Josh is down

Josh aka pdubs is the man and I hope to ride with him and this all gets settled. I hope he is at home chilled out after a few beers and not worrying about his internet friends worrying about him
 
Thread starter
Home. Really sore everywhere. Swollen, lots of bruises. Hurts. Feels like I pulled most muscles in my body.

Worst is probably the muscles in my back and the broken rib- can’t move, breathe, laugh, cough.

Have a nice bruise on my lower left abdomin show up yesterday. Going to have to keep an eye on that.

Thankfully my sausage of a left calf is going down in swelling, but my ankle/heal area is swelling now and turning purple.

Finding bruises in weird spots- tip of my big toe nail, left shoulder cap and armpit.

The armor pads did their job though- only lost skin is the inside of my left calf, where the shin guard stops and the meat starts. I think I must have kept the bike off the ground with my leg and foot.

I also think my ab bruise and possibly the spleen laceration may be my iPhone in my left pocket.

Thanks for checking in.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Sad to hear about the laundry list of maladies but at least it doesn't seem like there will be long term issues. Slight silver lining is it's almost September and not April so you have a few cold weather seasons to recover.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
 
Dubs, i have new issues cropping up as well. Was back in ER this morning.

Will be real glad when this is all behind us.
 
It will but takes some time...
Keep my fingers crossed for both of you :thumbsup: + :thumbsup: = full recovery
 
Thread starter
I may never ride again.

At least in the middle of all this, it doesn’t seem worth it.

The day I wrecked was my anniversary. We were supposed to go into Philly for the weekend with hotel and restaurant reservations.

I can’t work for many weeks, and no work = no pay.

My wife has been extremely supportive, but going through this really makes me take a step back and look at the big picture.

There is soo much more than the fun this hobby gave me for decades, as much fun as it was. I don’t want to miss another anniversary, or any other time. I get joy from other hobbies.

I don’t want to be crippled, disfigured, or out of work for her to have to support and care for me like I am a toddler.

Swelling is almost gone in my leg. It was a giant swollen sausage for a couple days.

Imagine what it would have been without all the gear I wear? That is with really expensive leather pants, shin guards, and armored boots!!

8bf4e241c0f2b53e746ebba64bce485e.jpg




Don’t have a scratch on my hands. Can’t say the same for my gloves. Both ate asphalt.


2c0006a0c5a500bac45fb8e114a19b8c.jpg
c1c92fea8c9d4586b9f127a775fe102e.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I completely understand. Life creeps up on us and circumstances change in the blink of an eye when we least expect it. Nobody asked for this. I think your rationalization is valid and sober, but you don't need to make any decisions now. Your job is to heal, get back on your feet, and comfort those around you who are probably worried sick. There's no shame if you decide to hang it up, but you don't need to decide anything now. Just get better so you can get back to being the best Josh you can be. A bunch of us are counting on it.
 
Thread starter
I already told my wife even if I stop riding- I am going to fix the bike and trailer it back to the dyno shop to see what the now tuned ignition will allow it to put down. :)

After that- at least I can polish the fenders.
 
Hey thats the same way I described my left hand to the ER nurse yesterday " my left hand still looks like a giant swollen sausage". She said yea, and brushed it aside like it was nothing.lol

Riding a motorcycle is or at least can be very danderous. I almost made the decision to give up riding when I had my first accident in 1969. Told my mom I was thinking about quitting, and she told me if I did, i would regret it the rest of my life. She was right. Im glad now that I didnt cause I've had 49 years of pure joy riding motorcycles since then, all over the US, Canada, Europe with my wife, brother, daughter, son, grand children, nephews and great friends.

I wouldnt try talking you out of it because quitting may indeed be the right decision for you. I would advise on not making that decision while you are banged up.the term forced confession comes to mind. But you will have to make up your own mind about that.

I do believe in fate, and so far fate has not decided I should die by motorcycle. It could some day of course. But it could also decide I die bt cancer, or a million other ways. Im going to see how it plays out.
 
I used to read all the FAA airplane accident reports trying to learn from others misfortune.
I'm still curious about the accident.
If your leg was trapped under the bike, does that mean you stayed with it throughout the slide? If so then the tether type air vest wouldn't have deployed.
Also did you have any engine guards? I've wondered if they would prevent getting a leg/foot caught underneath.
I've read they make electronic air vest/jackets.....I assume they are triggered by impact sensors....but cost nearly $2000.
Sorry, not ignoring your injuries....just wondering how to avoid similar circumstances.
 
Thread starter
offroadfx4_imp said:
I used to read all the FAA airplane accident reports trying to learn from others misfortune.
I'm still curious about the accident.
If your leg was trapped under the bike, does that mean you stayed with it throughout the slide? If so then the tether type air vest wouldn't have deployed.
Also did you have any engine guards? I've wondered if they would prevent getting a leg/foot caught underneath.
I've read they make electronic air vest/jackets.....I assume they are triggered by impact sensors....but cost nearly $2000.
Sorry, not ignoring your injuries....just wondering how to avoid similar circumstances.

I honestly don't remember much. Thinking back, I was on a very familiar back road near my house. I was coming down a hill, don't remember any cars whatsoever on that ride either coming or going- and then I just remember tail lights and grabbing the brakes. I don't remember a car even being anywhere. Might have came out of a side road or driveway, I might have glanced away at the wrong time, who knows.

I don't remember crashing. I didn't hit anything. Yes I have the engine guards. They say I was found lying in the road not moving. I barely remember a moment of a bunch of people above me, they were talking- but I wasn't comprehending anything. I just remember repeatedly quickly saying OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW non-stop in quick panting breath for what seemed like forever.

I don't remember being put on the back board or in the ambulance. I don't remember them removing my helmet but they did at some point. Once I was in there I guess I regained enough focus to start answering simple questions like my name. I told them I had ear plugs in and hearing loss.

My wife had bought me a rider ID bracelet with my name, blood type, dob, her contact info as well as my siblings. I remember someone asking if I had a medical id bracelet and I mumbled something about my wrist- they looked at it and said that's not a medical id bracelet and they removed it and stuff it inside one of my gloves. They never called anyone in my family. It was only after I denied treatment and they left me standing on the side of the road that I called my wife myself and she drove over. She was mad at the whole point of the bracelet was ignored.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
offroadfx4_imp said:
I used to read all the FAA airplane accident reports trying to learn from others misfortune.
I'm still curious about the accident.
If your leg was trapped under the bike, does that mean you stayed with it throughout the slide? If so then the tether type air vest wouldn't have deployed.
Also did you have any engine guards? I've wondered if they would prevent getting a leg/foot caught underneath.
I've read they make electronic air vest/jackets.....I assume they are triggered by impact sensors....but cost nearly $2000.
Sorry, not ignoring your injuries....just wondering how to avoid similar circumstances.

I honestly don't remember much. Thinking back, I was on a very familiar back road near my house. I was coming down a hill, don't remember any cars whatsoever on that ride either coming or going- and then I just remember tail lights and grabbing the brakes. I don't remember a car even being anywhere. Might have came out of a side road or driveway, I might have glanced away at the wrong time, who knows.

I don't remember crashing. I didn't hit anything. Yes I have the engine guards. They say I was found lying in the road not moving. I barely remember a moment of a bunch of people above me, they were talking- but I wasn't comprehending anything. I just remember repeatedly quickly saying OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW non-stop in quick panting breath for what seemed like forever.

I don't remember being put on the back board or in the ambulance. I don't remember them removing my helmet but they did at some point. Once I was in there I guess I regained enough focus to start answering simple questions like my name. I told them I had ear plugs in and hearing loss.

My wife had bought me a rider ID bracelet with my name, blood type, dob, her contact info as well as my siblings. I remember someone asking if I had a medical id bracelet and I mumbled something about my wrist- they looked at it and said that's not a medical id bracelet and they removed it and stuff it inside one of my gloves. They never called anyone in my family. It was only after I denied treatment and they left me standing on the side of the road that I called my wife myself and she drove over. She was mad at the whole point of the bracelet was ignored.

I honestly don't remember much. Thinking back, I was on a very familiar back road near my house. I was coming down a hill, don't remember any cars whatsoever on that ride either coming or going- and then I just remember tail lights and grabbing the brakes. I don't remember a car even being anywhere. Might have came out of a side road or driveway, I might have glanced away at the wrong time, who knows.

I don't remember crashing. I didn't hit anything. Yes I have the engine guards. They say I was found lying in the road not moving. I barely remember a moment of a bunch of people above me, they were talking- but I wasn't comprehending anything. I just remember repeatedly quickly saying OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW non-stop in quick panting breath for what seemed like forever.

I don't remember being put on the back board or in the ambulance. I don't remember them removing my helmet but they did at some point. Once I was in there I guess I regained enough focus to start answering simple questions like my name. I told them I had ear plugs in and hearing loss.

My wife had bought me a rider ID bracelet with my name, blood type, dob, her contact info as well as my siblings. I remember someone asking if I had a medical id bracelet and I mumbled something about my wrist- they looked at it and said that's not a medical id bracelet and they removed it and stuff it inside one of my gloves. They never called anyone in my family. It was only after I denied treatment and they left me standing on the side of the road that I called my wife myself and she drove over. She was mad at the whole point of the bracelet was ignored.
Holy crap!! It is really a surprise to me that they allowed you to deny treatment at that point in light of the condition they found you in. I'm surprised they did not treat you as incapable of making that decision at that point and transport you. Thank goodness you got to the hospital a bit later. In 2001 I had a near fatal bike wreck that got me a helicopter ride, a shattered pelvis (13 breaks), 4 broken ribs, a broken collar bone and lots of blunt force trauma--not to mention 6 months in a wheelchair. Thank goodness for my Aerostich suit. At some point during the recovery I decided to keep riding, but I honestly think about the wreck a lot when I am on the bikes, even years later. You will just have to see what works for you and your loved ones as your recovery progresses. There is no right or wrong answer--only what is right for you and your family. Feel free to PM me if you ever feel like talking about this stuff since I have been through it.
Jeff
 
Back
Top