Is your CB a keeper?

Though you think, your CB is a keeper. That may change.

Before the CB 1100, I was riding a BMW K1100RS for 20 years. I thought, I would ride this Beemer forever, as I really liked it and I knew very well, how to maintain it and keep it running.

Then, the work to keep it running just became too much. When the engine broke again in 2014, I decided to go for a new motorcycle.

Looking around at the time, I discovered the CB 1100 and felt in love instantly. It took few days, and I had a new one, left over 2013 in my stable, being sure, to have a really good ride for at least the next 10 years. Again I thought, this would be a keeper.

But than the issues started:
- fussing around with a wind shield and luggage,
- quality issues with rust at the fenders, under the triple tree and at the ABS ring,
- peeling varnish at the fins of the engine,
- difficult to keep clean,
- a little bit too less power to keep up with my friends,
- too less ground clearing and scraping the foot pegs.

So it came to my mind, that this might not be the right motorcycle for me and I started to glance over to the CBF1000F, despite the beauty and the charm of the CB 1100.

After 15 month I traded the CB 1100 in for a CBF1000F at spring of this year. The CBF with the tamed Fireblade engine runs as soft as the CB, but has more punch. The ride is a little bit more sporty. There are good solutions for luggage. It comes with adjustable windshield and an OEM fairing. It is easy to clean and has better mpg than the CB. It's a better canyon surfer and also can easily go 230 km/h at the Autobahn.

So, while it's not such a beauty as the CB, from the appearance more like a Toyota Corolla, it really fits all my needs for a motorcycle.

May be, the CBF1000F is a keeper for me. We will see.
 
Django_imp said:
Though you think, your CB is a keeper. That may change.

Before the CB 1100, I was riding a BMW K1100RS for 20 years. I thought, I would ride this Beemer forever, as I really liked it and I knew very well, how to maintain it and keep it running.

Then, the work to keep it running just became too much. When the engine broke again in 2014, I decided to go for a new motorcycle.

Looking around at the time, I discovered the CB 1100 and felt in love instantly. It took few days, and I had a new one, left over 2013 in my stable, being sure, to have a really good ride for at least the next 10 years. Again I thought, this would be a keeper.

But than the issues started:
- fussing around with a wind shield and luggage,
- quality issues with rust at the fenders, under the triple tree and at the ABS ring,
- peeling varnish at the fins of the engine,
- difficult to keep clean,
- a little bit too less power to keep up with my friends,
- too less ground clearing and scraping the foot pegs.

So it came to my mind, that this might not be the right motorcycle for me and I started to glance over to the CBF1000F, despite the beauty and the charm of the CB 1100.

After 15 month I traded the CB 1100 in for a CBF1000F at spring of this year. The CBF with the tamed Fireblade engine runs as soft as the CB, but has more punch. The ride is a little bit more sporty. There are good solutions for luggage. It comes with adjustable windshield and an OEM fairing. It is easy to clean and has better mpg than the CB. It's a better canyon surfer and also can easily go 230 km/h at the Autobahn.

So, while it's not such a beauty as the CB, from the appearance more like a Toyota Corolla, it really fits all my needs for a motorcycle.

May be, the CBF1000F is a keeper for me. We will see.
Certainly all true for me but the quality issues. Do you live near salt water? I don't care how clean my bike is, I clean it once or twice a year but rarely ride in rain. A quick wipedown every so often, that's it.

I ride alone but if the roads are tight I generally feel I would have little trouble maintaining a quick pace. If someone is a stupid rider trying to take chances I want nothing to do with it. I take fast to the racetrack.

So my bike looks very good, runs perfectly, required no valve adjustments at 8,000 miles, and is delivering on every count. I did have a defective battery but Shorai has solved that issue.

Every bike I own feels like some kind of a rocketship compared to my Wolf Classic. 15 HP. Top speed 65 mph.
 
I just bought mine yesterday. Haven't had a motorcycle since 2009 when I sold my 2005 BMW K1200S. Saw my first CB in 2013 and was smitten. I didn't get it because it was a 5 speed. In 2014 I saw the black one with 6 speed but was waiting for dlx model which never arrived. I went back to the dealer a couple of months ago and they had a new in the box 2014. I delayed until a couple of months later and they were sold. Finally last week another 2014 new in the crate showed up and I bought it immediately. It's been a long road for me. I even joined this forum in 2013 without owning one. I'll be keeping it forever, even if I rarely ride it. The price was too good to pass up at 8200.00 out the door, even if it's just eye candy.
 
Welcome Rigby and congratulations on the purchase.
 
Has to be a black one ELipten, Honda has not had any new DLXs in the warehouse since April of 2014.
 
Rigby1964_imp said:
I just bought mine yesterday. Haven't had a motorcycle since 2009 when I sold my 2005 BMW K1200S. Saw my first CB in 2013 and was smitten. I didn't get it because it was a 5 speed. In 2014 I saw the black one with 6 speed but was waiting for dlx model which never arrived. I went back to the dealer a couple of months ago and they had a new in the box 2014. I delayed until a couple of months later and they were sold. Finally last week another 2014 new in the crate showed up and I bought it immediately. It's been a long road for me. I even joined this forum in 2013 without owning one. I'll be keeping it forever, even if I rarely ride it. The price was too good to pass up at 8200.00 out the door, even if it's just eye candy.
Welcome, Rigby! Almost 3.5 yrs. from joining to first post. That's gotta be some kind of record. :D
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Rigby1964_imp said:
I just bought mine yesterday. Haven't had a motorcycle since 2009 when I sold my 2005 BMW K1200S. Saw my first CB in 2013 and was smitten. I didn't get it because it was a 5 speed. In 2014 I saw the black one with 6 speed but was waiting for dlx model which never arrived. I went back to the dealer a couple of months ago and they had a new in the box 2014. I delayed until a couple of months later and they were sold. Finally last week another 2014 new in the crate showed up and I bought it immediately. It's been a long road for me. I even joined this forum in 2013 without owning one. I'll be keeping it forever, even if I rarely ride it. The price was too good to pass up at 8200.00 out the door, even if it's just eye candy.
Welcome, Rigby! Almost 3.5 yrs. from joining to first post. That's gotta be some kind of record. :D
Welcome, Rigby! Almost 3.5 yrs. from joining to first post. That's gotta be some kind of record. :D
Rigby1964_imp said:
I just bought mine yesterday. Haven't had a motorcycle since 2009 when I sold my 2005 BMW K1200S. Saw my first CB in 2013 and was smitten. I didn't get it because it was a 5 speed. In 2014 I saw the black one with 6 speed but was waiting for dlx model which never arrived. I went back to the dealer a couple of months ago and they had a new in the box 2014. I delayed until a couple of months later and they were sold. Finally last week another 2014 new in the crate showed up and I bought it immediately. It's been a long road for me. I even joined this forum in 2013 without owning one. I'll be keeping it forever, even if I rarely ride it. The price was too good to pass up at 8200.00 out the door, even if it's just eye candy.
Welcome, Rigby! Almost 3.5 yrs. from joining to first post. That's gotta be some kind of record. :D You saved yourself about five grand waiting over three years.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
Rigby1964_imp said:
I just bought mine yesterday. Haven't had a motorcycle since 2009 when I sold my 2005 BMW K1200S. Saw my first CB in 2013 and was smitten. I didn't get it because it was a 5 speed. In 2014 I saw the black one with 6 speed but was waiting for dlx model which never arrived. I went back to the dealer a couple of months ago and they had a new in the box 2014. I delayed until a couple of months later and they were sold. Finally last week another 2014 new in the crate showed up and I bought it immediately. It's been a long road for me. I even joined this forum in 2013 without owning one. I'll be keeping it forever, even if I rarely ride it. The price was too good to pass up at 8200.00 out the door, even if it's just eye candy.
Welcome, Rigby! Almost 3.5 yrs. from joining to first post. That's gotta be some kind of record. :D
Welcome, Rigby! Almost 3.5 yrs. from joining to first post. That's gotta be some kind of record. :D
Rigby1964_imp said:
I just bought mine yesterday. Haven't had a motorcycle since 2009 when I sold my 2005 BMW K1200S. Saw my first CB in 2013 and was smitten. I didn't get it because it was a 5 speed. In 2014 I saw the black one with 6 speed but was waiting for dlx model which never arrived. I went back to the dealer a couple of months ago and they had a new in the box 2014. I delayed until a couple of months later and they were sold. Finally last week another 2014 new in the crate showed up and I bought it immediately. It's been a long road for me. I even joined this forum in 2013 without owning one. I'll be keeping it forever, even if I rarely ride it. The price was too good to pass up at 8200.00 out the door, even if it's just eye candy.
Welcome, Rigby! Almost 3.5 yrs. from joining to first post. That's gotta be some kind of record. :D You saved yourself about five grand waiting over three years.
Welcome, Rigby! Almost 3.5 yrs. from joining to first post. That's gotta be some kind of record. :D
Rigby1964_imp said:
I just bought mine yesterday. Haven't had a motorcycle since 2009 when I sold my 2005 BMW K1200S. Saw my first CB in 2013 and was smitten. I didn't get it because it was a 5 speed. In 2014 I saw the black one with 6 speed but was waiting for dlx model which never arrived. I went back to the dealer a couple of months ago and they had a new in the box 2014. I delayed until a couple of months later and they were sold. Finally last week another 2014 new in the crate showed up and I bought it immediately. It's been a long road for me. I even joined this forum in 2013 without owning one. I'll be keeping it forever, even if I rarely ride it. The price was too good to pass up at 8200.00 out the door, even if it's just eye candy.
Welcome, Rigby! Almost 3.5 yrs. from joining to first post. That's gotta be some kind of record. :D You saved yourself about five grand waiting over three years.
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
Rigby1964_imp said:
I just bought mine yesterday. Haven't had a motorcycle since 2009 when I sold my 2005 BMW K1200S. Saw my first CB in 2013 and was smitten. I didn't get it because it was a 5 speed. In 2014 I saw the black one with 6 speed but was waiting for dlx model which never arrived. I went back to the dealer a couple of months ago and they had a new in the box 2014. I delayed until a couple of months later and they were sold. Finally last week another 2014 new in the crate showed up and I bought it immediately. It's been a long road for me. I even joined this forum in 2013 without owning one. I'll be keeping it forever, even if I rarely ride it. The price was too good to pass up at 8200.00 out the door, even if it's just eye candy.
Welcome, Rigby! Almost 3.5 yrs. from joining to first post. That's gotta be some kind of record. :D
Welcome, Rigby! Almost 3.5 yrs. from joining to first post. That's gotta be some kind of record. :D
Rigby1964_imp said:
I just bought mine yesterday. Haven't had a motorcycle since 2009 when I sold my 2005 BMW K1200S. Saw my first CB in 2013 and was smitten. I didn't get it because it was a 5 speed. In 2014 I saw the black one with 6 speed but was waiting for dlx model which never arrived. I went back to the dealer a couple of months ago and they had a new in the box 2014. I delayed until a couple of months later and they were sold. Finally last week another 2014 new in the crate showed up and I bought it immediately. It's been a long road for me. I even joined this forum in 2013 without owning one. I'll be keeping it forever, even if I rarely ride it. The price was too good to pass up at 8200.00 out the door, even if it's just eye candy.
Welcome, Rigby! Almost 3.5 yrs. from joining to first post. That's gotta be some kind of record. :D You saved yourself about five grand waiting over three years.
Welcome, Rigby! Almost 3.5 yrs. from joining to first post. That's gotta be some kind of record. :D
Rigby1964_imp said:
I just bought mine yesterday. Haven't had a motorcycle since 2009 when I sold my 2005 BMW K1200S. Saw my first CB in 2013 and was smitten. I didn't get it because it was a 5 speed. In 2014 I saw the black one with 6 speed but was waiting for dlx model which never arrived. I went back to the dealer a couple of months ago and they had a new in the box 2014. I delayed until a couple of months later and they were sold. Finally last week another 2014 new in the crate showed up and I bought it immediately. It's been a long road for me. I even joined this forum in 2013 without owning one. I'll be keeping it forever, even if I rarely ride it. The price was too good to pass up at 8200.00 out the door, even if it's just eye candy.
Welcome, Rigby! Almost 3.5 yrs. from joining to first post. That's gotta be some kind of record. :D You saved yourself about five grand waiting over three years. It's a black one. I was afraid I would miss the boat completely if I didn't pull the trigger
 
Thread starter
This just popped up in my memory feed on FB; a post from 4 years ago. It reminded me why I bought my CB in the first place and why she's a keeper.

55302c5b20a767b3a96ab929f5625a45.png



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Only one ride at the moment - had to replace my 215k car which died, with my CB11 savings money. Microsoft OneDrive - I'd rather have a CB11, but the CB5 is good for now. New Michelins and I can throw it into a ninety degree turn like nobody's business. I'd keep a CB if I had one and just put Ohlins on the back. I could not afford to change bikes for several years if I spent that much. - I also think that Honda makes their CB11 videos as if it's a keeper. - My brother and I have batted the idea of bikes around and to most it's a toy vs. having a car or truck. He's had his 07 DUC Multistrada since 2008 because he can't afford to keep changing bikes. He has to have hard bags and a wind screen. He rides like a dirt bike too so he wants to throw the bike into corners and has been to The Dragon every couple years on it.
 
My first one ended up not being but I had a suspicion another would find it's way back into the garage so this one I plan on keeping.........still feel the VStrom is the best all around bike but the CB1100 just flat out is the looker.
 
I just barely got 900 miles on mine after purchasing it in late September. It's a great alternative to riding my '15 Goldwing. It replaced a 2008 Kaw 900 Custom. I love the 1100's look and the way it handles. It's going to be a long winter.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I've already posted a 'Yes' a few pages back and after giving it some thought I wanted to expand on that 'Yes'.

I bought this bike strictly as a commuter. In 2014 and 2015 that's all I did with the bike. Beyond the back and forth to work I never gave the bike a second thought, and I never took it out for an actual 'ride'. I barely considered myself a rider. Near the end of the 2015 season I got popped for a speeding ticket on my way in one day and, lets face it, I was using the road as my own personal drag strip that day. Like every other day. My commute was absolutely no fun and now it, and my stupidity, was costing me. After that, I have never commuted on the bike again. I had to make a mental re assignment of the bike from commuter vehicle to fun vehicle.

I started riding it for fun shortly after that and it was only then that I discovered what a truly awesome bike the CB1100 is. It took me two seasons of ownership to realize this. I'm into this bike now on the same level as I was into my other all time favorites.

They were my 1993 HD FXLR Low Rider Custom and any of my Kawi ZRX's. The CB is right at the top with those, the best and most favored bikes I have ever owned. Yes, I'll be keeping this bike. It's beautiful, I have the title and it does everything I need a bike to do.
 
usa_imp said:
xmike_imp said:
@The ferret. Shaking, sound, slow speed maneuvering, low center of gravity. I had a feeling that CB is quite top heavy. I tried sportster 72, fatboy and low rider. Fatboy weights approx. 60kg more than CB, but it felt very maneuverable also in "walking" speed. Much more maneuverable than CB for me. On CB I always worn full gear, because I was little affraid of her, of that top heavy feeling. But with HD I was not afraid about anything after 10 metres. I was really surprised how easy it turns. And that feeling about engine full of life under you, engine you can feel, feeling that engine will jump out of frame and run away...(sportster 72) :) I wish I could keep CB, she is best looking bike, eye pleasing. I loved looking at her every morning and evening in garage. But riding on CB didn't bring any emotion for me. She is very powerfull bike, accelerates faster than harley, but for me she is (emotionally) something like ford mustang with 2.0 ecoboost engine and HD is shelby with 5L V8 (roaring...).
Enjoy your new HD, let us know how you like it. I personally tried out a few HD too. I like the twisty mountain roads but the HD foot pegs are too low, they too easily scrape the asphalt. You don't need to go fast to scrape them. That was it for me.
Enjoy your new HD, let us know how you like it. I personally tried out a few HD too. I like the twisty mountain roads but the HD foot pegs are too low, they too easily scrape the asphalt. You don't need to go fast to scrape them. That was it for me.
New bike is at home and it is completely different experience. Much more comfortable for me, I really enjoy 70-80kph speed with it. I really like it. For me it is finally not only transportation from A to B, but pleasure to ride.

 
Glad you like the new bike, xmike. I take it you've sold the CB?
 
I don't get attached to 'things' and generally never really miss them if they're sold. However, the CB1100 is pretty darned nice in stock form and I consider it a keeper. Installed a Arrow exhaust today, love the sound. The bike is a means to an end, just like all the tools in my garage. I will use it, enjoy it and own it, but I don't love mechanical things, I just appreciate them until I find it necessary to replace them.

I rode a 1972 CB750 as one of my first "big" street bikes, so owning this is a reminder of years gone by. It's taking center-stage right now in my 'stable' and I do hope to own it for many more years.
 
Back
Top