Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Mr P, I say this with the utmost respect: you may think you're fine, but if you don't act now to protect your hearing, you'll come to understand exactly what Nortoon is saying. I never want to hear you say, "I should have listened to Cormanus."misterprofessionality_imp said:i can agree with this sentiment. I've spent most of my life riding with less than adequate gear primarily due to financial constraints. I remember what it feels like to just go out in a tshirt and jeans, no helmet, no jacket, no gloves, no nothing. It's better than skydiving. over the years i've managed to slowly upgrade my protection bit by bit, but i still remember.
I can't say i understand the wind noise thing though. even over 90mph i've never heard wind anywhere near loud enough to be uncomfortable.

I have to agree. I spent 35 years as a contractor running all kinds of power tools without ear protection all the while with a penchant for loud music and other loud pursuits so a little wind noise seems very low on the scale to me, hardly noticeable. Maybe it's my RF1200 helmet but I'm not going to take it off to find out.misterprofessionality_imp said:i can agree with this sentiment. I've spent most of my life riding with less than adequate gear primarily due to financial constraints. I remember what it feels like to just go out in a tshirt and jeans, no helmet, no jacket, no gloves, no nothing. It's better than skydiving. over the years i've managed to slowly upgrade my protection bit by bit, but i still remember.
I can't say i understand the wind noise thing though. even over 90mph i've never heard wind anywhere near loud enough to be uncomfortable.
You know i've heard lots of people complain about wind for various reasons over the years and I've come to this conclusion:Cormanus_imp said:Crikey, Nightengale. That is not good news. I also hope you heal quickly.
Mr P, I say this with the utmost respect: you may think you're fine, but if you don't act now to protect your hearing, you'll come to understand exactly what Nortoon is saying. I never want to hear you say, "I should have listened to Cormanus."misterprofessionality_imp said:i can agree with this sentiment. I've spent most of my life riding with less than adequate gear primarily due to financial constraints. I remember what it feels like to just go out in a tshirt and jeans, no helmet, no jacket, no gloves, no nothing. It's better than skydiving. over the years i've managed to slowly upgrade my protection bit by bit, but i still remember.
I can't say i understand the wind noise thing though. even over 90mph i've never heard wind anywhere near loud enough to be uncomfortable.![]()
Huh? What did you say???KiowaEagle_imp said:I have to agree. I spent 35 years as a contractor running all kinds of power tools without ear protection all the while with a penchant for loud music and other loud pursuits so a little wind noise seems very low on the scale to me, hardly noticeable. Maybe it's my RF1200 helmet but I'm not going to take it off to find out.misterprofessionality_imp said:i can agree with this sentiment. I've spent most of my life riding with less than adequate gear primarily due to financial constraints. I remember what it feels like to just go out in a tshirt and jeans, no helmet, no jacket, no gloves, no nothing. It's better than skydiving. over the years i've managed to slowly upgrade my protection bit by bit, but i still remember.
I can't say i understand the wind noise thing though. even over 90mph i've never heard wind anywhere near loud enough to be uncomfortable.
I was at my ear, nose, throat doctor last month and had my hearing tested and she told me it's normal. I said "normal for my age?" and she said no, just normal. So it's not like I can't hear it.

I SAID....apex1_imp said:Huh? What did you say???KiowaEagle_imp said:I have to agree. I spent 35 years as a contractor running all kinds of power tools without ear protection all the while with a penchant for loud music and other loud pursuits so a little wind noise seems very low on the scale to me, hardly noticeable. Maybe it's my RF1200 helmet but I'm not going to take it off to find out.misterprofessionality_imp said:i can agree with this sentiment. I've spent most of my life riding with less than adequate gear primarily due to financial constraints. I remember what it feels like to just go out in a tshirt and jeans, no helmet, no jacket, no gloves, no nothing. It's better than skydiving. over the years i've managed to slowly upgrade my protection bit by bit, but i still remember.
I can't say i understand the wind noise thing though. even over 90mph i've never heard wind anywhere near loud enough to be uncomfortable.
I was at my ear, nose, throat doctor last month and had my hearing tested and she told me it's normal. I said "normal for my age?" and she said no, just normal. So it's not like I can't hear it.![]()

Did SHE have to whisper to your ear???KiowaEagle_imp said:I have to agree. I spent 35 years as a contractor running all kinds of power tools without ear protection all the while with a penchant for loud music and other loud pursuits so a little wind noise seems very low on the scale to me, hardly noticeable. Maybe it's my RF1200 helmet but I'm not going to take it off to find out.misterprofessionality_imp said:i can agree with this sentiment. I've spent most of my life riding with less than adequate gear primarily due to financial constraints. I remember what it feels like to just go out in a tshirt and jeans, no helmet, no jacket, no gloves, no nothing. It's better than skydiving. over the years i've managed to slowly upgrade my protection bit by bit, but i still remember.
I can't say i understand the wind noise thing though. even over 90mph i've never heard wind anywhere near loud enough to be uncomfortable.
I was at my ear, nose, throat doctor last month and had my hearing tested and she told me it's normal. I said "normal for my age?" and she said no, just normal. So it's not like I can't hear it.


nhawk7504_imp said:Hope your gradually feeling better, Josh. This may be a case for ABS, I don't know. I tend to always count one thousand one thousand two one thousand three at least on a bike. It's tough with a car in front and behind sometimes. New England tends to be fairly quiet in the countryside so I can pull over if I have to. Florida on the East Coast has been terrifying to ride at rush hour and my brother and others stopped riding for that reason til he moves to Northeast Georgia where I had a peach of a quiet ride on his Duc Multistrada. These people who pull out in front of us (and those in front of us) make it tough.
You're touching on a truth that the ATGATT crowd has a hard time with. I've been in wrecks with gear, and without, and I gotta tell you, even the best gear seems like it only mitigates abrasion and slides. a helmet will protect you from a blow to the skull, but only up to a certain velocity (which is surprisingly low), and it doesn't really protect you from a broken neck. I guess this why I kind of shrug when people ask me why I don't wear armored pants over my jeans and armored boots instead of converse ect. i'm dressing for a slide because i know the gear isn't going to do anything beyond that.PowerDubs_imp said:nhawk7504_imp said:Hope your gradually feeling better, Josh. This may be a case for ABS, I don't know. I tend to always count one thousand one thousand two one thousand three at least on a bike. It's tough with a car in front and behind sometimes. New England tends to be fairly quiet in the countryside so I can pull over if I have to. Florida on the East Coast has been terrifying to ride at rush hour and my brother and others stopped riding for that reason til he moves to Northeast Georgia where I had a peach of a quiet ride on his Duc Multistrada. These people who pull out in front of us (and those in front of us) make it tough.
Silly as it sounds- ABS may have saved my ass, I don't know. Don't remember much.
That being said it is 4 weeks today since I crashed and I am still in a lot of pain although a little better every day.
I loved riding a motorcycle- have done it since I was a small child and I am in my mid 40's. I guess I was lucky to never have injured myself before.
This was my first (and only) wreck on the street. I used to fly off dirtbikes and quads all the time with jeans and a t-shirt when I was 12-14-16, etc and amazingly just got up and kept riding.
This is different. It is not worth this constant pain and sacrifice both to me and my wife and family, much less my job and finances.
And before you guys say suck it up- I was a medic in the Army. I am well aware of suck it up, keep moving. This is different.
What keeps sticking in my mind is that I wore the best gear I could- top dollar leather jacket & pants with chest pads, spine pad, shoulder pads, elbow pads, hip, knee and shin pads, etc etc- and I must have went down relatively slow as there isn't much damage to the bike- and I still hurt myself quite a bit.
Pretty much everybody wears less than what I did, and I'd imagine a lot of crashes involve higher speeds or impacts with something- car, deer, tree, guard rail...
If it hurts this much with what I did, how much worse could it easily have been? Uggh.