Life after giving up riding my bikes

Houtman_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
cd03637a1dfedb1206805e2bf6c93aec.jpg


A few months ago I gave up riding motor cycles after nearly 55 years of really enjoying bikes.
I have to admit that so far I do not miss them but I still see my riding buddies on the BRP but now in our new MINI Country Man , picture included for Peter , hopefully he will come and visit us one day.
 
Houtman_imp said:
cd03637a1dfedb1206805e2bf6c93aec.jpg


A few months ago I gave up riding motor cycles after nearly 55 years of really enjoying bikes.
I have to admit that so far I do not miss them but I still see my riding buddies on the BRP but now in our new MINI Country Man , picture included for Peter , hopefully he will come and visit us one day.
Yay, yay, da green MINI Country Man is just beautiful
Thank you kindly for your invitation.....the earliest serious consideration will be given next year.
John, you just cannot walk away from our forum, and we'll love to hear some updates.....ya know, if you take a curve fast on two wheels only....it will just feel like a CBX or CB :D
:beerchug:
 
Houtman: Hope you enjoy the Mini.
After I felt compelled to give up riding in 2018, I bought a 2019 Kia Soul, base model, 6 speed manual.
It was a lot of fun.
Had to buy a new battery for our truck, since it hardly was driven!
But I did miss the wind in my face / knees in the breeze and leaning around curves, so I sold it and bought a 2020 CanAm Ryker, since my promise to my wife of no more bikes surely did not include a 3 wheeler!!

Best to you!
 
Very cool Houtman. So British, but without the bad electrics and oil leaks lol.

I will be attending this year's CB rally in my wife's new Mustang Convertible. Will try enjoying the BRP, the Dragon, the Cherohala, Moonshiner 28 etc in a different kind of open-air experience. I'm not quite ready to give up bikes quite yet, but when the day comes, I hope to be able to continue sharing those types of adventures with my life long "riding partner" in the rag top.

5f20d8fb9b78c78f466be34252861b9e.jpg
 
The ferret_imp said:
Very cool Houtman. So British, but without the bad electrics and oil leaks lol.

I will be attending this year's CB rally in my wife's new Mustang Convertible. Will try enjoying the BRP, the Dragon, the Cherohala, Moonshiner 28 etc in a different kind of open-air experience. I'm not quite ready to give up bikes quite yet, but when the day comes, I hope to be able to continue sharing those types of adventures with my life long "riding partner" in the rag top.

5f20d8fb9b78c78f466be34252861b9e.jpg
Actually it is BMW
...and new Triumphs have excellent build quality
OTOH I despise southern Nevadas Triumph dealer
 
Houtman, that is a seriously beautiful color. I have liked the Minis since they were little and the newer ones are even better. Enjoy.
 
I wouldn’t mind a CB1100 in British Racing Green. It’s a magnificent colour.
 
I always thought a Miata in BRG with a tan rag top and seats and spoked wheel covers would be the cats meow.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I always thought a Miata in BRG with a tan rag top and seats and spoked wheel covers would be the cats meow.
How about this one, although not British Racing Green?
 
Miatas are great cars for people under 5'8 inches tall. We have totaled two of them, both hit by trucks who's drivers claimed they never saw them.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I always thought a Miata in BRG with a tan rag top and seats and spoked wheel covers would be the cats meow.
How about this one, although not British Racing Green?
How about this one, although not British Racing Green?
Beautiful. I also like the shade of grey.

Getting in though, half the times I slam my forehead into the top of the windshield when the top is down. (doh!) X many times.

Sometimes getting out might excite a Charlie Horse. :dodgy:
 
Yea, I hear ya. Heck I'm a munchkin (albeit an old one) and I have trouble getting in and out of one. My younger brother has a hard top convertible 6 speed that's pretty slick, but he's more limber than I am. I have to fall in and climb out.

Before my wife bought her Mustang she tried a Miata, a Mini Cooper, and a Camaro. What she really wanted was a Volkswagon Bug convertible but they quit making them in 2019 and used ones cost nearly as much as the new Mustang.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I always thought a Miata in BRG with a tan rag top and seats and spoked wheel covers would be the cats meow.
How about this one, although not British Racing Green?
How about this one, although not British Racing Green?
Beautiful. I also like the shade of grey.

Getting in though, half the times I slam my forehead into the top of the windshield when the top is down. (doh!) X many times.

Sometimes getting out might excite a Charlie Horse. :dodgy:
That was 18 years ago, I was only 57.
I gave my 2001 Jeep Wrangler to middle daughter, then bought the Miata.
Had a lot of fun in the Miata (so many canyon roads in SoCal!), but when I went on sales calls and took our engineering manager, it had to be with top down, so he did not push his head into the soft top...and of course in rained the day after I bought it (mid-February)

In a few months, I traded for a Jeep Liberty 4x4!
The ferret_imp said:
Yea, I hear ya. Heck I'm a munchkin (albeit an old one) and I have trouble getting in and out of one. My younger brother has a hard top convertible 6 speed that's pretty slick, but he's more limber than I am. I have to fall in and climb out.

Before my wife bought her Mustang she tried a Miata, a Mini Cooper, and a Camaro. What she really wanted was a Volkswagon Bug convertible but they quit making them in 2019 and used ones cost nearly as much as the new Mustang.
I almost bought a new Mustang in 2012, 3.7 V6 manual for commuting from Las Vegas to Los Angeles alternate weeks. That was after the 04 Jeep Liberty 4WD was traded for an 06 Buick and that traded for an 07 Dodge Ram standard cab short bed 5.7 hemi, which was traded for a 2009 Toyota standard cab short bed 2.7 4 cylinder manual trans 4WD. If still made, I'd buy another, but it replaced #2 daughters 01 Jeep Liberty when it reached ~200K miles...and she totaled it. Kids are much more expensive after they leave home!!

Yes, I get bored easily, but same wife for 51 years.

If you ask how she puts up with me, I do not have an answer.

Thanks for prompting the trip down memory lane
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Oof. My wife just bought an NB Miata. She paid 6k for it and it overheats. Im shaking my head so much the bearings in my neck need replacing.
Do you have a front plate?
I had an NB, and here front plate is mandatory. It's not easy to find a good place for it that doesn't restrict airflow to the radiator.

But unless your headgasket is gone, overheating should be easy to sort just by removing the thermostat, cleaning the cooling circuit making water run through it with a hose, and then fitting a new thermostat.

1.6 or 1.8 are quite a bulletproof engines
 
Personally, I don't care about cars one bit, so I have had the same black Ridgeline truck (in the background in this pic) since 2010 and it still only has 64,000 miles on it. (4,000 miles less than my CB 1100) lol. I've put over 239,000 miles on bikes since I bought the truck.

932d0b9bfd508897ecfa0a6fc3ebf4be.jpg
 
Back
Top