Hit a Massive Pothole - Need New Wheels

jasonsargonautalis_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Howdy all,

I hit a big honkin' pothole last month. I didn't crash but, according to Reddit, my wheels are probably trashed. After a lengthy and unresponsive battle with my insurance I need to just take care of this myself. I'm trying to figure out what I need to test (and how to test) and because the state of Virginia should pay for damages. I don't have access to a full shop but I'm relatively competent with a wrench.

Currently all I can tell is damaged: the front and rear wheels and the rear tire. I'm probably going to replace the front out of an abundance of caution. Here are some pics: (Front [1] ) (Rear [[url=https://i.imgur.com/45w9iae.jpg]1] [[url=https://i.imgur.com/8dAFlJ4.jpg]2] [[url=https://i.imgur.com/l89Zo9S.jpg]Tire Detail])

So far I've done ye 'ol wheel shake and it sure seems like the bearings are fine on both wheels. I gave it a short ride to test the suspension and it's working fine as far as I can tell (but I didn't want to push it). What else do I need to do?

It came with basically new Pirelli Sport Demons, which I liked, but I'm looking for suggestions for different tires. I ride pretty hard overall, very much use it as sport touring. I'm in rural Appalachia so I end up on mixed surfaces a lot. It's not uncommon for me to do light dirt, gravel, broken pavement, and perfectly paved sweeping curves all in a day.

Also, has anyone got some wheels they can sell me for a good price? I'm kinda screwed right now as this is currently my only form of transportation. It hasn't been a big deal because I'm looking for work and have been able to borrow someone else's vehicle when I need to. That's about to not be an option though.

Thanks y'all!
 
I had a similar situation in Pennsylvania. Not sure which exact pothole did me in, but I discovered that rear wheel was so bent, the tire was slowly losing air. Found a used wheel on ebay for $150 shipped (directly to dealer) and paid something like $100 to the dealership to swap 'em out. Too small of an amount to even bother with insurance.

The state might eventually pay, but you will waste more time than its worth.

Quick search gives me this,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274670563764?hash=item3ff3a431b4:g:pRUAAOSwKThgGvWT
That tire is likely 9 years old, so don't use it.
 
You might try this: Woody's Wheel Works New Motorcycle Wheels, Repair & Car Wheel Repair

Woody’s Wheels can fix about anything and that isn’t really bad (for them).

I live in Va. too. INAL, but generally it’s my understanding that the .gov has sovereign immunity unless the pothole was previously reported. Good luck though getting them to pay no matter what.
 
Well, if you’re going to attempt to have the state pay for it make sure you get a few pics of the pothole before they fix it.
 
Yikes Jason. :s You've come to a decent place since many Forum members have already reached out. Fantastic folks.

Welcome to the Forum.
 
I’ll vouch for Woody’s Wheel Works. They’ve taken good care of me quite a few times.

cea12c6646c7136c08f5e2e273e5ee6e.jpg
 
Thread starter
LikeAfox_imp said:
I had a similar situation in Pennsylvania. Not sure which exact pothole did me in, but I discovered that rear wheel was so bent, the tire was slowly losing air. Found a used wheel on ebay for $150 shipped (directly to dealer) and paid something like $100 to the dealership to swap 'em out. Too small of an amount to even bother with insurance.

The state might eventually pay, but you will waste more time than its worth.

Quick search gives me this,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274670563764?hash=item3ff3a431b4:g:pRUAAOSwKThgGvWT
That tire is likely 9 years old, so don't use it.
Yeeehaw. It's funny you say that, I'm very likely moving to Pennsylvania and I've been warned that y'all (somehow) have worse roads than we do.

I honestly have no idea how my tire isn't leaking.

Quote:Too small of an amount to even bother with insurance.
Normally I wouldn't have but my father mentioned that his insurance paid for his last bent wheel. We have the same company (Geico) so I thought it would work out. He didn't mention he bent the rims of a car, that's apparently under personal collision insurance, which I don't carry on my bike.

I'm gonna crawl eBay a bit in the coming days. Hopefully I can get this solved while there's still riding season left.

Lord Popgun_imp said:
You might try this: Woody's Wheel Works New Motorcycle Wheels, Repair & Car Wheel Repair

Woody’s Wheels can fix about anything and that isn’t really bad (for them).

I live in Va. too. INAL, but generally it’s my understanding that the .gov has sovereign immunity unless the pothole was previously reported. Good luck though getting them to pay no matter what.
Thanks for the link! I've called a couple places so far but no one's felt like taking it on. And yeah, unfortunately I'm pretty sure you're correct about that stipulation. I'm doubtful it's reported yet because it's really just motorcycle tire sized. Hopefully I can help out the next biker though.

pekingduck_imp said:
Just check the forum's classified section - Houtman has a pair of new ones for less than used.
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=17406
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=17407
Thanks for the tip! I'm gonna get in touch.

Frulk_imp said:
Well, if you’re going to attempt to have the state pay for it make sure you get a few pics of the pothole before they fix it.
Yeah that's the plan for tomorrow. I doubt they've fixed it even almost a month away from hitting it. The hole is deep but narrow - really only a danger to motorcyclists.

Houtman_imp said:
What year is your bike , my wheels are still for sale if you are interested AND brand new in the OEM Honda boxes.
2013. I just caught a glimpse of them! I really like the black interior paint on my rims but I'm really tempted by your minty fresh bearings and spacer. I wanna get an estimate from Woody's on bending it back but I'll probably reach out to you tomorrow regardless! Thanks.
GoldOxide_imp said:
Yikes Jason. :s You've come to a decent place since many Forum members have already reached out. Fantastic folks.

Welcome to the Forum.
Thank you!

LongRanger_imp said:
I’ll vouch for Woody’s Wheel Works. They’ve taken good care of me quite a few times.

cea12c6646c7136c08f5e2e273e5ee6e.jpg
Glad to hear that. I've honestly been surprised that the places I've called are unable to bend it back. I'm hoping Woody's can give me better news.
 
A few years ago I hit a big pothole in my car, a '94 Acura Legend Coupe with aftermarket wheels and lo-profile tires. Bent both front wheels, and was able to get them fixed.
 
We deal with bent automotive mags very often, especially during winter season, and usually with a set of two from one car, either two front or side ones.
Then, we send them to a repair company...and when these come back, we put repaired and brand new beside each other....without seeing any difference, just an amazing repair. Not cheap thou.
 
jasonsargonautalis_imp said:
Howdy all,

I hit a big honkin' pothole last month. I didn't crash but, according to Reddit, my wheels are probably trashed. After a lengthy and unresponsive battle with my insurance I need to just take care of this myself. I'm trying to figure out what I need to test (and how to test) and because the state of Virginia should pay for damages. I don't have access to a full shop but I'm relatively competent with a wrench.

Currently all I can tell is damaged: the front and rear wheels and the rear tire. I'm probably going to replace the front out of an abundance of caution. Here are some pics: (Front [1] ) (Rear [[url=https://i.imgur.com/45w9iae.jpg]1] [[url=https://i.imgur.com/8dAFlJ4.jpg]2] [[url=https://i.imgur.com/l89Zo9S.jpg]Tire Detail])

So far I've done ye 'ol wheel shake and it sure seems like the bearings are fine on both wheels. I gave it a short ride to test the suspension and it's working fine as far as I can tell (but I didn't want to push it). What else do I need to do?

It came with basically new Pirelli Sport Demons, which I liked, but I'm looking for suggestions for different tires. I ride pretty hard overall, very much use it as sport touring. I'm in rural Appalachia so I end up on mixed surfaces a lot. It's not uncommon for me to do light dirt, gravel, broken pavement, and perfectly paved sweeping curves all in a day.

Also, has anyone got some wheels they can sell me for a good price? I'm kinda screwed right now as this is currently my only form of transportation. It hasn't been a big deal because I'm looking for work and have been able to borrow someone else's vehicle when I need to. That's about to not be an option though.

Thanks y'all!

I am replacing the front wheel on my 2014 DLX at Christmas. It has some corrosion on it from sitting for 6 years. It is not terrible, and may be removable, but I am putting the bike back to new. Bought the new front wheel months back, still in the box. Just waiting for my 29 day break at Christmas to swap out the wheels. Not sure if it would fit your bike, but it holds air just fine. I can send you pictures if you think you want it and it would fit. I am going to list it on Craigs list eventually for $150 (+ shipping).

Blow-up the front wheel on the DLX and you can see the corrosion. It s a thin band near the inner side of the rim.
 
peterbaron, I hit a pothole one rainy night totalling one low-profile mag rim and damaging another. The damaged one was repaired and cost a great deal less than replacing it. I recall the cost of a replacement was north of AU$1,000. In the end I couldn't get one at all and replaced all 4 with a second-hand set which cost less than one new rim. As it is likely the rim was damaged only because it was low profile, the replacements were not. Low profile, that is. Indeed, I wondered then, and still do, why one would have low-profile tyres for normal use given that, whether we like it or not, the occasional pot hole is a fact of life.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
peterbaron, I hit a pothole one rainy night totalling one low-profile mag rim and damaging another. The damaged one was repaired and cost a great deal less than replacing it. I recall the cost of a replacement was north of AU$1,000. In the end I couldn't get one at all and replaced all 4 with a second-hand set which cost less than one new rim. As it is likely the rim was damaged only because it was low profile, the replacements were not. Low profile, that is. Indeed, I wondered then, and still do, why one would have low-profile tyres for normal use given that, whether we like it or not, the occasional pot hole is a fact of life.
... because it is hip? :dodgy:

 
We rarely service customers of "customized" mags with low profile tires.
Many cars/SUVs today are already fitted with lower profile OEM tires than a decade ago due to variety of safety and handling factors, rather than fashion or customer desire.
 
After I hit that pothole, I drove my wife's Honda CR-V for a couple of weeks, which had normal tires and the larger sidewall just shrugged off potholes left and right.
 
Thread starter
michael1954_imp said:
jasonsargonautalis_imp said:
Howdy all,

I hit a big honkin' pothole last month. I didn't crash but, according to Reddit, my wheels are probably trashed. After a lengthy and unresponsive battle with my insurance I need to just take care of this myself. I'm trying to figure out what I need to test (and how to test) and because the state of Virginia should pay for damages. I don't have access to a full shop but I'm relatively competent with a wrench.

Currently all I can tell is damaged: the front and rear wheels and the rear tire. I'm probably going to replace the front out of an abundance of caution. Here are some pics: (Front [1] ) (Rear [[url=https://i.imgur.com/45w9iae.jpg]1] [[url=https://i.imgur.com/8dAFlJ4.jpg]2] [[url=https://i.imgur.com/l89Zo9S.jpg]Tire Detail])

So far I've done ye 'ol wheel shake and it sure seems like the bearings are fine on both wheels. I gave it a short ride to test the suspension and it's working fine as far as I can tell (but I didn't want to push it). What else do I need to do?

It came with basically new Pirelli Sport Demons, which I liked, but I'm looking for suggestions for different tires. I ride pretty hard overall, very much use it as sport touring. I'm in rural Appalachia so I end up on mixed surfaces a lot. It's not uncommon for me to do light dirt, gravel, broken pavement, and perfectly paved sweeping curves all in a day.

Also, has anyone got some wheels they can sell me for a good price? I'm kinda screwed right now as this is currently my only form of transportation. It hasn't been a big deal because I'm looking for work and have been able to borrow someone else's vehicle when I need to. That's about to not be an option though.

Thanks y'all!

I am replacing the front wheel on my 2014 DLX at Christmas. It has some corrosion on it from sitting for 6 years. It is not terrible, and may be removable, but I am putting the bike back to new. Bought the new front wheel months back, still in the box. Just waiting for my 29 day break at Christmas to swap out the wheels. Not sure if it would fit your bike, but it holds air just fine. I can send you pictures if you think you want it and it would fit. I am going to list it on Craigs list eventually for $150 (+ shipping).

Blow-up the front wheel on the DLX and you can see the corrosion. It s a thin band near the inner side of the rim.

Unfortunately I have a 2013 Std. and I don't think those rims are compatible. IIRC the axle size is different.

Thanks for the offer though!
 
I believe Houtman's wheels are for a 2013 ABS model, which is compatible with the 2013-2014 ABS models. The non-ABS may be different due to having the ABS pulser ring under the disc. All front axles 2013-2017 US models are the same.
The 2013 rear has a larger axle.
 
Back
Top