish.

Enjoyed your trip
[/QUOTE]
Well I’d heard it was rude to take their photos, which is why there aren’t any included with my report. I just think they wave because it’s fun to see a guy in a yellow suit on a blue motorcycle gliding past on an otherwise empty road.
Nortoon_imp said:
That was quite a pleasant ride. Always fun when you out exploring and find something like the wooden twisty road, and that grand hotel.

Here in Ottawa we had a number of good German restaurants. Our favourite was Manfred’s in the west end. Very good veal Wiener Schnitzel, excellent spaetzle, and a properly chilled bottle of Burg Layer Schlosskapelle Riesling. Penny liked his bananas in pyjamas for dessert, but I always chose the apple strudel with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Unfortunately Manfred went back to his home country, and it seems that every other German Restaurant owner followed. No one makes Wiener Schnitzel with veal anymore. Now all there is available are beer and sausage gastropubs. The word gas in the name tells me it is not what I am looking for.
Lol that’s about the size of it. There were a lot of wursts on the menu and I like all of them, but they are served on a bed of sauerkraut. Now, I like sauerkraut too, but it doesn’t like me. I’d never have made it home before dark had I eaten any sauerkraut in quantity.
 
Great ride Stichill! West Baden Springs Hotel is about 1 1/2 hours from me....let me know next time and I'll meet you there for lunch.

The hotel has a great history....the 200 foot dome was the largest free spanning dome in the world for several years and the largest in the USA until 1955....it is definitely a site worth stopping for.

I'm heading out to Cherokee, NC for some Smoky Mountains riding next Tue, Wed, Thur....I won't be on my CB but if anyone has time to ride, road suggestions, or good eats places...please let me know!

I might have to go ride the Foothills Parkway after seeing the video MemphisMike made on it....what a great clear HD video...Thanks for posting!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58P0LkdYAWo&t=50s
 
I road one of my favorite loops today, which took me downstream along the Delaware River, and stopped at the Hawk's Nest. The Hawk's Nest is a scenic location upstream of Port Jervis, New York high above the Delaware River on New York State Route 97. It is an area to avoid during the weekend tourist season.

82e49db286ceae91066ac026e8668e24.jpg


As I rolled into Port Jervis, I needed to cool down and selected the "Riverside Creamery".

ad3f28beaee749b4aec68147a5ef7b3f.jpg


I selected 2 scoops of Panda Paws ice cream over a hot chili dog, and enjoyed the view of the Delaware River below.

a93bf1d05f59076f16f720e0c7d0ba84.jpg
 
great RTE reports, suhawk and stich. I'm especially interested in dining opportunities in southern Indiana and northwestern Kentucky as I hope to lead my little group through there in September. I think that between Stich and OffRoad we should have several excellent options. :)
 
Looks like a great day Suhawk.. CB 1100, a super view and ice cream. Doesn't get much better than that
 
Yes. an absolutely gorgeous day. A little hot near 90 degrees, but the lower humidity made it bearable. Great day for ice cream!
 
That's the ticket Suhawk, by the time the icecream filled half the screen i could almost taste it, nice shots from you!

If you wanted to test the capacitor(s) all you need to do is disconnect them, idle the bike and if it makes no difference it's not the capacitors, my 1977 cap's still have the same capacity and are fine so far.
Maybe look at water in the fuel or obstruction in the idle jets, it's in very nice shape though, best of luck.
 
max_imp said:
That's the ticket Suhawk, by the time the icecream filled half the screen i could almost taste it, nice shots from you!

If you wanted to test the capacitor(s) all you need to do is disconnect them, idle the bike and if it makes no difference it's not the capacitors, my 1977 cap's still have the same capacity and are fine so far.
Maybe look at water in the fuel or obstruction in the idle jets, it's in very nice shape though, best of luck.
Thank max, I will try the capacitor test on the old CB. It maybe awhile, I rather be riding vs working :biker:
 
Mrs Ferret and I took the FJR to lunch today. 113 miles round trip to the "tin can" aka Cruisers Diner in Seaman, Ohio. Lunch was pretty good, nothing special. I had a cheeseburger with mayo, no bun (no gluten) and Di had a chicken wrap and a bowl of blackberry cobbler for desert. She said the cobbler was very good. We took St Rt 32 out, but came home via the Roller Coaster (Rt 247) to Hillsboro and Rt 138 back towards home. 90 degrees and high humidity was tough geared up. Sauna weather.

9e003b223729d2388f7a1599b8f19427.jpg


2ea42d6cdddf4a98a183cb155e0b3407.jpg


b8b3639ab103e4a0aef54875bb220007.jpg


e6098469ddacc23553844ef8d6889034.jpg
 
Back
Top