I hope I just threw away $680

I look at it this way. If you needed to replace something down the line that failed,how long do you think it would take to exceed the $680 cost ? It is a crap shoot but worth it if needed. I bought it. LouA
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
Im glad it's worked out and m.g. is going to just ride and not worry, be happy, and the extended warranty is a good idea, (I agree) but I thought I'd address the 800lb gorilla in the room.

What is that, you ask?... How many of us keep our bikes five years?

Speaking for myself, I am thoroughly happy with and am enjoying my CB and have no desires on anything else. (I also have a Honda NT in my garage) But, since I returned to riding in 2000, I've owned 9 or 10 bikes, not counting a couple others I've owned at the same time just to play around with. On average, I've kept my "main ride" 2- 2 1/2 years before I see a different "must have".
2 years for 600 Ninja, 35K miles, upgrade to 900
24 years for 900 Ninja with 65K miles
CB1100....still counting
 
Currently own

2006 Honda ST 1300 I've had for 8 years (not planning on selling anytime soon)
2009 Yamaha Majesty I've had for 5 years (not planning on selling anytime soon)
2014 Honda CB 1100 deluxe I've had for 5 months..( will keep this one more than 5 years)

Had 2000 750 Nighthawk which I kept 6 years
Had 2001 Yamaha FZ-1 I kept 5 years
Had 2003 Triumph Bonneville T 100 I kept 6 years

BTW none of the above ever required any type of service work beyond normal maintenance except the Triumph and it was covered under Triumph warranty at the 600 mile service. After that no issues for 30,000 miles on the Bonnie.
 
Well...

2003 HD Sportster, owned 1 year - 3400 miles, no repairs
2004 HD Superglide, still own - 10 years - 23000 miles, no repairs
2009 KLR650, still own - 5 years - 2200 miles, no repairs
2013 Honda CB1100, owned 1 year - 1600 miles, no repairs
2014 Honda CB1100, still own - 5 mths - 950 miles, no repairs

I have no plans on selling anything until I retire (5 years); then I 'might' trade in the Harley for a Road Glide or some other larger touring bike. As you can see, I'm not a high mile rider, but I find that bikes, like cars, rarely break down and if you'll take care of the basic maintenance (fluid changes especially), they'll last a long time. As for cars, I AM a high mileage driver and would say the same things about them. Things have definitely changed for the better in the last 20 years!
 
The terms of most of those warranties usually allows one to cancel within a given time period, depending on the laws in one's particular state. Check out your fine print to be sure.
Regardless, enjoy your new ride, and may it be, trouble free ;)
 
My dealer offers a "VIP" program. It covers all the regular maintenance including parts and labor. I will look up the cost, but I recall the break-even point being somewhere around the third oil change. It's not a warranty, though. Just a prepaid maintenance program, but it's worked out to our advantage over time.
 
I paid $630 for the 5 year HondaCare with Roadside assistance. No 2nd thought, anything I can't fix myself is going to cost at least that much. Motorcycle labor is not cheap. If I breakdown, run out of gas, flat out, no problem. I-800-Hondahelp! Something like that anyhow. :P. I'm a guy that fixes broken things for a living, and the oddest things happen to the most reliable things... Most things that break do so out of the box, or shortly there after. Mostly. I would be out of a job it that was always the case. I don't buy the silly warranties on things that I know are cheaper to replace, but the bike is a major purchase and I like the peace of mind. I also like knowing that Honda is behind it.



Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Learned my lesson the hard way. Like banjobart wrote, I should have gone with blue ridge power sports. I'm guessing that many people go in to buy a motorcycle not expecting or not planning on buying an extended warranty. I had convinced myself that I wasn't going to get one until I got a really good sales pitch that hooked me. I'm starting a new thread to spell out my experience and hopefully save future and current CB owners money if they choose to go with an extended warranty.

I got taken. All I can do now is choose to focus on the fact that I have an amazing bike and spread the word so that people can learn from my mistake.
 
Don't look back, look forward. Yesterday is gone.

Walk it off.

It's all part of the game.

ok I'm out of cliché's

Actually, I think you had it right back on post 10

"Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm going to take ClassicVW's advice and just ride. And Spaceman's right, one major repair and I'm pretty much ahead of the game."
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
banjobart_imp said:
You can find the warranty online with a Google search for $500. You have until the first year of ownership is up to purchase the warranty from any Honda dealer.
I saw it online - $470 for 12 months, $580 for 24 months, $690 for 36 months, and $800 for 48 months. Not sure where you found the $500 figure or how long it's for. I got the 48 months, which begins after the mfg. 1 year warranty expires, for $680 (basically, 4 years additional coverage for the price of 3 years additional coverage). If you tell me 4 additional years is available for $500, I'm gonna be po'd! Okay, not really po'd but I sure is heck will cancel the plan I bought!
I saw it online - $470 for 12 months, $580 for 24 months, $690 for 36 months, and $800 for 48 months. Not sure where you found the $500 figure or how long it's for. I got the 48 months, which begins after the mfg. 1 year warranty expires, for $680 (basically, 4 years additional coverage for the price of 3 years additional coverage). If you tell me 4 additional years is available for $500, I'm gonna be po'd! Okay, not really po'd but I sure is heck will cancel the plan I bought!

I got the 48 month extended warranty for $540.00 from my dealer. Just depends on how willing they are to deal. :beerchug:
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Don't look back, look forward. Yesterday is gone.

Walk it off.

It's all part of the game.

ok I'm out of cliché's

Actually, I think you had it right back on post 10

"Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm going to take ClassicVW's advice and just ride. And Spaceman's right, one major repair and I'm pretty much ahead of the game."
You're right Ferret. And that's exactly what I'm going to do (now that I posted the other thread, haha.) I'm certainly not fuming and obsessing over what happened. Just spreading the word. Hoping someone else can benefit from my experience. I hope my next thread will be a ride report following this weekend's ride!
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Don't look back, look forward. Yesterday is gone.

Walk it off.

It's all part of the game.

ok I'm out of cliché's

Actually, I think you had it right back on post 10

"Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm going to take ClassicVW's advice and just ride. And Spaceman's right, one major repair and I'm pretty much ahead of the game."
You're right Ferret. And that's exactly what I'm going to do (now that I posted the other thread, haha.) I'm certainly not fuming and obsessing over what happened. Just spreading the word. Hoping someone else can benefit from my experience. I hope my next thread will be a ride report following this weekend's ride!
NOW you're talkin' :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top