I need shorter rear shocks

ss2wheels_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Please someone tell me what is the stock shock length on my DLX it appears to be 14.25, I really want to go about 1 inch lower.who makes them in shorter lengths:huh:
 
Are you having issues reaching the ground? There are a couple things you can do before going the shorter shock route...like setting rear shock on lowest setting, sliding forks up a bit in the trees, and thicker soled boots.
 
Thread starter
Ferrit, I do plan on bringing the fork tubes up in the trees but I really want shorter shocks also. I am not concerned with losing some lean angle as I dont ride very agressively, at 5ft4 I dont have much choice. I have lowered many bikes this way and I never scrape anything.If necessary. I can even have the kickstand shortened.Also tell me about bar risers that will work with stock cables and wires?
 
Which bike did you get? I have issues with speed bumps bottoming out on the catalytic converter at stock height, and I'm not the only one with this issue.
I think the DLX has more ground clearance due to the change in the pipes.
 
As another option; I had the stock seat made into a cafe seat and this lowered it to where I'm almost flat footed. I'm 5'6" so I know this would work for you.

$425 if you are interested. I'll just have another one made. Only 30 miles on this one. I travel for work way too much and haven't been riding!

Here is the link to the post. http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2102&pid=26730#pid26730

ss2wheels_imp said:
Ferrit, I do plan on bringing the fork tubes up in the trees but I really want shorter shocks also. I am not concerned with losing some lean angle as I dont ride very agressively, at 5ft4 I dont have much choice. I have lowered many bikes this way and I never scrape anything.If necessary. I can even have the kickstand shortened.Also tell me about bar risers that will work with stock cables and wires?
 
ss2wheels_imp said:
Ferrit, I do plan on bringing the fork tubes up in the trees but I really want shorter shocks also. I am not concerned with losing some lean angle as I dont ride very agressively, at 5ft4 I dont have much choice. I have lowered many bikes this way and I never scrape anything.If necessary. I can even have the kickstand shortened.Also tell me about bar risers that will work with stock cables and wires?
You might first look into reshaping / lowering the seat. That might prevent the need to mess with the suspension and at the same time would raise the height of the bars in relationship to the seat.
 
Another option for you - I am also about 5'6" and ordered the Japanese seat from Samurider. Same look as the stock seat, but 1" lower. I also rocked the bars back about a quarter turn.
 
ss2wheels_imp said:
Ferrit, I do plan on bringing the fork tubes up in the trees but I really want shorter shocks also. I am not concerned with losing some lean angle as I dont ride very agressively, at 5ft4 I dont have much choice. I have lowered many bikes this way and I never scrape anything.If necessary. I can even have the kickstand shortened.Also tell me about bar risers that will work with stock cables and wires?
SW Motech has bar risers that should work with the stock cables, especially if you raise the forks in the triple clamps. I have used them on a V-strom, Bonneville and Tiger 1050 with no cable reach problems.

Find them at Twisted Throttle web site.
 
As mentioned, there are several options with lower seats to choose from, but if you're set on shorter shocks, I'd give these guys a call: Home - Race Tech It's been my experience that they can do just about anything for just about any bike with height, spring rate, damping, etc.
Good luck!
 
Randy B_imp said:
Which bike did you get? I have issues with speed bumps bottoming out on the catalytic converter at stock height, and I'm not the only one with this issue.
I think the DLX has more ground clearance due to the change in the pipes.
Perhaps go slower? I've never even come close to bottoming the bike out over a speed bump and I'm north of 250lbs with gear and backpack.
 
Back
Top