how to push/pull a CB backwards

j3gq_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Saw a guy in our shop, moving a client's CB backwards into a small corner - totally confident - no problem. And he seemed 5"5 and under 150 pounds. How did he do it ?
I looked, I asked, I tried myself. Here is the recipe I'd like to share, for your own testing with care:

- rider stands on the left side of his girl, engine off, left hand on the handle bar
- lean the bike (carefully) against your hip (those hips can get a little brittle with time ;))
- side-stand UP (no discussion here !) ... you could trip over it !!!!!
- right hand on the saddle (or structure nearby)

AND here is the one important element that was new to me:
= front wheel straight (to go straight) OR full turn (left or right)
= never, ever anything else than full turn or straight.

This stabilizes the move signif - it works fine for me.
 
Yep, works. Been doing it that way for years. Really important to have non-slip shoes on. Bedroom slippers make it a challenge..
 
I try not to use this platform too much to promote my own stuff, but here is a little video I did on moving the bike around. Bare in mind, we are all different and these are suggestions, still i find that an alternative point of view always helps


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Good video, tod.branko. Thanks for sharing.
 
tod.branko_imp said:
I try not to use this platform too much to promote my own stuff, but here is a little video I did on moving the bike around. Bare in mind, we are all different and these are suggestions, still i find that an alternative point of view always helps


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Man that Guzzi stallion looks good.
 
Thread starter
Hi Tod, what you show around 3:20 into the movie "seems" natural, and it is (IMHO) a really bad idea. Sidestand is down, your position (away from the bike) and moving the handle bar at any angle ... all fine on that parking lot. In tricky(er) situations this will bite.
What you say about the clutch (used as a brake) is fine. All the rest I have to see once more.
Different people - different opinions - all fine : let's see what people say after it went wrong ;)
 
j3gq_imp said:
Hi Tod, what you show around 3:20 into the movie "seems" natural, and it is (IMHO) a really bad idea. Sidestand is down, your position (away from the bike) and moving the handle bar at any angle ... all fine on that parking lot. In tricky(er) situations this will bite.
What you say about the clutch (used as a brake) is fine. All the rest I have to see once more.
Different people - different opinions - all fine : let's see what people say after it went wrong ;)
I am away from the bike yes, the bike is on it's balance point, slightly leaning towards my side, bit not enough so I have to hold it, it's about being efficient and doing the job with the least amount of work, steering is in full lock. Again, I'm not preaching just sharing my experience and showing how I do things and if it's helpful for someone, than I'm happy.

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
I saw a guy at a dealership move bikes by standing in front of it, in neutral, sidestand down, push it backwards on the handle bars, and steer it like a forklift. He moved a bunch of bikes into a neat row to close the doors for the night. It helps if the floor is linoleum or something similar so the sidestand will slide over it.
 
My CB is parked behind my car in the garage. If I ever need to use my car, I have to roll the CB behind my wife's car, then back my car out of the garage.
Even if my wife says "Don't bother moving your bike, I'm not going anywhere", I always get out of the car, and roll the bike back.

It would be inevitable that the one time I don't, my wife would have to go somewhere, and would have to try to tilt my bike up, and roll it back out of the way.

Since it's pretty slow here at work with not much going in and out of my warehouse, I've been parking inside. to go home, I have to sit on the bike, and paddle it back out of the walk-in door. It's a ballet of leaning to one side to clear one mirror, then lean to the other side to clear the other mirror. Good for leg strength, though.
 
Being a munchkin and unable to sit on the bike (any bike almost) and back it up, I stand to the left side, left hand on the left handlebar, right hand on the seat, side stand down, and push, steering with my left hand. Sometimes, I have to use my hip to get the bigger bikes off the side stand to start the back up process. I have to back my bikes out of the garage everyday to ride. Straight out then in a 1/4 circle to the right, to get them facing uphill straight out the driveway. The only time I dropped one was the time I put the sidestand up and forgot. Backed it straight out, did the 1/4 circle and started to let it rest on the sidestand that wasn't there. Down it went.
 
These methods all work for me (except Charlie Bravo's "forklift"-method: I leave that to the pros), but I still prefer to play safe and sit on my bike while moving it with my legs, as a 3-year old on his pushbike.
 
Hi Peter,
A quick question when using your dolly.
Do you have to use a 2x4 under the motorcycle, I am assuming that the exhaust pipes will be touching on the dolly plate before the frame tubes.
Regards
Alain
 
To be honest, I never really give it a thought. I just handle the bike for the situation it is in. Just do it and be done with it. Never use props.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
To be honest, I never really give it a thought. I just handle the bike for the situation it is in. Just do it and be done with it. Never use props.
That is the same as I do , don't even think about it , just DO it.
 
Alain Lee_imp said:
Hi Peter,
A quick question when using your dolly.
Do you have to use a 2x4 under the motorcycle, I am assuming that the exhaust pipes will be touching on the dolly plate before the frame tubes.
Regards
Alain
A few years ago, I handled positioning my bike on the dolly by myself...now as I get younger, I only ask my son to pull back the bike = done.

I don't use my dolly daily during full/warm season but mostly at he beginning, end of it and for final winter hibernation, when both cars need to be parked inside of my garage. In the 2021 season this may change, as both of us got rid of our two old cars.

No need for 2x4 but to place the CB on the dolly only by myself, I'll get two 1" thick hard rubber blocks 10"x10" and place them under each wheel.
This combination will be a peanut as the dolly is just under an inch above the ground. There is no interference with anything, including the exhaust pipe...and do not think it will be with your '17 model of dual pipes.

Get ready for 2021 season, as we need to clock many more kms :biker:

675607b6b22245360ad47d0b3d28e1cf.jpg


f5e5ee3a0e13d319b997ddfb69d3c9e8.jpg


ca0842651c7f42ec7c8f438fad629710.jpg
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
Hi Peter,
A quick question when using your dolly.
Do you have to use a 2x4 under the motorcycle, I am assuming that the exhaust pipes will be touching on the dolly plate before the frame tubes.
Regards
Alain
A few years ago, I handled positioning my bike on the dolly by myself...now as I get younger, I only ask my son to pull back the bike = done.

I don't use my dolly daily during full/warm season but mostly at he beginning, end of it and for final winter hibernation, when both cars need to be parked inside of my garage. In the 2021 season this may change, as both of us got rid of our two old cars.

No need for 2x4 but to place the CB on the dolly only by myself, I'll get two 1" thick hard rubber blocks 10"x10" and place them under each wheel.
This combination will be a peanut as the dolly is just under an inch above the ground. There is no interference with anything, including the exhaust pipe...and do not think it will be with your '17 model of dual pipes.

Get ready for 2021 season, as we need to clock many more kms :biker:

675607b6b22245360ad47d0b3d28e1cf.jpg


f5e5ee3a0e13d319b997ddfb69d3c9e8.jpg


ca0842651c7f42ec7c8f438fad629710.jpg
I am afraid my imagination is too limited when it comes to your explanation. Do you see a chance to have your sun put the CB on the dolly while you are taking a short video ? ... with or without 2x4/s or rubber pads ?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Being a munchkin and unable to sit on the bike (any bike almost) and back it up, I stand to the left side, left hand on the left handlebar, right hand on the seat, side stand down, and push, steering with my left hand. Sometimes, I have to use my hip to get the bigger bikes off the side stand to start the back up process. I have to back my bikes out of the garage everyday to ride. Straight out then in a 1/4 circle to the right, to get them facing uphill straight out the driveway. The only time I dropped one was the time I put the sidestand up and forgot. Backed it straight out, did the 1/4 circle and started to let it rest on the sidestand that wasn't there. Down it went.
Same technique I use ferret but I back mine into position at the end of a ride so I can ride out next time.
 
j3gq_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
Hi Peter,
A quick question when using your dolly.
Do you have to use a 2x4 under the motorcycle, I am assuming that the exhaust pipes will be touching on the dolly plate before the frame tubes.
Regards
Alain
A few years ago, I handled positioning my bike on the dolly by myself...now as I get younger, I only ask my son to pull back the bike = done.

I don't use my dolly daily during full/warm season but mostly at he beginning, end of it and for final winter hibernation, when both cars need to be parked inside of my garage. In the 2021 season this may change, as both of us got rid of our two old cars.

No need for 2x4 but to place the CB on the dolly only by myself, I'll get two 1" thick hard rubber blocks 10"x10" and place them under each wheel.
This combination will be a peanut as the dolly is just under an inch above the ground. There is no interference with anything, including the exhaust pipe...and do not think it will be with your '17 model of dual pipes.

Get ready for 2021 season, as we need to clock many more kms :biker:

675607b6b22245360ad47d0b3d28e1cf.jpg


f5e5ee3a0e13d319b997ddfb69d3c9e8.jpg


ca0842651c7f42ec7c8f438fad629710.jpg
I am afraid my imagination is too limited when it comes to your explanation. Do you see a chance to have your sun put the CB on the dolly while you are taking a short video ? ... with or without 2x4/s or rubber pads ?
I am afraid my imagination is too limited when it comes to your explanation. Do you see a chance to have your sun put the CB on the dolly while you are taking a short video ? ... with or without 2x4/s or rubber pads ?

I have one of these dollies too and it’s usually quite tough to get up on the center stand as the leverage point of the stand becoming engaged and popping the rear tire off the ground ends up being short circuited by the ~1.5” height of the platform part of the dolley.

Rolling each tire onto a 2”x4” or even better, a 2”x6” could be a good way to lighten the load, which I have yet to try and sounds like what PB is describing with his rubber blocks.

This is how I’m interpreting your operation PB, please let me know if I’m missing something. Once the bike’s tires were on the blocks/boards (1.5” or 3.25 cm height in the case of the boards), then set to rest on its side stand: roll the dolley into position where the two feet from the center stand will make contact when engaged, tip the bike up off the side stand, engage the center stand, exerting the typical amount of force we are all used to through the center stand step, and once the rear tire pops up, kicking the rear board out from under the elevated rear tire. The front would require scooting your weight backward on the seat, lowering the rear of the bike and either kicking the board out with some creative footwork or with a hockey stick or similar thing that’s nearby. Did I get that right?
 
Back
Top