Is This My Future?

Wagonpeddler_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
As I approach 72 years old, I'm beginning to ponder how much longer I can maneuver a 500+ lb. motorcycle with one replaced knee and the other not so great. Built a new home recently with the biggest downsize being a two car garage....requiring me to use a Harbor Freight dolly to move the CB into position. Almost fell over once while pulling into a parking space and planting my right foot off balance.
I have NEVER been without a motorcycle since I was 17, and couldn't exist without regular "air therapy".
So, I ask myself....Is this my future?
 
Well it could be, but thats not a bad thing. Anything that keeps you on riding. You might look at an NC 750x DCT, like I bought at 71 yo, which is much lighter and is so easy to ride. If you are short the 21 and newer sit lower. My wife at 71 just bought a PCX 150 scooter to ride around on.

I would say another option is a Stryker or Spider, but it sounds like you are space limited.
 
I agree with Ferret: it wouldn’t be a bad thing. And with m in sc: ride what you like.
 
If I were smaller, I would also consider the Rebel 500 (at 70+) and maybe the Rebel 1100 DCT. The latter could be dangerous power to manage.
 
I agree anything that gets you in the breeze. I am at 68 and had a hip replacement 3 weeks ago. 2 years ago got a Triumph Speedmaster to try keep riding , may be time to down size again. Have been looking at the NC 750x for awhile, scarser than hens teeth in my area. Still on the hunt.
 
Wagonpeddler, we all age differently and to each his own when it comes to motorcycles, etc. I will be 83 on my next birthday and the CB1100 is cramping my legs and hips. I mean, literally, sometimes when I leave the driveway, my right hip gets a cramp in it. I recently sold a BMW R1150RT because I tore a rotator cuff in my right shoulder. I can still ride just fine, but will probably soon have a shoulder replacement, which might take me out of the saddle for a few weeks, but I'll be back. But many of my friends from high school and college who would be my age, have died. I flunked my last eye test at the DMV, but a new prescription for my glasses got me my license and I can still tell a truck from a pedestrian, so I am hoping to be able to ride for awhile longer.
The other day I fell in love with a Harley Fat Boy. I wasn't sure I could ride it, what with the shoulder and all, but who cares - it would look so good in my garage!
I want to be like the old motorcyclist who sat waiting for the light to change green and, when it did, he slowly fell to the ground dead.
:beerchug::biker:
 
... gawking at the machine(s) is something I could do all day.

Even if I had brain replacement surgery, I would hope this would be sumthin' that could be still appreciated.
 
Well, I'm not getting any younger and my riding sunset is not that far away, so it's something to consider rather than giving up riding entirely.
 
Wagonpeddler_imp said:
As I approach 72 years old, I'm beginning to ponder how much longer I can maneuver a 500+ lb. motorcycle with one replaced knee and the other not so great. Built a new home recently with the biggest downsize being a two car garage....requiring me to use a Harbor Freight dolly to move the CB into position. Almost fell over once while pulling into a parking space and planting my right foot off balance.
I have NEVER been without a motorcycle since I was 17, and couldn't exist without regular "air therapy".
So, I ask myself....Is this my future?

There's one of these in my garage as well as the Trail variety!!! they're absolutely fantastic machines. so peppy, increadibly light, fun, simple, and reliable. I regularly take mine to work over my bigger bikes.
 
Wagonpeddler_imp said:
As I approach 72 years old, I'm beginning to ponder how much longer I can maneuver a 500+ lb. motorcycle with one replaced knee and the other not so great. Built a new home recently with the biggest downsize being a two car garage....requiring me to use a Harbor Freight dolly to move the CB into position. Almost fell over once while pulling into a parking space and planting my right foot off balance.
I have NEVER been without a motorcycle since I was 17, and couldn't exist without regular "air therapy".
So, I ask myself....Is this my future?
And I would ask...So what if it is? Or a myriad of other possible light weight bikes. For price mainly, I bought a Honda CGL125 while in Costa Rica. Top speed, 60, maybe 65mph on a flat surface, no head wind. But it was perfect for the environment because of so much curvy pavement and gravel roads, I never really needed to go more than 45-50. Most often 25-40. Way too small a bike for me, way too underpowered...and I never cared.

The fun factor was not in any way lessened. I was just grateful that I had a bike for extended stints while there over a period of 5 years.

I think the hard part is the idea of letting go, of having to say adios to something that provided a lot of keen memories. But I'll never underestimate the power of a small bike to put "just as good" smiles out there.

43562b0fa58ad1f393877973e069c2e3.jpg


aecb839f070414a87c2f3f0616665cba.jpg


What's the saying?...when life gives you ...
0c0a3043d3de828c726b00bc25a5eec8.jpg
 
I love those little 125s. I almost tried to smuggle one back in an equipment trailer the last time I came back up from Mexico, but our crew talked me out of it, knowing there's no way I could get it legal in the U.S.

A lot of you guys have some years on me, and I don't see giving up my bikes, but when the time comes, if motorcycles still exist, I'd be happy downsizing as appropriate to keep my spirit on two wheels. Hopefully by that time, freeway commutes will be in my past, and I can slow down and enjoy the ride.
 
My dad started out riding Indians and then switched to Harleys in 1941.

10f4d4975cf0daa6b7fca666499884b1.jpg


As he got older, he down sized to a 350 Yamaha, then a CB 350F, then a CB 200 and finally to this little Moto Guzzi Stornello 125. My mom eventually got her own a Yamaha 70cc step thru U7E.

c2c5f55a895a74cc79b56f3af3a577af.jpg
 
The ferret_imp said:
My dad started out riding Indians and then switched to Harleys in 1941.

10f4d4975cf0daa6b7fca666499884b1.jpg


As he got older, he down sized to a 350 Yamaha, then a CB 350F, then a CB 200 and finally to this little Moto Guzzi Stornello 125. My mom eventually got her own a Yamaha 70cc step thru U7E.

c2c5f55a895a74cc79b56f3af3a577af.jpg
Pretty cool photo, love the color scheme.
 
Thread starter
Lots of kindred spirits here. Appreciate the comments. I waited so long for a CB1100 as none were available for sale around here, until I found one in the dead of winter within a reasonable driving distance. The thought of giving it up (at some point) for...perhaps a scooter...gives me pause.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I love those little 125s. I almost tried to smuggle one back in an equipment trailer the last time I came back up from Mexico, but our crew talked me out of it, knowing there's no way I could get it legal in the U.S.

A lot of you guys have some years on me, and I don't see giving up my bikes, but when the time comes, if motorcycles still exist, I'd be happy downsizing as appropriate to keep my spirit on two wheels. Hopefully by that time, freeway commutes will be in my past, and I can slow down and enjoy the ride.
I thought about riding my CGL125 home to the U.S. I didn't want to give up my "easiest kick-start ever" bike--it had electric too, but it felt cool to kick it. I would have blended right in with the rest of Central America and MX bikes, but I would have had a difficult if not impossible time getting it registered here. I gave it to our community gate-keeper guard, landscaper, maintenance man--a friend in short--in lieu of some work he did for us.

He still has the bike, it's now 10 years old, it serves as his daily transportation and rarely leaves a 5 mile radius from where he lives...it's all dented up from his and his kids' numerous spills along the dirt jungle mountain paths and roads, and there's rust everywhere, speedo's busted...it likely has 30-40 thousand kilometers on it and is running strong.
 
Back
Top