Is your CB a keeper?

Mine is a keeper. I went to college riding several CM400Ts and loved them despite the lack of power. The CB1100 is everything I want in a bike and nothing I don't want. I liked the 2013 but thought to myself "if it only had ABS, six speed, and a gear indicator then I'd get one" and so I have an '14 EX and couldn't be happier. No plans to sell it any time soon. There are other bikes I find appealing but nothing close to the CB1100.
 
Typically I buy all my vehicles with the intent of keeping them until they turn back into dust (my truck is 10yrs old, Harley 14yrs old, dirt bike 10yrs old) but I don't really become emotionally attached to them. If I don't like something, down the road it goes (rode my '00 Shadow Sabre 1100 for one season and it had to go).

At this point in my life due to medical reasons I don't know how many years of riding I have left (I suppose in way that is true of everyone) so the CB1100 will definitely be the last bike I purchase. I'm also at the point where I am fairly financially secure so even if I have to stop riding I don't need the money so I'll keep my bikes to just sit on or look at. They bring me almost as much joy just looking at them and remembering all the good times I had riding.

Keeper? Absolutely.
 
I'm new to riding and the cb1100 is my second bike. I can't say for certain because I thought my ctx would stick around a lot longer than it did when I bought it, but I think the CB1100 will be around for quite a while. I do find myself looking at other motorcycles and weighing the pros and cons and I plan on doing a few demo rides to see what else is out there, but I can tell you for certain I will never own a HD. I should probably buy another one soon as a back up because I'm pretty sure I'll wear this one out. I've put 6.5k on it since Mid-March and summer vacation hasn't even started yet!
 
bigsheep_imp said:
I'm new to riding and the cb1100 is my second bike. I can't say for certain because I thought my ctx would stick around a lot longer than it did when I bought it, but I think the CB1100 will be around for quite a while. I do find myself looking at other motorcycles and weighing the pros and cons and I plan on doing a few demo rides to see what else is out there, but I can tell you for certain I will never own a HD. I should probably buy another one soon as a back up because I'm pretty sure I'll wear this one out. I've put 6.5k on it since Mid-March and summer vacation hasn't even started yet!
Curious - how did you like the CTX? I almost bought one.
 
CTX was great. Super easy to ride much like the CB. Lots of low torque low revving engine. 70 MPG at times. Really comfortable riding position and I liked the looks. I had the 700n model with no fairing. I did 24000km on the CTX in a single season, a Canadian season. I did three short tours where I would ride for 8-10 hours a day for 2-3 days, never tires of it and never uncomfortable. Loved the little glove box in the tank, great place to put your sunglasses and clear goggles for a mid ride switch. It also had much wider service intervals than the CB, due to the low revving engine.
Even though the ctx had a few advantages over the cb, I do not miss my old 700. The cb is much more fun, period.
 
Although my riding season is only 6 months long and I only ride once a week, I put over 33,000 kilometers (20,500 miles) on my CB500XA over the 3 summers I owned it. Great bike, light, nimble, and reliable. A little noisy at highway speeds and a PITB to work on because of all the plastic shrouds and plumbing.

But I wanted a 2014 Deluxe the first time I saw pictures of it on this forum. Unfortunately it was never sold in Canada. Finally the CB1100 EX was made available in Canada this year and I traded in my CB500XA for one.


A beautiful looking machine, although a bit heavy. Because of the poor weather I have only put 624 kilometers on it, both days chased home by approaching rain. I am impressed how smooth and strong the motor is, and love the sound of the new mufflers. No need for slip-ons on this machine.

I intend to keep this one a while as I have not seen anything, except the Triumph Bonneville line, that appeals to me. Should I get too frail to deal with the weight, I would look for a heritage styled motorcycle in the 650 to 750cc range.
 
Pretty looking bike Nortoon! Same thinking here - if the CB gets to be too much, just trade down but hopefully that's going to be a long way off.
 
Yes its a keeper for me, my other bike a suzuki gsr 600 had for coming up to ten years , i put off for over a year getting the cb because of the weight [ not getting any younger ]. However over the moon to now have one .
 
Yea, I'm keeping my 2013

I've been riding for 25 years and I've always had at least two bikes.. 1 to play around with and the other for long distances. I bought the cb after selling a bunch of bikes. I wanted something reliable, something that if the oil was changed and it was on a charger, I could throw a leg over and go at a moments notice.

As I cant leave well enough alone, mines modified, some by the PO, some by me (black fenders, puig screen, staintune, different mirrors, lower bar, and so on). I can't say it will be my first or primary bike, but I'll keep it.

It always feels like a motorcycle to me, while not basic, it feels that way. No abs, no traction control, it's just me and the open road..

Truth be told, once the new ones start hitting the used market, I may pick up one for longer rides and look to modify the '13 some more..

If I get a later model - I'd suspect that it may come and go, but the '13 will stay... I've done the sell one (or two) bikes to get the new one.. While it was the right moves at the time, there are some bikes I wish i had back.. I'm certain that I'd regret getting rid of '13, so I'm keeping it
 
much as I want another track bike, I wouldn't trade my
CB for anything, except maybe a deluxe. (mine is a standard) but even then I would feel like I was cheating on it. LOL!
 
Hondahawkrider_imp said:
Yea, I'm keeping my 2013

I've been riding for 25 years and I've always had at least two bikes.. 1 to play around with and the other for long distances. I bought the cb after selling a bunch of bikes. I wanted something reliable, something that if the oil was changed and it was on a charger, I could throw a leg over and go at a moments notice.

As I cant leave well enough alone, mines modified, some by the PO, some by me (black fenders, puig screen, staintune, different mirrors, lower bar, and so on). I can't say it will be my first or primary bike, but I'll keep it.

It always feels like a motorcycle to me, while not basic, it feels that way. No abs, no traction control, it's just me and the open road..

Truth be told, once the new ones start hitting the used market, I may pick up one for longer rides and look to modify the '13 some more..

If I get a later model - I'd suspect that it may come and go, but the '13 will stay... I've done the sell one (or two) bikes to get the new one.. While it was the right moves at the time, there are some bikes I wish i had back.. I'm certain that I'd regret getting rid of '13, so I'm keeping it
That's my plan too. My other bike is a well used CB750 that's getting a bit long in the tooth. It's not going to last forever. The only viable replacement would be another CB1100. I'm hoping to find a lightly used '17 model in the next year or so.
 
i have gotten rid of alot of really cool bikes that i said i would never do
but i told my wife last week that if i try dont let me, not on this one
 
Man gtmn, I see a sitcom plot right there :) You're gonna end up changing your mind, she says no. You start whinning and ploting, etc. then get the bike and have to hide it from the wife. Pretty sure I've seen that on some tv show!
 
Anybody who has been around here for a while knows my story of continual indecision. I had a hard time making the bike comfortable, but have finally succeeded. The only thing that will separate me from my CB is financial peril.
 
As in needing money to buy another new bike?
 
Back
Top