Life after giving up riding my bikes

I like the Minis. I love Mustangs. I'm 6'1" (or a little shy of that with spinal compression) so the Miata is definitely out. My 4-wheeled vehicle is a 2014 Jeep Wrangler which is promised to my daughter should she ever wise up and move out of Chicago. If that happens, I will probably replace that Jeep with a restored 70's vintage Jeep CJ to get me open-air fix. On the other hand, maybe I'd get a Mustang and put a hitch on it to tow our bikes to faraway lands. :)
 
I do like the Mini, and if I had to buy a car right now, it would be on my short list - a smaller sport model, and would have to be in BRG.

Before I met Mrs. Gone, I was dating a girl with a Miata. A bit tight for me to get in and out of, and I always seemed to be working on it. I do like the newer RF model - it reminds me visually of a '60s Toyota Sport 800.

I don't know what the automotive landscape will look like when I hang up the helmet. Hopefully there will still be a fun way of getting around that allows driver input and makes some kind of noise. I transitioned from muscle cars when I started riding full time, and as some of you have indicated, I put more miles on two wheels than four, so going back to a car full time will be a challenge.

But, then again, the old Gypsy lady said that I'd go on the job, most likely hit by flying debris at a race track. If that happens sometime before I need to make the decision about riding, I won't be faced with a tough choice.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I like the Minis. I love Mustangs. I'm 6'1" (or a little shy of that with spinal compression) so the Miata is definitely out. My 4-wheeled vehicle is a 2014 Jeep Wrangler which is promised to my daughter should she ever wise up and move out of Chicago. If that happens, I will probably replace that Jeep with a restored 70's vintage Jeep CJ to get me open-air fix. On the other hand, maybe I'd get a Mustang and put a hitch on it to tow our bikes to faraway lands. :)
:rofl:

Dianne says you are a hoot
 
Thread starter
My wife had bought a new 2021 MINI Cooper S just a few years ago , nice car but more difficult for me to get into but not bad once you are in it.
After coming back from Hendricks and having paid for the MINI Countryman Cooper S with four wheel drive she mentioned that she would prefer the bigger Countryman.
We called Hendricks the next day and sold the MINI Cooper S back to them (lost money !!!) and when they delivered the new MINI they took the other one back.
She never questioned me about all the money I "invested" in motor cycles !
 
The ferret_imp said:
Personally, I don't care about cars one bit, so I have had the same black Ridgeline truck (in the background in this pic) since 2010 and it still only has 64,000 miles on it. (4,000 miles less than my CB 1100) lol. I've put over 239,000 miles on bikes since I bought the truck.

932d0b9bfd508897ecfa0a6fc3ebf4be.jpg
Nice, clean bike :thumbsup:

Ferret, need to know:
* how many miles on your front Angel GT
* tread dept and close pic to justify tire wear pattern, if possible, please.
Thanks in advance.
 
I'll take one in the light in the morning and measure tread depth, but there is currently 7,490 miles on both F & R tires, and there is still some life in them. No unusual wear. They still look good, although the rear is showing signs of flattening in the center. Today I ordered new Angel GT's for both the CB and the NC.
 
Houtman_imp said:
cd03637a1dfedb1206805e2bf6c93aec.jpg


A few months ago I gave up riding motor cycles after nearly 55 years of really enjoying bikes.
I have to admit that so far I do not miss them but I still see my riding buddies on the BRP but now in our new MINI Country Man , picture included for Peter , hopefully he will come and visit us one day.
PM sent
The ferret_imp said:
I'll take one in the light in the morning and measure tread depth, but there is currently 7,490 miles on both F & R tires, and there is still some life in them. No unusual wear. They still look good, although the rear is showing signs of flattening in the center. Today I ordered new Angel GT's for both the CB and the NC.
My front GT shows some uneven wear, but I had faulty tire pressure gauge and it might be related to a low setting...this is why I want to see yours, front only.
No rush, I am away on a 2 day bike trip and will post a pic when come back.
 
Here ya go PB front Pirelli Angel GT at 7,490 miles. I measured 2/32 to wear bar, 4/32 to carcass at TWI

400973aac8187b6a1031aa06140a3cfe.jpg
 
Ok, thanks
Good an even wear pattern.
Next season will ditch my Metzler from my standard
.
 
Congrats buddy! Sorry for the late responses I have been MIA for a few months.

I was actually looking for a Mini Countryman sport All 4. And the. I stumbled upon the Subaru Forester XT so thats what I went with. But I still have a soft spot for the Minis whenever I pass them. My brother and uncle both had the sports and they were more fun to drive in manual then I would have thought. It was like being able to legally drive go karts around the roads here lol. I wish my Subie was a manual but I dont believe they made my year in manual in the U.S.

I will be putting some of that gear i got from you to good use for the next generation. I already swapped the mirrors out that I got from you.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Hey Houtman! I missed this thread last year, but happy to see that you switched to the Countryman.

Also, funny that your dealer's name is almost like my name...
 
Dang, I missed this one too!

I'm shedding bikes myself. Will try to get down to one (the 2013, 2014 is going on the market soon - no tears shed if she don't sell :D )

I kinda fit the Miata, little to no elbo room though. I think it would be a very short love affair. So I'm looking at the CX-50...

Distracted drivers are really poring the cold water on my interest in riding. In the end I may switch to dirt bikes only.
 
Rboe_imp said:
Dang, I missed this one too!

I'm shedding bikes myself. Will try to get down to one (the 2013, 2014 is going on the market soon - no tears shed if she don't sell :D )

I kinda fit the Miata, little to no elbo room though. I think it would be a very short love affair. So I'm looking at the CX-50...

Distracted drivers are really poring the cold water on my interest in riding. In the end I may switch to dirt bikes only.
I've been in Phoenix a few times over the last few years and to be honest, the traffic "quality" (or lack thereof) appears to be about par or better compared with some other significant cities. I doubt that helps much since we become acclimatized to our own domains. However, I find getting around not bad.

Unexpectedly, I find getting around in traffic in Washington DC bothersome, as well as Boston.

Also unexpectedly, I find traffic around New Jersey (greater Newark area) and NYC better than expected. I've only been stopped once by Jersey's finest - not bad I think.
 
I try to avoid the traffic around the Twin Cities and now I simply avoid the Portland area for the same reason, Life is too short for that.

But I agree; traffic is just as bad around any large metro area (don't get me going about the roads into and out of airports - I'm convinced they were designed by people suffering a really bad fever. I know the real reason they are doing their best given some constraints, but in the end they need to be redone. sigh.

:shake my cane:

:D
 

Rboe's point about distracted drivers is right on the mark. I had a beautiful Miata, which was totaled in 2019 by the driver of a 20ton gravel truck who rear-ended me as I was going through a left turn at a traffic light. I was not going slow, and I know that at some point he could no longer see the car as it disappeared below his line of sight, but, if I'd been on a bike, my widow would be writing this. He kept hitting me until I floored it, then stopped and jumped out and started yelling at him in the middle of the intersection. He looked at me like "Where did that old geezer come from?"
The Miata was a great car, and by far, one of my favorites, but it is way too small. My six-foot-five son-in-law could only sit in it with the top down and he was looking over the windshield.
It's a zoo out there.
 
Back
Top