how to push/pull a CB backwards

run-tmc_imp said:
j3gq_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
Hi Peter,
A quick question when using your dolly.
Do you have to use a 2x4 under the motorcycle, I am assuming that the exhaust pipes will be touching on the dolly plate before the frame tubes.
Regards
Alain
A few years ago, I handled positioning my bike on the dolly by myself...now as I get younger, I only ask my son to pull back the bike = done.

I don't use my dolly daily during full/warm season but mostly at he beginning, end of it and for final winter hibernation, when both cars need to be parked inside of my garage. In the 2021 season this may change, as both of us got rid of our two old cars.

No need for 2x4 but to place the CB on the dolly only by myself, I'll get two 1" thick hard rubber blocks 10"x10" and place them under each wheel.
This combination will be a peanut as the dolly is just under an inch above the ground. There is no interference with anything, including the exhaust pipe...and do not think it will be with your '17 model of dual pipes.

Get ready for 2021 season, as we need to clock many more kms :biker:

675607b6b22245360ad47d0b3d28e1cf.jpg


f5e5ee3a0e13d319b997ddfb69d3c9e8.jpg


ca0842651c7f42ec7c8f438fad629710.jpg
I am afraid my imagination is too limited when it comes to your explanation. Do you see a chance to have your sun put the CB on the dolly while you are taking a short video ? ... with or without 2x4/s or rubber pads ?
I am afraid my imagination is too limited when it comes to your explanation. Do you see a chance to have your sun put the CB on the dolly while you are taking a short video ? ... with or without 2x4/s or rubber pads ?

I have one of these dollies too and it’s usually quite tough to get up on the center stand as the leverage point of the stand becoming engaged and popping the rear tire off the ground ends up being short circuited by the ~1.5” height of the platform part of the dolley.

Rolling each tire onto a 2”x4” or even better, a 2”x6” could be a good way to lighten the load, which I have yet to try and sounds like what PB is describing with his rubber blocks.

This is how I’m interpreting your operation PB, please let me know if I’m missing something. Once the bike’s tires were on the blocks/boards (1.5” or 3.25 cm height in the case of the boards), then set to rest on its side stand: roll the dolley into position where the two feet from the center stand will make contact when engaged, tip the bike up off the side stand, engage the center stand, exerting the typical amount of force we are all used to through the center stand step, and once the rear tire pops up, kicking the rear board out from under the elevated rear tire. The front would require scooting your weight backward on the seat, lowering the rear of the bike and either kicking the board out with some creative footwork or with a hockey stick or similar thing that’s nearby. Did I get that right?
I am afraid my imagination is too limited when it comes to your explanation. Do you see a chance to have your sun put the CB on the dolly while you are taking a short video ? ... with or without 2x4/s or rubber pads ?

I have one of these dollies too and it’s usually quite tough to get up on the center stand as the leverage point of the stand becoming engaged and popping the rear tire off the ground ends up being short circuited by the ~1.5” height of the platform part of the dolley.

Rolling each tire onto a 2”x4” or even better, a 2”x6” could be a good way to lighten the load, which I have yet to try and sounds like what PB is describing with his rubber blocks.

This is how I’m interpreting your operation PB, please let me know if I’m missing something. Once the bike’s tires were on the blocks/boards (1.5” or 3.25 cm height in the case of the boards), then set to rest on its side stand: roll the dolley into position where the two feet from the center stand will make contact when engaged, tip the bike up off the side stand, engage the center stand, exerting the typical amount of force we are all used to through the center stand step, and once the rear tire pops up, kicking the rear board out from under the elevated rear tire. The front would require scooting your weight backward on the seat, lowering the rear of the bike and either kicking the board out with some creative footwork or with a hockey stick or similar thing that’s nearby. Did I get that right? Sounds all a bit complicated to me !
 
Houtman_imp said:
run-tmc_imp said:
j3gq_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
Hi Peter,
A quick question when using your dolly.
Do you have to use a 2x4 under the motorcycle, I am assuming that the exhaust pipes will be touching on the dolly plate before the frame tubes.
Regards
Alain
A few years ago, I handled positioning my bike on the dolly by myself...now as I get younger, I only ask my son to pull back the bike = done.

I don't use my dolly daily during full/warm season but mostly at he beginning, end of it and for final winter hibernation, when both cars need to be parked inside of my garage. In the 2021 season this may change, as both of us got rid of our two old cars.

No need for 2x4 but to place the CB on the dolly only by myself, I'll get two 1" thick hard rubber blocks 10"x10" and place them under each wheel.
This combination will be a peanut as the dolly is just under an inch above the ground. There is no interference with anything, including the exhaust pipe...and do not think it will be with your '17 model of dual pipes.

Get ready for 2021 season, as we need to clock many more kms :biker:

675607b6b22245360ad47d0b3d28e1cf.jpg


f5e5ee3a0e13d319b997ddfb69d3c9e8.jpg


ca0842651c7f42ec7c8f438fad629710.jpg
I am afraid my imagination is too limited when it comes to your explanation. Do you see a chance to have your sun put the CB on the dolly while you are taking a short video ? ... with or without 2x4/s or rubber pads ?
I am afraid my imagination is too limited when it comes to your explanation. Do you see a chance to have your sun put the CB on the dolly while you are taking a short video ? ... with or without 2x4/s or rubber pads ?

I have one of these dollies too and it’s usually quite tough to get up on the center stand as the leverage point of the stand becoming engaged and popping the rear tire off the ground ends up being short circuited by the ~1.5” height of the platform part of the dolley.

Rolling each tire onto a 2”x4” or even better, a 2”x6” could be a good way to lighten the load, which I have yet to try and sounds like what PB is describing with his rubber blocks.

This is how I’m interpreting your operation PB, please let me know if I’m missing something. Once the bike’s tires were on the blocks/boards (1.5” or 3.25 cm height in the case of the boards), then set to rest on its side stand: roll the dolley into position where the two feet from the center stand will make contact when engaged, tip the bike up off the side stand, engage the center stand, exerting the typical amount of force we are all used to through the center stand step, and once the rear tire pops up, kicking the rear board out from under the elevated rear tire. The front would require scooting your weight backward on the seat, lowering the rear of the bike and either kicking the board out with some creative footwork or with a hockey stick or similar thing that’s nearby. Did I get that right?
I am afraid my imagination is too limited when it comes to your explanation. Do you see a chance to have your sun put the CB on the dolly while you are taking a short video ? ... with or without 2x4/s or rubber pads ?

I have one of these dollies too and it’s usually quite tough to get up on the center stand as the leverage point of the stand becoming engaged and popping the rear tire off the ground ends up being short circuited by the ~1.5” height of the platform part of the dolley.

Rolling each tire onto a 2”x4” or even better, a 2”x6” could be a good way to lighten the load, which I have yet to try and sounds like what PB is describing with his rubber blocks.

This is how I’m interpreting your operation PB, please let me know if I’m missing something. Once the bike’s tires were on the blocks/boards (1.5” or 3.25 cm height in the case of the boards), then set to rest on its side stand: roll the dolley into position where the two feet from the center stand will make contact when engaged, tip the bike up off the side stand, engage the center stand, exerting the typical amount of force we are all used to through the center stand step, and once the rear tire pops up, kicking the rear board out from under the elevated rear tire. The front would require scooting your weight backward on the seat, lowering the rear of the bike and either kicking the board out with some creative footwork or with a hockey stick or similar thing that’s nearby. Did I get that right? Sounds all a bit complicated to me !
Don't mind, with a castle as a garage you won't need it. :cool:

In a tight garage it might be handy to put the motorcycle aside.

67a8874061eaf706a68918019d9bff3e.jpg
 
j3gq_imp said:
I found a similar device in the Netherlands, which seems to eliminate the problem with the center stand, and leverage. May be worth looking at the product page and the schematics as they are offering world-wide shipping ...

U-Turn Motor Mover - Acebikes - Motorcycle Handling Solutions

https://www.acebikes.com/wp-content/uploads/Manual_U-Turn_Motor_Mover.pdf

It also comes in two sizes, the bigger needed for a CB1100.

Looks like a neat bit of kit if things were tight

I'm pretty sure I couldn't get either of my bikes on the center stand on one like PB has. I have a tough enough time on level ground and cant do it by myself on a lift either
 
Houtman_imp said:
run-tmc_imp said:
j3gq_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
Hi Peter,
A quick question when using your dolly.
Do you have to use a 2x4 under the motorcycle, I am assuming that the exhaust pipes will be touching on the dolly plate before the frame tubes.
Regards
Alain
A few years ago, I handled positioning my bike on the dolly by myself...now as I get younger, I only ask my son to pull back the bike = done.

I don't use my dolly daily during full/warm season but mostly at he beginning, end of it and for final winter hibernation, when both cars need to be parked inside of my garage. In the 2021 season this may change, as both of us got rid of our two old cars.

No need for 2x4 but to place the CB on the dolly only by myself, I'll get two 1" thick hard rubber blocks 10"x10" and place them under each wheel.
This combination will be a peanut as the dolly is just under an inch above the ground. There is no interference with anything, including the exhaust pipe...and do not think it will be with your '17 model of dual pipes.

Get ready for 2021 season, as we need to clock many more kms :biker:

675607b6b22245360ad47d0b3d28e1cf.jpg


f5e5ee3a0e13d319b997ddfb69d3c9e8.jpg


ca0842651c7f42ec7c8f438fad629710.jpg
I am afraid my imagination is too limited when it comes to your explanation. Do you see a chance to have your sun put the CB on the dolly while you are taking a short video ? ... with or without 2x4/s or rubber pads ?
I am afraid my imagination is too limited when it comes to your explanation. Do you see a chance to have your sun put the CB on the dolly while you are taking a short video ? ... with or without 2x4/s or rubber pads ?

I have one of these dollies too and it’s usually quite tough to get up on the center stand as the leverage point of the stand becoming engaged and popping the rear tire off the ground ends up being short circuited by the ~1.5” height of the platform part of the dolley.

Rolling each tire onto a 2”x4” or even better, a 2”x6” could be a good way to lighten the load, which I have yet to try and sounds like what PB is describing with his rubber blocks.

This is how I’m interpreting your operation PB, please let me know if I’m missing something. Once the bike’s tires were on the blocks/boards (1.5” or 3.25 cm height in the case of the boards), then set to rest on its side stand: roll the dolley into position where the two feet from the center stand will make contact when engaged, tip the bike up off the side stand, engage the center stand, exerting the typical amount of force we are all used to through the center stand step, and once the rear tire pops up, kicking the rear board out from under the elevated rear tire. The front would require scooting your weight backward on the seat, lowering the rear of the bike and either kicking the board out with some creative footwork or with a hockey stick or similar thing that’s nearby. Did I get that right?
I am afraid my imagination is too limited when it comes to your explanation. Do you see a chance to have your sun put the CB on the dolly while you are taking a short video ? ... with or without 2x4/s or rubber pads ?

I have one of these dollies too and it’s usually quite tough to get up on the center stand as the leverage point of the stand becoming engaged and popping the rear tire off the ground ends up being short circuited by the ~1.5” height of the platform part of the dolley.

Rolling each tire onto a 2”x4” or even better, a 2”x6” could be a good way to lighten the load, which I have yet to try and sounds like what PB is describing with his rubber blocks.

This is how I’m interpreting your operation PB, please let me know if I’m missing something. Once the bike’s tires were on the blocks/boards (1.5” or 3.25 cm height in the case of the boards), then set to rest on its side stand: roll the dolley into position where the two feet from the center stand will make contact when engaged, tip the bike up off the side stand, engage the center stand, exerting the typical amount of force we are all used to through the center stand step, and once the rear tire pops up, kicking the rear board out from under the elevated rear tire. The front would require scooting your weight backward on the seat, lowering the rear of the bike and either kicking the board out with some creative footwork or with a hockey stick or similar thing that’s nearby. Did I get that right? Sounds all a bit complicated to me !
I am afraid my imagination is too limited when it comes to your explanation. Do you see a chance to have your sun put the CB on the dolly while you are taking a short video ? ... with or without 2x4/s or rubber pads ? I have one of these dollies too and it’s usually quite tough to get up on the center stand as the leverage point of the stand becoming engaged and popping the rear tire off the ground ends up being short circuited by the ~1.5” height of the platform part of the dolley.
Rolling each tire onto a 2”x4” or even better, a 2”x6” could be a good way to lighten the load, which I have yet to try and sounds like what PB is describing with his rubber blocks.
This is how I’m interpreting your operation PB, please let me know if I’m missing something. Once the bike’s tires were on the blocks/boards (1.5” or 3.25 cm height in the case of the boards), then set to rest on its side stand: roll the dolley into position where the two feet from the center stand will make contact when engaged, tip the bike up off the side stand, engage the center stand, exerting the typical amount of force we are all used to through the center stand step, and once the rear tire pops up, kicking the rear board out from under the elevated rear tire. The front would require scooting your weight backward on the seat, lowering the rear of the bike and either kicking the board out with some creative footwork or with a hockey stick or similar thing that’s nearby. Did I get that right? Sounds all a bit complicated to me !
You are perfectly correct j3gq

Sorry, no video as the bike is hibernating.....pics will do instead:

e5f3c04308ef56176d3600f760836b08.jpg

Rubber pads on garage floor, most likely 1" thick but also have a thiner one of 3/4"..or if needed any thickness
b8ea6132c2e4d074a882df321d798801.jpg


If rubber pads are too thick, any bike will tilt more as the side stand automatically becomes shorter. So use pad thickness from 3/4'-1"
I also have a side stand enlarger that will compensate the eventual issue to a satisfactory degree.

87aca8047a32ba33e44d3d971804079a.jpg


1. ride on rubber pads
2. side stand out, bike parked
3. yellow dolly under the bike with all 4 casters locked (1,100+ lbs weight capacity)
4. lift the bike on a yellow dolly which has hard rubber casters for easy manoeuvring
5. remove rubber pads
6. swing/maneuver your bike as desired
I have epoxy floor in my garage, easy to maintain and swing my dolly around.
Video clip while practicing most likely in March/April.

I bought my dolly 2 years ago from Canadian Twisted Throttle but is no longer listed..??
US info, courtesy of our Lord Popgun:
https://admorelighting.com/product/park-n-move/
Made in Canada :cool:

P.S.
You can even park yours parallel to or behind Djang's :P

203f4e066997ccdbb29a2988823a296d.jpg
 
Seems like quite the apparatus and floor area. Hmm.


Nevertheless, should be cool to see the CB floating around to wherever it needs to nestle.
 
PB, it was run-tmc who provided the lucid description of how you get the bike on the dolly.
 
Back
Top