JB-Power Magtan JB4 Magnesium wheels

Thread starter
Haha thanks !

The front suspension is all sorted out already.
Traxxion dynamics fully adjustable cartridges, sorta a wolf in sheeps clothing. I also have the infamous fork brace
But not a superbrace.

Half of the modifications believe or not I bought from forum members on here. Just hung out the for sale section like a vulture.
 
lola_imp said:
Thanks fellas!

Yesterday I was able to get the wheels onto the bike and made sure everything was buttoned up properly before taking it out for a spin.

The changes made by switching to a forged mag wheel exceeds my expectations.. I knew going in that reducing rotational mass greatly improves braking,turning and acceleration but to actually experience it is mind blowing.
Accelerating is what i noticed first after warming up the tires. It felt like the bike had more torque of the line and kept pulling like a tractor until the next gear change, its no doubt faster than before. Stock form the cb carries it's weight well in the handling department but with the reduction in weight the effort in turning is greatly reduced, literally just resting my hands on the handlebars and just light inputs are needed when at speed. On braking I felt less weight transfer but really need to get a feel of it when the new tires have more miles on them just to be on the safe side...

One more thing that took me by surprise is that the bike has no more vibrations in the higher speed and rpms! I get a vibration around 70 to 75 mph on the handle bars and foot pegs but now it is gone. not sure if this is an attribute of well balanced wheel and wheel construction to where the bulk of the weight is centralized on the hub? when they balanced both wheels it required1/8oz in the front and 1/4 oz in the rear.

I went with a reduction in weight to not compromise reliability rather than hunting for horsepower.
No Snake oil was used in this build.

Now I just have to look for someone with a scale to see what its current weight is

Takashi From Samurider was really helpful all throughout the entire process. glad he is always there to support us in the motorcycle community with whatever we need without hesitation and expectations.

on to Pictures



[url=http://s964.photobucket.com/user/jdcmendiola/media/jb%20magtan%20jb4/jb/m5%201%20of%201_zpshprtuvp9.jpg.html]

[url=http://s964.photobucket.com/user/jdcmendiola/media/jb%20magtan%20jb4/jb/m15%201%20of%201_zpsirknw2cm.jpg.html]

[url=http://s964.photobucket.com/user/jdcmendiola/media/jb%20magtan%20jb4/jb/m4%201%20of%201_zpskgw1ptfh.jpg.html]
http://s964.photobucket.com/user/jdcmendiola/media/jb magtan jb4/jb/m9 1 of 1_zpsm8llybbv.jpg.html
 
c1b1fefb42434735ebc46e383210f84c.jpg


do you plan to leave the cowl like that or paint match it?
 
Lola...I would like to hear your thoughts on the headlight cowl...that model is the one I have been considering.

Hmmm, I am also in Los Angeles (but West side), I believe I may have sought your advice on front suspension...but I have since (at least for now) settled on a setting for my factory front shocks.

BTW, if you ever plan a ride out to the West side (Malibu), let me know, as I'd really like to see your bike in person. I am riding a 2013 model, modified with Staintune, PC5, Ryujin sport seat, Moriwaki skid pads, Ohlins rear shocks, Honda Type II handlebars and Superbrace.
 
Thread starter
xpacpal1x, I ride through the Rock Store every now and then on a weekday not on weekends but will msg you on a ride one of these days. As far as the cowl goes if your buying it for looks then I def recomend it but not really for wind protection. I think the chick design comet would be a better option. Nice set of mods!

Rebel73, Now I know of two CB1100 owners that work in the downtown area. Love going to the Concert hall! I go there to take photos of my friends for engagement pictures.
 
Lola...I've already been advised what a waste of money this all is (i.e., "you should have just bought a BMW S1000R"), but I'm still very intrigued with the modifications you've made...especially your review of the improvement in handling and that you assert high speed stability hasn't been impaired. In fact, I'm toying with the idea of doing some of these modifications to my bike.

1) Are these stock sized tires, or have you gone larger?

2) I see two designs of the Magtan wheel listed on Samurider...is there a reason you chose this one? BTW, I'd probably opt for the silver.

3) Which model of aluminum rear set did you use? Is there a reason to opt for one versus the others listed on Samurider?

4) I'm thinking about replacing my stock wheels, adding the aluminum rear set, and removing my center stand...that would essentially put me where you are, except I'd still be on stock front shocks. I'm figuring I could remove almost 30 pounds of weight...what do you think?
 
Thread starter
1. The Tire and wheel for the front is the same size as our stock wheel and tire but the rear Magtan uses a 4.5 wheel and requires a 160-60-18 tire. So yes went wider on the Rear.
2. there are two styles to choose from that fits our bike, JB1 which is old school 5 spoke design and the jb4 which is a swept 7 spoke design. I went with the jb4 just because it reminds me of todays motogp wheels which i think are marchseini Genesi mr7s...

3. My Rear sets are stock, did you mean swing arm? Well luckily a forum member was parting out his CB and had a over racing type 7 for sale so i bought it. The type 7 is adequate for our bike in my opinion.

4. yeah about that amount of weight savings. Still have not weighed mine yet.

I have a little over 100 miles with the wheels and tires riding to work and back and did notice the front end under braking feels a little sensitive. I do know it needs some suspension tuning becuase last time I had the bike tuned to my weight I was 210 and Im 175lbs now...

its never a waste of money if it keeps you happy and healthy.. :)


The centerstand needs to come off! the right side leg touches the tire.

 
Lola,

Wouldn't a grinder take care of that?
 
Thread starter
yup popgun, didnt want to live without the centerstand so I grinded mine down same as perodactyls centerstand mod when he went with a 160 tire as well.
 
lola_imp said:
yup popgun, didnt want to live without the centerstand so I grinded mine down same as perodactyls centerstand mod when he went with a 160 tire as well.
So, you went all out to reduce weight, but kept the center stand? I included center stand in my estimate of 30lb weight reduction...did you? Oh, and yes, I meant swing arm.
 
Thread starter
I have not put the center stand back on the bike but did the modification to the center stand if I feel like putting it back. Sorry for the confussion
 
Back
Top