I hope I just threw away $680

metallyguitarded_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
As expected, when I was signing the paperwork yesterday for my new CB, I got the full-court press to add an extended warranty. I knew it was coming and had already decided it wasn't something I was interested in. My thoughts were: 1) the bike is pretty much bullet proof; 2) if anything goes wrong, I like to do the work myself; and 3) if what needs to be done is beyond my skills or equipment, I have friends with both who enjoy working on bikes.

The warranty is probably the same that some of you got with your bikes - Honda's Protection Plan. Parts and labor with $0 deductible for any repairs (not including routine maintenance). I was told the price was normally $1500 - yeah right - but that I could get it for $999. "No thanks" was my response. After negotiating hard for a great deal on the bike, I didn't want to throw money away on a warranty I'd probably never use. Then they got me - "What if I give it to you at employee pricing? $680 for four additional years of protection."

Well, crap. Five years total coverage. How much is peace of mind worth? For me, I guess $680. What do you think? Did I just throw away that money? How many of you have actually taken your CB in for something to be fixed under warranty?

Okay, gotta go put some more miles on this beauty!
 
All in all, that's not bad for peace of mind for five years. I'd just not worry about it and just ride.
But if it does bother you a lot, you can always cancel that service contract within 72 hours and get refunded.

I have no idea as to what warranty was going to be offered, because it wasn't a Honda dealership I bought my lightly used (574 miles) CB from, ( not officially affiliated with any brand, completely independent ) but on the day when I signed the deal and took delivery, the manager mentioned it will have their- I forget- 30 or 60 day warranty. He also said he didn't know how many months old the bike was, that I could check with Honda and see if I was still in their 12 month warranty period. He then mentioned that he could sell me an extended one, but then said: "Its a Honda, you're not going to need one" and never gave me any details or price, he just shook my hand, said enjoy the bike and went back into his office.
 
Ive always looked at it like this..piece of mind is priceless

I have also always looked at it like this.. Honda is betting $680 that the bike they built for you will not break over the next 4 years

You are betting $680 that it will

Same as when you buy a life insurance policy

The ins co is betting you are not going to die...

you are betting you will.

Crazy huh?
 
I purchased the ext warranty on a different Honda I recently had. It was the additional which wasn't to be effective until the mfg warr had expired. I sold the bike while it was still under the mfg warranty. I requested and received full refund from Honda of the cost of the extended warranty, which never had gone into effect.
 
I declined the extended warranty based on my past experience owning Honda motorcycles, vehicles, and other products. Regular maintenance combined with Honda engineering has worked well without the warranty offer. Usually by-pass the extended warranty "sales pitch" on most purchases.
 
Look at this way: if one significant repair is needed, the warranty is paid for. Or at least we hope so...

I sold a used HD Deuce to an Army Sgt. Major who was on a shoestring budget. The F&I guy sold him the extended warranty (financed) by convincing him it would make sure he wouldn't get whacked with a big repair bill he couldn't pay. Several weeks later he called us from a road trip up in the Blue Ridge. The wheel pulley had come loose and there was considerable damage as a result. Not one penny was covered because the "warranty" didn't cover "consumable" components. Yes, the pulleys, belts, and several other components that were damaged are considered "consumable."

Fortunately the F&I manager and the general manager decided to with the dealer in Kentucky where the guy had broken down to give him at-cost pricing and cover a major part of the bill after I reminded them why we'd sold the warranty to begin with, and that the Sgt. had only had his bike less than a couple of months. Of course, having a 20-year Army Sgt. Major on the phone going from apoplectic to near tears didn't hurt either. You really don't want to get those guys mad at you....
 
Seems to be a reasonable price for the time of coverage. Might have gone for such a deal also. I purchased an extended warranty on a used Chevy van years ago for $750. In the three years I owned the van I had it in for repairs that would have totaled $2500 if not for the coverage I purchased. Paid a $45 dollar co-pay for each repair. Best $750 I ever spent.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm going to take ClassicVW's advice and just ride. And Spaceman's right, one major repair and I'm pretty much ahead of the game. Still, I was curious to know if anyone's actually taken advantage of warranty work on their CB. From my limited time on this forum, I don't see very much at all that goes wrong with them, even the earlier models in 2010 - 2012 before they arrived in the U.S.

And powerdogg, I hear you. That was my mindset going in. I hope to resurrect this thread five years from now and say, "You were right, I didn't need it!"
 
You can find the warranty online with a Google search for $500. You have until the first year of ownership is up to purchase the warranty from any Honda dealer.
 
Thread starter
banjobart_imp said:
You can find the warranty online with a Google search for $500. You have until the first year of ownership is up to purchase the warranty from any Honda dealer.
I saw it online - $470 for 12 months, $580 for 24 months, $690 for 36 months, and $800 for 48 months. Not sure where you found the $500 figure or how long it's for. I got the 48 months, which begins after the mfg. 1 year warranty expires, for $680 (basically, 4 years additional coverage for the price of 3 years additional coverage). If you tell me 4 additional years is available for $500, I'm gonna be po'd! Okay, not really po'd but I sure is heck will cancel the plan I bought!
 
Hope you never need it also however, if you do it will be nice not having to cough up some serious coin. You're basically paying for "peace of mind" which helps you sleep better at night. Sounds like a good price. If I remember correctly mine would have been a couple hundred bucks higher.
 
I almost went for my OEM Honda one too, I think it was about $700 like yours, guess I cheaped out but peace of mind would have been nice.
Some of those other warranties are non-Honda, 3rd party ones I would not trust, so at least you got the one direct from Honda....right
 
Thread starter
Sorry ferret, I'm new around these parts and didn't know I couldn't spell out "po'd." I'll mind my p's and q's better. You should see my potty mouth over at the VFR forum! On second thought, maybe you shouldn't.

Edit: Oh yeah, and "heck" in place of the other bad word. I feel like the boorish American in an upscale French restaurant, loudly calling over the "garcon." My bad.
 
Lol no problemo MG. We try and keep it family friendly here. Big picture... we don't know who our guests are (women? children ? ) and there are usually more guests than members plugged in at any one time, and we would rather put a gentler kinder face on this forum, than many other forums present. Appreciate your understanding and cooperation. If you get the urge to spew a few, you can always drop in on the other forum for awhile lol
 
I'm going with the extended warranty before my one year warranty expires. Being a air cooled bike and living in Florida I'm sure the heat here will have its toll. Funny never thought about it with water cooled bikes or my Harley which is a 99 so I beat the odds with that one. My Triumph came with a 2 year warranty. I think on the CB it may be money well spent if you live in a high temperate high humidity area. Then again who knows?
 
They would not be selling extended warranties if odds were not in their favor not yours so I am against them. I have never bought one in my life and never will. If there is a catastrophic failure it will usually happen right off the bat, not 3 years and 15000 miles down the road. Just my opinion and I just try to play the odds. Of course extendend warranties have bailed some out but I think its a rare event especially with a Honda.
 
Stealth128_imp said:
I'm going with the extended warranty before my one year warranty expires. Being a air cooled bike and living in Florida I'm sure the heat here will have its toll. Funny never thought about it with water cooled bikes or my Harley which is a 99 so I beat the odds with that one. My Triumph came with a 2 year warranty. I think on the CB it may be money well spent if you live in a high temperate high humidity area. Then again who knows?
I've ridden air cooled bikes in the desert since the 80s. Never had any heat related issues. As long as you change the oil regularly, I don't think a hot climate makes much difference.

On the same note, I've never bought an extended warranty for any Japanese bike and never was in a position where I wished I had. If you treat these bikes right, chances of expensive failures are pretty darned slim.
 
Im glad it's worked out and m.g. is going to just ride and not worry, be happy, and the extended warranty is a good idea, (I agree) but I thought I'd address the 800lb gorilla in the room.

What is that, you ask?... How many of us keep our bikes five years?

Speaking for myself, I am thoroughly happy with and am enjoying my CB and have no desires on anything else. (I also have a Honda NT in my garage) But, since I returned to riding in 2000, I've owned 9 or 10 bikes, not counting a couple others I've owned at the same time just to play around with. On average, I've kept my "main ride" 2- 2 1/2 years before I see a different "must have".
 
Back
Top